Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 AM #1
Unipron

Barrels and money

While there is a case to be made for one barrel over the other, does the price point of one single piece barrel versus another really make the difference? It seems like the only barrels that have a true advantage are the bore match kits.
Unipron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM #2
Mr. Stealthy

The main price point difference for one-piece vs two piece comes down to modularity with being able to purchase/use additional bore backs. However, there can be an argument made that with a very tight bore fit, a one piece barrel without a stepped borecan induce a little more unwanted drag. This would result at worse in some slight efficiency loss. However, when you factor in that a large number of two piece barrels come with a back that is less than 7 inches (ideal being 7-10 inches), this point becomes irrelevant as the two piece is also not giving you ideal efficiency.

If you are not underboring, a one piece straight bore barrel can actually improve efficiency since you are not really inducing much extra drag and the ball has more time to accelerate.

For an optimum barrel using underboring you will want to find something with 7-10 inches of control bore that then expands to a larger bore. This gives the ball enough length to fully accelerate. Whether or not the barrel is two piece or one piece is irrelevant although generally this design would be more common on a two piece barrel.

A good example of a very well designed one piece barrel with good control bore length is the Lurker Eigenbarrel. If you are not underboring and not needing multiple backs, something like a Custom Products one piece barrel in .685 bore would suit you extremely well.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM #3
cmdrsuds

Disruptive barrels have very long backs 7in and there 1pc barrels have a 7in control bore. $40 for a 1pc is hard to beat they also have small bores like .678 and .682 for underboring and .686 .688 for overboring

Best barrels for the $ in my opinion

-
DENVER KAOS

Last edited by cmdrsuds : 11-15-2012 at 10:00 AM.
cmdrsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:08 AM #4
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

has been a member for 10 years
Never really. The CP, J&J and Lapco barrels have always been some of the best performers that nobody outside us knew about.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 AM #5
NJEmortal
The i3 Guy

Annual Supporting Member
NJEmortal is BST Legit
NJEmortal posts videos on PbNation
Finding the right barrel for your weather conditions, and paint commonly found in your area, takes a good amount of trial and error. With that said, I've had CP barrels out shoot CFboomsticks... it's not the amount you spend on a single barrel, it's finding the right barrel for your gun, weather, and paint conditions.
NJEmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM #6
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Ducky Pump Squad

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEmortal View Post
Finding the right barrel for your weather conditions, and paint commonly found in your area, takes a good amount of trial and error. With that said, I've had CP barrels out shoot CFboomsticks... it's not the amount you spend on a single barrel, it's finding the right barrel for your gun, weather, and paint conditions.
I agree 100%! It depends on the marker and conditions you're playing in.

Im going to quote this for another thread if you don't mind.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:17 PM #7
NJEmortal
The i3 Guy

Annual Supporting Member
NJEmortal is BST Legit
NJEmortal posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
I agree 100%! It depends on the marker and conditions you're playing in.

Im going to quote this for another thread if you don't mind.
By all means, please do.
NJEmortal is offline   Reply With Quote