mhb379 is BST Legit
mhb379 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
mhb379 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
mhb379 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mhb379 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mhb379 supports DLX Technology
mhb379 supports Empire
Geo 2.1 Vs. Geo 3 Vs. Dye DM12 Vs. Clone GT

Hello, I just got back into paintball and currently own a Planet Eclipse Etek 3 and was thinking of upgrading in the near future. My most important criteria is having a reliable marker, that has low maintenance and can compete and keep up with any marker. I Purchased the Etek 3 for low price and reviews of reliability. Is upgrading to Geo, DM, Clone worth the $$, what really differentiates the "mid-grad" Etek with these " high-end" markers ? What is your opinion on best choice with my criteria ? Let me know what you think ! Thanks
mhb379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:14 AM #2
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Darko9989 is playing at Living Legends V
Darko9989 is for the Gunfight
Darko9989 supports Pev's Paintball
Darko9989 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Darko9989 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb379
Hello, I just got back into paintball and currently own a Planet Eclipse Etek 3 and was thinking of upgrading in the near future. My most important criteria is having a reliable marker, that has low maintenance and can compete and keep up with any marker. I Purchased the Etek 3 for low price and reviews of reliability. Is upgrading to Geo, DM, Clone worth the $$, what really differentiates the "mid-grad" Etek with these " high-end" markers ? What is your opinion on best choice with my criteria ? Let me know what you think ! Thanks
If you want a low maintenance marker I would stay away from the 3 you listed. The Geo is the easiest spool to maintain but it is still a spool. It needs some care. The clone has the most complicated drive in paintball. You will need to learn it and take care of it. It is my favorite marker by far though. The DMs require a lot of care. They can also be finicky. Especially in cold weather. If you want a low maintenance marker I would suggest upgrading to an Ego 11 or a G6R. Since they are poppets they will be extremely easy to maintain. The ego more than the g6r since the g6r requires a pressure tester and only BL certified lube (Dow 55, triflow). Plus since you are familiar with the etek, both poppets will also feel familiar to you. If you are set on the 3 you listed I would pick the geo as it is almost as easy to maintain as the poppets.
Darko9989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM #3
mhb379
Play To Win

Annual Supporting Member
mhb379 is BST Legit
mhb379 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko9989 View Post
If you want a low maintenance marker I would stay away from the 3 you listed. The Geo is the easiest spool to maintain but it is still a spool. It needs some care. The clone has the most complicated drive in paintball. You will need to learn it and take care of it. It is my favorite marker by far though. The DMs require a lot of care. They can also be finicky. Especially in cold weather. If you want a low maintenance marker I would suggest upgrading to an Ego 11 or a G6R. Since they are poppets they will be extremely easy to maintain. The ego more than the g6r since the g6r requires a pressure tester and only BL certified lube (Dow 55, triflow). Plus since you are familiar with the etek, both poppets will also feel familiar to you. If you are set on the 3 you listed I would pick the geo as it is almost as easy to maintain as the poppets.
Thanks for your input. I was first thinking bout upgrading to an Ego 11 but I read how it is similar to the Etek in many ways that it isn't worth that much of the price difference ? Therefore I was thinking of going into spool markers, playing tight speedball and my first thought was the Geo for reliability. Will I see a big difference in performance from a "mid grade" Etek to a Geo ?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 AM #4
ROCKNROLLA

ROCKNROLLA plays in the PSP
ROCKNROLLA plays in the APPA D4 division
ROCKNROLLA supports DLX Technology
Imo the clone gt drive is super easy to maintain unless you cant read the manual. As long as you can read and follow directions than you will be fine. I have never had a problem with my GT and I have had it since release.

GEARBAG SALE!!!

2 Luxe 2.0's and a 2k2 dragon FS/FT
ROCKNROLLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 AM #5
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
1) Worth is a subjective term and we can not answer whether or not the price is worth the cost. Does it cost more? Yes. Will they shoot better? Yes. Is it worth it? ?????

2) If you really want a set it and forget it marker, do not invest $1,000+ into a gun. Get an etha or etek or something that can take the abuse you wish to give it. You cant run a ferrari off roading and the guns you mentioned are those of the paintball world (save the geos as I have a profound pain including them in the same class as a GT).
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM #6
mhb379
Play To Win

Annual Supporting Member
mhb379 is BST Legit
mhb379 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35 View Post
1) Worth is a subjective term and we can not answer whether or not the price is worth the cost. Does it cost more? Yes. Will they shoot better? Yes. Is it worth it? ?????

2) If you really want a set it and forget it marker, do not invest $1,000+ into a gun. Get an etha or etek or something that can take the abuse you wish to give it. You cant run a ferrari off roading and the guns you mentioned are those of the paintball world (save the geos as I have a profound pain including them in the same class as a GT).
1. Worth I mean is the performance of these markers noticeably different to justify price difference and in what ways ? If a "mid grade" Etek is shooting 12.5+ bps, reliable, etc. what are you getting in addition ?

2. I do not want to abuse these markers. I take care of everything I own and try to use with care but I do not want a marker that constantly needs work done on it, constant complicated maintenance, malfunctions, etc. I want a high end marker that has the least difficultly in the maintenance field and stays reliable. I owned an Angel LCD in the past and every time I went to use it there was a problem and had to pay for repairs.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 PM #7
Zippin35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb379 View Post
1. Worth I mean is the performance of these markers noticeably different to justify price difference and in what ways ? If a "mid grade" Etek is shooting 12.5+ bps, reliable, etc. what are you getting in addition ?

Please see my prior post, you seem to have not read/understood it at all.

2. I do not want to abuse these markers. I take care of everything I own and try to use with care but I do not want a marker that constantly needs work done on it, constant complicated maintenance, malfunctions, etc. I want a high end marker that has the least difficultly in the maintenance field and stays reliable. I owned an Angel LCD in the past and every time I went to use it there was a problem and had to pay for repairs.

If you take care of any gun it will be reliable for the most part unless there is an issue with machining then regular maintenance should eliminate most issues. Very few guns today have the difficult maintenance you seem to be used to so if that is your hesitation then all of these guns are the same as far as maintenance and reliability, the geo is a small step above.
Responses in red.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM #8
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKNROLLA
Imo the clone gt drive is super easy to maintain unless you cant read the manual. As long as you can read and follow directions than you will be fine. I have never had a problem with my GT and I have had it since release.
It is easy to maintain if you know what you are doing. I personally love ripping my VX apart. The only reason I mentioned it is because OP listed ease of maintenance as one of his first priorities. If that is the case, you cant just let a Clone sit between X number of cases like you can a Geo. if you do not take the time to take care of it the clone might give you a few problems.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM #9
mhb379
Play To Win

Annual Supporting Member
mhb379 is BST Legit
mhb379 supports Empire
Quote:
It is easy to maintain if you know what you are doing. I personally love ripping my VX apart. The only reason I mentioned it is because OP listed ease of maintenance as one of his first priorities. If that is the case, you cant just let a Clone sit between X number of cases like you can a Geo. if you do not take the time to take care of it the clone might give you a few problems.
I think I am stuck between the Geo 2.1/3 or an Ego 11. Looking to buy them slightly pre-owned to save on cost. I am an aggressive front player, usually in the snake so unsure if Geo would be better for that since its size and no exposed open bolt or an Ego would be fine as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM #10
mhb379
Play To Win

Annual Supporting Member
mhb379 is BST Legit
mhb379 supports Empire
Quote:
Responses in red.
1. Yes, I did read your post and you did not really say anything at all. Simply stating the obvious that it costs more doesn't provide me with any information I didn't already know. Stating it shoots better doesn't fully explain the question I asked, if you read. What differentiates the "mid grade " Etek to the high end Geo and justifies the price difference ? What more are you truly getting crossing into the high end marker and price range ?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 PM #11
Zippin35

Quote:
1. Yes, I did read your post and you did not really say anything at all. Simply stating the obvious that it costs more doesn't provide me with any information I didn't already know. Stating it shoots better doesn't fully explain the question I asked, if you read. What differentiates the "mid grade " Etek to the high end Geo and justifies the price difference ? What more are you truly getting crossing into the high end marker and price range ?
Didn't understand, got it. So the point is that, once again, worth is subjective. Some people believe that the extra performance is worth the price. Others do not as it is all up to you. I have told you there is a price difference and I have told you that there is a performance difference but only you can decide if it is "worth it". If you can't tell what makes them different then do your research as all that is readily available and has been stated a million times over. As for worth, hopefully you can re read all my posts and see what you had missed.

And to your second, there is a world of difference between an etek and a geo. Figure it out

Last edited by Zippin35 : 11-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM #12
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Didn't understand, got it. So the point is that, once again, worth is subjective. Some people believe that the extra performance is worth the price. Others do not as it is all up to you. I have told you there is a price difference and I have told you that there is a performance difference but only you can decide if it is "worth it". If you can't tell what makes them different then do your research as all that is readily available and has been stated a million times over. As for worth, hopefully you can re read all my posts and see what you had missed.

And to your second, there is a world of difference between an etek and a geo. Figure it out
Nice revision.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM #13
mhb379
Play To Win

Annual Supporting Member
mhb379 is BST Legit
mhb379 supports Empire
Quote:

All you stated was it shoots " better ". I was looking for more of a detailed explanation of what you are getting for the price and crossing over to the high end markers. I have ready many threads where they say the Etek and Ego are so similar it is not "worth it", meanwhile the Ego is double the price. I have been trying to "figure" this out and is the reason why I asked these questions, to get a direct answers and opinions from experienced people, not to figure it out myself.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 PM #14
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Quote:
All you stated was it shoots " better ". I was looking for more of a detailed explanation of what you are getting for the price and crossing over to the high end markers. I have ready many threads where they say the Etek and Ego are so similar it is not "worth it", meanwhile the Ego is double the price. I have been trying to "figure" this out and is the reason why I asked these questions, to get a direct answers and opinions from experienced people, not to figure it out myself.
Ego has a quieter shot, smoother shot, better barrel, more adjustable trigger, adjustable solenoid, better ASA (Pops), LCD display, more detailed milling, and is lighter. Many of these are just luxuries. The Ego will not make you a more effective player. I think what Zippin was trying to get across is that it is all up to you if these luxuries are worth the extra cash.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 PM #15
mhb379
Play To Win

Annual Supporting Member
mhb379 is BST Legit
mhb379 supports Empire
Quote:
Ego has a quieter shot, smoother shot, better barrel, more adjustable trigger, adjustable solenoid, better ASA (Pops), LCD display, more detailed milling, and is lighter. Many of these are just luxuries. The Ego will not make you a more effective player. I think what Zippin was trying to get across is that it is all up to you if these luxuries are worth the extra cash.

Yes, these are the details I was looking for !! Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 PM #16
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Yes, these are the details I was looking for !! Thanks
NP. Let us know if end up upgrading or if you have any other questions.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 PM #17
mhb379
Play To Win

Annual Supporting Member
mhb379 is BST Legit
mhb379 supports Empire
Quote:
NP. Let us know if end up upgrading or if you have any other questions.
Will do ! I just need to think it over really between the Ego 11 or the Geo. I know two different platforms, if I want to get into the spool or stay with what I know and stick with a poppet. Thanks for the info and advice !
Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM #18
BELOWZERO
2JZGTE POWERED

Annual Supporting Member
BELOWZERO is playing at Living Legends V
BELOWZERO is playing at Living Legends VI
BELOWZERO owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
BELOWZERO supports Team VICIOUS
BELOWZERO plays in the APPA D4 division
BELOWZERO is Legendary
BELOWZERO is Boss
geo 3 ive owned all 4, my second choice would be the GT then the 2.1 then the dm12

MUST STOP GUN BEING A GUN WHORE
FOR ALL YOUR BOBLONG NEEDS PM TIM2THOUSAND4
Field of Dreams
900-999-999
BELOWZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 AM #19
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELOWZERO View Post
geo 3 ive owned all 4, my second choice would be the GT then the 2.1 then the dm12
Just curious as to why you put the Geo above the GT
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 AM #20
Zippin35

Quote:
I am telling you that all of this information is readily available. You asked about 4 different high end guns and then asked what makes them better. Every gun has different attributes and different things it does well. If you have a question on a gun, do a bit of research before asking something that can be found so easily. It is great to come here and ask for opinions or help from more experienced players but it is annoying to walk in here, do little to no research and expect people to answer all of your questions. Do some work on your own and when you have something a little more detailed than "what separates a med level etek from a high end Geo" come back and we can help you from there.

Quote:
I think what Zippin was trying to get across is that it is all up to you if these luxuries are worth the extra cash.
Along with being right about all the points on what the difference between an Ego and Etek is (I'll let it slide that he answered your second question but you chose not to berate him) he is also right about my opinion. Do some research to learn the difference and then ask some questions.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 AM #21
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
No paintball gun should be hard to maintain if you can read directions. So really, ease of maintenance should not be an issue. It used to be for me, but then I realized, I was just over thinking everything.

In all honestly, the biggest mistake newer people make, and I have made is over maintenance, yes, I said it. Thinking too far into it, you end up doing more than you intended to and screw the marker up. Or just taking the marker completely apart to re-assemble because you enjoy doing it. End up misplacing something or not aligning it properly and then it ends up all fubar.

Geo 2.1, for around 650-800 range (800 for sweet colors, special editions, immaculate condition), I don't think there is another gun on the market that can beat it in that range, right now. Maintenance is a breeze, unscrew backcap, pull out, push bolt out from front, take front o ring off bolt, lube up , put all back together, and you're money.

NOBAMA
rexisme is online now   Reply With Quote