Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 PM #1450
I'm inebriated
Wood Grain Grippin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
Yeah, you guys are right. My resume seems small because I have only had one real job and all the examples have 2 or 3 listed.
Yeah that's one downside, I had two internships on my resume before I even graduated which probably helped.

I'd just do what I said then and start attending meetings for an association and talk to people.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM #1451
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
Yeah, you guys are right. My resume seems small because I have only had one real job and all the examples have 2 or 3 listed.
Don't make that mistake of thinking you need a few more jobs, you just need highlights. Like Leroy said, network and get some responsibilities outside of work. Taking point on fundraisers, charity work, local events, etc. can really set you apart and show that you're a bit more mature than a typical recent grad.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM #1452
cynicalrider
robert paulson

I'm excited to see what's out there in April. Would be sweet if I could get a job at an agency.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"

ST:A - Not your Myspace Blog.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM #1453
I'm inebriated
Wood Grain Grippin

But most importantly, meet people. There's a reason the sayings "it's not what you know it's who you know" exists

My first internship, my first job out of college, and my current job I all got in part because of who I know.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM #1454
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
I'm excited to see what's out there in April. Would be sweet if I could get a job at an agency.
I'm waiting to see what raise I will get at my first eval.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 PM #1455
cynicalrider
robert paulson

Raises blow. Job hopping is the way to go. A quick search of someone with my experience puts me in the 90-120k range. Would be schweet if I could seal one of those.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:19 PM #1456
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
Raises blow. Job hopping is the way to go. A quick search of someone with my experience puts me in the 90-120k range. Would be schweet if I could seal one of those.
What the hell do you do?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 PM #1457
cynicalrider
robert paulson

Web Developer. I make things on websites look good.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 PM #1458
cynicalrider
robert paulson

I'm also 6 years deep in my career.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM #1459
lowbudgethero
Boomer

god dammit, I'm 3 jobs and 3.5 years into my career

I can always thank ST:A for an existential crisis
Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 PM #1460
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
god dammit, I'm 3 jobs and 3.5 years into my career

I can always thank ST:A for an existential crisis
lol, do you make at least $20/hr? That's what a graduate student makes part time in Materials Science.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM #1461
I'm inebriated
Wood Grain Grippin

I'm with my second company, and 1 year 10 months into my career. My move was from a field consultant to an office job though.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 PM #1462
cynicalrider
robert paulson

I had the biggest jump in salary just from my past 2 jobs. I started at like $30k, and was only making like $35k at the end of 4 years.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM #1463
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
im 2.5 years in my career and still poor

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM #1464
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
lol, do you make at least $20/hr? That's what a graduate student makes part time in Materials Science.
Almost, I make 19.5x/hr Started at 32K with Drexel and now at 36K with Princeton.

I call BS though if this is a university sponsored stipend
Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM #1465
cynicalrider
robert paulson

Yeah I never stopped being poor. But at least now I'm moved in with the g/f and we have a nicely furnished apartment. Wish I had my college loans paid off.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM #1466
F1VENOM

Quote:
Almost, I make 19.5x/hr Started at 32K with Drexel and now at 36K with Princeton.

I call BS though if this is a university sponsored stipend
Tuition waiver. You're paid by who you work for.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:33 PM #1467
FrolessWonder
RISE OR DIE TRYING

FrolessWonder has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm ~5 years into my career continually, but I worked my first IT contract when I was 16.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 PM #1468
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Tuition waiver. You're paid by who you work for.
Gotcha, 30-32K is the norm here, but it's definitely not hourly.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 PM #1469
F1VENOM

Quote:
Gotcha, 30-32K is the norm here, but it's definitely not hourly.
Sounds like it's the same and time to go back.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM #1470
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Sounds like it's the same and time to go back.
Application sent already lol. Luckily my job is flexible enough to work and get my degree. Plus, my job pays for it and credits transfer directly into PhD program. Problem is I'm still going to have to spend most of my money just to live in this state.
Closed Thread