Community Focus

Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM #1
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
Terra Grappler Tire Review

I know we don't have a ton of review threads and I also know that not a ton of the users on here have trucks, let a lone ones that need E Rated tires, but I feel these would be a good tire for a SUV or 1/2 ton truck.

I received these tires a few months ago after I ran through my BFG All Terrains in less than 18,000 miles, everything in this review will be compared to how they worked and how the stock Michelins have performed so you will see a totally street tire vs. an all-terrain tire like these are.

The Need: I want/need a good all terrain tire for working on a farm and at a fire department. We have an apple orchard with a few different types of apples and of course that would lead to dirt roads, fields, goosenecks and max weights. When I had my stock tires I went to pull the trailer out of its fall parking spot to move it to the barn to load and got stuck in the dirt drive after a unseasonably warm winter that created a slightly spongy ground and couldnít even hook up got stuck before I got there. I switched to BFG ATís because they look good and have high ratings. Not sure if I got a bad set but they didnít hold up. As for the fire department part, Iím not a volunteer or paid on call, I work for a city and have to drive from the farm to the department and itís 45-50 min away all highway, but they are on the lake shore and get a ton of Lake Michigan lake effect snow storms, and I still need to get there to replace the other guys.

Tire Specs: 275/70R18, Load range E, 2 Ply side wall, max PSI 80, my normal PSI is 65, Tread Depth 16/32.

On the short:

Proís: Good on road, awesome wet performance, sound level is normal.

Conís: Tread/sidewall Flex, 2 ply sidewalls, load up quick is moderate mud in a corn field.

Recommendations: I have around 1000 miles on them now and I can say Iíll use them to the end but will likely go to another tire. The sidewall ply rating is what I feel the cause of the problems Iím having. Maybe for my wifeís SUV theyíll be ok but at Load D,E, or F(they don't offer in F)you should bump them up to 3ply. If you go on and off road you may want to look at a different tire, if youíre on road and sometimes go off road then this will work well.

Towing/Weight: I havenít been hooked up to more than 3k yet. In a few weeks Iíll be picking up some lumber for the barn and Iíll edit it for that when I get to it. I also will be towing an enclosed trailer around for various reasons coming up including moving in to a new home so with a trailer and maneuvering in tight spaces.

On the Long:

First Impression: look like more of a street tire than a true all terrain, good veins, tons of sipes for snow, ok side tread, good deep tread to start with. It looked like a good tire for what I needed.
First time driving on: it was raining so drove a little slower, more careful. I noticed that they felt good under the truck and seemed to handle well. It wasnít a long drive so I was pretty happy. I usually drive a little more on the aggressive side. Not crazy not darting through traffic, but I take corners a little faster as in I donít come to an almost complete stop before I turn, I donít spin or chirp or smoke my tires.

Subsequent driving: felt like the truck was sliding out from under me. Went from cursing with 1 hand on the wheel to white knuckle for a while. Contacted Nitto(toyo) about it and they suggested to let them settle and see. I have a leveling kit on and was suggested by our Mechanic at work to try and lower my front end down a little and see if it helps, or play with the PSI a little. So I dropped it and upped the PSI to 75 and down to 60 for a while at both and no dice still was wondering and gets yanked around for little defects in the road. At 55 or 80 on the highway. I was planning on pulling them off and returning them at the 200 mile mark it was not getting better.

We had a little problem at the farm when harvesting the sweet corn and the tractor got stuck. Instead of driving back to the barn grabbing the other truck I just put my recovery strap on and started yanking. It was close to the road so I was able to get maximum traction. Well they broke free a few times and eventually the tractor popped out of the muck hole.

At the 300 mile mark itís gotten much better. It still was getting pulled around some, but the wondering has subsided for the most part. So I just passed it off as likely tread flex and not sidewall flex. When I had the BFGís theyíre 3 ply sidewall and never had a tread/sidewall flex, but when I had the stock tires for a few weeks I had some wondering and felt almost the same popped my head in the barn and noticed they are 2ply sidewalls also and deducted it was the problem. But it doesnít seem to be but could be as it still gets pulled but weíll see I donít have a ton of miles on them.

Now that the corn is all gone and there was really no fruit crop here in Michigan to speak of itís just normal running around in town and on the highway. I have noticed that the wet performance is quite remarkable; I can really drive it like normal and not have the tires break loose. But I did noticed that if I take a left turn and get on the gas a little in the middle of the turn on dry pavement they can chirp or even break loose, but same driving on wet they donít skip a beat, itís a little weird.

On Road:

very good tire after the flex issue subsided, road noise isnít too bad a little more than the stockers but about the same as the BFG ATís.
Wet: is awesome I donít think Iíve had a better ones yet
Dry: is on par with most tires.
Cold road: traction is still good, no snow yet to report on.
Warm roads: normal performance for a AT tire as it feels.
Off Road:
Dirt: normal feel for an AT tire, didnít load to bad, flung small rocks so they cleared out well on the dirt.
Grass: grabs the grass and pulls it going slow with some weight so it holds up well. Empties the tread well, not a lot of clumps just about gravel size.
Field Mud: load up quick, doesnít like to empty at lower speeds, sidewall tread does no good, sipes fill up, muck sticks to the treads after they fill up and gets shaved off and makes things worse. But once you get free it empties out fast. Snow acts a lot like mud so I feel they will empty quick.
Photos:

I don't have a whole lot of photos right now but I will get them ASAP clean and dirty will be easy. Loaded I'll get when I go to the farm next

Clean:
Dirty:
Loaded:
Weight on them:

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM #2
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

I'm guessing this would probably get seen/appreciated more in the truck thread.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM #3
justavillain
I've got nothing

yeah but it's also a really really long post so I made a thread. and I plan on referring to it at least in the diesel thread.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 PM #4
evil dutch

Guess I likely won't go with these then when I get a new set then. Between muddy fields and snowy/icy roads in the winter and quite a few gravel roads for the fire department, there must be something better.

"Originally posted by I'm inebriated: Vinny are you working in bham? You and shawty should totally Eiffel tower his wife if so."
evil dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 PM #5
justavillain
I've got nothing

If i didn't get the deal I did I was/am going back to bfg AT's. Or the wrangler mt2 is a good choice but I like to stay away from straight mud tires.

I had no problems with my bfg ats had them replaced under bfg's warranty and they're stacked up in the barn for when these are toast.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic