PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 AM #1
In-Hoc

In-Hoc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
In-Hoc plays in the APPA D5 division
Mid Level Markers

If you read my prior posts you will see that my Brother-in-law just got introduced into the world of paintball and he was looking at buying his first electronic marker. He started looking and I asked about some opinions. Well he listened to me (first time in his life) and didn't just run out and buy any old marker. He is actually going to buy my Azodin Blitz off of me. I'm now looking to upgrade to a mid level marker.

I'm looking at the following markers and I want your comparison please.

Dangerous Power G3 Spec-R
Dangerous Power G4
Planet Eclipse Etha
Planet Eclipse Etek3

I'm looking mostly at used markers because I have a budget of about $250-$300. I tried out an Invert Mini and I did not care for the way that it felt in my hands. I know that it is a quality marker but just didn't like the feeling of it. I've had all of these markers in my hand and like the way it feels but I've not shot any of them so I don't know how they perform.

This is what I really care about.
How it feels in my hands? (Already took care of that)
How easy is it to maintain? (Need your help)
How easy is it to get parts? (Again need your help)
How does it shoot/perform? (Help please)
What upgrades are going to be necessary (Help)

If there is a marker that you REALLY think that I'm missing the boat on please let me know and compare it to the others that I'm looking at.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! for your opinions!

It's not the WILL to WIN, but rather the WILL to PREPARE to WIN that will make the difference!

In-Hoc Signo Vinces!
In-Hoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM #2
Team.Infected
Beast Coast

Team.Infected supports Team VICIOUS
Team.Infected posts videos on PbNation
Team.Infected plays in the APPA D4 division
Team.Infected supports Empire
Personally I believe you are looking at the wrong guns... definatley going in the right direction but just missing it lol.

Instead of the etek/etha look for an 07/08 ego. it will be lighter than either of those guns (not sure 100% about the etha) and will shoot better.

PE is a piece of cake to maintain, pop out the bolt by lifting a pin and put a drop of oil on it. once in a blue moon you can clean the poppit and ram but most people out there do not even lube their bolt lol.

again, imo stay away from dp. I hear they shoot well but I also hear they are finiky and have problems. Not a ton of people own them therefore its less common to have someone that knows how to tech them off the back of their heads.. less fields/stores will have parts for them because they are less common.

Look into the axe, if you believe the mini is a good gun and just uncomfortable you will like the axe. The foregrip and grip frame has additional space and the trigger guard is also extended. it is much more comfortable than a mini.

Personally the axe is my gun of choice, fairley smooth, not too heavy, pretty efficient, and definately reliable. Im testing my current one and I havnt cleaned/lubed it in 3 months playing every sunday and there has not been a problem. They are easy to clean too, just pull out the "engine" and slap on some lube then its good to go.
You can find them for about 275-350 used in the b/s/t. They are going to be newer as well
Team.Infected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM #3
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Darko9989 is playing at Living Legends V
Darko9989 is for the Gunfight
Darko9989 supports Pev's Paintball
Darko9989 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Darko9989 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team.Infected
Personally I believe you are looking at the wrong guns... definatley going in the right direction but just missing it lol.

Instead of the etek/etha look for an 07/08 ego. it will be lighter than either of those guns (not sure 100% about the etha) and will shoot better.

PE is a piece of cake to maintain, pop out the bolt by lifting a pin and put a drop of oil on it. once in a blue moon you can clean the poppit and ram but most people out there do not even lube their bolt lol.

again, imo stay away from dp. I hear they shoot well but I also hear they are finiky and have problems. Not a ton of people own them therefore its less common to have someone that knows how to tech them off the back of their heads.. less fields/stores will have parts for them because they are less common.

Look into the axe, if you believe the mini is a good gun and just uncomfortable you will like the axe. The foregrip and grip frame has additional space and the trigger guard is also extended. it is much more comfortable than a mini.

Personally the axe is my gun of choice, fairley smooth, not too heavy, pretty efficient, and definately reliable. Im testing my current one and I havnt cleaned/lubed it in 3 months playing every sunday and there has not been a problem. They are easy to clean too, just pull out the "engine" and slap on some lube then its good to go.
You can find them for about 275-350 used in the b/s/t. They are going to be newer as well
I agree with this guy. Look for an Axe. The used Ego is also good advice although personally I would buy a used Vice before I bought an 08 Ego. Don't focus on ease of maintenance. Learn to wrench on your gun. It will become enjoyable and help you in the long run. I break my gun down completely after each full day of playing.
Darko9989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM #4
Team.Infected
Beast Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko9989 View Post
I agree with this guy. Look for an Axe. The used Ego is also good advice although personally I would buy a used Vice before I bought an 08 Ego. Don't focus on ease of maintenance. Learn to wrench on your gun. It will become enjoyable and help you in the long run. I break my gun down completely after each full day of playing.
Thats definately true, every player should know how to break down their marker and do basic matience. eventually you should have a basic understanding to be able to look at any marker. some are more complicated than others so make sure you have the manual handy or look at videos on youtube
Old 10-09-2012, 02:43 PM #5
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team.Infected View Post
Thats definately true, every player should know how to break down their marker and do basic matience. eventually you should have a basic understanding to be able to look at any marker. some are more complicated than others so make sure you have the manual handy or look at videos on youtube
While I agree, starting with a marker that is easier to maintain is a better route. Thats like saying all new players should get Clone GT's or some other high end gun with supreme tolerances and just learn as they go. I think you are on track man, this level of guns exist for a reason and you seem to fit the bill. PE will be much better customer service over dp. Poppets will be much easier than spools. The etek is the easiest to maintain of these and will be the most efficient. It will be louder than the others but nothing that will surprise anyone. A new, mid-level marker also provides you the luxury of a warranty so that is another perk.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM #6
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35

While I agree, starting with a marker that is easier to maintain is a better route. Thats like saying all new players should get Clone GT's or some other high end gun with supreme tolerances and just learn as they go. I think you are on track man, this level of guns exist for a reason and you seem to fit the bill. PE will be much better customer service over dp. Poppets will be much easier than spools. The etek is the easiest to maintain of these and will be the most efficient. It will be louder than the others but nothing that will surprise anyone. A new, mid-level marker also provides you the luxury of a warranty so that is another perk.
Good points.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:02 PM #7
Team.Infected
Beast Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35 View Post
Just for clarification my first post noted that spoolies will be more difficult to maintain, I was only saying in my 2nd post that he should learn to tech his gun and its good to always have instructions especially if hes looking at a DP or something like a dm/pm.

