Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 PM #1
rebelpebbles

Unhappy Demon regulator o-ring issue

I posted this up in another Vanguard forum elsewhere, one of the UK techs had a look, but the only advice was to try a 15x2 o-ring from a Creed which I don't have access to. I've looked around but haven't noticed anything like this problem and it's starting to get very, very frustrating.

There's a 017 o-ring on the velocity adjustment housing that keeps being blown partially out of its groove by the air coming into the marker. And the result is air venting out of the reg housing.

Originally it was fine, but this is now a regular occurrence. I stripped the marker down yesterday, cleaned and regreased it, working fine for about 5-10 minutes in the firing range. Put it back in the box, brought it out today at a walkon, o-ing blew in a matter of seconds. Regreased it again, still blown off.

I've changed the o-ring multiple times. The 017 is a little loose, so I've tried an 016 o-ring, which ended up being blown right out of the groove, worse than the 017. Plenty of grease, less grease. This is a regular issue. I can't rely on this marker at all. I've been standing at bunkers trading paint with people and had it blow. I've actually held off making moves because I know if it goes, my position is blown and I'm screwed.

Has anybody come across this problem?
rebelpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 PM #2
jason_vanguard
Valveflow Ltd

jason_vanguard works for a Paintball manufacturer
jason_vanguard is for the Gunfight
jason_vanguard is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelpebbles
I posted this up in another Vanguard forum elsewhere, one of the UK techs had a look, but the only advice was to try a 15x2 o-ring from a Creed which I don't have access to. I've looked around but haven't noticed anything like this problem and it's starting to get very, very frustrating.

There's a 017 o-ring on the velocity adjustment housing that keeps being blown partially out of its groove by the air coming into the marker. And the result is air venting out of the reg housing.

Originally it was fine, but this is now a regular occurrence. I stripped the marker down yesterday, cleaned and regreased it, working fine for about 5-10 minutes in the firing range. Put it back in the box, brought it out today at a walkon, o-ing blew in a matter of seconds. Regreased it again, still blown off.

I've changed the o-ring multiple times. The 017 is a little loose, so I've tried an 016 o-ring, which ended up being blown right out of the groove, worse than the 017. Plenty of grease, less grease. This is a regular issue. I can't rely on this marker at all. I've been standing at bunkers trading paint with people and had it blow. I've actually held off making moves because I know if it goes, my position is blown and I'm screwed.

Has anybody come across this problem?
Very unusual,
Were are you in the uk? I would like to take a look at your reg to see where the issue is, does the housing screw firmly to the bottom of the marker ?

jason_vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 AM #3
rebelpebbles

Hi Jason, thanks for replying!

I live in Scotland. The housing screws into the reg without issue and it's definitely snug. There's no noticeable difference between how it is now and how it was when it was working.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 PM #4
rebelpebbles

Anybody else have an idea for a solution to this problem? I'm going to be needing a working marker in the next couple of weeks :/
Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 PM #5
Reaper (ACI)
We're Weird

Reaper (ACI) works for a Paintball manufacturer
Reaper (ACI) donated to help Peyton Trent
Reaper (ACI) is for the Gunfight
Have you considered sending it to Jason to have him fix it?
www.deadboxsports.com

I have LEGO Paintballer Mini Figs
Reaper (ACI) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 AM #6
rebelpebbles

Well the issue I have is that this marker is a second hand one. I was told that the warranty was transferrable then literally days later Vanguard went dark and Frank bought them over. I think the situation I'm in now is that my warranty wont be transferrable.

It was a team spare for one of the UK's Vanguard teams. I'm fairly sure it came via one of their techs. The original marker I was due to buy had some kind of issue with the back cap and the tech didn't want to send it out as he wasn't happy with it, so he suggested that the seller send this one instead.

I'm unsure as to whether this marker came directly from the tech, but my belief is that he'd looked over it prior to sending it. The marker did come with a busted solenoid (though handily he threw in a spares kit with a new solenoid in it) and numerous other problems.

I'm not particularly happy at the thought of having to pay for the repair of something that really shouldn't be happening. I guess I've no choice but to send it in. I was really hoping for some kind of solution that would let me keep playing for now. The only other concern is that I've seen a few "Vanguard lost my marker" threads, and that's not exactly filling me full of hope.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 PM #7
Reaper (ACI)
We're Weird

Reaper (ACI) works for a Paintball manufacturer
Reaper (ACI) donated to help Peyton Trent
Okay, here's the deal. The warranty has never been transferable, even before Frank took over. Anybody who told you that was uninformed or lying. The warranty is posted on www.vanguardpaintball.com in the form that it has been in since it was created. That's part of the reason it's a good idea to buy new. This is a common practice amongst all manufacturers and is no unique to Vanguard.

In regards to "Vanguard lost my marker." Yes, that happened a few time around the time the company was changing hands. Each if them has been resolved though probably not to the satisfaction of the customer which is very disappointing in my mind. However, that has not happened since the change has finalized.

I'm sorry you feel it's unfair for you to pay, but it's realistic in the industry as well as most others that a second hand product is not covered.

I'd send it in and get it working so you can enjoy it.
www.deadboxsports.com

I have LEGO Paintballer Mini Figs
Reaper (ACI) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 PM #8
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
The only quick solution I can see is to try a harder oring of the same size. Something less likely to deform. Check inside the reg for any burrs that may be slicing the oring you have. The only reason I can see a piston oring blowing out is if the parts are not machined to the proper size, something is cutting them, or the regulator seat oring isn't sealing causing a pressure increase.

If you put an oring on the piston and put it in the reg, does it fit fairly snug? Or is it loose?

ETEK 3LT, with 14" critical .680 barrel and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Last edited by MstrKey : 11-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 AM #9
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
I think I know the tech you are talking about reblepebbles - he has a very good relationship with Jason and Martin and they often agree to transfer the warranty across. I know when I bought mine off of Paul Garry, Jason said he'd honour the 12mo warranty on it (it was new, mind).

What event are you going to? At most tourneys and Scenario games there is usually Paul Tye or Paul Bailey there, who are certified techs.

Markers: Bob Long Insight, MVP, 2012 G6R and VCOM

Clubs: Marq Clan | Insight Owners Group
WildWayz is offline   Reply With Quote