ReplyRegional Ups

Old 11-09-2014, 10:20 AM #1
idontknow2007
Head Shot...

idontknow2007 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
idontknow2007 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Question...

What is your reason for not playing NSL?
Please choose from the following:

1) Donít like the lowest cost of any paintball format.
2) Donít like the fact that it only takes 2 hours from start to finish
3) Donít like only having to buy 1 case of paint
4) Donít like having the chance to play for free all year
5) Donít like that there is no travel involved

Thatís right, the National Speedball League is more cost effective, takes less time out of your day and gives a player a chance at playing for free all year.
Want to know moreÖ?

Vortex Bunkers, saving field owners money each week
idontknow2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2014, 01:05 PM #2
dreadylocks

You use way less paint in magfed. I only carry 20-30 rounds in my gun at a time. So you have to pick your shots. Why would you want to do that? Excellent question. You have to execute a completely different strategy when you have to search for your kill and plan your shots.
Benefits: magfed, we got bombs, grenades, grenade and rocket launchers, first strikerounds, f-ing tanks, etc.
It's not a question of which florescent bunker are they hiding behind.
dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:06 PM #3
dreadylocks

I have wanted to give it a try one day though. But my play style fits into magfed.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:49 PM #4
idontknow2007
Head Shot...

Everyone has thier own style that they love to play. And yes, tourny ball can not compete with mag fed play.

Last weekend at Go Bog, we had a mag fed player doing the demo with us...he got his shots in on a few players and had fun doing so.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:54 PM #5
KGBbonecrusher

has been a member for 10 years
I assume this is meant to be a bizarre rhetorical post and not actually a question of "why don't you play NSL?"
KGBbonecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:26 PM #6
idontknow2007
Head Shot...

yes and no. simply to highlight some advantages of playing NSL compared to other formats.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:49 PM #7
KGBbonecrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow2007 View Post
What is your reason for not playing NSL?
Please choose from the following:

1) Don’t like the lowest cost of any paintball format.
2) Don’t like the fact that it only takes 2 hours from start to finish
3) Don’t like only having to buy 1 case of paint
4) Don’t like having the chance to play for free all year
5) Don’t like that there is no travel involved
I'll bite then:
1) this is a bait and switch, because technically it isn't. The player is paying about 140 in fees, then one case per match. For the guys in Idaho that's a minimum of 5 cases (emphasis on the minimum part). That's really about 390 per player for one "payoff" (the finals). Compare that to a number of three man's I've been in (yours at red dot included.) Including gas I'm paying about 200-300 per event and I'm typically winning some of that back. Further, and here's the important part, it doesn't feel cheap for the players because each match doesn't matter in the traditional terms. You don't get anything for winning a match.
2) PER MATCH, sure.
3) you are only REQUIRED to buy one case of paint. Good luck playing 20 points with a case per person.
4) I guess, in the same sense that I can play world cup for free as long as I take first in previous events or that I'm getting a tire for free (provided I buy the first three).
5) you got me on this one.

but to really answer the question: I don't play it because the league was horrendously bare bones here. You can't run an event with two refs, and I don't WANT to be in an elaborate race-to event where I don't have subs.

edit: The format is actually a ton of fun and I WOULD play it if I knew it was going to be well executed. I just really dislike the NSL advertising tactics.

Last edited by KGBbonecrusher : 11-09-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:08 PM #8
idontknow2007
Head Shot...

You need to remember that NSL is brand new, everything requires growth. If you look back, the very first WCPS didnt have enough teams at several of the first events which the refs ended up playing as a team in order to make the event run.

People/players and even fields have to look at the bigger picture, look at the long term and what NSL has to offer players and field owners.

You attended a 3 man at RDP, the only one we offered (which we lost money at)...hence the reason we havent done another one. From a field owners perspective, NSl is a better option for giving players a competitive game and still pay the bills. Being "host" to other leagues/formats does not bring a positive cash flow to the field when the day is over.

In regards to the first point, money/cost...WCPS and even Ninjaball not counting travel and hotel is still over $400 more expensive than NSL...both of which you do not recover any of your expenses even if you come in first place. Its a loosing proposition for the players. Granted, they have been around longer and draw in teams and players of varying skill levels, so if you dont mind spending the cash to play, then that is an option. Me personally, been playing for over 15 years, traveled all over the country, spent WAY more money than I care to think about...but now I can stay at home, spend less, play more per game game day and still be competitive.

As far as being bare bones - get more players involved. I know Idaho has a player base, the issue is they are so used to doing things one way and spending the cash, they dont see the positives. We went thru the same growing pains here, it takes effort and time. I spent countless hours on the phone, in person, via online talking with players and making the comparisons. Some people will never be able to see the bigger picture, some will...and you cant please everyone. Granted I have a different viewpoint given my paintball history and my involvement with RDP.

I do hope that Idaho will be involved next season as well and for any NSL player or team that wants insight or help becoming better within the NSL, I am always willing to help in any way I can.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:39 PM #9
dreadylocks

Shootin paint is always a good day regardless.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:54 PM #10
dreadylocks

You ran into a mag player in idaho?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:40 PM #11
idontknow2007
Head Shot...

Not in idaho, we were at Go Big in Bellingham, Wa.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:39 PM #12
chris the impailer

chris the impailer plays in the PSP
chris the impailer plays in the APPA D4 division
or the fact that just the rulebook alone is a joke? set rosters for the year doesnt allow for life to happen, and since when have paintball players been the most committed people? the written test doesnt make a skilled player or show promise in a player and from the sound of it your combine is going to be pretty easy to sandbag and make it look like you're not very good. the drug test just to play is the biggest joke of all. whose gonna pay for that and what are "banned substances"? i know it says illegal drugs, but what about players in oregon and washington is weed legal for them but not for idaho players, or alcohol for players under 21? even on the pro level of the psp there is no drug testing and your league will never hit that high. drug testing for a hobby is ridiculous. there are a **** ton of jobs out there that dont even make you take a drug test to get them so again why do it for a hobby. what about the only people who can own the team are the field owners? are they going to have to own multiple teams if there is more players than one roster will allow? or are those other guys just **** out of luck? personally i would rather be on a team with my friends and not have an owner who doesnt play with the team or has multiple teams to worry about. also why have the owners chose the bunker type? why not make it a standard across the board? how can someone practice forming to a bunker that they have never even seen? a standard set would give everyone a level playing field and reduce home field advantage.

those are a few issues i have with your leagues rules and i agree with john on everything he posted about the fees, but above all after reading your first post i chose to not play because your post makes you look like an *** soooo ill pass on the nsl.
Brandon Sargent fan #1

P.S. Jeff is awesome!
chris the impailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:01 PM #13
KGBbonecrusher

Wait there's a drug test? I haven't even studied!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:21 PM #14
KGBbonecrusher

On further research it looks like it's only mandatory for the "pro" level, so that's good.

On the coach owning the team thing: I think that's some weird rule that has different intentions than how the rule sounds. But whatever.

I actually never thought about sandbagging the combine, which is kind of hilarious. Granted there's really no "perk" or even.. outcome of sandbagging here since everyone knows everyone. And yes, it sucks that you can't just go play with your friends. There's a fair chance you could be "drafted" on the same team, but you can't just go make your own. I get WHY it's that way, but there's not enough presence yet for it to make sense.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:01 PM #15
chris the impailer

chris the impailer plays in the PSP
chris the impailer plays in the APPA D4 division
Well what defines a pro player?? I highly doubt dynasty is playing this league
Brandon Sargent fan #1

P.S. Jeff is awesome!
chris the impailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:39 PM #16
KGBbonecrusher

"Semi-Professional and Professional teams must have an IRS recognized business entity and or be a wholly owned subsidiary of an organization with said recognition."

"Thus, a player who receives fees for playing the game, or any other payment (sponsorship) is prohibited, by the NSL, and is not eligible to take part in Amateur level play; unless the remuneration (sum of all sponsorships, discounts, and or prize money awarded in one season) is not more than 10% of actual expenses for the same season."

"Professional Player A person who has mastered a skill set that enables them to participate at the highest level of competitive play. A person who has participated in Combine. A person who has declared Professional status and paid their NSL Professional status and registration fee. A person who has been drafted onto a Professional team. A person who has signed a contract for employment with a professional team. A person who is authorized to be compensated, without limit, by both their Franchise team and or Sponsors. Professionals participate in the sport for pay and or gain as a full-time occupation to an extend beyond both Amateurs and Semi-Professionals."

"Semi-Professional Player A person who has an advanced skill set that enables them to participate above Amateur, but below Professional level play. A person who has participated in Combine. A person who has declared Semi-Professional status and paid their NSL Semi-Professional status and registration fee. A person who has been drafted onto a Semi-Professional team. A person who has signed contract with employment for a semi-professional team. A person who is authorized to be compensated, within limits allowed by the NSL, by both their Franchise team and or Sponsors. Semi-Professionals participate in the sport for pay and or gain, but not as a full-time occupation"

Which, unless I'm misinterpreting, means that anyone on overkill or the dom's are automatically put into semi-pro since we've got some sponsorships on equipment. So that's a plus.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:51 PM #17
KGBbonecrusher

Ah wait:
Player A is ranked D1 in another league and registers as an Amateur for the NSL; said player is ineligible for Amateur play and their ranking request will be denied

Player A is ranked as a D3, D4, and or D5, player in another league, and registers as an Amateur for the NSL; said player is eligible for Amateur play and their ranking request will be approved

so.. I don't know is what I'm saying.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:23 AM #18
tyskidmore3
Thats not my name

tyskidmore3 plays in the PSP
tyskidmore3 helped look for balloons
tyskidmore3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
tyskidmore3 plays in the APPA D1 division
tyskidmore3 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBbonecrusher View Post
Ah wait:
Player A is ranked D1 in another league and registers as an Amateur for the NSL; said player is ineligible for Amateur play and their ranking request will be denied

Player A is ranked as a D3, D4, and or D5, player in another league, and registers as an Amateur for the NSL; said player is eligible for Amateur play and their ranking request will be approved

so.. I don't know is what I'm saying.
Well **** son...