I've had a couple of PM's asking how I turned my G-1 into a pistol so I thought I 'd just start a thread explaining it.
If you don't know what I'm on about here's the pics:
I originally wanted to move the reg into the torch socket like a few others have done, but then I thought about moving it into the grip frame and relocating the battery to where the reg was - in the end I couldn't find a reg small enough for this so I just stuck a mini ASA/reg on there which worked pretty well and means I dont need to worry about having a separate reg on the gun.
So on with the pictures:
Its pretty self explanatory really, it did take a lot of dremel work to get enough room inside the grip frame body for the tubing to fit.
The parts you'll need are:
1 x Invert mini reg/asa or Empire Axe on/off reg/asa
1 x TM series rail adapter - This part ONLY comes with the empire on/off reg
Tubing - 4mm outer dimension, 2.5 or 3mm Inner dimension - also try and find stuff that will take above 200psi
4mm Push to fit fitting - 7/16-20 UNF (I think)
2x Carbon steel threaded inserts - I used M5 thread
The rail I used to connect the reg/ASA to the G-1 is the one you get with the Empire On/Off Reg but cut down and with two extra holes drilled for the screws, the problem with this is I then had to re-tap the push to fit fittings to the same thread that the rail has (anyone who has seen this rail will know what i mean) and it took ages for me to find out what thread it was:
the left one is original, the right is after I threaded it:
- If I was to do it again I would recommend having a custom rail milled out for it and tapped to a standard thread for the push to fit fitting.
So after a few months of play and using this mod, i figured out that it just wasn't user friendly enough for one big reasons -
The way I had oriented the scews on the mini reg rail meant that the push to fit fitting would have to be the part which kept the mini in place - this wasn't a problem for me as I used a push to fit fitting which had an allen socket inside the fitting which i could use to tighten and untighten the fitting - but eventually this stripped which left the reg stuck to the rail and me screwed. (Another issue was when I set the operating pressure to over 300psi it blew one of the fittings, my G-1 operates at under 200psi, you should try and get yours to also run at that level if you wish to use this mod)!
The obvious fix for this was to have the bolts mounted the other side of the trigger frame scewing into the reg rail rather then the other way round-
- A problem with this is that I would then be screwing into aluminium which is soft and would eventually also strip (something I don't wan't to risk when my tank is ultimately attached to it)
The way i got around this was by using time serts Carbon Steel Inserts-
- basically making the thread carbon steel - much stronger then aluminum!
I also had to drill a hole into the back of the grip frame for me to get one of the allen keys to one of the bolts-
With these changes the Mods are much stronger, and should stand up to most beatings - the only thing to take into consideration now is the operating pressure and the pressure rating of the new parts - I am yet to have anything other then the faulty fitting blow!