PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM #1
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots

Annual Supporting Member
The Other Athlete Ano Review. 2 Markers ano'd

11/29/12 Update: A complaint has been filed with the BBB. Since May I have been trying to reach resolution, but they still refuse.

AN UPDATE. I HAVE PURPOSED A MORE THAN FAIR SOLUTION TO MICHAEL OF THE OTHER ATHLETE TO MAKE THIS REVIEW GO AWAY ALONG WITH ALL OF MY NEGATIVE COMMENTS, THOUGHTS, ETC. IT RESTS SOULY ON HIM NOW. I AM NOT BEING UNREASONABLE. JUST FAIR.

Thanks to the user Shockwave for the template.

Today I am writing up a thorough review of my experiences with The Other Athlete as an ano company. They recently did two markers for me.

MY BACKGROUND
I have been in the game for going on 12 years now. This includes working in the industry as well. Was head tech at 2 different pro shops for a number of years along with working retail in paintball as well. So I like to think I have a firm roots in the game and can give a fair, unbiased opinion. I have had about 10 markers ano'd over the years so I do know what to watch for.

Gun 1: Angel A1 Fly SB
Parts: Full marker. 17 pieces
Services Requested: 2 color ano, Clear with a blue splash starting at each end and being gone by the middle. No finish change
Quoted Price: $175

Gun 2: Angel A1 Fly SB
Parts: Large portion of the marker. 8 Pieces
Services Requested: 1 color ano, Clear, finish changed to dust.
Quoted Price:$150

SHIPMENT
All parts were wrapped in paper. Padded around each other. Larger pieces got bubble wrapped for protection. Smaller parts were wrapped and placed in zip-locks to prevent lose. Each marker was then sealed in its own bag and that bag bubble wrapped to keep the 2 markers separate for ease of identity. Box was sealed. No noise when shaken. Sent Priority/insured. Was received by them 2 days later.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
Through out the process I was in touch with Michael at Other Athlete. I initially went thru the quote process via PM here on nation and we reached a price. He asked very specific questions to make sure everything was as I planned. I was impressed by this until it got to shipping time when there was a mute in communication and PM's stopped being answered for about 2 weeks. At which point he got back to me with a pm to notify me he was out of town. I was then given his email address and decided to keep it to emails from then on. I was hesitant to continue working with them after that lapse, but we talked it out.

Time of shipping came and I mentioned to him I had one part that was a potential issue. The trigger being sent with the full marker had it's inset bearings and a leaf attached to the back of it. I said, if it cannot be pulled apart and reassembled don't bother, and just send it back. I had a feeling it wasn't possible but who knows you learn something every day.

So the markers went out, and got to them about 2 days later. I was quoted about a 2 week turn around due to the one marker needing the parts bead blasted for the dust finish. That worked for me. So about a day before the end of week 2 I sent an email hoping for a status update and was told it is in progress. About 2 days later I got an email with a tracking number. After checking the tracking number two days later, it still hadn't been picked up by the post office. Sent an email off and sure enough the tracking changed that evening. All around by the end of it it took 3 weeks turn around. Not bad considering some of the places I have dealt with.

After receiving the package I had a hand full of issues that I directly let Michael know about via email, but was faced with a lack of responses and me having to follow up. After waiting 2 business days in between, I'd have to send a follow up to the follow up. wasn't too thrilled about this.

FINISHING
When the package did arrive, I was very disappointed. Picking up the box just yielded the sound of clashing and rattling metal. This was not a good feeling. When I opened the box I was greeted with a ziplock bag full of parts wrapped in a thin layer of tissue paper, wedged between 2 walls the air pocket packing material. I was pretty irritated by this. But the parts were ok. A few little knicks and scratches but no major dings I couldn't live with.

Prior to the parts getting to me, I was warned that I may be receiving someone else's parts along with mine and if that was the case, that I would just have to send them back on their dime. No sweat. Just had me worried about getting my parts back as some of them were small. Needless to say I got everything back, and no extras so it worked out. After doing the inventory, I got to the trigger that was going to be a potential issue. The "tech" got it apart alright... But couldn't get it back together apparently. I got the pivoting rod and one ok bearing and one thrashed bearing back, but no activation leaf that was going to be the issue like I stated. Well here I am with a useless trigger. (I did contact them and they we did work it out. I will explain below)

Again this was 2 markers, and most of the issues were with the splash job. The dust white finish was fine, sans a few hairline scratches from poor packing.

Having only seen a pic of one of the markers incomplete that I got emailed to me, i didn't really have a clue what was coming my way. So I did a once over and found a hand full of issues other then the trigger. One was the masking fluid left over on the splashed marker. There were a number of spots that had it caked on still. So I addressed this and was told to try acetone and the like to get the masking off(which I shouldn't have to do in the first place). So after doing that, a number of them came off but a few still exist, and I can't quite bring myself to take a razor to fresh finish. Living with it and maybe time will have its way. This pic is one that I sent via email:

My next issue was that nothing lined up in the splash. On a quality job the extra time is taken to make sure the pieces line up together. This one did not. Livable, but still not 100% pleased. Also, instead of continuing the splash on the barrel back, or stopping it on just the tip, it ends abruptly when the back starts. Seen here for example with the noid cover and the body and frame:

I also ran into a few pieces not being of the same tonality, but can attribute that to different material make up. Haven't come across it before, but thats what I was told was the issue. Note how the body plug is a different tone:

The last big issue was with the barrel. With how it was hung for the baths, it's interior was gnarled pretty bad. It is just enough to cause paint to break. Running it side by side by side with another barrel in the same bore, this one does have an issue due to the new edges in it. I will probably end up sanding down the edges so it can be used, and maybe have it re-honed, but this issue was just sort of ignored when I mentioned it and never saw resolution.

As for the trigger, It was useless due to the leaf being snapped off and now missing entirely, along with the trashed bearing. I was given a refund for the balance of the trigger and the cost of ano'ing the part($75). But this is where the issues lay that did get resolved. I'm running an aftermarket barrel due to the other issue but again it was ignored.

RATINGS
Overall, I would rate The Other Athlete as follows:
Customer Service - 2/10
The communication gaps were irritating and needed work. Along with issue resolution or lack there of. Also an unnecessary agressive tone. Don't try and blame your mistakes on me.

Return Packaging - 2/10
Re-using a box and poor packing was just sad.

Turnaround Time - 8/10
About a week misquoted, not bad.

Finish - 7/10
Pretty great sans the number of issues. It should never be the customers job to remove masking. The trigger I was compensated for, but I'm still out a barrel due to what I'm guessing was a poor hanging job.

Color Match N/A
There was no color matching to the job sans the job itself, and most of the pieces match one another.

Overall: 4/10.
Would I use them again. Probably not. For a simple job yes, nothing too complicated. One color jobs, sure. Won't be doing a barrel or trigger again.

And last but not least a final assembled shot of both markers, the one with the replacement trigger I initially shelled out for. I will post updated pics of the splash if I can get more of the masking off, along with the barrel I do run on it.

Any questions, feel free to PM me or post up.

Last edited by greatwolf329 : 11-29-2012 at 08:28 AM.
greatwolf329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM #2
Kil187
Ocean View's Finest

Kil187 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Kil187 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kil187 supports DLX Technology
Great review, thanks for the info.

edit: you have a really little thumbnail

Last edited by Kil187 : 07-03-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Kil187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 AM #3
Shooter28
PEACE

Shooter28 plays in the PSP
Shooter28 plays in the APPA D3 division
Shooter28 supports DLX Technology
Shooter28 supports Empire
Thank you for the review.
ΞΞ

R.I.P. Rob Kerr 2/1/91 - 3/15/10 & {HSP}
Gun Sale Thread | SHOCKER PARTS!!! | My gun collection | D00M.
Shooter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 AM #4
mas11j

mas11j plays in the PSP
im planning on getting a complex anodizing job, who would you use? ive benn turned down by a lot of places because of the blood splash i want
mas11j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:02 AM #5
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots

Annual Supporting Member
I'm not saying don't use them. Maybe I just caught them on a bad week. But in terms of preference, I don't have a go to place that hasn't gone down in the ****ter or closed up shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kil187 View Post
Great review, thanks for the info.

edit: you have a really little thumbnail
Yep. Broken that thumb more times then I can count so it is quite screwy.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:55 PM #6
FiveToGo

FiveToGo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Thanks for your review. Good to see people take the time to inform others, whether negative or positive.
FiveToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:25 AM #7
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveToGo View Post
Thanks for your review. Good to see people take the time to inform others, whether negative or positive.
You're welcome. Maybe if they had (they still have the opportunity) helped me out a bit more on the issues I'd have been more forgiving but I'm not going to lie to people about this stuff.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:57 PM #8
crowntheking

Annual Supporting Member
crowntheking plays in the PSP
crowntheking is playing at Living Legends V
crowntheking is playing at Living Legends VI
crowntheking supports Team VICIOUS
crowntheking is Legendary
crowntheking supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas11j
im planning on getting a complex anodizing job, who would you use? ive benn turned down by a lot of places because of the blood splash i want
Fx
crowntheking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 PM #9
Ryan10
Father of 3

OMG dude! Ungh. I feel your pain! This why I'm scared to have anything annodized. The horror stories I hear. Being banged up, crappy communication, poor packaging, not matched up right. I'm sorry it didn't go flawlessly. Damn, damn, damn....
Ryan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 PM #10
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots

Annual Supporting Member
Update: Contacted them attempting to get the barrel issue worked out. Doesn't look like that is going to happen. They are requesting I send it back on my dime so they can 'fix' it. When I asked what the solution was they were going to attempt, I never got an answer after repetitively asking the question.

Looks like I'll just shell out for freak boring or something after I work out a paypal claim.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 PM #11
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
FoidPoosening donated to help Peyton Trent
FoidPoosening is playing at Living Legends VI
FoidPoosening supports Bob Gurnsey
FoidPoosening supports our troops
FoidPoosening has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
FoidPoosening is Legendary
FoidPoosening is Boss
So PbN Autotrader's anno services don't turn out so good?

And FX for complex anno jobs, but I know he is overbooked on work right now.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:16 PM #12
Spyderdome
Resurgence

has been a member for 10 years
Spyderdome owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Spyderdome owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Spyderdome owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Spyderdome is Legendary
Spyderdome is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntheking View Post
Fx
That's all my mind could think of the whole time I was reading this review.

Thanks for the review!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 AM #13
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots

Annual Supporting Member
Yep. FX will be who I am trying out next. Though I'm sure after reading this review they may not want me as a customer being brutally honest. But They may also rise to the challenge as well. Now it's just a matter of what I want to have ano'd. What do you say FX?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 AM #14
deadbywinter
Death Before Dishonor

deadbywinter owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
deadbywinter owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
deadbywinter plays in the APPA D5 division
deadbywinter has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I had am amazing experience with them from start to finish. there's always 2 sides to a story. Its easy to say how "bad" a company is and put them down. If their work is so bad and their communication "sucks", but maybe someone just had a bad experience or is over exaggerating how things really were. I'm not saying you don't have the right to post a review, but he must be doing something right to get all the businesses he does. Personally I've never had a company do 1/2 as much for me as mike did. his anno work is outstanding. he kept me up to date the whole time until the gun arrived at my door. He even took pictures and sent them to me showing me where things were at when I asked. I would highly recommend the other athlete for custom work

Last edited by deadbywinter : 07-14-2012 at 11:17 AM.
deadbywinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:37 PM #15
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots

Annual Supporting Member
And I had the exact opposite experience. Who knows. Maybe he had a **** few weeks. But the fact the communication and such still blows speaks wonders on my end. Glad you had a good experience. I am simply voicing mine.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM #16
dirtyrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf329 View Post
And I had the exact opposite experience. Who knows. Maybe he had a **** few weeks. But the fact the communication and such still blows speaks wonders on my end. Glad you had a good experience. I am simply voicing mine.
fact that they sent you your barrel in that condition, mind boggling. horrible.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 PM #17
Shockwave

Shockwave is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbywinter View Post
Its easy to say how "bad" a company is and put them down. If their work is so bad and their communication "sucks", but maybe someone just had a bad experience or is over exaggerating how things really were.
I don't mean to start an argument - I haven't had any direct experience with The Other Athlete, but in many cases, in terms of judging a service, you need to look at the lowest denominator.

Yes, you may have had a fantastic experience, but that isn't representative of ALL of his work. Neither is a bad experience being representative of ALL of his work as either.

However, think about - Would you want to go see a doctor that "usually" does a good job? No, you'd want to see a doctor that does a good job every time, or if in the case of a mistake, address it immediately.

The fact that the barrel issue isn't being resolved is a bit concerning. If this wasn't a barrel, and maybe the internals of a DM12, the customer could be out a TON of money.

I think the purpose of the review is to let people know of the POSSIBILITY of getting poor service and quality - That is THE story, there isn't two sides. It doesn't matter if your doctor or anodizer feels sick or had a bad week, it doesn't excuse poor service or quality without resolution.

I know that a lot of the individuals who get into anodizing do it as a hobby, put out fantastic work, then get the idea of turning it into a business. Soon after, they get in over their head and quality or turnaround times suffer. This is a reality, and one of the reasons why I am looking to more commercial/industrial anodizers in the future - they have the workflow and pure volume to be able to not get overloaded.

Lastly - If you feel that strongly that The Other Athlete should be recognized for quality work - write a detailed review! I'm not challenging you - I just think that the forum could greatly benefit from sharing of knowledge other than just "agg pics of dope splashes". I did a good bit of legwork in coming up with a review template, and was delighted to see it being used by others - go for it and share your experiences as well.

Check the join date.

Last edited by Shockwave : 07-14-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM #18
tniz

tniz owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
tniz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tniz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tniz plays in the APPA D4 division
Does he do his own ano work or is outsourced? To me that is the true question.

Do you have a custom milled '06 Pevs EGO with a Gruntbull Urban Digi-Camo Ano???
Do you know anyone with a custom milled '06 Pevs EGO with a Gruntbull Urban Digi-Camo Ano???
If so, PM me, would like to buy it back
tniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 PM #19
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots

Annual Supporting Member
They kept referring to another shop/partner that was nameless thru the whole process so I'm guessing outsourced. That was one of the excuses for lack of answers to everything.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:20 AM #20
tniz

tniz owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
tniz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tniz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tniz plays in the APPA D4 division
Thank you, that's what I thought.

Do you have a custom milled '06 Pevs EGO with a Gruntbull Urban Digi-Camo Ano???
Do you know anyone with a custom milled '06 Pevs EGO with a Gruntbull Urban Digi-Camo Ano???
If so, PM me, would like to buy it back
tniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM #21
PbN_AutoTrader
Your PERSONAL Proshop

Annual Supporting Member
PbN_AutoTrader is BST Legit
PbN_AutoTrader donated to help Peyton Trent
PbN_AutoTrader supports Bob Gurnsey
PbN_AutoTrader supports our troops
PbN_AutoTrader is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
PbN_AutoTrader is Legendary
PbN_AutoTrader supports DLX Technology
This "review" is a bit bias and over board to say the least. I love how only one view point is being given.

If you were so disappointed why didn't you say so right away and ask for the job to be done again (which we would have done)
Instead you go post a completely bias negative review, and then want me to do something? After being compensated extra and receiving a discount....seriously?

Anytime I've ever had even the smallest of issues I've gone out my way to make things right if not more than right.

Makes you wonder if there are ulterior motives..

You were always responded to very promptly and there was not a 2 week gap, even if there somehow was, my personal phone number is all over, is it not?
If anything was deathly important you could have dialed (or even texted) those 10 digits.. They're in my signature and all over every single post..

I am one of, if not the most accessible people on this site / in the industry.

I recall one time you got snappy because you sent a message on a Sunday night and it wasn't responded to right away....... Sorry I don't have someone waiting to respond to your every email 24/7..... You did have a response that night though. All other messages were responded to in a timely manner. You're not the only person that inquires about paintball related things.....

You're the only person out of over 200 + Anodizing jobs to somehow receive "scratched barrel bores".
When asked to send them back so that they can be inspected to see what can be done to fix them you refuse. So what would you like me to do?
We can not fix it if you don't send it back to even be inspected / looked at.

Again we've done over 200+ anodizing jobs and never once had an issue with barrel bores.

In regard to the angel trigger, the only way to find out is to attempt to take it apart.....
You were told that it was possible the trigger would get broken and we even compensated you EXTRA for the trigger (was given $75 for a $50 trigger).
So I don't see what the issue is

Parts are indeed subject to potentially having a different "tone".
Take any gun on the market, I can find ones that are factory anodized or custom anodized and that can have a varying "tone" between pieces. It can happen.

As far as lines matching up perfectly on every single piece, again you sent a box of pieces and said you wanted splash.
You did not say specifically you wanted the lines to perfectly match as best as possible. Nor were any screws included with your marker either.
Even if you would have requested that, there is no guarantee, the gun is not anodized in one complete piece. It is anodized in pieces.... The pieces may "line up" when the gun is assembled however when anodized they are in individual pieces and laying down.......

In regard to the barrel ; you stated you wanted the job to be like an ego11 we did. The ego11 we did did not have any splash on the barrel bore......... Sounds like you yourself didn't even know what you wanted

See no splash on barrel bore

What's wrong with using the same box the parts came in......... Seriously? wow
You never mentioned anything to me about packaging.
Just seems like over kill nit picking to be honest.

You're so unhappy yet 5 other customers before and after you gave nothing but high marks on their markers/parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbywinter View Post
I had am amazing experience with them from start to finish. there's always 2 sides to a story. Its easy to say how "bad" a company is and put them down. If their work is so bad and their communication "sucks", but maybe someone just had a bad experience or is over exaggerating how things really were. I'm not saying you don't have the right to post a review, but he must be doing something right to get all the businesses he does. Personally I've never had a company do 1/2 as much for me as mike did. his anno work is outstanding. he kept me up to date the whole time until the gun arrived at my door. He even took pictures and sent them to me showing me where things were at when I asked. I would highly recommend the other athlete for custom work
Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
I don't mean to start an argument - I haven't had any direct experience with The Other Athlete, but in many cases, in terms of judging a service, you need to look at the lowest denominator.

Yes, you may have had a fantastic experience, but that isn't representative of ALL of his work. Neither is a bad experience being representative of ALL of his work as either.

However, think about - Would you want to go see a doctor that "usually" does a good job? No, you'd want to see a doctor that does a good job every time, or if in the case of a mistake, address it immediately.

The fact that the barrel issue isn't being resolved is a bit concerning. If this wasn't a barrel, and maybe the internals of a DM12, the customer could be out a TON of money.

I think the purpose of the review is to let people know of the POSSIBILITY of getting poor service and quality - That is THE story, there isn't two sides. It doesn't matter if your doctor or anodizer feels sick or had a bad week, it doesn't excuse poor service or quality without resolution.

I know that a lot of the individuals who get into anodizing do it as a hobby, put out fantastic work, then get the idea of turning it into a business. Soon after, they get in over their head and quality or turnaround times suffer. This is a reality, and one of the reasons why I am looking to more commercial/industrial anodizers in the future - they have the workflow and pure volume to be able to not get overloaded.

Lastly - If you feel that strongly that The Other Athlete should be recognized for quality work - write a detailed review! I'm not challenging you - I just think that the forum could greatly benefit from sharing of knowledge other than just "agg pics of dope splashes". I did a good bit of legwork in coming up with a review template, and was delighted to see it being used by others - go for it and share your experiences as well.

Lol wow are you serious?
There aren't 2 sides.
Man you don't even know the half of it. Sounds like instigating to me.

You say "a good experience isn't representative of all work, neither is a negative experience" yet contradict yourself in your own statement.

yea you got it
Contact ME (Michael) Direct ANYtime (24/7)
Call/Text 504-669-2298
michael@theotherathlete.com
www.paintballtraderworldwide.com www.theotherathlete.com

Last edited by PbN_AutoTrader : 07-17-2012 at 02:59 PM.
PbN_AutoTrader is offline   Reply With Quote