Community Focus

Old 10-28-2012, 03:03 PM #1
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Should I buy a broken Mini to fix and resell?

I see a couple of mini's that are under $100 that are broken. I have o-ring kits and parts kit that should have everything but a cellanoid (spelling??).

I'm thnking that I sould rebuld a broken one, learn a thing or two about rebuilds, and perhaps sell for a $50 gain (maybe less depending on parts).

I'm just trying to make a little money to buy paintballs and field fees (maybe tournament costs but I'm not that good).

Anyone try this on the side and did it work (in a limited form)?

Anything that is a MAJOR repair to avoid?

What about painting a mini? I found two that are stripped in color and wasn't sure to just polish them IF I tried to fix them.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 PM #2
Pson

Pson has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Pson has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
There is a reason they are selling it. I would just upgrade the mini you have with an on/off Asa and upgrade the orings.
Pson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 PM #3
Starks

It won't be worth it. You can always try it out and see how it goes, if you're willing to make the investment, because it definitely works out in your favor on paper. I think you're better off finding another source of income. Rake leaves and shovel driveways.
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:16 PM #4
JoshC90

JoshC90 supports Team VICIOUS
Naw, put your time into something else profitable

Texas Storm G6R - Ripper Victory - DM9
Support American Made
JoshC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM #5
ashep01

ashep01 supports Team VICIOUS
ashep01 is for the Gunfight
ashep01 plays in the APPA D4 division
ashep01 supports DLX Technology
I think incognito-z does something like that on here. you should talk to him.
ashep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 PM #6
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

I'm not looking for a side job, but paintball as a hobby is more expensive to play every week. On a low side it's $60 a time playing. To play a larger scernario, It looks like $100+ is common.

I like expensive sports; In order to supplament my golf budget, I started last year building and selling clubs. Golf clubs only make $10-$40 tops for a Driver, and a round runs $20-$100 (close to paintball). However I'm thinking that if I can polish what I know; like I know how to build clubs, I can make my hobby some what functional.

However paintball might be like skiing, another sport I enjoy. You can only own gear, there isn't too much in the sport you can do (other than instruction and I'm not that good) to earn money. Does anyone think Paintball is more in this catagory?

I guess you can do this as a service, however I see that there are a couple guys that buy mini's to resell and fix on here. I don't think it's going to be a job but more of buy one, fix, and sell for $30-$50 profit to buy a case of paint.

I guess another thing to consider is, does paintball have a "down time" where manufactures drop prices to sell stuff in the off season or holidays where Mini's sells for $150 or $200 brand new?

Guess I have to see how much of a supply is there for mini's under $100 that can be reasonabily fixed. I think one project marker at a time *might* be doable, however I'm going to have to do more research. My local field has some kids that don't know what they have, or don't treat their markers right. I'm thinking that some markers might be available, and there are a couple of mini's out there.

Last edited by Christian P : 10-28-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM #7
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
I'm not looking for a side job, but paintball as a hobby is more expensive to play every week. On a low side it's $60 a time playing. To play a larger scernario, It looks like $100+ is common.

I like expensive sports; In order to supplament my golf budget, I started last year building and selling clubs. Golf clubs only make $10-$40 tops for a Driver, and a round runs $20-$100 (close to paintball). However I'm thinking that if I can polish what I know; like I know how to build clubs, I can make my hobby some what functional.

However paintball might be like skiing, another sport I enjoy. You can only own gear, there isn't too much in the sport you can do (other than instruction and I'm not that good) to earn money. Does anyone think Paintball is more in this catagory?
Yes, if you ref one or two weekends, you can get credit for paint/product/cash easier then you would flippin a gun. Something you need to talk to with your local field. My field, refs get discounts on paint and entry to the smaller scenario's free, or cash in hand.

Quote:
I guess another thing to consider is, does paintball have a "down time" where manufactures drop prices to sell stuff in the off season or holidays where Mini's sells for $150 or $200 brand new?
Not really, since most of the companys usually release all their new gear around this time @ World Cup, unless your at Cup, then you won't get any deals. They may knock 100.00 off their last years line-up, but thats about it.
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:07 PM #8
incognito-z
Buying All Invert Mini's

incognito-z is playing at Living Legends VII
incognito-z owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
incognito-z is for the Gunfight
incognito-z posts videos on PbNation
incognito-z supports Pev's Paintball
incognito-z is Legendary
incognito-z supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashep01 View Post
I think incognito-z does something like that on here. you should talk to him.
That would be true. I've always found that prices drop down over the winter months and people start buying guns again around Christmas (duh) or right before summer starts.

EDIT: Wait, paintball and golf? Ha, like I could afford that.

If you're having trouble with your Mini/Axe, PM me! I'm more than happy to help out.
Proud Beta-Tester and Authorized Retailer for Nummech - Proudly Sponsored by Guerilla Air - Hustle PB

Last edited by incognito-z : 10-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.
incognito-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:20 PM #9
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NA]WARLORD View Post
Yes, if you ref one or two weekends, you can get credit for paint/product/cash easier then you would flippin a gun. Something you need to talk to with your local field. My field, refs get discounts on paint and entry to the smaller scenario's free, or cash in hand.
This might be the best advice so far. However I hate "working" on a Saturday since I work 50+ hours at my day job. Maybe one weekend a month for free field passes.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:59 AM #10
Craceyballa
Pro Edge Paintball

Craceyballa plays in the PSP
Craceyballa plays in the APPA D4 division
Craceyballa has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
this is buissness 101. You have to figure out for YOURSELF, first if there is enough demand for the product(minis your fixing), second if you can get the broken product at a low enough bottom end price so there is enough room for profit, because if your only making 20-30 a gun, its not worth it.
say you get a mini for 100, put 3 orings and a new board in it, shoot a bag of paint to make sure it works properly and then your time, which is worth a min of 7.50 a hour. all said in done, you would have roughly 60-70 bucks in it, on top of the 100, and you would have to sell it for 200 tto move it quickly so you would make 30 bucks. not worth your time. And before you do any of this you have to have capital to buy the broken guns, and your allready short on cash so why tie up money in broken guns?
Craceyballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM #11
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
If you find a dirt cheap 'broken' marker that needs a $0.02 o-ring, then yes you can make a decent profit. But that's pretty rare to find. I'd say about 50% of the time where it did only need a 2 cent o-ring, the previous owner caused $100 in damage attempting to 'fix' it.

If you want to try it as a hobby, that's fine. But don't expect to make much money off it. Especially with Minis.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 AM #12
7ezekiel7
Paintball is LIFE!

Annual Supporting Member
7ezekiel7 supports Team VICIOUS
I have been buying and selling guns for over a year now. I find it a fun hobby that more than pays for my paint and gear. It has even helped me pay the mortgage. I will take a min of 50 profit. Have made up to 500 profit. Although that doesn't happen often. I wouldn't waste my time on a mini unless it was dirt cheap. Another thing you can do is sell it for gear and cash. You can get a lot more out of it that way. For example if you selling a gun for 200. Accept an offer of 150 plus gear to equal another 100. Then sell that extra gear also. Either way it does require a lot of time but I'm lucky I can do most of the buying and selling while at work . Either way good luck!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:53 AM #13
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Thanks Speedy and Baller. I think it's going to be a case by case situation and more of a hobby.

I already have a full time well paying job. However I'm into making money and I might have over estimated the market place for this. It might just be that I need to get proficent at ALL marker repair and not just focus on mini's.

Any classes or "schools" that marker manufactures go to?

I see Kee markers are made in southeast Asia so it's not like you can go to the plant where they are made to learn something.

Last edited by Christian P : 10-29-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM #14
fox5100

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
fox5100 plays in the PSP
fox5100 supports Cereal Killerz 2
fox5100 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
fox5100 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Its hard to make money on any hobby, if you enjoy fixing guns and you have the free time then see how it goes. Putting money into a mini isnt going to break the bank if it doesnt workout. If your looking to make money you would have better luck getting a second job.
Team Method #16
Owner of Paintball Event Calendar.com
http://www.paintballec.com
http://www.paintballeventcalendar.com
fox5100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:46 PM #15
incognito-z
Buying All Invert Mini's

incognito-z is playing at Living Legends VII
incognito-z owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
incognito-z is for the Gunfight
incognito-z posts videos on PbNation
incognito-z supports Pev's Paintball
incognito-z is Legendary
incognito-z supports DLX Technology
Quote:

Any classes or "schools" that marker manufactures go to?
I've checked into this... they're only available for people who own shops.

If you're having trouble with your Mini/Axe, PM me! I'm more than happy to help out.
Proud Beta-Tester and Authorized Retailer for Nummech - Proudly Sponsored by Guerilla Air - Hustle PB
incognito-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:24 PM #16
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
The mini is too low end to make any money. Even old high end markers lose their value so quick its hard to make a profit unless you have a special talent like rebuilding/ rewinding solenoids, etc. Have fun working on your markers, and maybe get a couple bucks from your friends to lazy to clean and lube their own markers. Manuals are easy to find online and most grease is universal ( bob long excluded ) and oil too. Check the manuals free online for types. Collect markers end of day lube and clean them and return to happy customer. I think you might be able to make a few $ doing this start small with a few common types. Looks like mini and axe are a good starting point.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 PM #17
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

I've given up making this a side business. Instead I'm trying to help out kids who need help with leaks at my field. I'm learning alot and have figured out how to get my costs down by buying paint online.

Field costs are something I just pay. It supports my field to keep in business and if I don't pay enough, then there won't be a field to play. It's going to cost $35-$70 to play no matter what. It's a cost to play the game.

If anyone has any issue with a mini, I have taken them apart and put it back together several times and have solved several air leaks and firing issues. Most work I've done is on V2's and V3's but I've learned the difference between all three.