PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 PM #1
chrisdelay

chrisdelay has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not new (but may as well be), need advice

So, a little background:

I managed an indoor field in like 1996 for a year or two that was pump only. Fell madly in love with my "mostly stock class" Phantom (7 oz tank).

I've got a Cocker Trilogy (uhhh...red/black one, I can't remember which that one is)...played with it a few times but it's a solid meh.

I'm looking to fly clear the heck across the country (from Oregon to Maryland) to play outdoor rec ball with a few people I've been online gaming with for years now. I'm looking to buy something else that's a little snazzier than the cheap Cocker wannabe I've got now.

I remembering back when being dazzled and amazed by watching the how-to VHS tape of a stock Automag being dryfired to something mind-boggling (like 20 shots per second, I think?). Looking at the electo-pneumatics of today...flip a switch and it'll be full auto (or may as well be full auto) makes me weep.

So, I'm looking for some input. I want something that I can crank paint down range...but because I'm pulling the trigger fast. I'd like to avoid anything I've gotta stick batteries in (beyond, of course, the hopper), but I also don't want to look like a complete Luddite.

Anyone have any input? Are there any electronic guns that aren't complete cheese? Are Maggies still around, and have they gotten past the issues of "the tiniest bit of liquid CO2 on the seals and you're replacing them" and "it doesn't recharge between shots fast enough to sustain rapid fire"? Are Cockers still as obnoxious and finicky in their timing as they used to be, or has that been figured out?

Help help!
chrisdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM #2
jellyghost

You can still order a new mag from AGD, and there are plenty of mags that run on HPA. I think AGD was the first to introduced HPA. I would suggest an automag with an RT valve. Quite a bit of information can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automag_(paintball_marker)
and you should be able to pickup a good one in the forum here. If you want an inexpensive automag classic, pm me.
A rugged woodsball option would be the Tippman A5. The new GOG Enemy is a good cheap new option too. If you want retro, check out mcarterbrown.
jellyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 PM #3
Bloodymurder

Bloodymurder supports Empire
pretty much any electronic gun $300 and up would serve you just fine. Electronic markers today are fairly reliable as well.

If you're looking for something in the mid-range, I would look into picking up a used Empire Axe, Planet Eclipse Etha, or even a Planet Eclipse Etek 3/4.

Any one of these options will rain sustained hellfire down on your opponent and will keep shooting through mostly any conditions you may encounter.

Hope this helps

Albion College Lacrosse
Bloodymurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 PM #4
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Where you playing at in Maryland?
dps093 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 PM #5
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
As someone who also played back in those days.....I have to honestly say the electonic guns are far superior in performance to those oldies. Smoother action, lighter weight, way less ball chops. The batteries last a long time....it's not like you have to put in a new one every time you play.

Now obviously if you're only buying a gun to play one time you don't need to go all out. A simple entry level mechanical gun will probably work fine for you. They can shoot decently fast if you have the proper hopper on top. They won't cost a fortune either. As jellyghost suggested the GOG Enemy may be the gun for you. It uses a 3 way type valve(like the cockers did) to activate a more modern spool valve based gun. Fully mechanical but with a more modern twist. They're pretty cheap too. Any of the new tippmann guns is always a fine choice. You could buy an old mag but make sure it has a verticle feed with real ball detents, not nubbins or you won't be able to run a good force feed hopper on it without issues.

If you have a mechanical gun I highly suggest you get a force feed hopper. Not for the speed but for the more consistent ball feeding. It will help prevent you from half stoking and chopping balls.....though it's not going to solve it 100%. Get a nice air tank and have at it.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:53 PM #6
chrisdelay

chrisdelay has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll look down the Maggie route with HPA. Might be nice getting back to my roots.

As for which field, looks like it's actually Skyline Paintball in Strasburg, VA...so a little bit of a road trip, but still.
chrisdelay is offline   Reply With Quote