Annual Supporting Member
GhostJedai is BST Trusted
GhostJedai has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai is attending Decay of Nations VII
GhostJedai supports Empire
Just took my gf and her friend paintballing yesterday; here are some thoughts

So, I haven't played recball in years (just did a scenario last month, after a 5 year hiatus), but my gf's best friend is going through quite a bit of personal turmoil, and wanted to get some agression out. After a quick scan of what local fields were still in operation, I went back to my old standard and we went out for a few hours.

My gf's brother donated his Spyder and we grabbed a rental when we got there. With her friend using the Spyder, my gf using the rental, the ref had us play 2v1 with the girls vs. me. Fun stuff, shot my gf, shot her friend, then discovered my marker was acting up. No big deal, but my gf decided this sport wasn't for her. She's not an aggressive person by any stretch of the word.

This brings me to my first suggestion: If someone you know just doesn't enjoy the sport, don't pressure them to continue playing. It's definitely not a good idea to try to shame them into participating, and you can always invite them at a later date.

The friend and I continued to play four or five more games, and we both had quite a bit of fun. Since she had considerable experience with actual firearms, I did have to explain that paintballs are very, VERY different. We played a couple games of capture the flag, and in the first game, she stayed back, but wasn't eliminated; in the second game, she started pushing up and became more aggressive.

Second point: Let a new player discover what playing style suits them best; you can always offer pointers and tips, but to tell someone to be "Rambo" when they're timid, or telling an aggressive new player to "lighten up," is kinda pointless. The more they play, the more they're likely to understand their own preference to play style.

On the drive home, I told the friend that they also make nice little markers in her favorite color (purple), if she wanted to continue. She replied that while she enjoyed the day, and that she wouldn't hesistate to play again if someone had offered, she didn't feel like investing money into someone she didn't feel she would take up as a serious hobby. This is when I mentioned that I'm working on another marker (just building up a nice little backup Ion) that she could use, if we were to ever play, again; or she could just borrow it whenever.

Last point: If someone mentions that they like the sport, do everything in your power to make it easily accessible in the future. If you have backup gear, offer to let them borrow it in order to save money. This will enable them to play more, since they can just borrow your gear instead of having to rent or buy their own.

I'm actually planning on buying some G3s or G4s, possibly a Mini, in pink and purple in order to let them use them, if my GF ever wants to try, again, as well as her friend. (Also, it would be fun to rock a pink marker and get the double takes)

Side note: there was a 10 or 11 year old kid there playing with a pump. He was pretty decent, but definitely one of his first experiences with paintball. He'd shout "Cover me! Cover me!" even though he was barely tall enough to see over some of the bunkers. Before one game, he came up to me (being that I had semi-decent gear and a milsim marker, even though there were two tournament level players on our team) and asked, "What's the plan of attack." Okay, this was flipping adorable, but I just said, "You go that way, I'll go this way, and don't get shot."

Later, before the last round of play for the day, he sat down next to me and pointed at my TM-15 and asked, "So, how far does that shoot?"

Teachable moment here: Don't ridicule other people, especially new ones, for not knowing the fundamentals of paintball. I took the brief moment to let him know that his pump shoot just as far as mine, but there were specific differences that made them distinct markers, and that the player, himself, counted for more than the marker.
Christ Krew #17

GhostJedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM #2
chrom3penguin (Banned)

chrom3penguin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
chrom3penguin supports Team VICIOUS
chrom3penguin supports Pev's Paintball
ill show said friend how to play
chrom3penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 PM #3
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrom3penguin View Post
ill show said friend how to play
I'm just going to politely decline this offer, thanks.
Christ Krew #17

Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM #4
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Sucks that your girlfriend doesn't like paintball...I was fortunate that God made me one that does!
I think you're spot on! I take a new player every time I play, without exception. It doesn't really help anyone to tell them to change playing style...unless, of course, they're staying behind the same bunker the entire game, shooting through a couple hoppers at something they can't hit. Good work, you've gotten another person into the sport!
Aren't those 10-year-olds just the best thing ever?! I have little kids in awe over my comparatively mid-end markers and they're constantly asking questions like "what's the FPS on that?" or your question, "how far does that shoot?"
Rock on, my friend!
Noah

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 PM #5
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
You are the people that make paintball a good game.

We need more players like this. The people who take the time to be a good person. Personally as a ref/manager when I'm on the field playing or reffing I give pointers, but it is their game and more people need to grasp that. People force the young guns or the newbies(in a respectful sense) to do "Rambo"* type things. When I started playing I sat in the back all day. Then moved up and discovered the player I am.

I wish their was more people who were older in the sport. I wish their was more people who were happy with how they played and started to care about others. Sadly in this recession those who are a bit older do not always have the money to be active in the sport. But these are great points all the way around.

Pushing people into the sport will never work, you just have to let them find their sport.

~T
Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 PM #6
HeatedNubbycake
^^^Gamertag^^^

HeatedNubbycake plays in the PSP
HeatedNubbycake supports Team VICIOUS
HeatedNubbycake supports Pev's Paintball
i agree with the other 2 posters. awesome that there are plenty of players out there that are willing to advance the sport, not condone it by being *******s. personally, one of my favorite things to do is teach new players and play with little kids lol, but its important to understand that someone whos never played before probably isnt too excited about getting shot with a paintball. though i do usually push for people to stick with it, i would never treat someone bad if they dont like it, maybe its not for them, and the most pressure i usually give is "your first few times out might be a little rough, but youll come here after a few weeks and youll be another one of the guys". which brings me to the young guns, i do get irratated with the little kids with the ego 11's that think there all that, but then i sit back and think, there just being kids, let them be kids.

Good to know that there will be a thread full of players posting who like to go hard or go home, but also have the self control, and love to bring out new players and have some good ole' fashion wreck ball with the newbies. Good thread

The only urine sample your getting from me is a taste test.
HeatedNubbycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 AM #7
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Sounds like you're trying to show the friend more than a game......

But on a serious note, you seem like a good dude. Everything posted can be taken into consideration to make someone a better player or have a enjoyable time.

1/1 Factory Acid wash green splashed luxe... Cheap.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4281337

Last edited by rexisme : 11-06-2012 at 03:49 AM.
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:09 AM #8
brienpeppers

brienpeppers owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
This thread makes me so happy. You guys are what makes me love paintball and proud to be a part of such an amazing sport

"In Soviet Russia bunker hides behind you."
brienpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 PM #9
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
Sucks that your girlfriend doesn't like paintball...I was fortunate that God made me one that does!
I think you're spot on! I take a new player every time I play, without exception. It doesn't really help anyone to tell them to change playing style...unless, of course, they're staying behind the same bunker the entire game, shooting through a couple hoppers at something they can't hit. Good work, you've gotten another person into the sport!
Aren't those 10-year-olds just the best thing ever?! I have little kids in awe over my comparatively mid-end markers and they're constantly asking questions like "what's the FPS on that?" or your question, "how far does that shoot?"
Rock on, my friend!
Noah
Haha, I really don't care if she's into it, or not. She's not an aggressive person by nature, so it stands to reason that going around and shooting people might not fall under her umbrella of "fun things to do on the weekend."

On the other hand, she was getting a little frustrated since the rental marker wasn't working, so I'm thinking the next time I go out, I'll give her another shot and see if she likes it.

As far as her friend, yeah, she's definitely into it, but I think a lot of that is relating to what she's currently going through in her personal life, and just needs an outlet for aggression... besides taking Krav Maga and going target shooting. It's a great sport and it just feels good to get back in the swing of things... hopefully my TM15 will cooperate and start working normally, otherwise I'll probably swap it out for an X7.
Christ Krew #17

Old 11-07-2012, 03:01 PM #10
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexisme View Post
Sounds like you're trying to show the friend more than a game......

