Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM #1
kgHapa

Question Help picking a barrel: Which of these should I get?

Hey guys, new player here and looking to upgrade an old spyder compact. At the moment I'm deciding between three barrels (friend is giving one to me) and each one seems to have a pro/con. Can I please get your input on what the best choice for my set up and play style is?

(Note:I tend to shoot slowly and favor accuracy over speed, I also live in Northern California where temperature is not overly cold or humid)

JT 2-piece Spyder 12in Barrel- . 688 bore, good reviews, but is it too short?

Spyder Evil PIPE 14in Big Bore 2pc Barrel - .692 bore, good reviews, but is the bore too big?

PMI Razzor 14in Barrel -.690 bore, right in the middle, but mixed reviews.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help and am excited to be getting into paintball!

Last edited by kgHapa : 10-29-2012 at 08:00 PM.
kgHapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM #2
bigd11287
Muscle Melter!

bigd11287 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bigd11287 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
bigd11287 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
.692 is going to be too large for the industry average bore size, and over boring that much will cause terrible efficiency and velocity spikes. I would recommend you get a .679-.684 bore in whatever length you feel is most comfortable.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 PM #3
kgHapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd11287 View Post
.692 is going to be too large for the industry average bore size, and over boring that much will cause terrible efficiency and velocity spikes. I would recommend you get a .679-.684 bore in whatever length you feel is most comfortable.
Thanks for the advice! Any other input?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 AM #4
wowzerz
Pump Karni King

wowzerz is attending Decay of Nations VI
I second what he said^^
wowzerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 AM #5
CA_Tectonics

I'm in the North Bay and I don't think I've used anything larger than a 0.686 in a long time. With our weather here and the size of paint these days, a 0.692 is far to big.

Now, having to pick out of the 3 you listed, it's a tough one but I'd go with the JT. It is still going to be too big (most of the time) and the 2" shorter than the others shouldn't be that much of a noticable difference.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 AM #6
kgHapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post
I'm in the North Bay and I don't think I've used anything larger than a 0.686 in a long time. With our weather here and the size of paint these days, a 0.692 is far to big.

Now, having to pick out of the 3 you listed, it's a tough one but I'd go with the JT. It is still going to be too big (most of the time) and the 2" shorter than the others shouldn't be that much of a noticable difference.
Awesome, thanks for this feedback.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:35 PM #7
kgHapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post

Between a .683 and .688 what would you recommend for NorCal playing?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 PM #8
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I have played around with this.

For speedball I play a 14" 0.684 bore barrel that is perfect bore size and length.

I also play a 21" hush barrel for woodsball that is great for quieting the marker. It's great for longer shots as I have an easy time aiming with the longer barrel the shots over 60' long.

I'm selling my Spyder barrels in the B/S/T area if interested. I've gone more speedball and went with another setup.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 PM #9
kgHapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
I have played around with this.

For speedball I play a 14" 0.684 bore barrel that is perfect bore size and length.

I also play a 21" hush barrel for woodsball that is great for quieting the marker. It's great for longer shots as I have an easy time aiming with the longer barrel the shots over 60' long.

I'm selling my Spyder barrels in the B/S/T area if interested. I've gone more speedball and went with another setup.
Awesome, thanks for the input. Do you have the URL for the thread? I'll definitely take a look =)
Old 10-31-2012, 02:11 AM #10
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgHapa View Post
Between a .683 and .688 what would you recommend for NorCal playing?
I agree with the statement above. A 0.684 is a good bore size for around here ( not to say that the larger ones are no good, they would just be less air efficient - assuming you have a Spider, air efficiency isn't going to be an issue for you.). As for length - 14" is the norm for speed/air ball. I personally use a 14" and rarely use the 16" that is in my barrel kit. Nothing wrong with 12" though if you are looking for something a little compact.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 AM #11
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D3 division
0.692 is definitely not too big. I shoot a 0.692 all the time. That includes tournament paint like Ultra Evil which is known to be small. An overbore is more accurate (less spin caused by touching the barrel). While a 0.692 is much larger than a standard overbore the only downside is decreased efficiency. It will be ver consistent over the chronograph. There is nothing wrong with that size. If your paint is always on the small side I would recommend a 0.688/0.689 for all occasions. As far as length 14" is the standard go to size. A size up or down is based on preference.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 PM #12
2BAD4U_73
AutoMag_SuperStar...

Over boring works well down here in Miami. The hot wheather tends to swell My balls, LOL. .693 & Up for Me please...
2BAD4U_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:15 PM #13
TeamBigShot (Banned)
WestCoastWings Inc.

^ Lolol!!!
TeamBigShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM #14
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BAD4U_73 View Post
Over boring works well down here in Miami. The hot wheather tends to swell My balls, LOL. .693 & Up for Me please...
You must buy some **** paint. I'm from Tampa and the paint doesn't swell a whole lot during the day.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:47 PM #15
bunkerking_13
SKNasty. Cole World.

bunkerking_13 supports Team VICIOUS
bunkerking_13 posts videos on PbNation
bunkerking_13 is Legendary
bunkerking_13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx18 View Post
0.692 is definitely not too big. I shoot a 0.692 all the time. That includes tournament paint like Ultra Evil which is known to be small. An overbore is more accurate (less spin caused by touching the barrel). While a 0.692 is much larger than a standard overbore the only downside is decreased efficiency. It will be ver consistent over the chronograph. There is nothing wrong with that size. If your paint is always on the small side I would recommend a 0.688/0.689 for all occasions. As far as length 14" is the standard go to size. A size up or down is based on preference.
Thats not always the case. Many guns actually need to be underbored in order to shoot efficiently and consistent. Like The Axe/Mini for example. Also, the fact that the ball isnt decently snug while it is flung out the barrel, gives the opportunity for a break.
bunkerking_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM #16
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerking_13 View Post
Thats not always the case. Many guns actually need to be underbored in order to shoot efficiently and consistent. Like The Axe/Mini for example. Also, the fact that the ball isnt decently snug while it is flung out the barrel, gives the opportunity for a break.

Why would a mini or axe need an underbore?

And no the ball not being "decently snug" does not give "the oppurtunity for a break". Bernoullis principle. The ball will center itself upon acceleration and will not bounce down the barrel.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM #17
Mr.Dirt

Mr.Dirt is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I've ran a .689 and .693 on my shocker and never noticed the difference(Lucky Un1tec's) and always just ran the .693 on the sft, and the .689 on my backup cocker regardless of paint. Get the razor, they look the sweetest and you probably wouldn't noticed a difference in how each one shot anyway.

WTB MQ Valve Urethane dot's

Last edited by Mr.Dirt : 01-11-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Mr.Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM #18
t0ph3r89
DPF

t0ph3r89 supports DLX Technology
The OP started this thread in October, I think he already made a decision.
t0ph3r89 is offline   Reply With Quote