Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM #1
savage24x
 
 
savage24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: IUP
savage24x has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Spyder Clone

It's a Viewloader High Voltage. STBB, comes half backed, stock. What's weird is the spring from the back cap to the striker is smaller than a Spyder. I tried putting the low velocity spring from my spring kit in it, since I could only max out at 250 fps with the stock smaller spring. Now here's the problem, the sear won't trip unless there's a minimal amount of pressure on it. I mean, it won't even trip when I'm trying to pull the striker out since I apply pressure to it. Is this due to low battery voltage? It uses a standard 9v, and the solenoid clicks just fine. Capacitor is NOT puffed.
__________________
Dye NT11, Ninja 68/4500, Dye i4 Tactical w/ Northern Lights lens, Edmonton Impact Spire

IUP Crimson Hawks
savage24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM #2
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet
 
2nwyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I have the exact same problem, and on teching their circuit I think their resistor in the RC firing cicuit is of too big a value. It'll fire fine if you pull slowly, I can't get the full-auto to work but if you're shooting 5-6 bps it'll work just fine. Not sure what to tell ya, maybe try a 9.6v? I have the same gun with the same problem. Swapped the cap out and that fixed it for a couple days, but it's doing the same thing again...
Noah
__________________
Learn more about paintball! Articles Videos!!

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 PM #3
ItalianCustom
:dodgy:
 
ItalianCustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: East Liverpool
ItalianCustom donated to help Peyton Trent
ItalianCustom supports Team VICIOUS
ItalianCustom is for the Gunfight
ItalianCustom has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i dont know about anybody else, but I have never seen a spyder work on anything but a 9.6 effectively
ItalianCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM #4
savage24x
 
 
savage24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: IUP
savage24x has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
I have the exact same problem, and on teching their circuit I think their resistor in the RC firing cicuit is of too big a value. It'll fire fine if you pull slowly, I can't get the full-auto to work but if you're shooting 5-6 bps it'll work just fine. Not sure what to tell ya, maybe try a 9.6v? I have the same gun with the same problem. Swapped the cap out and that fixed it for a couple days, but it's doing the same thing again...
Noah
Did you do anything about the resistor? Should I replacing the cap?
__________________
Dye NT11, Ninja 68/4500, Dye i4 Tactical w/ Northern Lights lens, Edmonton Impact Spire

IUP Crimson Hawks
savage24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 PM #5
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet
 
2nwyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I have not yet, haven't gotten around to it...but that cap replacement did help quite a bit. My girlfriend's dad is an electrical engineer so we went through the whole circuit and figured out it's charging too slow due to an over-resistance, which leads to a current drop within the solenoid, which means that it doesn't have enough induced magnetic force to overcome the sear spring and friction.
Overly complex language that means that the resistor is screwing up the works...
I'd polish the hell out of the solenoid plunger and the sear...fixed my problem enough to where I can use the gun.
Did it work before?
I think their over-resistance was an attempt at a built-in bps cap, but as the circuit ages it eventually becomes unfireable.
Noah
__________________
Learn more about paintball! Articles Videos!!

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:03 AM #6
savage24x
 
 
savage24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: IUP
savage24x has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
I have not yet, haven't gotten around to it...but that cap replacement did help quite a bit. My girlfriend's dad is an electrical engineer so we went through the whole circuit and figured out it's charging too slow due to an over-resistance, which leads to a current drop within the solenoid, which means that it doesn't have enough induced magnetic force to overcome the sear spring and friction.
Overly complex language that means that the resistor is screwing up the works...
I'd polish the hell out of the solenoid plunger and the sear...fixed my problem enough to where I can use the gun.
Did it work before?
I think their over-resistance was an attempt at a built-in bps cap, but as the circuit ages it eventually becomes unfireable.
Noah
I knew it had something to do with that board. Don't worry, I understood all of that.

Do you happen to know the specs for the capacitor? I'm not home currently. What's the ohm rating on that resistor? What did you polish the sear and solenoid plunger with? Is the plunger the small disk that doesn't wiggle?

Stupid electronics
__________________
Dye NT11, Ninja 68/4500, Dye i4 Tactical w/ Northern Lights lens, Edmonton Impact Spire

IUP Crimson Hawks
savage24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:14 PM #7
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet
 
2nwyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Okay, here's the low-down:
The capacitor is a 6800uF 16v, and the resistor is looking a lot like 600 ohms, but that's pretty low...it's not one of the standard, banded type, it's actually got its resistance printed on the side of it.
I polished the sear and solenoid with 3000 grit sandpaper and a lathe. The plunger is what moves back and forth inside the solenoid and makes the sear drop, it's a thin little disk that moves back and forth.

