PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-06-2014, 05:23 PM #1
woodchop51

woodchop51 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
woodchop51 supports Empire
What's easier/cheaper - build from scratch or upgrade from stock?

Just got a 68 automag classic. I would like to upgrade it to create something similar to H4ZE's new mag: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4071689

My question is, considering how much would need to be replaced - frame, body, valve/bolt, etc. is it cheaper/easier to start from the ground up, building a gun from individual parts or starting from the stock gun?

Now that I have a stock gun in hand, it seems like starting from the ground up would work just as well. Only part I'm not sure of is the rail, can you buy those individually from somewhere?

My apologies if this is an issue that has already been discussed ad nauseum. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
woodchop51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2014, 05:49 PM #2
C_losjoker

If you the upgrade route, buy rail here, body there, frame over there and such. Before long you will have 5-10 automags. And still some parts left over.

If you look around or post a wtb threat you likely find what you want in one set up and might be able to keep your mag count low for a little while longer.

And yes you can change any and every part of an automag including the rail. Only one that is not interchangeable with any other automags is the classic RT automag.
C_losjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 PM #3
woodchop51

yea, might try the wtb route. might be pretty tough to get it all in one setup tho.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 PM #4
Nobody609

Nobody609 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
its a 50/50 prospect to scratch build vs. building off a base. if you scratch build, you aren't left with parts that you don't want/need or might not be able to off load. if you are using base gun, you can move in the new parts and still have a gun that works.

so its a toss up between time vs. money, usage vs. delays.
Nobody609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:48 AM #5
woodchop51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody609 View Post
its a 50/50 prospect to scratch build vs. building off a base. if you scratch build, you aren't left with parts that you don't want/need or might not be able to off load. if you are using base gun, you can move in the new parts and still have a gun that works.

so its a toss up between time vs. money, usage vs. delays.
That's a good point that I didn't consider. It would be nice to have a functioning gun throughout the upgrade process. This is more of a project since I already have a gun, but probably would be a bit more gratifying to use it after each upgrade. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:24 PM #6
C_losjoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchop51 View Post
That's a good point that I didn't consider. It would be nice to have a functioning gun throughout the upgrade process. This is more of a project since I already have a gun, but probably would be a bit more gratifying to use it after each upgrade. Thanks for the input.
going that direction, hit up Luke on AO. He has the frames in stock and is going to be doing a run of rails really soon. The frame and rail that HAZE has are from Luke. The only thing you would have left to get is a ule body and xvalve. And front grip if that's something you want to add.
C_losjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 PM #7
woodchop51

thanks, yea i was looking at luke's customs earlier. will definitely try to get in touch with him.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:18 PM #8
going_home
Hebrews 13:8

Annual Supporting Member
going_home owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Way cheaper just to buy a used RT Pro ULE mag outright than to buy parts.

Sell the classic mag (or just keep it for a loaner) and buy a maxed out RT Pro ULE.

Buying parts to upgrade incrementally may seem cheaper but in the long run you will spend more than if you had just bought what you wanted to begin with.

going_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 AM #9
woodchop51

Quote:
Originally Posted by going_home View Post
Way cheaper just to buy a used RT Pro ULE mag outright than to buy parts.

Sell the classic mag (or just keep it for a loaner) and buy a maxed out RT Pro ULE.

Buying parts to upgrade incrementally may seem cheaper but in the long run you will spend more than if you had just bought what you wanted to begin with.
Yea, I think you're right about that. I'm stuck in a 'build something custom for me' mode right now. Will probably go away after a couple months but it's kinda fun to be doing "research" on mags in order to put something together myself. The cheaper line of thinking is currently on it's way out, but we'll see.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 PM #10
Punisher068

You can still buy loaded Tac ones from AGD,they're reasonable priced and have all the goodies you could want plus they're factory tuned,built and new.
They also sell new ULE bodies,believe they will even build you a custom Mag from their available factory parts
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Our teams home field PBN thread
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4292217
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:58 AM #11
cougar20th
Custom Spyder Collector

has been a member for 10 years
I think starting from a gun or from parts all depend on your wallet. If you can handle buying everything to build a gun from that is how I would do it.
cougar20th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:10 AM #12
woodchop51

Think i'm going to build one from scratch and stretch this project out for a while. easier on the wallet. I'll probably end up with a few extra parts that I'll add onto the mag I already have and depending on how addicted I get will hopefully end up with at least one sick gun. Thanks everyone for your input!