Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 AM #1
Tempted (Banned)

New life for an old DM

CAUTION! Some images may be offensive to those over the age of 18. Viewer discretion is advised.

Okay this thread will be very picture heavy. This is a marker I got in for a simple re-seal and rebuild to get it operational. Fortunately he wasn't in an enormous hurry and I had a few things I wanted to try on the gun. He told me "Do what you want, all I care about is getting it back in working condition". He even added that he doesn't care if its the ugliest DM ever as long as it works. After a little hesitation, I dug in.

This is how it arrived. Not all that bad but there is some pretty heavy metal damage in a few places, mostly the right side trigger guard and body line.

As soon as I got it I pulled it down to replace the seals and get it all cleaned up.

After I got the O rings replaced and a random piece of corkscrewed aluminum removed from under the solenoid, I put air to it and it sealed up great. I ran into a problem when I tried to install a barrel on it, the nose was dinged up and the barrel wouldn't screw in.

This is where things got interesting. I had to repair the nose and the only way was to heat the metal and push it back in place. After that I decided to take it all a step further. And this was the initial test. I stripped the frame, spent some time on the metal and gave it a little love to get rid of the dents, then polished it up to see how it would look. This was a very quick polishing job, it looks much cleaner now. The gun is behind the frame so you get an idea of what the finish looked like.

Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2012, 02:02 AM #2
Tempted (Banned)

It came out all right so this happened next. This is where the pictures get a little gory.

Here is after the first round of metal smoothing and dent removing.

Then it was cleaned and went for round two.

Started making some progress after round three.

And here she is in the nude. This is raw, after the fourth and final round of metal work.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 AM #3
Tempted (Banned)

Saved for more pictures.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 AM #4
Tempted (Banned)

Uploading as we speak.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 AM #5
Tempted (Banned)

It looks nice and clean now, the polished pictures are uploading.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 AM #6
Tempted (Banned)

This is my last saved post. The anodized pictures are waiting to be uploaded. I chose not to color it, it looks very nice polished and anodized.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 AM #7
slb061
feel fear & do it anyway

Annual Supporting Member
slb061 posts videos on PbNation
slb061 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
slb061 is a top reviewer
looks like you cleaned it up nicely. looking forward to seeing the anno/polish. never been a huge fan of the clear anno though. but to each its own

Icon DM7 / APE RAMPAGE OLED board / hyper 4 reg / Critical Raze Trigger
slb061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 AM #8
Tempted (Banned)

Well I did clear because its what this came with and I didn't want to risk too much. Unfortunately I had a massive computer reset(Windows 7 = the Devil) so the pictures have to be re-uploaded but they are coming.

I did something new to strip the old ano off. I tried it out a few times on some cheap stuff I have but this was the first decent piece I did. I only stripped the exterior. I did not remove the factory smooth ano on either tube or the belly. It is a pretty complicated process but works fantastically.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 AM #9
dirtraven

has been a member for 10 years
dirtraven is playing at Living Legends VII
dirtraven owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dirtraven supports Team VICIOUS
Looks Good!

Good Ole Autococker

Red Camo/Blackened GTi
dirtraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM #10
speedy2k4
BSH University

Annual Supporting Member
speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
speedy2k4 is BST Legit
I feel like the original anodizing didn't look that bad, better than any DM6 I've worked on recently.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:30 PM #11
Tempted (Banned)

The original finish was not even close to repairable. The frame had deep dents, and the ano was bashed through in 4 different places. The body needed a lot of work. If you look closely you'll see that I had to remove a great deal of metal from the passenger side. So much so that I had to soften the lines to reduce the dramatic difference between the driver side.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM #12
speedy2k4
BSH University

Annual Supporting Member
speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
speedy2k4 is BST Legit
Obviously it was well used, I see some dings on the body and maybe chips and a little but of corrosion on the trigger guard. Nothing unusual for a 7yr old marker.

The first few pics in the 2nd post look pretty bad though, and can't tell if all the little specs in the polished pics are dust or pitting. Interested to see what it looks like after the new anodizing.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM #13
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
PM me how much you are charging for this? Do you do anno or are you just gunna leave it polished naked? Might be interested in having work done to my DM5
Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM #14
Tempted (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2k4 View Post
Obviously it was well used, I see some dings on the body and maybe chips and a little but of corrosion on the trigger guard. Nothing unusual for a 7yr old marker.

The first few pics in the 2nd post look pretty bad though, and can't tell if all the little specs in the polished pics are dust or pitting. Interested to see what it looks like after the new anodizing.
The frame was actually not corrosion. It was a spot of the finish that had taken a hit and chipped off. I tried to clean it up before I stripped it, there was no saving the finish.

Yes its just dust and black soot(polishing aluminum will literally paint your hands black) on the body. All the original finish was removed.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM #15
Tempted (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
PM me how much you are charging for this? Do you do anno or are you just gunna leave it polished naked? Might be interested in having work done to my DM5
Well to be honest I don't know what I'll charge to do this, it isn't something I've offered before. I've only restored markers to working condition, I've never offered the cosmetics before. Yes I do ano and this one has been ano'd, just don't have the pictures uploaded yet. The finish might change in the next day or so.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 PM #16
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
I love this! Any other plans for it?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:31 AM #17
B BoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2k4 View Post

This is my dm6 and it wasn't well used, at all, just look at the grip wear lol. I bought it brand new from my field in 06/07 and used it maybe 8-10 times before I started college. All of the imperfections were caused by sitting in a gearbag of paintball gear and airsoft guns for the past 6 years.
Virtue Paintball
|O'HARE Paintball Park |

Last edited by B BoP : 10-29-2012 at 01:37 AM.
B BoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:34 AM #18
B BoP

And like tempted noted, I gave him full range to do what he wants with it as long as it's in working order. So far so good. Idk if he wants me to say this, but he literally responds to every question or comment within a day, and as you can see he's somewhat of a perfectionist. Couldn't be happier with how this progressed and I don't even have it back yet. I know where I'm sending my markers from now on.
Virtue Paintball
|O'HARE Paintball Park |
B BoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:22 PM #19
Tempted (Banned)

I'm not going to lie and say its perfect, but it came out pretty good. This is anodized, out of the pot and not yet buffed.

We decided to add a color and B BoP mentioned that he liked red, so this is the body as it stands now. The frame and other accents are deep blue/purple.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM #20
Tempted (Banned)

Here is the frame and I'll post some assembled pictures tomorrow. I wanted to do something a little more exotic but didn't want to chance ruining the marker. I'm still a newbie when it comes to anodizing.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM #21
Tempted (Banned)

By the way the splotches you see is just wax residue. Will wipe off.