Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-09-2012, 04:17 PM #1
danssoslow

Deadlywind without jewels?

Has anyone here ever seen a Deadlywind barrel without jewels? Mind you, I'm not talking about a barrel that has lost its jewel; rather a barrel that doesn't have provisions for one at all.

I just purchased a DW Fibur barrel off of ebay that does not have a detent or inset for a jewel. I am afraid it might be a knockoff.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 AM #2
mymutter
I crack myself up!

mymutter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Best thing to do is email deadlywinds themselves and send over a link to the eBay auction.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:41 AM #3
danssoslow

I'm going to do just that. I have the barrel in my possession, so I'll be able to take more pics than the ebay ad provided. I'll report back with my findings.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 PM #4
HarryBalzak

HarryBalzak is a Supporting Member
deadlywind made a barrel originally that took freak inserts that was the predecessor to the Fibur. I owned one. It was exactly the same except the finish inside wasn't polished as well. They looked identical, but it may have had spiral porting. For some reason that is ringing a bell. I don't remember if they called the original "Fibur" also. I know the one they produce now was the new improved though. I don't remember any jewels on mine either. The better finishing on the inner bore was silly IMHO, because after I had a few cases through it, it was smooth as glass. This may be what you have. Does yours have spiral porting?

EDIT:

HA!!!!
I found it. It was originally called the "Whisper"

Here it is:
http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/4162/

Last edited by HarryBalzak : 11-10-2012 at 07:38 PM.
HarryBalzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 PM #5
danssoslow

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBalzak View Post
deadlywind made a barrel originally that took freak inserts that was the predecessor to the Fibur. I owned one. It was exactly the same except the finish inside wasn't polished as well. They looked identical, but it may have had spiral porting. For some reason that is ringing a bell. I don't remember if they called the original "Fibur" also. I know the one they produce now was the new improved though. I don't remember any jewels on mine either. The better finishing on the inner bore was silly IMHO, because after I had a few cases through it, it was smooth as glass. This may be what you have. Does yours have spiral porting?

EDIT:

HA!!!!
I found it. It was originally called the "Whisper"

Here it is:
http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/4162/

Yes, it does have spiral porting. That was another thing I noticed compared to the Fiburs in the add seen all over the net. Yet a simple google picture search showed some with spiral porting, so I brushed it off as a clue.

I'll check out that vid, thanks!
^oops, not a vid^

Last edited by danssoslow : 11-10-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Silliness
Old 11-10-2012, 08:19 PM #6
HarryBalzak

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure there isn't any performance difference between the two. Did the guy list it as a "Fibur"? If he did ask him for $10 back since it isn't a Fibur.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 PM #7
danssoslow

No, actually. That's why I ws thinking it was a hidden gem. It was simply sold as a DW barrel; but used the Fibur's stock description in the ad. I picked it up for a little more than $50, so I'm good.

I thank you so much for your help. Eyeballing the bore with a brass insert installed, it appears as smooth and shiny as the insert, so I trust all is well.

Thanks again!
Daniel
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 PM #8
HarryBalzak

One more improvement I remember they made. This was an actual nuisance. The oring would pull out of the barrel when you tried to change the insert. The improvement on the Fibur was a deeper groove and different o ring, I believe. I remember it was a pain in the *** at first but after 20 or so insert changes it got better and if I pulled it slowly, the o ring didn't come out. But I do remember this was a common complaint among owners.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 PM #9
danssoslow

I was reading some of the reviews; and noticed tonight that there was no oring in my barrel. You've just confirmed that for me. The insert is a little loose when I stick my finger in it. I can feel a little bit of latteral movement.

The oring land isn't noticable to me. Is the oring supposed to be closer to the threads?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 AM #10
HarryBalzak

I'm pretty sure it was towards the end of the barrel. Pretty sure I could put it back in with my finger tip. I know I contacted DW for some of rings and they sent me a handful for free. Give them a call tomorrow. Maybe they still have the right size hanging around. Is there a grove inside the barrel near the threads?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM #11
danssoslow

Here's my delima finding the ring land. Mind you, this was a quick initial look. I could feel two possible positions for an oring, both of which were very shallow. I believe the one felt further into the barrel was actually the point at which the metal threaded piece met with the carbon fiber. The other on was located right around the breech side of the threads; but even that was one seemed really shallow.
Being so close the the end of the barrel, I wonder how effective it would be in keeping the insert centered on the other end of the insert. I'll goof with it more tonight. I am going to see if a single wrap of scotch tape will be enough or too much to take up the slack I am feeling.

Poops. I hope I didn't waste my money here...
Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM #12
HarryBalzak

I'm pretty sure it is the shallow one at the end of the barrel. Now you see the minor design flaw and the need to come out with a "new and improved Fibur". DW was getting flack over it and they jumped on it pretty quickly. I found it a nuance, but wasn't a catastrophe. I just got spare o rings, put a tiny layer of lube on the ring and inserted or pulled out the inserts slowly while twisting a little. Call DW. They might have o rings or at least be able to get you the size.

Last edited by HarryBalzak : 11-13-2012 at 04:13 PM.
HarryBalzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM #13
danssoslow

HarryBalzak, thanks again for the help!

Update. Just got off the phone with DW. Turns out I have a later madel Wisper. The closest grove is just that, a grove. It isn't supposed to be there. Maybe it is something done by a previous owner. The ring land is about an inch-inch and a half in, where the carbon fiber ends. There is an oring still in the land (albeit very worn and flat). It is an 018 oring for future reference.

You've been a great help. I do appreciate it!
Daniel
Old 11-21-2012, 10:18 PM #14
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
I had one of those older dw barrels.. Problem was it started to unravel where the insert met the internal bore of the barrel, causing crazy paint breakage issues.. I emailed dw and they ended up replacing it for free, calling it a "first generation" barrel.. ****ty part is the new barrel has a ****ing gap and inserts literally move around during each shot causing paint breaking issues again!! Time for another email!

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote