PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-06-2012, 09:49 AM #1
PMC Unknown
E-14 Zealot

Discovering the SLG

OK, so my son comes home with this Proto SLG and I'm looking at it and wondering if it is worth throwing a few bucks into to get it running. Upon inspection the marker looks intact outside of an aftermarket feedneck, ASA, and a modification to the regulator (where the macro line hooks up); otherwise it seems OK. I threw a hot battery in it and outside of a dusty look it seemed to work fine.

So basically what I'm doing is consulting the masses (i.e. YOU) to give me your honest opinion of if I can do something here. I mean, are replacement parts available? I notice Proto doesn't even have a website, but wasn't Proto like Dye's economy division? Give me some insight man, lay it all on me. What kind of marker/SLG generation is this?

Thanks for the help.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM #2
bubblebob88again

bubblebob88again has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Also appears to have an ultralight trigger which is definitely worth having over the original. Also looks like my 08 slg since it doesn't have the accented body or ultralight frame.

I would recommend checking out the detents and go for some spring or magnetic detents if those haven't been upgraded yet.

The Asa is definitely something I want to upgrade myself if the funds and time allow more paint balling. I got my slg back in 07 for Christmas and I haven't had any issues outside of the original bolt (black plastic tip and was replaced with an all aluminum tip) and the pencil eraser stock detents.

That slg is pretty well setup already, only other thing you can really do would be upgrade the board if it's not enough for you (mine still has original electronics besides featherlight switch).

05 Smart Parts Impulse: NDZ Trigger, Blackheart board, Tapeworm, Evil Punch Kit. Plans for a low profile feedneck, Evil internals and respirator.
bubblebob88again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 PM #3
bubblebob88again

As for gettin parts, I believe Dye can still help out the SLG guys but I haven't needed anything as of yet but someone else will need to chime in on that.

05 Smart Parts Impulse: NDZ Trigger, Blackheart board, Tapeworm, Evil Punch Kit. Plans for a low profile feedneck, Evil internals and respirator.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:29 PM #4
PMC Unknown
E-14 Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebob88again View Post
As for gettin parts, I believe Dye can still help out the SLG guys but I haven't needed anything as of yet but someone else will need to chime in on that.
The input is much appreciated. So you still shoot this thing?

The marker in question I would be building so that it could be used as a backup between me and my son for woodsball; so as far as it competing on a speedball court - NOPE. Therefore, the stock board will probably be good. The sear seems a bit out of shape though.

What are common issues with this marker?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM #5
bubblebob88again

The biggest fault was the bolt. Early ones (like mine) came with a front black plastic half that reportly broke. Then I believe some has a two piece aluminum bolt where the bolts dimensions were off and the ball rolled too far bak to be detected by the eyes. I think the black plastic tipped bolts did this too. I sent mine in and had a revised bolt installed.

I remember some saying the trigger frame looked a bit warped possibly lead to my next fault.

As for other issues that might affect you, the stock grips commonly had a gap that might let in dirt easier. I play woods ball mainly right now too and have gotten a couple small pieces of debri inside the trigger frame but nothing serious. Also being red might be a bit more noticeable.

I love the gun, it's been a great one. I've always wanted a higher end gun but this one shoots plenty for me to get the job done. It definitely gets compliments at the field.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:34 PM #6
Tikiman12

check the Bolt, the Sear, and the Back cap for damage.
Also check the Sear spring, make sure its not too weak.

Check the link in my sig for role back issue on the bolt.

shoot ropes lol
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=381989
Ebay feedback:
http://myworld.ebay.com/tikiman121086/
Tikiman12 is offline   Reply With Quote