Hope that helped...I may drop the resistor, but I'm worried about the downstream voltage if I go too low on the resistance.
Noah
__________________
Learn more about paintball! Articles Videos!!

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:55 PM #8
savage24x
 
 
savage24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: IUP
savage24x has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
Okay, here's the low-down:
The capacitor is a 6800uF 16v, and the resistor is looking a lot like 600 ohms, but that's pretty low...it's not one of the standard, banded type, it's actually got its resistance printed on the side of it.
I polished the sear and solenoid with 3000 grit sandpaper and a lathe. The plunger is what moves back and forth inside the solenoid and makes the sear drop, it's a thin little disk that moves back and forth.

Hope that helped...I may drop the resistor, but I'm worried about the downstream voltage if I go too low on the resistance.
Noah
Ill order a new capacitor. Thanks VL for not using a standard resistor!

Thanks for the help. Keep me updated on the resistor progress.
__________________
Dye NT11, Ninja 68/4500, Dye i4 Tactical w/ Northern Lights lens, Edmonton Impact Spire

IUP Crimson Hawks
savage24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 PM #9
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet
 
2nwyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage24x View Post
Ill order a new capacitor. Thanks VL for not using a standard resistor!

Thanks for the help. Keep me updated on the resistor progress.
Okay, will do. I'm going to drop in a 100 ohm just be shorting across the terminals (electricity takes the path of least resistance!) and see how that works out.
Viewloader, Y U NO use standard resistor?!
Noah
__________________
Learn more about paintball! Articles Videos!!

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 AM #10
savage24x
 
 
savage24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: IUP
savage24x has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post

Okay, will do. I'm going to drop in a 100 ohm just be shorting across the terminals (electricity takes the path of least resistance!) and see how that works out.
Viewloader, Y U NO use standard resistor?!
Noah
Get it working yet? If you show me where to solder, I could get a 100 ohm and solder it where it needs to be to test it out, I don't really care about the marker anymore, nothing left to try.
__________________
Dye NT11, Ninja 68/4500, Dye i4 Tactical w/ Northern Lights lens, Edmonton Impact Spire

IUP Crimson Hawks
savage24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:59 AM #11
theblindchicken
49'er
 
theblindchicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
I assume that the 100 ohm resistor is being soldered in parallel with the stock 600 ohm resistor. This would make the resistance less than either of the two resistors (comes out to be an equivalent resistance of approximately 85 ohms using the basic equation 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 to solve for the equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit).

If I understand what he was trying to accomplish, the purpose of the additional resistor was to lower the total resistance (over time it appears that the resistance became too large for the circuit and rendered it inoperable) in the circuit to allow a higher voltage to charge the capacitor and operate the solenoid. Thus allowing it to function again.
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM #12
savage24x
 
 
savage24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: IUP
savage24x has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblindchicken View Post
I assume that the 100 ohm resistor is being soldered in parallel with the stock 600 ohm resistor. This would make the resistance less than either of the two resistors (comes out to be an equivalent resistance of approximately 85 ohms using the basic equation 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 to solve for the equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit).

If I understand what he was trying to accomplish, the purpose of the additional resistor was to lower the total resistance (over time it appears that the resistance became too large for the circuit and rendered it inoperable) in the circuit to allow a higher voltage to charge the capacitor and operate the solenoid. Thus allowing it to function again.
So all I have to do is solder the resistor over top the current one?
__________________
Dye NT11, Ninja 68/4500, Dye i4 Tactical w/ Northern Lights lens, Edmonton Impact Spire

IUP Crimson Hawks
savage24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 AM #13
theblindchicken
49'er
 
theblindchicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
You would solder the 100 ohm resistor to the same two terminals as the original 600 ohm resistor.
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:56 AM #14
savage24x
 
 
savage24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: IUP
savage24x has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I have those resistors laying around still. Anyone try it yet? Noah?
__________________
Dye NT11, Ninja 68/4500, Dye i4 Tactical w/ Northern Lights lens, Edmonton Impact Spire

IUP Crimson Hawks
savage24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump