Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 AM #1
accidentprone
Gun Whore Since '02

Annual Supporting Member
accidentprone is for the Gunfight
Vanguard Demon Leak

Im sorry if this is wordy. I figured details would help. And I have watched every dang youtube video on these things. I wish the Vanguard ones were HD. That'd rock.

This will be my final attempt to fix my Demon before sending it to Deadboxsports. I received it from its previous owner. It’s a 2011 that has been 2k12'd. I do have all the original 2011 parts. I air'd it up. Shot 221,230,233,238,230,232. Attempted to make minor adjustments to HPR. Fastest it shot was 242 and then it would vent and start to leak. Id de-gas, and re-gas with the HPR turned back down, and it would shoot fine. Inspected bolt assembly. No damaged o-rings. Wiped old lube off, reapplied DOW 55. The bolt doesn’t move very easily in the assembly I noticed. It takes a considerable amount of effort compared to something like a DM8 bolt. Put it back in, same issue. No obviously damaged rings on the HPR assembly (which is still baffling me, I will get to that later). Same low shooting. Took the bolt out. Took the noid off, inspected the gasket. Seems fine. Fits right into the little grooves for it. It does seem to fit flush. I don’t know if it’s supposed to or not. There is not much raised gasket to seal the noid against the manifold, but it seems ok I suppose. Noid seats well against it. I then took off the manifold. QEV looked ok but it had some lube on it so I switched it. When I put the little cylinder that retains the QEV back into the hole, I saw it has a little cut milled into the cylinder. I put that slit facing towards the side of the manifold that the noid mounts to, not the body. I’m not sure if that matters. I put everything back together, tightened it down and it leaks like the titanic from the grip frame, right behind the trigger. Took it all apart. All the o-rings look good. I regreased everything. Still leaks but not as bad. The HPR is a little difficult for me to explain. I took the assembly out. I’m not sure how about how many threads out the adjustment screw should be from the bottom of the housing (not the grip). I’m not sure if I need to make it flush. I’m worried the HPR is over pressurizing the marker. So I put the adjustment screw about a turn out, so it’s protruding. I threaded the grip on, and lined up the groove so I could install the setscrew. Gassed the marker up. Leaks like mad but it does cycle, and then I can’t even adjust the fricken adjustment screw because that damn setscrew keeps it from turning. I’m lost and very frustrated. I’m normally pretty good with this stuff. If I can’t get it tonight, it’s going out to be fixed tomorrow. What rings should I just change? Any tips for the HPR? I’ll try and get a vid up tonight. And the tank is a ninja with a high pressure regulator on it.

Dwell is at 15.0 ms
Debounce is at 2.0 ms
Eye Delay at 3.0 ms
Eye Sens at 15
Bolt Delay at 8.0 ms
Clearing shot is On
FSDO Time is at 10 sec
FSDO Dwell is at 1.5 ms
Loader Pulse is at 20 ms

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3987452

www.stephenspake.com

SELLING MY DUAL CORE MACBOOK - $250 NO ISSUES!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3940079

Last edited by accidentprone : 10-23-2012 at 11:46 AM.
accidentprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2012, 04:42 PM #2
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
You may have put the QEV in backwards. I'm not sure which way you did it from your description but try flipping it. You should run it totally dry for the longest life. I know that much.

As for low velocity, it sounds like one or more of your inner can orings is just wayyyy to tight. I would take off one at a time and move the bolt by hand until you find the one (or more) orings causing the insane drag on the bolt. Remember even though orings may look the same size, they may not be. Try replacing the bad one(s) with a few others to see if you can find something smoother.

You could also try swapping the actual bolt for your 2011 one and see if that helps.....it may fit better, or not.

I think once you solve that oring fit problem and get your QEV working right you'll be ok. You may have to raise your dwell a bit if your velocity is still a little low. Which is fine. Over pressurizing the internals will almost always cause a leak. Better to run a higher dwell than higher reg pressure.

I'm sure Reaper will chime in here too.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 PM #3
accidentprone
Gun Whore Since '02

Annual Supporting Member
QEV is in properly. I checked. If you looked at the profile of it, its shaped like a cone. The apex of the cone is pointed outward towards the piece that is removable.

Right now, the bolt tightness seems like my smallest issue. I think that before I can mess with that, I need to get the thing to not bleed air out of the gripframe, but that is a good idea, swapping the internals. I didnt know if they were compatible or not. So thanks! If I can get it to not leak, I'm gonna do that!

www.stephenspake.com

Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM #4
Reaper (ACI)
We're Weird

Reaper (ACI) works for a Paintball manufacturer
Reaper (ACI) donated to help Peyton Trent
Reaper (ACI) is for the Gunfight
Reaper (ACI) is for the Gunfight
QEV could just be bad or any number of the manifold gaskets or o-rings could be bad also.
www.deadboxsports.com

I have LEGO Paintballer Mini Figs
Reaper (ACI) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:01 PM #5
accidentprone
Gun Whore Since '02

Annual Supporting Member
Damn.

www.stephenspake.com

Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM #6
djtail

djtail owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
djtail is for the Gunfight
maybe the o-rings inside the boltguide has swollen...
djtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 PM #7
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Well a leak will certainly make the gun not work properly.

If I were you I'd clean and lube the older drive train, slip that in and gas the gun up. If you still hear the exact same leak, then at least you'll know it's not the drive train. Once you narrow it down more then you'll have a better chance of fixing it.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote