Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 PM #1
yorktronic

Matrix noob - need some recommendations!

Hey all,

I'm just getting back in to paintball after a 7 year hiatus, and a buddy of mine gave me a Gen-E Matrix (or DM3?) that he didn't have room for any more. I'm new to Matricies - I previously only used mags (automag, micro RT, emag) and so I'm enjoying learning about the workings of a new [to me] marker. Also, for the record I have a thing for tinkering with old things (cars, knives, bikes, etc.) and making them work like new, so keep the "don't mess with it and buy a new _____" to a minimum please

The internals look mostly stock from photos I've compared them to online, though they have red anno so I'm not sure if I'm correct on that. The board reads Tadao 4.0 w/ the Muashi 3 upgrade, which I figured out after reading all of the Tadao manuals. There are no eyes and it's got a CP HP reg and I threw a crossfire 68/4500, new hoses, and an old Halo B that I had kicking around on it.

My question is, what upgrades would you guys recommend? What LPR is on it currently? I'm trying to pick up an Evolve delrin bolt off of the forums here as I've heard they can improve gas efficiency (moving less mass I guess?), and I'm trying to find a good price on a barrel kit of some sort. The gun cycles fine after lubing it up and replacing some o-rings, and after spending a few hours messing with trigger settings I can really rip with it without any bounce whatsoever.

Can anyone help a Matrix noob out? Thanks!

Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM #2
gwhetzler
Bazinga!

Thats an Aardvark LPR you have now.

And Welcome to the vintage matrix community.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 PM #3
gwhetzler
Bazinga!

http://www.pblegion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

BAM Read through the bottom two forums the History and the Tech Data ones and you will be good to go.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 PM #4
yorktronic

Thanks gwhetzler! This is a ton of info - excellent resource.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:21 PM #5
gwhetzler
Bazinga!

Yup no worries. After you wade through that let us know if you want opinions on parts of have any questions.

I know there is a lot there but it should be a fun read and will get you up to speed.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:22 PM #6
Scatlm
equilibrium

Welcome!

I'd only apply, " don't mess with it and buy a new _____" to the bolt's seals, if the marker is shooting w/o any leaks, then don't replace the o-rings (for no reason). Chances are they are broken-in, which will give you less drag --thus giving you an overall smoother pneumatic operation.

If you need better efficiency then look into the top-hat mod --scratch that tuner itch and improve your marker's efficiency all at once.

Finally, if you already got a Tadao board then all that's left to do is; to spend your money on some quality paint and enjoy it.

Cheers,

Eli

Last edited by Scatlm : 10-29-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 PM #7
Scatlm
equilibrium

BTW, that's very clean Matrix. I really like the Aardvark gator trigger and the Aardvark vollies (..and an Aardy trigger-frame? Niice.) Have you shot it yet? ..tt looks like you have your LPR turned in too much -- if you get any kind of kick try to back it out some.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 PM #8
MaToCa
www.FXAnodizing.com

has been a member for 10 years
MaToCa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Welcome!

The evolve bolt kit is a nice upgrade, kinda spendy with the delrin bolt, but its also a nice upgrade, but are prone to snapping. The SAM bolt is lighter, I already weighed and posted pics somewhere, but they are prone to break as well, just not like the Delrin. The Top hat mod is a simple DIY mod that helps and your set
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3998482
Anodizing
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3719499

War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 PM #9
yorktronic

Thanks, guys. I haven't put any paint through the gun, only dry fired it. Initially when I gassed it up, the gun wouldn't cycle at all. I was at Cutting Edge Paintball at the time and the tech there told me to strip it, clean off the old lube, and lube it up. I took it apart and lubed up everything, at which point the gun would cycle but was leaking out of the breech from around the bolt (not through the bolt). The tech pulled out his o-ring kit and we replaced several o-rings (front wall inner / outer, beer can, and top hat inner / outer), but the gun was still leaking from around the bolt. Stripped it, lubed it again... still leaking.

Having tried everything I could think of, being a novice, I simply turned up the LPR and then the gun started cycling fine. I just backed it off some but it's not much further out than it is in the photo above. The HPR says I'm putting 200 psi in to the gun, but idk what the Aardvark is set at. I'm going to try and put some paint through it this weekend and I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 PM #10
yorktronic

Edit: I just gave her some more lube and it cycles fine with the lpr backed off a bit - it's about twice as far out as it was before now. The bolt has a bit of resistance sliding back and forth through the front wall, so maybe that new o-ring needs to be broken in.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM #11
Scatlm
equilibrium

Great. And yes, they'll break in before you know it --then you'll be able to turn down the LPR even more --just shoot it.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 PM #12
gwhetzler
Bazinga!

Oh when tuning turn your LPR all the way in and then set your HPR to 280FPS or what ever you want. Then turn your LPR out till the FPS changes either up or down. Then turn your LPR back 1/4 turn and you will be good to go!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:37 PM #13
BonesJackson
Legendary

I'm surprised no one mentioned the .45 frame. The original owner loved that gun. He put everything on it. I'd be shocked if the bolt kit was stock.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM #14
Scatlm
equilibrium

I did mention it --I didn't notice at first though... I'm going component by component in my head; "Aardvark, Aardvark, Aardvark, Oh ****! Aardvark!"

..york, what color is the bolt-kit?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 PM #15
doesntplaywell
K1LL3R

Annual Supporting Member
"The internals look mostly stock from photos I've compared them to online, though they have red anno"
first sentence second paragraph
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 PM #16
gwhetzler
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatlm View Post
BTW, that's very clean Matrix. I really like the Aardvark gator trigger and the Aardvark vollies (..and an Aardy trigger-frame? Niice.) Have you shot it yet? ..tt looks like you have your LPR turned in too much -- if you get any kind of kick try to back it out some.
See your BFF did mention it. He just wasnt sure.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM #17
Scatlm
equilibrium

Hmmm... well, if its red then its an Aardvark red-kit in all likelihood. Can you imagine if he scored a SLAM, though? ..however unlikely.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 PM #18
Scatlm
equilibrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhetzler View Post
See your BFF did mention it. He just wasnt sure.
Oh Whetzler, you were actually doing really good until just now.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 PM #19
doesntplaywell
K1LL3R

Annual Supporting Member
so what's with the 45 frames...i think I scored one on a matrix I bought too ...had it sent home but in the pics it showed a 45 frame
Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 PM #20
gwhetzler
Bazinga!

Quote:
Hmmm... well, if its red then its an Aardvark red-kit in all likelihood. Can you imagine if he scored a SLAM, though? ..however unlikely.
Doubtfull but would be REALLY nice.

Quote:
Oh Whetzler, you were actually doing really good until just now.
What?! IIRC someone said you and bones are BFF's. It was in the VMOT. The last one.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 PM #21
gwhetzler
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntplaywell View Post
so what's with the 45 frames...i think I scored one on a matrix I bought too ...had it sent home but in the pics it showed a 45 frame
Nothing really its all personal prefrence. They do feel nice, but not all the boards fit in them. Well that and they were made by Aardvark. But all the DM frames are .45s except the Evolve 90's and such. The Aardvards are just slimmer.
Closed Thread