Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Classic rock is only justified because it lead to rock music that didn't suck
So, so true.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 PM #65
yesme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Technical merit does not mean good music. Music is music. The Beatles are incredibly simple, yet their music is and will live on pretty much forever, loved by hundreds of millions of people.

You can admire technical prowess, but it has nothing to do with sounding good. It has everything to do with the appreciation of the hardship of acting out such a piece.
Beatles simple? Maybe the mass produced stuff, but i try to listen to demo's, bootlegs and the such, when the artist is at his best. Did you know they had 40+ versions of strawberry fields including a polka version?

Of course the music has to appeal to you, but after you get past that(which most do not, hence the popularity of horrible music we all know and loath) then you start to see the technical aspects of it.

Just like some people will never have an eye for art, some will never have an ear for music. However their beliefs will tell you otherwise.
yesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 PM #66
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKnight View Post
I always get a ton of **** for this, but The Division Bell is one of my guilty pleasures.
The second half of that album is optimal for falling asleep to IMO. High Hopes is a top 5 all time Floyd track. I saw that tour, only time I had a chance to see Floyd live.

Pink Floyd is absolutely awesome and I would hope people would realize this.

On topic: I will likely vote for the rich white guy, but do not consider a vote for Johnson a waste if you were planning to vote for Obama. Vote away for Gary, and send that message! It will only strengthen a 3rd party platform in 4 years.

Last edited by Tuff : 10-25-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 PM #67
Soul Man
free

looks like gary johnson is getting a considerable pice of the pie according to that poll
Soul Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:08 PM #68
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Man View Post
looks like gary johnson is getting a considerable pice of the pie according to that poll
Sad in the insignificant corner, pie?
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 PM #69
Rapier7
Smarter than you

Voting is for chumps. Don't do it. Not unless you can provide a 500,000 vote margin in Ohio.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 AM #70
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Lol, do you have a grudge against these men? It would be a lolsy presidency for sure.

I will be voting Obama if I can get my gosh darn address on my voter registration changed in time.

I think for a candidate with little experience he has done a better job than people think. My only real problem with him is his disdain for states rights in the form of marijuana dispensary raids. I think if you really have a problem with the way benghazi was handled-which is a reasonable complaint-you have to also give him credit for OKing the killing of Osama. Can't blame him for one and not give him credit for another, imo.
I absolutely will hold Benghazi against him without giving him credit for Osama. Obama didn't bust his *** for years getting intel, he didnt learn to fight like a seal, he didnt spend years upon years in the military earning a commanding position. The military got Bin Laden, Obama simply said the word "ok" which is what any president would have said.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 AM #71
licence2kill
POOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17 View Post
The military got Bin Laden, Obama simply said the word "ok" which is what any president would have said.
100% bull****ting
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:09 AM #72
licence2kill
POOP

the military invaded iraq, all bush did was say ok.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 AM #73
Soul Man
free

you forgot the part where he provided all the false intelligence
Soul Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 AM #74
licence2kill
POOP

did bush go out there an collect that intelligence he knew was false?

didn't think so
Old 10-26-2012, 03:39 AM #75
Blake360

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
100% bull****ting
So you're saying obama flew to pakistan himself and personally shot osama? Otherwise how was Drex wrong?
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 AM #76
Soul Man
free

it's obama's fault osama didn't get a trial
Old 10-26-2012, 08:22 AM #77
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

I can't beleive I share an atmosphere with these people.

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.
Tafari Makonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 AM #78
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapier7 View Post
Voting is for chumps. Don't do it. Not unless you can provide a 500,000 vote margin in Ohio.
While I do feel our whole 2 party system needs a overhaul, as does our legal system and our imigration system...

If you don't vote, you have no right to *****/complain about the problems.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 AM #79
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17 View Post
I absolutely will hold Benghazi against him without giving him credit for Osama. Obama didn't bust his *** for years getting intel, he didnt learn to fight like a seal, he didnt spend years upon years in the military earning a commanding position. The military got Bin Laden, Obama simply said the word "ok" which is what any president would have said.
Then you're being overly partisan, sorry.

Either he's too high up to affect the military or he isn't. Can't have it both ways.

Edit: think of it this way, all he did in Pakistan was say ok to some soldiers going there. Why would you not give him credit for that, but you blame him for NOT saying ok to some soldiers going to benghazi?

Judging by your reaction you would have ALSO not given him credit for protecting benghazi properly if he had done so, yet you currently blame him.

So the way I see it you only blame. No giving credit.

So...you're being overly partisan.

Last edited by chodeyg : 10-26-2012 at 10:17 AM.
chodeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 AM #80
Umami
Paragon

Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafari Makonnen View Post
I can't beleive I share an atmosphere with these people.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ldabomber.html

I have a hypothesis...

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM #81
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
And the interpretation of all of that is purely subjective. Certain acoustics, forms of resonance, chords, modes, tone, timbre, and overall composition structures will affect each individual differently. It doesn't matter as much what is written but, rather what is received.

Entertainment is just as subjective as well. Some people like to watch dancing. Some people like watching pyrotechnics while wailing on each other. Some people like a softer setting, being seated and having the music be more transparent. It's all up to the individual receiving the sounds or sights, not the person composing it.
There is a discernible objective difference in quality between JS Bach and Skid Row that goes well beyond whether or not we "like" either. Artistry, or the arrangement of phrases in relation to an underlying narrative is what makes for a more profound experience. The fact of the matter is that most are too tin eared to hear it.

I'm not a snob, I like a lot of really stupid ****. Just doing this for the sake of argument.

No argument here about entertainment.
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 AM #82
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesme View Post
Beatles simple? Maybe the mass produced stuff, but i try to listen to demo's, bootlegs and the such, when the artist is at his best. Did you know they had 40+ versions of strawberry fields including a polka version?

Of course the music has to appeal to you, but after you get past that(which most do not, hence the popularity of horrible music we all know and loath) then you start to see the technical aspects of it.

Just like some people will never have an eye for art, some will never have an ear for music. However their beliefs will tell you otherwise.
Franz Schubert believed very strongly in simplicity. Death and the Maiden is a profoundly moving piece, but not for some display of proficiency in instrumentation.

I agree with your last sentiment though.
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 AM #83
Rapier7
Smarter than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
While I do feel our whole 2 party system needs a overhaul, as does our legal system and our imigration system...

If you don't vote, you have no right to *****/complain about the problems.
That's ridiculous. Individual voting has zero impact on public policy.

Arguably, becoming a politician or bureaucrat puts you in a greater position to deal with our problems. Should I say if you don't run for office or work for the government, you have no right to complain about the problems this country faces?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 AM #84
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
There is a discernible objective difference in quality between JS Bach and Skid Row that goes well beyond whether or not we "like" either. Artistry, or the arrangement of phrases in relation to an underlying narrative is what makes for a more profound experience. The fact of the matter is that most are too tin eared to hear it.

I'm not a snob, I like a lot of really stupid ****. Just doing this for the sake of argument.

No argument here about entertainment.
I'm going to PM you. This is too far off topic.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote