Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-18-2012, 02:38 PM #1
MOTORHEAD

Epoxy to seal inline air hole?

Replacing an Invasion's stock inline regulator with an AKA SST and on/off. I can not find a rail that is fat enough to cover the air hole at the bottom of the grip frame. An old school Hybrid rail almost did the trick, but not quite. Looks like I have to plug up the hole with some epoxy.

I was thinking JB Weld, but maybe somebody else has some ideas.
MOTORHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 AM #2
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If you know anyone that can tap some threads in the hole and then just plug it with a screw that might work. Plus you could also remove it and return the gun to stock setup in the future with a quick removal of the screw.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:25 AM #3
OSU Sam

I highly suggest not to use JB weld or any sort of thing like that. It looks ghetto and absolutely will ruin the value of the marker.
OSU Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 AM #4
MOTORHEAD

Well the ship has sailed.

Mstrkey, looked into a self tapping screw, but the hole is too close to a side wall. It would have tapped out too much metal for the gun to hold its integrity.

I used JB Weld Stik, which was easily formable to the hole. Looks very professional actually.

The Invasion is now shooting great with an AKA SST on a generic on/off. Planning on getting a new on/off soon.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM #5
MstrKey

JB weld stick? Nice, I never heard of that. Looks pretty good actually. Nicely done.

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 AM #6
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
my worry is being able to remove it? I feel like jack would have had an idea, he designed the gun to be able to do what you just did but im sure he didnt have jb weld in mind.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM #7
MstrKey

I know what you mean. Oh well, looks like he's never selling his invasion lol.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM #8
MOTORHEAD

Not planning on it haha. And if I did, I am pretty sure I have the only one w/o the stock inline, so that may be an incentive if I do decide to sell.

In terms of removal, the stuff is pretty permanent. I would likely have to drill a hole through the epoxy, then dremel a seat for the oring in the epoxy itself.

Should be pretty easy, but so far every aspect of the gun has improved with the SST and on/off. Efficiency, consistency, and my LPR is even running in the high 60s, give-or-take!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 PM #9
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

how do you know where your lpr is at?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:26 PM #10
MOTORHEAD

Before replacing the stock inline regulator, I sweet spotted both the inline and LPR to 300 FPS. According to the manual, that would have gotten my LPR in the ~75psi range.

After installing the SST and on/off, I was shooting around 330fps w/o adjusting the LPR screw from the previous setup. I re-sweet spotted both regs, and the LPR is now about 1/4 - 1/2 turns out from where it was previously, still shooting +/- 2 at 300fps. I assume that would put me somewhere in the high 60s, maybe 70psi.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 AM #11
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

o wow that is some nice info. I have been considering the aka two liter reg for my 09 but im not sure i want to spend the money for a regulator when i may be making a big gun purchase in the near future.

sounds like the indy will be the gun i use in nppl chicago though, so this might be worth it in the end.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 AM #12
MOTORHEAD

Just played with the new setup for the first time tonight, and I am loving it. I don't want to "recommend" anything, since Jack already puts great regs on all his guns, but I can attest to there being no downsides to an AKA on an Alien
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 AM #13
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

aka has always had the goto regulators.

ive been messing with the idea of hooking a gauge to the low pressure hose that runs to the rammer housing. would be neat to see what pressures im running. im a visual person
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM #14
MstrKey

I always used to run AKA regs on my dye guns. They made a decent amount of difference. That super fast recharge rate just lets you drop a lot of pressures down a bit. Now if they would only make them better looking lol.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 AM #15
griffan2
Parabolic Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
griffan2 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxx04 View Post
aka has always had the goto regulators.

ive been messing with the idea of hooking a gauge to the low pressure hose that runs to the rammer housing. would be neat to see what pressures im running. im a visual person

^ the tiny pin just below the lpr on the front of the body is for use of a pressure tester.
griffan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 AM #16
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

for an independence? looks like a milling hole to me, plugged by a set screw and locktite. at least thats how most guns are..
Old 11-22-2012, 12:58 PM #17
MstrKey

Lpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxx04 View Post
for an independence? looks like a milling hole to me, plugged by a set screw and locktite. at least thats how most guns are..
Right! Don't take that screw out. You're just asking for trouble lol.

Worrying about your LPR pressure is pointless anyway. It needs to be where it needs to be, regardless of the number.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM #18
Jack Rice

Jack Rice works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Rice posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffan2 View Post
^ the tiny pin just below the lpr on the front of the body is for use of a pressure tester.
He's right.
Lower hole in grip frame is HPR test hole standard 5 mm fitting and 4mm hose. It will still work even though you sealed the end to the reg.
Top hole- below LPR is for LPR. Again 5 mm fitting. I was planning on making test kits but the gun is so easy to set up it wasn't worth making a kit. We started setting the new guns with our test kits but it was just a waste of time.
Jack Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 PM #19
MstrKey

Interesting.......I did not know that. I can see a whack of people now taking the screws out and causing leaks lol.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 PM #20
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

for the indy?? the hole under the lpr looooks so small and i cant even find the one for the hpr lol.

id rather just put a gauge on the line coming from the lpr housing (disconnecting the ram) and just seeing where its at.

i just like to know
Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 AM #21
griffan2
Parabolic Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
griffan2 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rice View Post
He's right.
Lower hole in grip frame is HPR test hole standard 5 mm fitting and 4mm hose. It will still work even though you sealed the end to the reg.
Top hole- below LPR is for LPR. Again 5 mm fitting. I was planning on making test kits but the gun is so easy to set up it wasn't worth making a kit. We started setting the new guns with our test kits but it was just a waste of time.
pinky and thumb does the trick every time hahahha only takes 10 seconds from scratch.

the hole im talking about is on the invasion only.

Last edited by griffan2 : 11-23-2012 at 12:29 AM.
griffan2 is offline   Reply With Quote