PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 PM #1
Ryanf58

Ryanf58 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ryanf58 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Few questions about Spyder Fenix 2012.

What are some good upgraded barrels for the Spyder Fenix 2012 that will let me shoot further more accurately? And will a standard gravity fed hopper work fine for it or do I need something else? And if something else recommendations?

Last edited by Ryanf58 : 06-17-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Ryanf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM #2
theblindchicken
49'er

theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
Consistent paint and a good match between paint size and the barrel's inner bore are the keys to accuracy.

Length doesn't make any difference since you'll be firing at ~275 fps from the tip of the barrel whether it is 8" or 8'.

Material matters slightly only because you're able to have a nice smooth barrel with aluminum compared to fully carbon fiber barrels (not carbon wrapped).
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM #3
Ryanf58

Ryanf58 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ryanf58 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Cool thanks for the reply.
Ryanf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM #4
savage24x

savage24x owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
savage24x has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
14" barrel should be the longest that you go. Why? Anything after that, the length doesn't affect performance whatsoever, and the air isn't going to propel the ball any more than 14" really. I use a .689 J&J Ceramics barrel. As accurate as I can get it, because it all depends on your paint to inner bore size.

Ninja 68/4500, Dye i4 Tactical w/ Northern Lights lens, Empire Reloader B

IUP Crimson Hawks

GORGEOUS PINK EGO 8 F/S/T
savage24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 AM #5
PhantomGhost
Fraggle Rocker

Annual Supporting Member
PhantomGhost donated to help Peyton Trent
PhantomGhost supports our troops
PhantomGhost is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Find two 14" barrels and connect them with duct tape. Barrels are like stickers on a car, the more you have, the better and faster it goes.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM #6
nenkitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage24x View Post
14" barrel should be the longest that you go. Why? Anything after that, the length doesn't affect performance whatsoever, and the air isn't going to propel the ball any more than 14" really. I use a .689 J&J Ceramics barrel. As accurate as I can get it, because it all depends on your paint to inner bore size.
you mean if I increase the pressure or increase my valve dwell then the extra gasses won't accelerate a ball past 14 inches? Please, take two barrels, the shortest you can find, and the longest, and tune both guns to shoot 280fps out the tip of both of them. Guess what, if I can make a 16in barrel shoot 280fps and a 14in barrel shoot 280fps, proving that the gas is accelerating the ball past 14 inches.

Though the argument with accuracy is a different story. Ball to bore fitment is the most important part when it comes to accuracy, efficiency, and all that other junk.

Spyder E-99 Avant (out of commission/spimmifying)
Kingman EM-1: Kapp Bushmaster V/A, Bumper mod, Modded stock bolt, Tboarded (ver a), WGP Ergo reg

My Feedback
nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 AM #7
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanf58 View Post
What are some good upgraded barrels for the Spyder Fenix 2012 that will let me shoot further more accurately? And will a standard gravity fed hopper work fine for it or do I need something else? And if something else recommendations?

#1 recommendation to any new spyder owner, tune it out. Drop the pressure untill it doesn't fire, raise a little bit at a time. Chrono 3-5 shots at a time and increase until desired FPS is achieved. Any mods re-tune. If your a backwoods baller, mark out 50ft with a big stick in the ground and stick a foldger can on top head height. Raise velocity untill your hitting the target straight, ball should taper off after target. This will get you pretty close if your at home without a chrono, Highly recommend purchasing one or use field chornos. For saftey.

*Barrel is fine, See tuning procedures. If still require barrel shoot for an underbore (tight fit usually .089) and go cheap with a spyder. A CP if your looking for colors and traditional totally smooth bore barrel. A J&J if you want the ceramic magic barrel that "cleans" break, it doesn't clean them but it does a pretty good job in a pinch. Most usefull in Longer games where you might not have a squeegee accessible otherwise short games it doesn't matter you'll be out quick enough.

*For love that is good in the world get a better hopper. Quick suggestion get a rotor, they're the tits mcgee. Used and cheap an old school revvy (look it up) sound activation up to 13bps, hard to find not the best but fairly reliable. Next up a Halo B, look for "like new" with goodies and offer them like $50-$70 bucks any more and you might as well splurge on a rotor, or a magna or the newest empire. Forget the spire, I don't even know why they try, someone tell me. Also people buy fasta, but I know absolutely nothing nor have I seen one in person or action, but they are made by kindman!

*Anything else? Not really, I've heard that tech-t bolts help you gain a little efficiency, but they are kinda expensive (re-tune to gain correct lower pressure an accurate FPS) If your bored you can get a different regulator, macrolines, on/off ASA, VS tadao board w/m7 chip, sending it out for custom anno and engraving. ECT. Whatever floats your boat man.

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.

Last edited by ferret15 : 06-25-2013 at 06:31 AM.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:27 AM #8
jobforajoel

jobforajoel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i use an 14in evil pipe i found for 20 bucks with an iFIT barrel kit on my 08 electra and it shoots great. strongly recommend a 14 or 16
jobforajoel is offline   Reply With Quote