Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 PM #1
dragonfire665

Painting a mask

So, ok let me start by saying i do not have a Dye or a Vforce like many painted mask here. But i still want to personalize my mask. I have read the few threats here and i do have some paiting experience, not with mask, but it could help (and i am not saying im the best or greatest, just a bit of knowledge).

However, i do not understand what went wrong or what happened. So for those who have painted masks before, hopefully you can help me.

So like everyone, i bough Fusion Krylon Paint from Wal-mart. My mask i was able to remove the goggles, but since is not a curve mask or anything, painting the whole mask was the only option and to be honest what i wanted.

Now, i also bought some sand paper 200 and slightly sanded the mask. Cleaned it all up and started to spray. 8-10 inches, small burst since so much was dripping out of the can either way. Most of the paint instead of sticking to the mask, it was just dripping down, nothing was sticking. And at this moment i am using hot gloss red. Waiting 15mins, and another coat. Another 15mins and another coat. I did 4 coats. some area paints stuck, others the pure black from the mask was visible.

Does anyone know why this happened? what can i do to fix it? besides re sanding and starting from scratch. I am glad the mask i use was a crappy one, so i have no worries on learning with it. But my thing is, why didnt the paint stuck? why didnt it cover the mask as it should? you kno, Fuze to it.

Any suggestions?
dragonfire665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM #2
ventturei26
100 mph U-Turn

has been a member for 10 years
ventturei26 supports Pev's Paintball
ventturei26 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
now some being a "painter" u made sure to not get full color in the first coat right?

just mist it and let it dry for awhile, 15 min it not enough unless its sitting outside on a 115* day in direct sunlight.

at this point your going to have to start all over. probly the best thing to do it to get the paint off of it. sand it a bit more, clean the crap off after with a rag, and then use a tag clothe to prep the plastic, then use a plastic adhering paint and very very light coats. too heavy a coat and all it will do is create its own shell
"can i borrow some paint...ill give it right back!!"-Russ aka Gunslinger #26 aka ventturei26

OLD Feedback

Massive Gearbag Sale

ventturei26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 AM #3
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Ducky Pump Squad

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
You have to make sure you remove all the oils from the mask or the paint will not stick. Dawn soap and water work Or rubbing Alcohol Work well for Cleaning the surface for paint. But once you put paint on it And it dries You need to sand it. Any paint remover will destroy your mask.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:43 PM #4
dragonfire665

ok i guess i know what is my next task. But should i even bother sanding it at first for the next mask? i am also thinking of doing my hoppers. But do sanding is really required? i know for the mask i just did, that will be a yes since i need to re do it. And another other tips? i will make sure to use alcohol next time. I just use soap and water but i guess there was still some oil left on it.
dragonfire665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 AM #5
zeLarebear

Question. Has anyone ever used Plastidip? Using it on my Grillz. Curious about the outcome.
zeLarebear is offline   Reply With Quote