Community Focus

Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM #1
Command Center
Austin Carter

Command Center is playing at Living Legends V
Command Center is for the Gunfight
Command Center has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Command Center is attending Decay of Nations VI
What Philosophy(s),/ Religion(s) Do you believe in and why?

I myself am a Taoist.
Taoism, modernly: Daoism; is a philosophical and religious tradition that emphasizes living in harmony with the Tao (modernly romanized as "Dao"). The term Tao means "way", "path" or "principle", and can also be found in Chinese philosophies and religions other than Taoism. In Taoism, however, Tao denotes something that is both the source and the driving force behind everything that exists. It is ultimately ineffable: "The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao."
Source is from Wikipedia, didn't feel like explaining everything on the keyboard! (:
Command Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM #2
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

has been a member for 10 years
Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
None, because I've yet to see anything to make me believe. That said I have no issue with people believeng what they want.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 PM #3
Animal_Mother (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17 View Post
None, because I've yet to see anything to make me believe. That said I have no issue with people believeng what they want.

Animal_Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM #4
marcozombie

Quote:

Ill take it a step further and add: As long as they don't push those beliefs on me or my family.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 PM #5
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

I have been flirting a lot with Christian existentialism; more Tillich less Soren. Anyone else? I would love someone to talk about it with.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 PM #6
earlsweatshirt (Banned)

I'm an atheist, prayers have gotten me nothing, and I believe religion is the problem and not the solution. But this is america, so believe whatever you want, I really would not care if people praised a carrot.
earlsweatshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM #7
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Lay off that sauce, Martian.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:02 PM #8
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Lay off that sauce, Martian.
I should.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:09 PM #9
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Quote:
You don't believe in any philosophies or religion; however, you post in a religion and philosophy forum. Interesting.

Owen Barfield, the first and last inkling, [C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien's circle] has some extremely interesting books. His philosophies are tucked away in my mind somewhere. Not completely believed, but it has in someway changed the way I write. "Poetic Diction" and "Saving Appearances A study in Idolatry"
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:57 AM #10
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
You don't believe in any philosophies or religion; however, you post in a religion and philosophy forum. Interesting.

Owen Barfield, the first and last inkling, [C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien's circle] has some extremely interesting books. His philosophies are tucked away in my mind somewhere. Not completely believed, but it has in someway changed the way I write. "Poetic Diction" and "Saving Appearances A study in Idolatry"
By none I meant religions or the more "religious" philosophies. (Daoism would be an apt example) I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to live without prescribing to at least some philosophical schools of thought.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM #11
Dynamopbers

I don't have a specific religion/philosophy that reflects my thoughts on the matter (very well could be i dunno?) but i think 2012 years ago this guy born jewish, remained a devout jew till the day he hung on a cross dieing for all of our sins. and we gotta worship him and the book that other people who (i swear) were there wrote.

Forealdough my view is everchanging, there's no way it will ever be all true. The only things i see to be true is that which happens in the world. I cannot speak for spiritual type stuff which i gotta hunch (belief, whatever) is true. Logic prevails. And change is the only thing that WILL happen.
Dynamopbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 PM #12
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal_Mother View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozombie View Post

Ill take it a step further and add: As long as they don't push those beliefs on me or my family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlsweatshirt View Post
I'm an atheist, prayers have gotten me nothing, and I believe religion is the problem and not the solution. But this is america, so believe whatever you want, I really would not care if people praised a carrot.
Quote:
By none I meant religions or the more "religious" philosophies. (Daoism would be an apt example) I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to live without prescribing to at least some philosophical schools of thought.
have you people considered answering the question posed in the thread title? There are quite a few philosophies and worldviews that do not consider any diety, including the OPs taoism. Are you apatheists, secular humanists, or just too ignorant on the subject to answer the question?

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM #13
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
Secular Humanist, or Vonnegut Existentialist...Although it really depends on the day. There are some things I shift around on and am on the fence about. Not entirely sure what the best label for the things I do/don't believe would be but those are my best two guesses, and the 2nd is hardly a real thing.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 PM #14
Dynamopbers

Why would this be a label (to yoself)??...it is a way of thought, and subjective, and always changing and therefore unseless if not for the reason of understanding.

If that makes sense.. maybe, could...aahhhh well fack.. i tried

naw wait
Dynamopbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 PM #15
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamopbers View Post
Why would this be a label (to yoself)??...it is a way of thought, and subjective, and always changing and therefore unseless if not for the reason of understanding.

If that makes sense.. maybe, could...aahhhh well fack.. i tried

naw wait
Drunk?
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM #16
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
have you people considered answering the question posed in the thread title? There are quite a few philosophies and worldviews that do not consider any diety, including the OPs taoism. Are you apatheists, secular humanists, or just too ignorant on the subject to answer the question?
Some people don't find any point in dumping themselves into a specific "ist" bucket, or want to waste time figuring out what those labels specifically entail.

I'm one of those people.

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"

Last edited by Spock : 11-16-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:38 PM #17
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Spme people don't find any point in dumping themselves into a specific "ist" bucket, or want to waste time figuring out what those labels specifically entail.

I'm one of those people.
Then why come into a thread explicitly made to discuss just that?

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 PM #18
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
Then why come into a thread explicitly made to discuss just that?
To answer a question you asked.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM #19
automagsrule
LOIC

But coming into a thread asking a question to post what amounts to "I refuse to answer this question" is borderline trolling.

-Terry Eagleton
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM #20
Iamamartianchurch

I'm a drunk who realized that the key to understanding existence is to stop ****ing thinking.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM #21
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons). That church and prayer saved my life multiple times when I was suicidal.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote