Community Focus

Old 02-10-2012, 04:46 PM #1
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Parents think you're violent?

Hey, 'Nation!
I've been noticing this a lot lately, that my parents and parents of other people I go with feel that we are violent teenagers and don't trust us. I'm 17, and I am not a madman, nor do I get enjoyment out of breaking things or killing things. I like playing paintball because it improves me, both mentally and physically. Paintball is less violent than football or hockey or any other contact sport, yet non-players don't see the game from the insiders point of view, as a means to benefit the player and provide enjoyment. I don't use paintball because of anger, I use it to vent any emotions. The people who play paintball and are sore losers are the ones that we read about, about how they got mad when they lost so they lit the other team up point blank. I've played with those types, and after every match I have to make sure that I'm not in the line of fire and that I can return any fire that may come my way. That's only happened once, and the person will not do it again (after being in the line of fire of me and three friends...). I am not a violent person. I don't fantasize about hurting or maiming things, and I have never once struck out at anything in anger. It pains me to see how people view our sport and the players therein as a body of violent paramilitary people who like to shoot things. I see us as a group of fun-loving, easy-going, and hard-working upright citizens who play a great sport. I suppose my view of Football players is similarly skewed, as I see them as violent, overbearing jocks who walk with their knuckles on the ground. I don't know, maybe if I knew football players better I wouldn't have that view.
So, anyone else see this my way?
Noah

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 PM #2
Hinjin

Hinjin is playing at Living Legends V
Hinjin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Hinjin posts videos on PbNation
Hinjin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hinjin has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I usually just bring along those type of people paintballing and change their mindset.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM #3
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
whenever my mom tells someone i paintball, she also tells them i want to be a cop, so i guess that makes it ok in her mind. just do what you want to do, your 17 you should be able to make a lot of decisions on your own
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:22 PM #4
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob66 View Post
just do what you want to do, your 17 you should be able to make a lot of decisions on your own
I do make my own decisions (I haven't been denied going paintballing even once, as long as I'm paying...), I'm just making a point that people have a problem with paintballers and think that they're violent and destructive. Thanks for the feedback!
Noah

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 PM #5
STRIP3S
Stumpf

STRIP3S plays in the PSP
STRIP3S owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
STRIP3S owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
STRIP3S plays in the APPA D4 division
I have played since I was in middle school (now graduating college and still playing). paintball gets a bad rap amongst everyone because people always focus more on the bad things going on around them; they are the more hyped stories in the news and on talk shows, blah blah blah. Since starting, I have made so many friends and have become a better person through playing the sport.

I feel that to be a well rounded person- you have to focus on you physical, mental, and spiritual being. Paintball has always been a means to drive myself to achieve my potential. Its not violent, though arguments/disputes/confrontation may arise buts life.

Just keep showing your sportsmanship and demonstrate to others that our sport is not about violence, but about teamwork, good sportsmanship, and physical/mental improvement.
STRIP3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:44 PM #6
agurish
War Machine

agurish has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintball gets a bad reputation because of the "fringe" players, or people that misuse the equipment to perform acts of vandalism or assault. Little do people realize, but baseball bats, baseballs, golf balls, hockey sticks, pool cues, golf clubs, and various other sporting equipment is used for vandalism, assault, and even murder every day. Yet you don't see anyone railing to have legislation passed to outlaw baseball bats and golf clubs! It's because there exists in our society a group of people that thinks that anything that looks like a gun is inherently dangerous, and shouldn't be owned by anyone. And unfortunately that group of people often includes our parents, teachers, friends, and relatives. It's up to us, as true representatives of the sport, to always make sure that when we are out there playing, or our visibility is to the public, that we exhibit the best behavior we can, and the best sportsmanship and safety. It's only by example that we can prove that paintball is no more "violent" or "dangerous" than any other sport. Also, please remind people that the large majority of people playing paintball aren't children, or those under 18 years of age. More adults play paintball than kids, simply because of the economics. Just FYI.

Team: The Exiled Souls #42
Death Before Dishonor #117
My Feedback
agurish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM #7
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRIP3S View Post
I have played since I was in middle school (now graduating college and still playing). paintball gets a bad rap amongst everyone because people always focus more on the bad things going on around them; they are the more hyped stories in the news and on talk shows, blah blah blah. Since starting, I have made so many friends and have become a better person through playing the sport.

I feel that to be a well rounded person- you have to focus on you physical, mental, and spiritual being. Paintball has always been a means to drive myself to achieve my potential. Its not violent, though arguments/disputes/confrontation may arise buts life.

Just keep showing your sportsmanship and demonstrate to others that our sport is not about violence, but about teamwork, good sportsmanship, and physical/mental improvement.
You nailed it! This is my philosophy in paintball. Be the nicest, most helpful person you possibly can and they'll see how you think. I'm the guy at the field teching all of the newbie's guns for free or a few dollars for a part, simply because I enjoy doing it and I want to build the reputation of the sport in the parent's eyes (usually the parents of the kids are there, and are very appreciative). So, I use paintball to improve myself. I've learned more from paintball than I have from almost every other sport I've played put together!
Noah

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 PM #8
Luke_850222
e pluribus unum

Luke_850222 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Luke_850222 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Try convincing a school board this. If you can't tell from my sig it's possible.

Blue Knights 2013
Luke_850222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 PM #9
JFOG11
JoJo Fogarty

JFOG11 is playing at Living Legends V
JFOG11 is for the Gunfight
JFOG11 supports Pev's Paintball
JFOG11 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
My mom has said things like, "You will want to hurt people when your older." I respond, "If you played paintball you would understand that it is more than you think." Since then she has gotten over it a little bit but still dosen't like it. Also she insist I spend my money on something other than paintball like my lacrosse gear.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM #10
wangerinjaw

wangerinjaw plays in the PSP
wangerinjaw plays in the APPA D4 division
My mom really does not like paintball. She thinks it is a waste of money and time for me to run around and shoot people. and I can't drive on my own yet(legally).... So I convinced my Dad to drive me around , I get rides when I can, etc. I don't try to convince a lot of people that paintball is not a violent sport. I know it isn't and if they won't play because of some stereotype its their loss. But you can break the stereotype. A lot of people think this at my school, but I made a good argument, went through the right people, and managed to start a paintball club. You can work with people so they don't fall in with the mainstream view. A fact that I like to throw in when talking to people about the "violence" of paintball, is that it is statistically one of the safest sports in the world.
wangerinjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM #11
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFOG11 View Post
My mom has said things like, "You will want to hurt people when your older." I respond, "If you played paintball you would understand that it is more than you think." Since then she has gotten over it a little bit but still dosen't like it. Also she insist I spend my money on something other than paintball like my lacrosse gear.
My mom has hit me with this argument several times. She says she is concerned about how focused I am on "weapons" (paintball markers), and doesn't want me to become violent when I'm older. If you really know me, though, I am about the most calm, thoughtful guy you can know! I've NEVER struck out at anything in anger (although I did want to take a big mallet to my AutoCocker a few times )!
She also insists that I spend my money on something other than paintball, which I do, but I also save about 60% of everything I make. That leaves me with about $80 per paycheck to cover paint, air, gas, and upgrades. I play about three times a month when I can, and during the summer about every week.

Lacrosse is a more violent sport than paintball! Guys running around with sticks and crashing into each other and checking each other pretty hard sometimes.
Oddly enough, my mom never says a word about hockey, even though I get more bruises and bumps from that than I do from paintball.
Anyways, keep doing what you're doing!
Noah

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM #12
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Even though I like football, I always end up throwing it under the bus wants to talk to me about "violence" in paintball. A while back one of the mom's of a girl I was dating wanted to give me the business about paintball, and how it was "so violent" and we were out there to inflict pain on each other or something to that effect.

My response was that football, a sport she was actively encouraging her son to play, was several orders of magnitude more violent. Even in the lower levels of the game, it is rare that a football team goes more than a few games, much less a full season, without a player getting seriously injured. Kids frequently sustain life altering injuries at the high-school level playing football.

Heck, this business with the New Orleans Saints is case in point, guys getting paid, or at least payment being offered, in exchange for physically injuring another player badly enough that they must be taken out of the game. I'm not even sure I could do that to someone on a paintball field without using my marker as a club. Football however, remains the golden calf.

Meanwhile, those of us playing "uber-violent" paintball enjoy a game/sport/hobby (whatever you want to call it) with one of the lowest rates of major injury in the world.

You could make the same argument for Hockey, Soccer, or Lax. NHL Hockey, teams are intentionally dropping the gloves at the opening face-off and having a fistfight. Soccer, a full speed sliding tackle misses the ball and catches somebodies ankle instead. Lax, tons of deliberate, some might say malicious, contact going on there. Meanwhile we get labeled as the "violent" sport.

The perception of violence in paintball has to be tied to the "gun and shooting" stigma, because we sure do like plenty of body on body violence in our other sports. Personally I can't wait until the day someone wearing an MMA shirt tries to tell me I'm some sort of ultra-violent nut job for liking paintball.
...and it's gone.

Last edited by Coenen : 03-27-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 AM #13
sky3196

sky3196 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
sky3196 is for the Gunfight
sky3196 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sky3196 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Its good to see people share my opinion. I am a lacrosse player as well, and the level of contact and even just sheer violence and anger is much higher than in paintball.
Quote:
It's because there exists in our society a group of people that thinks that anything that looks like a gun is inherently dangerous, and shouldn't be owned by anyone.
Its not to say that this is wrong. It is sad that many men would own shotguns and rifles, and hunt, but yet consider paintball violent. I also feel there is a large perception that all paintballers are unsuccessful high school dropouts which is not true as well. Personally I feel the media may help spread this misconception.
sky3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 PM #14
wangerinjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky3196 View Post
Its good to see people share my opinion. I am a lacrosse player as well, and the level of contact and even just sheer violence and anger is much higher than in paintball. Its not to say that this is wrong. It is sad that many men would own shotguns and rifles, and hunt, but yet consider paintball violent. I also feel there is a large perception that all paintballers are unsuccessful high school dropouts which is not true as well. Personally I feel the media may help spread this misconception.
Definitely, the media does not really help us paintballers. And Discovery channel does their best to make us look like backwood, rednecks, violent, and all with death wishes.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 PM #15
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Huh? When was the last time paintball was on the Discovery Channel?

The most "paintball" thing I've seen on Discovery is when they use a marker in an experiment on Mythbusters. Last time they did that, they used a shiny, new ninja black G6R. Which is why they are awesome.
...and it's gone.

Last edited by Coenen : 04-08-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:10 PM #16
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
The most "paintball" thing I've seen on Discovery is when they use a marker in an experiment on Mythbusters. Last time they did that, they used a shiny, new ninja black G6R. Which is why they are awesome.
I was wondering what that darn thing was! I am an unschooled blowback guy...I need to get myself some high-end guns to play with...then maybe I'll be able to identify them!
On the original topic, the media really doesn't help us out. I saw a documentary on something related to paintball (not a product...I can't remember what it was...) where they showed some clips. One of those was a rental player being absolutely destroyed by this guy with an Ego (I do know that marker when I see it!). Another clip was of a player at the end of the day showing off his welts, which were numerous and rather painful looking. That clip alone probably drove away 10% of potential players who watched the show.
The pain factor is another thing that doesn't help us any. I really don't mind being hit after playing for around six years, but some of the new people I bring into the sport are deathly afraid of being hit, layering on two or three sweatshirts. I took a group of my sister's friends once, just to see if they'd like it. We went on my property, so there was no pressure or any fees that they had to worry about wasting or anything (other than some paint they brought with them). I spent quite awhile attempting to convince them to try a game. It should probably be mentioned that they viewed me as an overly militaristic and violent individual, as I was constantly walking around with some type of paintball-related item whenever they were over (I don't choose my customers and their timing, I just fix their stuff!) at our house. So, finally, I got them to play a game. They absolutely loved it. Even after taking several painful hits, they were all talking of buying their own equipment, starting a team, and just enjoying the sport. I counted that as a victory. I'd changed their attitudes both on me, as well as on the whole sport.
Noah

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM #17
wangerinjaw

Quote:
Huh? When was the last time paintball was on the Discovery Channel?

Mythbusters is awesome, that is very true. But look at the time warp where they did paintball on youtube. They broke half the safety rules and then proceeded to call paintball a dangerous sport. They demonstrated what would happen if you got shot in the head without your mask??? Why would you get shot if you aren't wearing a mask. Thats your own dang fault if you screw yourself up. They shot a girl while she was not wearing a mask. And shot way over 300 fps. If you've got netflix check out the wrekreation nation where they did paintball. I am pretty sure that did not help the image. I don't know what discovery's got against paintball but I pretty sure its something.
p.s. what episode of mythbusters did they use a paintball gun in?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:48 PM #18
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Here's the Time Warp video...lots of safety issues and a bad rap of paintball all around...

The reason they got destroyed is because the one guy had a VSC Phantom and the other guy had something like a Spyder Victor. The girls were shooting something like Shockers and Ions...and yeah, they shot each other point blank, they took their masks off on the field, and they shot a girl without her mask...not happy about that one!
Noah

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 04-19-2012, 04:32 PM #19
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
I was wondering what that darn thing was! I am an unschooled blowback guy...I need to get myself some high-end guns to play with...then maybe I'll be able to identify them!
On the original topic, the media really doesn't help us out. I saw a documentary on something related to paintball (not a product...I can't remember what it was...) where they showed some clips.
Come over to the dark side young man, even if you get something older like a Gen3 Timmy (which make fun and relatively simple project builds) or an older DM/Cyborg whatever, it's definitely cool to have at least one high-end something in the gearbag.

If you find or remember the name of that doc, hit me up I'd like to watch it, I'm always interested to see the game portrayed in non-industry media, even if I'm just going to nit-pick when it's done poorly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangerinjaw View Post
Mythbusters is awesome, that is very true. But look at the time warp where they did paintball on youtube.
p.s. what episode of mythbusters did they use a paintball gun in?
Mythbusters has used paintball three times that I can remember. I suspect someone on the crew plays, because they've used different, and progressively nicer gun every time. First was a basic blowback Spyder clone, I forget the episode/experiment, I think it may have just been flimsy pretext for Adam and Jaime to shoot each other. Second they used a Vibe to test whether or not a projectile launched on a flat trajectory will hit the ground at the same time as one that is dropped straight down. (You can, because gravity is more than a good idea, it's the law.) Recently they used a G6R as part of testing whether or not you could dodge a sniper's bullet were you to see the flash from the gun shot. (Possible but HIGHLY unlikely)
Quote:
Here's the Time Warp video...lots of safety issues and a bad rap of paintball all around...
I remember that...sort of. I was disappointed b/c there were a ton of cool possibilities...and they did exactly none of them. I remember the girls rolling the hosts as well, which was to be expected, and even vaguely the "no mask" shot. The joys of paintball as portrayed by people who have no legitimate knowledge about the sport, or the people playing it.

Also, we have to accept the fact, whether or not we like it, there is inherent danger in playing paintball. We are a safe sport due to the hard work and commitment of refs/fields and the players themselves. Not because paintball is inherently safe. For television purposes, danger, or at least the impression or suggestion of danger = drama. Unfortunately, it's a marketing device that I fear we may have to live with. That is a different kettle of fish from the "Violence" issue though.
...and it's gone.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM #20
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

Quote:
Come over to the dark side young man, even if you get something older like a Gen3 Timmy (which make fun and relatively simple project builds) or an older DM/Cyborg whatever, it's definitely cool to have at least one high-end something in the gearbag.

If you find or remember the name of that doc, hit me up I'd like to watch it, I'm always interested to see the game portrayed in non-industry media, even if I'm just going to nit-pick when it's done poorly.
Mythbusters has used paintball three times that I can remember. I suspect someone on the crew plays, because they've used different, and progressively nicer gun every time. First was a basic blowback Spyder clone, I forget the episode/experiment, I think it may have just been flimsy pretext for Adam and Jaime to shoot each other. Second they used a Vibe to test whether or not a projectile launched on a flat trajectory will hit the ground at the same time as one that is dropped straight down. (You can, because gravity is more than a good idea, it's the law.) Recently they used a G6R as part of testing whether or not you could dodge a sniper's bullet were you to see the flash from the gun shot. (Possible but HIGHLY unlikely)
I remember that...sort of. I was disappointed b/c there were a ton of cool possibilities...and they did exactly none of them. I remember the girls rolling the hosts as well, which was to be expected, and even vaguely the "no mask" shot. The joys of paintball as portrayed by people who have no legitimate knowledge about the sport, or the people playing it.

Also, we have to accept the fact, whether or not we like it, there is inherent danger in playing paintball. We are a safe sport due to the hard work and commitment of refs/fields and the players themselves. Not because paintball is inherently safe. For television purposes, danger, or at least the impression or suggestion of danger = drama. Unfortunately, it's a marketing device that I fear we may have to live with. That is a different kettle of fish from the "Violence" issue though.
They also used something looking like an Ego on their chase-car experiment (can't exactly remember the myth, I just remember Jamie and Adam chasing each other around with the gun mounted on their cars.)

Yeah, the media needs to have actual paintballers report and choose the footage used in any documentaries...

I'm joining the dark side...I just haven't found a gun I agree with yet! I like the G6R...maybe a Shocker...I think I'll keep my 'Cocker, though!
Noah

Proud Pumper since 2011
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 PM #21
wangerinjaw

Quote:
They also used something looking like an Ego on their chase-car experiment (can't exactly remember the myth, I just remember Jamie and Adam chasing each other around with the gun mounted on their cars.)

Yeah, the media needs to have actual paintballers report and choose the footage used in any documentaries...

I'm joining the dark side...I just haven't found a gun I agree with yet! I like the G6R...maybe a Shocker...I think I'll keep my 'Cocker, though!
Noah
This might have been the spy car episode but not sure.

Edit: Scratch that, spy car 2. They test if a machine gun mounted on a car would work.

Adrenalin Army AA ALL DAY

Last edited by wangerinjaw : 04-19-2012 at 11:00 PM.