tim2thousand4
Breakout Action Sports!

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
tim2thousand4 is BST Legit
tim2thousand4 is playing at Living Legends VII
tim2thousand4 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tim2thousand4 supports DLX Technology
What a great color combo. Who picked that out?

Hottest new markers!!www.breakoutactionsports.com
tim2thousand4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 PM #86
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
Should I tune my dwell first then regs or do the regs first then dwell .

People thought I was crazy with a dwell of 12 but in 25 degree weather my g6r was so much more consistent than their victories with the factory cookie cutter settings .

I really wish I could shoot my gun with the pressure tester on
Dwell of 12 seems excessive in the G6R to me (that's double the stock dwell). I think bumping it up 2 or so would probably suit you just fine for what you are trying to achieve in cold weather without sacrificing a great deal of the efficiency. I personally use the the recommended settings that came with the marker and then adjust the lpr for consistency from there (which usually comes close to stock). I then set the HPR as needed for fps. When I up my dwell in cold weather, I simply have to reduce the hpr a bit to get back to the desired fps (which is usually a miniscule amount). If you are thinking about adding the new bolt than it is probably ideal to completely re-sweet spot the marker and then start from there.
Mr. Stealthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 AM #87
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
The problem
With cookie cutter settings is they are done with a new gun in perfect Cali weather .

I raise my dwell until a raise in dwell doesn't yield a higher fps . I learned this from matrices shockers and cockers .

How do you know what your dwell should be at what do you look for .

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 AM #88
fsdo_guy

fsdo_guy supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEmortal View Post
VERY NICE!!! - Thanks for the pic!
fsdo_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:54 AM #89
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
The problem
With cookie cutter settings is they are done with a new gun in perfect Cali weather .

I raise my dwell until a raise in dwell doesn't yield a higher fps . I learned this from matrices shockers and cockers .

How do you know what your dwell should be at what do you look for .
Well for my personal sweet spotting, I use the stock dwell and sweet spot the regulators. I will then lower it until I begin to lose fps and/or consistency. When it is cold, I will up it by around 2 or so to be able to drop the hpr a bit so it is more gentle on paint. This set up is for optimum efficiency. You can also do what you described to get a smoother gun however at a dwell of 12 (still seems high to me), you are sacrificing a good amount of efficiency. As far as the California conditions you are right, however they are usually pretty darn close to what you will get sweetspotting.

This is just how I have always done it. Stock settings, sweetspot regs, sweet spot dwell. I imagine it could be done in a slightly different fashion, but that is my standard approach.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 12-27-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 AM #90
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
i feel like the way you do the dwell is half assed. why is a dwell of 6 the mechanically best setting? why up it by 2 or 1 or 5 in the cold?

i feel like with settings you should measure the state of the marker somehow , change a variable and then measure that state of the marker to see if you improved it.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 AM #91
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
i feel like the way you do the dwell is half assed. why is a dwell of 6 the mechanically best setting? why up it by 2 or 1 or 5 in the cold?

i feel like with settings you should measure the state of the marker somehow , change a variable and then measure that state of the marker to see if you improved it.
I never said dwell of 6 is the best, it is just stock. It is generally very close to the lowest dwell setting the guns can go before they start losing fps and consistency. Upping the dwell a couple points allows you to run a slightly lower hpr setting which can be a little gentler on paint and still have pretty good efficiency. I also find that my gun can lose some consistency when it becomes real cold and bumping the dwell a couple of points brings it back. As far as it being "half assed", when it comes to simply upping the dwell a couple of points, you are probably right. I could go fully re-sweet spot the dwell to where it gave me the highest fps gain, but I find it unnecessary and undesirable in the efficiency cost. Simply upping it a couple of points has worked well in absolutely frigid winter conditions in Montana so I imagine they would serve ok for most users.

You can of course double the dwell as you said you do, I just feel your not going to get much benefit in going that high. One of the unique things about the G6R is that it does operate so well at that low of a dwell so I like to keep it. It will of course work at higher dwell settings but you are losing some of the G6R advantages at that point. You have to remember that this is your gun which you can setup however you like. I am merely offering input on how I do it and answering questions.

As far as changing the variables I am not really tracking. The method I suggests involves a full regulator sweet spot with the stock dwell. This would then eliminate two variables (hpr and lpr). Next you would sweet spot your dwell for efficiency by reducing it until you see a reduction in fps. When it is cold out, you could simply up your dwell some to allow it to run a little softer on paint at the cost of some of the efficiency. You could do the opposite as me and raise your dwell after sweet spotting the regulators to the point where you don't get an increase in fps, you would simply the just have to reduce your hpr back down to get your desired fps.

Nine times out of ten I will simply forego sweet spotting the gun and return to the stock sheet settings and then tinker some from there after maintenance. Why? because 9 times out of ten I come within 5 psi or so of my card settings after going through the entire sweet spotting process. However, if I am truly going through a full sweet spot (as I probably would with this new bolt), this is how I would go about doing it. It would be more necessary in this case as you are now having to find what the new ideal lpr setting is for the bolt. Sorry for the long post and hope this clarifies what I meant.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 12-27-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM #92
loki1313
I NEED MY MAKER'S

loki1313 plays in the PSP
loki1313 posts videos on PbNation
loki1313 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

I have never changed my dwell and it's always shot great in cold or hot weather. sure it's a little more inconsistent in the cold but it's usually only a +-6 instead I the usual +-3 I get on other days
loki1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM #93
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
That clarifies it well .

I just tried to set me gun better because I had a terrible event were 2 g6rs and 1 victory shot like dog **** . I would chop on average every 2 and a 1/2 pods . After loosing 2 points where I could have shot the guy had my gun not been shooting soup I used a teammates spare clone and had no problems .

After that I tried to do things better because my g6r was such a piece of **** that day with the factory settings .

Old 12-27-2012, 04:47 PM #94
gamer565
Read the manual!!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Chopping is hopper/paint/eye or setting issues.

Barrel breaks are a different story.

gamer565 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:53 PM #95
msonic
one case one kill

Annual Supporting Member
msonic is a Mega Moderator
msonic is a Supporting Member
msonic is BST Legit
msonic donated to help Peyton Trent
msonic is playing at Living Legends VII
msonic is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
msonic is Immortal
I heard having negative feedback can also cause problems with certain reputable manufacturer's markers.
msonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM #96
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by msonic View Post
I heard having negative feedback can also cause problems with certain reputable manufacturer's markers.
i heard you vacuum your ceilings twice a month.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 PM #97
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
Chopping is hopper/paint/eye or setting issues.

Barrel breaks are a different story.
it was a mix of the two.

the eye delay was stock, tried 3 barrel sizes (underbore, matching and overboring).

used the same rotor on the macdev clone and it shot fine.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 AM #98
Mr. Stealthy

Just to let you dudes know, I have caved in and will be ordering a new G6R Premium pillow bolt here soon (wife may kill me). I will give you guys my impressions of the bolt once I get to use it.