Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM #988
DJ Bob (Banned)

Huh? I thought they were related though. Like a 2ms response time is going to change what is on the screen faster than a 5ms, which translates to less input lag.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 PM #989
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bob View Post
Huh? I thought they were related though. Like a 2ms response time is going to change what is on the screen faster than a 5ms, which translates to less input lag.
I don't think the speed at which the pixels switch is ever really slow enough to translate into a perceivable input lag time. You get input lag in TVs because a lot of the newer ones have lots processing going on in order to make the signal look better. That's why many have a game mode that turns most of that off. A PC monitor won't do that beyond what it needs to display the picture basically taking the raw signal from the GPU and making it into something you can see. The main thing you'll notice from a higher response time is the ghosting or blurring.

I may be off in some of that, but I recently did a lot of research on input lag while looking for a new TV so I think I got most of it correct, if overly simplified.

Last edited by big_scott : 01-31-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM #990
venice empire77
_________

venice empire77 plays in the PSP
venice empire77 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
I've been wanting to go PLP. But a friend of mine who recently switched said the color difference between the 30" and the P 20's is a big difference. So I may just go with 2 27"s or something.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 PM #991
DJ Bob (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_scott View Post
I don't think the speed at which the pixels switch is ever really slow enough to translate into a perceivable input lag time. You get input lag in TVs because a lot of the newer ones have lots processing going on in order to make the signal look better. That's why many have a game mode that turns most of that off. A PC monitor won't do that beyond what it needs to display the picture basically taking the raw signal from the GPU and making it into something you can see. The main thing you'll notice from a higher response time is the ghosting or blurring.

I may be off in some of that, but I recently did a lot of research on input lag while looking for a new TV so I think I got most of it correct, if overly simplified.
Oh ok you're right about ghosting, I forgot about that, but I think the lag would be noticeable. People desire 1000Hz gaming mice which translates to 1ms input lag maximum, while the standard mouse is like 150Hz.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM #992
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

I'm not OCD nor a a professional gamer so it doesn't really matter to me. I just hope it arrives safely with no problems. They just shipped it and its estimated time for delivery is next Tuesday...all the way from South Korea
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM #993
{InsertUsernameHere}
Butt Stuff

{InsertUsernameHere} has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
{InsertUsernameHere} has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
{InsertUsernameHere} has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Which brand is it?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 PM #994
venice empire77
_________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmizzle View Post
I'm not OCD nor a a professional gamer so it doesn't really matter to me. I just hope it arrives safely with no problems. They just shipped it and its estimated time for delivery is next Tuesday...all the way from South Korea
I've heard more good things than horror stories, you should be fine. They honestly look pretty nice imo.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM #995
iPaintYou
..needs a better username

I had decided that I would just wait for Haswell before I upgrade again but then Microcenter decided to sell things ridiculously cheap. I can get a 3570k, ASRock Extreme6, and 16GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 RAM all for $325.44 after tax. I feel like if I wait for Haswell, I'm just going to end up spending way more for a not so great performance increase over these parts. I primarily use my computer for internet/gaming but also work in programs like Photoshop, VMware, SSMS, NetBeans, etc.

By upgrading now I would see better speeds out of my SSD (I don't have SATA III), more frames out of my 580 (which I plan on sticking with for awhile), and my USB 3.0 external hard drive would perform better.

Do you guys think I should jump on this or still wait?
TOXIC RAGE #17
G6R. SL-68 II.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM #996
venice empire77
_________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atm743 View Post
this works wonders but its hard to explain on how to do it so watch this youtube video

NOTE: this is not me. its some random kid but he did a good tut so im posting it
Finally got around to doing this. It worked.
However from their website the Bootable USB files didnt work, I just did the CD Files and made it from the ISO. And since it's a newer build than in the video, the run down was a bit different. But just reading what it asked me worked out fine.

Thanks for the help with this guys
Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM #997
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by {InsertUsernameHere} View Post
Which brand is it?
Crossover
Quote:
Originally Posted by venice empire77 View Post
I've heard more good things than horror stories, you should be fine. They honestly look pretty nice imo.
Yeah I did a little bit of research before I decided to pull the trigger. The buyer that I purchased mine from was one of the highest rated sellers that people talked about on other forums and youtube videos.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 PM #998
venice empire77
_________

Let me know how it is for sure. Because I think I'm going to steer away from plp
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM #999
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

I literally just bought another Asus monitor last week and then I found about the 1440p..
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM #1000
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

About those monitors.

The panels themselves are made by LG, the Korean companies really only make the chassis that the panels are installed in.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 PM #1001
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
About those monitors.

The panels themselves are made by LG, the Korean companies really only make the chassis that the panels are installed in.
Yeah. The panels didn't meet the requirements for dell/whoever. I've been reading a lot of stuff today and it seems like the odds are in my favor
Old 02-01-2013, 05:35 PM #1002
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bob View Post
Oh ok you're right about ghosting, I forgot about that, but I think the lag would be noticeable. People desire 1000Hz gaming mice which translates to 1ms input lag maximum, while the standard mouse is like 150Hz.
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/

People desire lots of stupid things without actually knowing what they are talking about. That is why there is a market for "GAMING!" products with bigger numbers, people who buy processors based on clock speed and core count alone, a huge number of audio products, and ultra cyro pure gold HDMI cables.

If your are talking about a half a second, or a third a second, even a tenth of a second, maybe. But 2ms vs 5ms? No way. Even then, the companies that report that number STRETCHHHH the truth as far as they can using different measuring devices, different standards, best case scenarios, etc.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM #1003
venice empire77
_________

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post

People desire lots of stupid things without actually knowing what they are talking about. That is why there is a market for "GAMING!" products with bigger numbers, people who buy processors based on clock speed and core count alone, a huge number of audio products, and ultra cyro pure gold HDMI cables.

If your are talking about a half a second, or a third a second, even a tenth of a second, maybe. But 2ms vs 5ms? No way. Even then, the companies that report that number STRETCHHHH the truth as far as they can using different measuring devices, different standards, best case scenarios, etc.
I got 101st on the leader board though, how bout them numbers!

I had to
Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM #1004
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

i got 108. avg 300ms.

comin for you bro.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 PM #1005
venice empire77
_________

Bring it
Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 PM #1006
DJ Bob (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post

If you think the difference between a standard mouse and 1000Hz mouse is not noticeable you are crazy. A tenth of a second is huge. Ever played a game on host or 10ms ping compared to 100ms ping? Yeah that's a tenth of a second and it's a big ****ing difference.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 PM #1007
Promagistrate
such motto

Promagistrate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Promagistrate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate supports DLX Technology
it's like a difference of 2hz between two bass kicks in your beatz amirite
wat
wat
Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 PM #1008
akward silence