Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 01:25 AM #1
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Life

Every day I think about my purpose in this world. Every single day I wonder how it is that I should be living my life. I look at the society that I live in and I have a thousand questions. I'm frustrated and confused.

Our world has a finite amount of resources. There is only so much that we can consume until we eventually run out. This may be hundreds of years from now, or even thousands. Nobody knows.

Think about all of the resources that Americans alone, consume. Oil, water, natural gas, etc. Our country is constantly consuming. Many of us on this board have played paintball at one time or another. We shoot water/oil filled balls at each other for fun while people on the other side of the planet are dying of thirst. Does this bother no one? How is it that anyone makes it through their day while knowing that they are squandering our world's resources with their day to day activities?

At some point, at least with our current technology and rate of growth, we are gong to run out of these things. We will run out of oil. We will run out of water to farm with and in turn run out of food. This is inevitable. So why is it that we all live in this dream world, ignoring what is to come?

We consume so much, every single day. I don't need a car, a TV, a computer, etc. What I do need is food, water, and shelter. So why do we consume so much of this ****, making it harder for the rest of the world and any future life brought into it?

At some point this is all going to crash and burn and we will have to restart again. Do any of you ever think about this?
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 AM #2
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Jesus will come back long before we run out of the whole planet's resources. If the libtards and godless folk want to recycle and sing songs in weed circles, then go right ahead. I have faith in my God.
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 PM #3
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
I once got into minimalism (more from a christian perspective), but came to realize that life lived without pleasure in an attempt to prolong itself ironically is not worth prolonging. Yes, it's possible we can run ourselves into the ground. But to loosely paraphrase Keynes, we are gonna die before it happens, so who cares?
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM #4
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
But you are potentially ruining someone's life by being such a glutton. We can live off of less, and still be happy, so why must we consume so much?
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM #5
Umami
"That guy"
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baltimore
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
One does not need to be a glutton to enjoy themselves, if that's your route go for it. I try to keep my consumption down as well.

Sex, as it turns out, consumes very few resources
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 10-31-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 PM #6
Eric the Fish
 
 
Eric the Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
One does not need to be a glutton to enjoy themselves, if that's your route go for it. I try to keep my consumption down as well.

Sex, as it turns out, consumes very few resources
Get married and that will be rationed also.
Eric the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 AM #7
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Not having 10 children per family would be a good start.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 PM #8
Dynamopbers
 
 
Dynamopbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
We consume so much, every single day. I don't need a car, a TV, a computer, etc. What I do need is food, water, and shelter. So why do we consume so much of this ****, making it harder for the rest of the world and any future life brought into it?

At some point this is all going to crash and burn and we will have to restart again. Do any of you ever think about this?
Dynamite man...

I actually often think about this... not everyday however. Once the industrial engine got going, who the **** wouldn't be on board??? Everythings better now, GREAT!!!
In my opinion, for us to actually progress (as a "society") we need to have less things, much less things. But Capitalisms a *****, how much ****in money does one man need? You live in an egotistical fantasy, everythings alright cuz you can have it covered.

Not to hate but the best country in the world (...US.........................) ran propaganda during WWII saying once it wins it will feed (or have as a goal) alllllll the mofos in the world. **** that when everythings good in your neighbourhood.

Is this a society of love? God no. You can't talk to a stranger sometimes. If we're not shooting for love then what in the ****............

IMO its crashing and burning, seems like a lil too many baby boomers realized they got a killllllllllller oppurtunity.

But that's just me
Dynamopbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 AM #9
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
Every day I think about my purpose in this world. Every single day I wonder how it is that I should be living my life. I look at the society that I live in and I have a thousand questions. I'm frustrated and confused.

Our world has a finite amount of resources. There is only so much that we can consume until we eventually run out. This may be hundreds of years from now, or even thousands. Nobody knows.

Think about all of the resources that Americans alone, consume. Oil, water, natural gas, etc. Our country is constantly consuming. Many of us on this board have played paintball at one time or another. We shoot water/oil filled balls at each other for fun while people on the other side of the planet are dying of thirst. Does this bother no one? How is it that anyone makes it through their day while knowing that they are squandering our world's resources with their day to day activities?

At some point, at least with our current technology and rate of growth, we are gong to run out of these things. We will run out of oil. We will run out of water to farm with and in turn run out of food. This is inevitable. So why is it that we all live in this dream world, ignoring what is to come?

We consume so much, every single day. I don't need a car, a TV, a computer, etc. What I do need is food, water, and shelter. So why do we consume so much of this ****, making it harder for the rest of the world and any future life brought into it?

At some point this is all going to crash and burn and we will have to restart again. Do any of you ever think about this?
Something to consider, America is the 3rd largest producer of oil yet 2/3s of its oil consumption is imported.

Industrial society won't crash. It will gradually fade out as waning fossil fuel reserved are increasingly focused on essential services. There was a window of opportunity a decades ago to transition our infrastructure to accept nuclear energy, but that is well past the point of any realistic possibility. Even the prospect of thorium is too little too late as nuclear technology cannot even sustain itself without the use of petroleum. Petroleum aside, the funding required for such a project in today's economic situation is wholly unrealistic. With billions of dollars spent in mere election campaigns, it is foolish to assume that our philosophy will change over night and open a floodgate of money into research.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 AM #10
Mr.JimJims2.0
G.O.O.D
 
Mr.JimJims2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the PSP
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the APPA D4 division
There's a lot more to life than resources and consumables man. Don't get hung up on what other people don't have relative to you, because relative to them, they might have all they need in the world. Just enjoy what you have and do something that you love. Watch the documentary "Happy" on netflix. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

As for resources running out, technology will absolutely not stagnate anytime soon, so don't worry about it. There are a lot of very smart people doing great research on "green" tech, to make a swooping statement. Trust me, I'm a scientist.
__________________
San Francisco Edge.
2007 ego for sale!
Santa Clara Paintball**Fatlace

NCC!
Mr.JimJims2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 PM #11
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JimJims2.0 View Post
As for resources running out, technology will absolutely not stagnate anytime soon, so don't worry about it. There are a lot of very smart people doing great research on "green" tech, to make a swooping statement. Trust me, I'm a scientist.
Wow, you need to read over my post again. You also don't seem to know that green tech isn't exactly worth tits for **** towards mechanical motion....which is, like, obligatory for the survival of industry society.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:08 AM #12
Mr.JimJims2.0
G.O.O.D
 
Mr.JimJims2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the PSP
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Wow, you need to read over my post again. You also don't seem to know that green tech isn't exactly worth tits for **** towards mechanical motion....which is, like, obligatory for the survival of industry society.
I'm not sure what you are getting at. Are you addressing the funding required for a significant impact of research, the innovation in general, or both?

Regardless, I'm not saying there will be a revolution over night. All I'm saying is that there is hope for enough sustainability to enable some more hope for more research. I also used "green tech" somewhat generously, if that's what's bothering you.

Edit: Ok as far as mechanical motion goes; I somewhat agree, in that green tech is in its infancy for that application. But to say it isn't worth **** is IMO shortsighted.
__________________
San Francisco Edge.
2007 ego for sale!
Santa Clara Paintball**Fatlace

NCC!

Last edited by Mr.JimJims2.0 : 11-30-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Mr.JimJims2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 PM #13
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JimJims2.0 View Post
I'm not sure what you are getting at. Are you addressing the funding required for a significant impact of research, the innovation in general, or both?

Regardless, I'm not saying there will be a revolution over night. All I'm saying is that there is hope for enough sustainability to enable some more hope for more research. I also used "green tech" somewhat generously, if that's what's bothering you.

Edit: Ok as far as mechanical motion goes; I somewhat agree, in that green tech is in its infancy for that application. But to say it isn't worth **** is IMO shortsighted.
Which green tech do you believe could support the automobile?
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 PM #14
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Which green tech do you believe could support the automobile?
Microalgae biofuel.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 PM #15
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Huh?
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump