PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 AM #1
p8ntballer101
YETI

has been a member for 10 years
Lightbulb Bringing Technology to the Reball idea

After watching videos of people playing paintball on indoor basketball courts @ schools and churches. I kind of fell in love with the Reball Idea: using foam paintballs instead of actual paint filled spheres.
Benefits: Reusable, less mess, ect. Drawback: CHEATER CENTRAL.

My idea
If you inserted 'microchips' into the rebound and possibly 'sensors' into player apparel. We could make a reball smart enough to electronically signal the ref/player that its has made contact and that person is out. Stealing some ideas from lame Laser Tag I believe it should make a noise to specify the hit.
This would bring a new age of paintball and potentially making it more easy to film on TV.

I am dreaming of new field designs.
Thanks Nation.
APPA Player ID#9837 - CURRENT RANK: D3
FIRE IN THE HOLE!~ DP G4 APE RAMPAGE LED BOARD TECHT BOLT SP FULL FREAK W/ AA TIP ROTOR 77cu NINJA TANK DYE HYPER3 REG EXALT TANK and REG GRIP (onT e c h P B@:: p8ntballer101 )
p8ntballer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM #2
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Not saying its a bad idea but, I know for a fact I wouldn't pay for a suit that had sensors all over it as I am sure its costly. The cost for a place to maintain said suit would probably outweigh how many customers you'd have as well. Not to mention, the suit would more than likely be warm as it would have to have 2 layers and be able to sustain impacts.
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 AM #3
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
I understand these reballs could be reused.... but for one the initial cost of buying them would be insanely high.... reballs are already expensive... imagine if every one of them had to have a chip inside of it. Most reballs fields lose a few hundred a day to people picking them up and pocketing them to take home and tech their guns inside.

Second thing is what rex said... the suit would be a huge cost. Sure, people could rent them, but for one. I wouldnt want to wear some nasty rental suit, and for two, the field would then incur the inital costs.... Which most fields couldnt afford.

Its a good idea, and in a perfectly rich world, it would be awesome... but theres just not enough money and interest in the sport to warrant this
Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 AM #4
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
What about gun hits or mask or packs? Would all of these need this new sensor as well?
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM #5
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
http://www.lazerball.com/lazerskinz-hit-tracker-vest

There you go.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 PM #6
Iowa
Shooting ropes at dopes

Annual Supporting Member
Iowa is BST Legit
Iowa owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Iowa supports Team VICIOUS
reballs will simply never be "paint"ball
Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 PM #7
p8ntballer101
YETI

FIRE IN THE HOLE!~ DP G4 APE RAMPAGE LED BOARD TECHT BOLT SP FULL FREAK W/ AA TIP ROTOR 77cu NINJA TANK DYE HYPER3 REG EXALT TANK and REG GRIP (onT e c h P B@:: p8ntballer101 )
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 PM #8
p8ntballer101
YETI

Above is an idea I had for the layout. I will probably re post this under a more proper tittle. but imagine this being a dome. with 4 teams of 2 or more. this could be done with regular paint. what do you think the future or paintball will bring?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 AM #9
p8ntballer101
YETI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
dude good looking ty ty
Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 AM #10
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballer101 View Post
Above is an idea I had for the layout. I will probably re post this under a more proper tittle. but imagine this being a dome. with 4 teams of 2 or more. this could be done with regular paint. what do you think the future or paintball will bring?
I'm not too sure what you are going for here?

Do you think you just invented a new type of field? Or are you just asking a generalized question of what do we think the future of paintball will bring?

Because I've played at a similar type of field, similar lay out, only it was outdoors and 2 teams not 4. But, pretty much the same setup. Unless you plan on building a MASSIVE complex, with a field layout like that and 4 teams it would be a big cluster ****.

But, do what you want to do and keep your ideas going. I know for one though, that if you put a poll up asking about interest in the original idea, I'd vote no.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM #11
Zippin35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
So what happens on gun hits or leg hits or anywhere the vest doesnt come in contact with the paintball? Just curious as this seems interesting.
New England Crusade #35
Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 PM #12
p8ntballer101
YETI

It all ties together. The picture is a dome layout for a FUTURISTIC arena type speed ball field. The 'smart ball' lets call it, would have to decipher if it has made contact with anything other than a net or a prop. The vests could be used as a point calculator. Different points for different areas hit? Granted I am talking about something that doesn't exist and it would generally be a different game then what we are playing today. but these two ideas (in my opinion) solve two industry problems. Recording it for TV production and Cost. Cost because these smart balls would be standard, reusable and we could have more than two pro teams going at once. Making it smart would allow the refs to do a better job and since they sucks as* currently i think they need the help. Getting more people out more often and consistently is my objective rexisme. Thanks for looking at it dudes! keep the convo going. I need all the help I can before I build it in my backyard. behind my wifes back! lol
Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 PM #13
p8ntballer101
YETI

my vision is for this to have a NBA scoreboard in the center. NFL AstroTurf in an NFL style dome. Have a hit confirmed and that players marker wont shoot. and the action is more traceable and recordable.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 AM #14
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
Good luck OP.........

However, I think you watch too much tv/sci-fi ****.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM #15
Zippin35

I mean....way to think outside the box I guess. Paintball is hard to watch because there is no focal point, if you add 2 more teams to the mix you think that will make it easier to record and air? Also, the points idea is ludicrous, this isn't a video game. If you award points for areas hit you will just end up with rampant bunkering to get a shot to the most valuable area. I just think we are trying way too hard to make this sport something its not.
New England Crusade #35
Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 AM #16
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

It can happen. You just need to figure out how to develop the chips with vibration sensors, proximity sensors, accelerometers, gyroscopes or whatever. There is a company that makes these chips in nano sizes for cheap. You just need some engineer to figure it all out.
STMicroelectronics, I used to have stock in this company, but it is having some serious debt issues.

http://www.st.com/internet/com/home/home.jsp

This goes beyond most people's intelligence level, but just look at the press releases.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 11-16-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM #17
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35 View Post
I mean....way to think outside the box I guess. Paintball is hard to watch because there is no focal point, if you add 2 more teams to the mix you think that will make it easier to record and air? Also, the points idea is ludicrous, this isn't a video game. If you award points for areas hit you will just end up with rampant bunkering to get a shot to the most valuable area. I just think we are trying way too hard to make this sport something its not.
As easy as we disagree, I do agree.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:19 AM #18
p8ntballer101
YETI

I emailed the editor of 68 caliber paintball magazine. He agreed that cost, refs and repeat customers are things that need to change in this sport. What "out of the box" ideas can we come up with then?
Throwing money at it just doesn't work in today's economic climate.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 AM #19
Zippin35

Perhaps it not about thinking outside the box. Why do we need to change the sport so badly anyways? I dont play paintball for the money or Espn highlights, I play it for the fun.
New England Crusade #35
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 AM #20
p8ntballer101
YETI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35 View Post
Perhaps it not about thinking outside the box. Why do we need to change the sport so badly anyways? I dont play paintball for the money or Espn highlights, I play it for the fun.

Because its going to be owned by 2 major companies soon. I think it needs to be more sustainable and marketable. It may sound a little contradictory but on a pro level it really should be more uniform. NPPL PSP MILLENNIUM its a waste of resources.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 AM #21
Zippin35

Perhaps a merger would be the better route than a complete overhaul of the sport, would it not?
New England Crusade #35