Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 AM #1
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Say something nice about the post or poster above

I see too much spite, too many insults and harsh words, and not enough discussion of political philosophy or even objective discussion of facts. Let us behave like gentlemen. Abandon ideologies. How do we know what an ideology is? I defer to Russel Kirk:

Quote:
First, ideologies are political and secularized religions. They take with them the symbols and energy of religions, but they focus almost exclusively on the material and on man rather than on the spiritual and on the Judeo-Christian God.

Second, by polarizing political and social thought, ideologies render the virtue of prudence impossible. False absolutes dominate, nuance withers, and compromise—the essence of prudence—becomes impossible. As man naturally desires something greater than himself, ideology assumes the dogma of established religions.[1]

And, third, being puritans, the ideologues quickly attack ideologues representing other ideologies and especially the deviants from their own ranks.[2]

[1] St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans (RSV; 1:18-24; 2:15)
[2] Kirk, The Politics of Prudence
Commence with the gentlemanly behavior.

Post Script - I recommend two books, One is from the Earl of Chesterfield to his son. http://www.amazon.com/Earl-Of-Cheste.../dp/1419173790

The second is Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson's Book of Maxims http://www.amazon.com/Stonewall-Jack.../dp/1581824858 (he hated being called Stonewall, by the by, and wished that honorary title were bestowed upon the unit/men under his command).
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 AM #2
Iamamartianchurch

I say this deserves s sticky, but, it will go ignored. Novel effort though, friend.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM #3
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
He is a veteran and mostly sane poster who responds instead of ducking.

Damnit Martian.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM #4
Iamamartianchurch

**** I was supposed to say something nice. OK.

Barrel Roll: I enjoy your commentary. Thought I might not always engage you, you have impressive insights from time to time.

F1: As frustrating as you can be on certain topics, you're able to communicate something without flying off the handles. Refreshing, for this forum.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM #5
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
All three of the above posters are far better than myself in refraining from personal attacks on those they disagree with. Such an approach is necessary for facilitating any sort of reasonable discussion, and we could all stand to gain by following as such.
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 AM #6
Swerve22

I enjoy SK's ability to make witty and well worded responses, even if sometimes I find myself the brunt of them.

You may not believe it, but I've actually chuckled aloud at some of your posts directed towards me in the past due to the creativity/wit you displayed.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM #7
Umami
Paragon

Umami supports our troops
As much as it irks me, I respect Swerve's ability to stick to his guns. I typically try to take a more academic and open approach to things, but in general discourse sometimes that leaves you flapping in the wind. He forced me to recognize that I needed to truly identify my core beliefs, and I appreciate that.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 AM #8
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

Mr. Umami typically has well thought out and supported positions, even if I often disagree with the conclusions he draws.

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.
Tafari Makonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM #9
chodeyg
sprezzatura

He is the deceased former ruler of Ethiopia, and did a good job driving the Italians out
Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM #10
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
At least you bring levity to this thread.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM #11
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Barrel, thinks independantly and can support and substantiate his opinions/posts.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM #12
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarusrat View Post
Barrel, thinks independantly and can support and substantiate his opinions/posts.
You've always been reasonable and have stuck to constituent pathways with explaining your posts.

Plus, you post great sources for entertainment, such as this:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...=#post77134162

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 PM #13
Iamamartianchurch

Treghc, your devil's advocacy makes it impossible to ascertain what you actually believe but goddamn it if it doesn't make us think.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:12 PM #14
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Martian, you challenge me to think along a very different path than I normally would.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM #15
marcozombie

I've come to pay a more attention and enjoy posts by Barrel, Martian, and Treghc. I don't alway comment or agree with them, but their view point is always noted and taken into account. I enyoy barrels well placed comments and food posts, Martian's tenacity and skill at arguing and Treghc's overall spot-on ability to apply logic to ideas/arguments. I envy this.

Id like to add that Silents puts in time and thought into his writing. His posts are clear and concise. I appreciate that.

Edit:

Great idea barrel. I think a thread like this serves almost as a heat sink to defuse frustration and ill feelings amongst ourselves ... especially during the heated election cycle.

Last edited by marcozombie : 10-31-2012 at 03:06 PM.
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 PM #16
marcozombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
As much as it irks me, I respect Swerve's ability to stick to his guns. I typically try to take a more academic and open approach to things, but in general discourse sometimes that leaves you flapping in the wind. He forced me to recognize that I needed to truly identify my core beliefs, and I appreciate that.
I second that.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 PM #17
Matt.is.back2011
Urban Warfare

MarcoZombie is a rational poster who brings a unique perspective as a Texas democrat. He supports his claims with sources, and attempts to use reason to support his emotional beliefs. His posts are enjoyable to read.

Edit: This is one of the best ideas this forum has had in a long, long time. Kudos BarrelRoll.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:39 PM #18
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Matt graduated from Ohio State. He is dedicated to his liberal ideology, and stands on his beliefs.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM #19
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
FE is consistent with his post structure and capitalization.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:56 PM #20
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
TBF has great taste in music and he's from AZ.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:17 PM #21
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
I don't have any reason to hate Sniper...and he has in my memory never used the fallback of anti-gay attacks to try and win in a post.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote