PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 PM #1
venarius

has been a member for 10 years
Tips For Stealth...

I try to be a more or less stealthy player. I know there are fewer and fewer of us out here nowadays... but what are your tips on being stealthy? I'll share a few of mine...

* Move slow when not under fire (i move about 1/3rd my normal pace walking) Keep your head low, and body low. Use the "crouch-walk" you would in Call Of Duty in real life...

* When not spotted, try to keep large objects (rocks, bunkers, trees) in the line-of-sight of opponents... so as to keep yourself out of their view while you approach.

*Use the prone/lay down position! This is one of the most underrated maneuvers in paintball! If you lay down, you've not only minimized your 'target area' to an utmost minimal, but you can now take advantage of avenues of approach not otherwise noted. That mid-size rock, and clump of small shrubs couldn't be approached crouch-walking without being seen, but taking advantage of some environmental quark while crawling can be the key to success in moving stealthy...

* Camouflage. Does what it will. Doesn't need to be fancy, basic BDU's will suffice. Camouflage can be very useful if you tread lightly [in terms of being seen]. It will help a LOT if you play using other strategies mentioned, it will help very LITTLE if you plan on shooting the entire game or are running here and there.
Autococker (built from scratch myself back in the day!)

Last edited by venarius : 10-25-2012 at 10:35 PM.
venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:58 PM #2
Lazerwolf

Make sure you fill your pods all the way up so they can't hear the balls in your pods bouncing around.
Lazerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:01 PM #3
PistolPaul2
Be Nice, Have fun

PistolPaul2 is playing at Living Legends VI
#1 don't let anybody see you

I like to stay away from where everyone else is going and sort of take the path that the other team is going to forget about

# 2 don't shoot unless there's a good chance you can hit the guy. There's no reason to give away your position on some shots you took when there's little to no chance of hitting the guy.

#3 I like to alternate between stealthy and not stealthy so the other team isn't constantly going to be looking out for me although that could be an advantage for the other players on your team. And if you play at the same field twice don't take the same path. I see a lot of people do this and sometimes I'll catch my self going the same path as the game before
PistolPaul2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 AM #4
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

My stealth techniques are secret and complicated but here's a hint. Stealth is not slow. It is violent, calculating, and fast.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 AM #5
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Great tips about walking and croutching.

In woodsball, prone is king.

In hyperball (with large pipes for bunkers), I use a small mirror to look around a bunker before I stick my head out. Sometimes I watch for 10 to 20 seconds before I turn and shoot. It's the one that dentists use to check your teeth.

I usually try to find cover that allows me to stand. Big trees and stand up pipes are the best. Learning to "ground walk" in Akito helps for going up the snake.

Always keep your marker pointed forward. About a third of my kills are because I have my marker on my target where my target has his pointed at the ground. If your truly stealthy, then you will find your target walking into your line of fire. 20'-40' is the perfect kll zone for me.

I play at: Urban Assault, McDonald, PA - Steeltown, Etna, PA - Three Rivers Paintball, Freedom, Pa
I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.
Christian P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 AM #6
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
I'm all about going as fast as possible and try to keep low and get as far as possible in the first few seconds of a game (woodsball). Also hit the farthest the sides so you can flank around, even if they see you sprinting past them, a lot of people will forget quickly once your team starts moving up and shooting at them.
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:14 PM #7
venarius

Quote:
don't shoot unless there's a good chance you can hit the guy. There's no reason to give away your position on some shots you took when there's little to no chance of hitting the guy.
+1

some of the best advice I can give right there. I took 9 people out on less than 75 rounds last game I played...

Typically, I'll find where they are, set myself up [as someone else said] in a position where they will cross into my line of fire. I try to engage @ 75 feet or closer. 3-4 round volley's when I do have a 'good shot', then move onto another position because mine just became known...
Autococker (built from scratch myself back in the day!)
venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:15 AM #8
byarosh201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge
My stealth techniques are secret and complicated but here's a hint. Stealth is not slow. It is violent, calculating, and fast.
This.
byarosh201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 AM #9
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post

Agreed, and +1 to keeping it a secret. I've been able to take out entire teams while they engage my team, occasionally. And "better camo" is certainly not what got me there.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:02 PM #10
The_BOFH

*reading the posts*

to sum it all up: any stealth techniques acceptable to army, police, and other real-life armed units are appropriate for paintball.
“This is the substance of the Way of the Samurai: if by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling.”
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo
The_BOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 PM #11
randoggg79

randoggg79 is playing at Living Legends V
sometimes works sometimes doesn't. peak out with your head close to ground. people will generally be looking at usual head height. going low may go unnoticed.
randoggg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:49 PM #12
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPaul2 View Post
# 2 don't shoot unless there's a good chance you can hit the guy. There's no reason to give away your position on some shots you took when there's little to no chance of hitting the guy.
+2.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 AM #13
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
I use this all the time, as I use my Trracer for First Strike work and I cannot be noticed. If you really want to be stealthy:
1. Don't bring a lot of paint. I put a 50 round hopper on my power weapon and fill it with ten round tubes. A lot quiter than pods. If you're doing stealth right, you don't need that much.
2. Think before you shoot. Stealth is about 20% physical, 75% mental, and 5% camo. If you can move without a sound with a ghille suit on, but you shoot at anything that moves, you'll be found real quick.
3. Practice. Find a buddy to play what I like to call the flashlight game. Find somewhere very similar to where you will be playing. Have your friend stand in the middle of the space with a flashlight. You have to get across where he is without him finding you.
Rules:
Flashlight guy can only turn on his flashlight 3 times, and he can only keep it on for 2 seconds. If you're caught in the glare, you're out.
It sounds like a dumb game, but it will help you out a ton.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 AM #14
gunslinger84

gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah pretty much what has been said. But my trick works pretty damn good in the woods as well. Sprint to the boundary line. Start walking towards opposing side. At some point, turn in. Shoot people in back and side. Watch your team win.

It works. Don't get fancy when you don't have to be.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 PM #15
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Move well, move wide, move fast.
The less paint you carry, the more conservative you are with your shots. I slap a 100-rounder on my Superstock and carry no extra ammo. If I run out in a game, tough luck.
Camo is a little part of it. I've used ACU camo in environments that it was designed for and I basically turned invisible to cursory inspection. I'll get flamed for that, but it's true. I don't rely on my camo, but the human eye is drawn to movement and when you freeze in the correct type of camo, they won't be able to pick you up without looking hard.
Noah
Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 AM #16
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
KYhillbilly has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I have a 5 step cant fail process

First off adapt to your environment. The best way to do this is sleep outside on the ground the night before you play and get acclimated to the weather.

Then pick an organism that is non threatening. A bush, rabbit or squirrel are great examples. Don't be a bear people may shoot a bear anyway.

Then be the thing you picked in practice. If you picked a bush be the bush. Think what would a bush do in this situation. Where would a bush be?

When the game starts become one with nature. Other players will go right past you. Their minds wont register that you are playing.

When they are least expecting attack.
KYhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM #17
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Go where people don't go...

If there is a huge ravine, that no one bothers with, and a bridge down the way, hit the ravine. Everyone will be guarding the bridge. The ravine will be clear.

Get good boots, so you can walk in the creeks (if you have any) this is very effective, as there is usually a bank that you can hide under, and you can peek out the top, and then move into position without being seen.

I totally use trees to "hide" behind while I am closing distance to my opponent. This works really well, especially if you can lean out and snap shoot with accuracy.

Watch my videos, they show stealth play, as that is what I do. And I often run at the beginning of a game, as you have time to get into position when the horn sounds. Getting angles or attacking right up the middle, all of that can be done by being stealthy.

Here is a game from our last event. I am following my father in law (he is 63) as we take the LONG way around to the back of their camp. I saw the first guy at 4:20 because of his movement. He never saw me until right before I shot him out. And at that distance, he had no chance of getting paint over to me with a regular barrel... Too many tree branches blocking his arching paint path.

Last edited by FreeEnterprise : 11-02-2012 at 09:47 AM.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 PM #18
KYhillbilly

Just wanted to say I like Trail of Doom vids. Entertaining stuff when you got some time to kill.

Keep em coming
Old 11-01-2012, 01:26 PM #19
Super69ur
Silly Hats Only

I don't bother with "slow and stealthy". its boring. think more like agro in "army of two". when your opponent is shooting at someone else, they arent looking at you. that's when you move, and move fast. dont bother going slow, they arent looking at you anyways. you have a very short window of opportunity while they are shooting, so make it count. your teammates are your most effective stealth tool.
this way it doesn't matter wat equipment you use. camo? no thanks.

Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate crap it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through the comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.
Super69ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM #20
KYhillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super69ur View Post
I don't bother with "slow and stealthy". its boring. think more like agro in "army of two". when your opponent is shooting at someone else, they arent looking at you. that's when you move, and move fast. dont bother going slow, they arent looking at you anyways. you have a very short window of opportunity while they are shooting, so make it count. your teammates are your most effective stealth tool.
this way it doesn't matter wat equipment you use. camo? no thanks.
It all depends where you play. Theres a big difference in playing in the woods and starting 200ft away from the other team and playing on a 10 acre lot and starting on opposite ends. Shoot somebody who doesnt see you because of your camo or get taken out by somebody you dont see and tell me it doesn't help sometimes.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 PM #21
The_BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super69ur View Post
when your opponent is shooting at someone else, they arent looking at you. that's when you move, and move fast. dont bother going slow, they arent looking at you anyways.
A tip on the opposite side of things: spread your attention across your whole field of vision, so that you can detect horizontal movement ("move fast ^^") right away, making the strategy above useless.

Back to stealth: always presume the OpForce knows the tip above and will detect quick movement. Keep it reasonably slow.

Camo helps, because even though the first thing our eyes notice is movement, the second is color patterns. Out-of-place color combinations are noticed much faster, obviously.
“This is the substance of the Way of the Samurai: if by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling.”
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo
The_BOFH is offline   Reply With Quote