But on a serious note, you seem like a good dude. Everything posted can be taken into consideration to make someone a better player or have a enjoyable time.
Uhhhh, no on that first part, and thanks on the second
Christ Krew #17

Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 PM #11
jeryzkid22
lone ranger

Annual Supporting Member
nothing says threesome like a full day of playing paintball!
jeryzkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 PM #12
byarosh201

You can buy my x7! In b4 no b/s/t

Seriously though you have good points on how to bring new people into the sport. It's all about easing them in you can't rush everyone into this sport. Because plain and simple it's not for everyone.

Now you gotta get the girlfriend to like it that way you and her friend can have a threesome!
byarosh201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 AM #13
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
KYhillbilly has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Its important to make it fun for new players and its everybody's responsibility. A new player is just as likely to not come back because of another player vs the field itself.

A few things I do...

1. Be positive and be polite always
If a guy says "Man your makers must shoot a long ways" don't respond with something that makes him feel stupid say something like "really it doesn't help me shoot longer your rental shoots just as far"

2. Keep it competitive and keep teams even
This is a huge one here. Players with experience and their own gear sometimes want to gang up on new kids with rentals. I have even seen field owners do this. DON'T. One of the main reason new players don't come back is they think they can't compete. Its especially easy to do in speedball. Even if they are not getting alot of eliminations make it so the matches are competitive. And keep teams even. Having 3 good players vs 6 new ones is no fun for the new players.

3. Tone down your maker to make it fair
If the new players have rental tippmans then you should shoot semi also. Everybody likes to impress the new players sometimes but you can do that at the chrono or with some practice shots. I don't have a problem shooting faster but I am not laning and laying down the paint against new players.

Its mainly the responsibility of the field to make sure its fun for everybody but everybody should do their part.
KYhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 AM #14
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryzkid22 View Post
nothing says threesome like a full day of playing paintball!
Quote:
Originally Posted by byarosh201 View Post
Now you gotta get the girlfriend to like it that way you and her friend can have a threesome!
Dennis, the ref at the field, started us out with my gf and her friend vs. me. I beat them twice, though my gf's gun WAS acting up, and I'm fairly certain she would have rather enjoyed to pop me a few times... maybe more. lol
Christ Krew #17

Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 AM #15
Olsenb

Olsenb owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Olsenb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Olsenb has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Olsenb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Great thread!
Olsenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 PM #16
Stealth1k

Stealth1k supports DLX Technology
My girl and i just played our first game on sunday.. We used "50 cal" rentals and that was the only thing that made the day un satisfactory lol. Same night i bought a used Tippmann A5 which i decided i'm gonna paint pink / black stripe for her to use and pick up a modded A5 or X7 for myself. She really enjoyed it - She shot the A5 today in my yard and is definitely as excited as i am to go back and have markers that are 200x more accurate and powerful than the rentals.

Like you said, its about making the sport enjoyable for the player. Our first time was with my family and other friends in a group of 11 so it was really sociable and playing against friends allowed her to be much more comfortable.
Stealth1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:52 PM #17
TreyV
Reality based citizen.

Annual Supporting Member
TreyV is a Supporting Member
TreyV is a founding member
TreyV is playing at Living Legends VII
TreyV is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostJedai View Post
This brings me to my first suggestion: If someone you know just doesn't enjoy the sport, don't pressure them to continue playing. It's definitely not a good idea to try to shame them into participating, and you can always invite them at a later date.
This a million dot. It's totally true. Despite the utter adrenaline rush of shootyball, a surprisingly small percentage of the population will immediately want to come back and do it again. And when people do get into it, it's usually more of a slow slide. Someone takes them, they maybe go once more, eventually they buy a gun months or years later, and then only a year or two later do you have a hard-core baller on your hands. But you can't force it or rush the process.