But obviousley the OP might not have understood what I was saying so def good job on pointing this out to him!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM #8
robf88
Berserker

robf88 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
robf88 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Hoc View Post
If you read my prior posts you will see that my Brother-in-law just got introduced into the world of paintball and he was looking at buying his first electronic marker. He started looking and I asked about some opinions. Well he listened to me (first time in his life) and didn't just run out and buy any old marker. He is actually going to buy my Azodin Blitz off of me. I'm now looking to upgrade to a mid level marker.

I'm looking at the following markers and I want your comparison please.

Dangerous Power G3 Spec-R
Dangerous Power G4
Planet Eclipse Etha
Planet Eclipse Etek3

I'm looking mostly at used markers because I have a budget of about $250-$300. I tried out an Invert Mini and I did not care for the way that it felt in my hands. I know that it is a quality marker but just didn't like the feeling of it. I've had all of these markers in my hand and like the way it feels but I've not shot any of them so I don't know how they perform.

This is what I really care about.
How it feels in my hands? (Already took care of that)
How easy is it to maintain? (Need your help)
How easy is it to get parts? (Again need your help)
How does it shoot/perform? (Help please)
What upgrades are going to be necessary (Help)

If there is a marker that you REALLY think that I'm missing the boat on please let me know and compare it to the others that I'm looking at.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! for your opinions!
As previously mentioned, looking at a used higher end gun like an 07 ego wouldn't be a bad idea. AXE's are also great guns as mentioned, but I'm not sure what they go for used - I personally never liked the feel. You may wanna look for a used Proto Reflex Rail also. Not sure what other people think of them, but the ergos are great and they shoot smoother than all of the guns you are looking at. They do lack efficiency and are a bit harder to maintain from what I understand (have only played around with a friends, but he talked like he had to break down the reg quite a bit, but that may just be his OCD - not sure).

Now as far as the guns mentioned, I would choose a used Etek 3. It is the easiest to maintain and most of the parts are the same on the Etek 4 so you should be able to get them for quite a while. Aside from O-Rings, I doubt you really have any problems that would call for you needing parts. I believe someone already mentioned it would be the loudest, but most efficient and this is true. As far as ugrades, either DP will probably need a Tech T bolt and barrel kit. They are also a bit more finicky, but I did love my G4 when I had it. The etha shouldn't really need any upgrades and will have a shaft 4 so you could just get the boost kit. Most used Etek 3's will already have certain upgrades such as the zick 2 and possibly a bolt because it seemed like most people who bought them ended up trying to make them smoother with upgrades.

I shoot an Etek 4 now which for the most part is an Upped Etek 3 and I love it. I sold my G4 so it wouldn't collect dust after I got it if that means anything.
robf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 AM #9
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Get a mini and put in a nummech extender. It gives you 1" more of front front grip and only under $40. I bet you can get a modded mini for $175-$200 and put in a nummech extender for $60 less than a stock axe.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM #10
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
Get a mini and put in a nummech extender. It gives you 1" more of front front grip and only under $40. I bet you can get a modded mini for $175-$200 and put in a nummech extender for $60 less than a stock axe.
Man that mod is just ugly.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:26 PM #11
inferno2inferno

Replying to the original question of the thread, I would say that the Etek 3 is the best choice on that list. Although a bit loud until broken in, the marker is easy to maintain, straightforward to take apart and extremely reliable. If you want to spend a little more, you can get an Etek 4 which is basically the exact same marker with a few adjusted features. I have not heard any good things about the g4 and I would switch that option for a Proto Rail instead.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 PM #12
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno2inferno View Post
Replying to the original question of the thread, I would say that the Etek 3 is the best choice on that list. Although a bit loud until broken in, the marker is easy to maintain, straightforward to take apart and extremely reliable. If you want to spend a little more, you can get an Etek 4 which is basically the exact same marker with a few adjusted features. I have not heard any good things about the g4 and I would switch that option for a Proto Rail instead.
Agreed.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 PM #13
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
no to the g4.....

I'd look into the axe. I like mine for what it is.

1/1 Factory Acid wash green splashed luxe... Cheap.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4281337
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 PM #14
ColoradoPaintballer

ColoradoPaintballer is a Paintball photographer
I have a Brand new G4 blue and black FT maybe sale...but im not sure
ColoradoPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 PM #15
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Have a Vice and Etek 4, and recently traded my Axe (want a different color). You cannot go wrong with any of these, but there are differences. Most air efficient Vice by 2 pods easily with the Etek and Axe the same around a hopper with 4 pods (field is 3000#). Quiet Vice followed closely by Axe, but the Etek is loud (I got it from a snake player that hated being heard over the chaos of the game). Smooth shot Axe over the Vice and Etek spool over poppet. Upgradability Etek and Axe over the Vice, but really this is a personal choice of what to upgrade. Hope this helps.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 PM #16
Proto012

2011 proto rail is a solid marker for 250 bucks.. Can't beat that
Proto012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:03 AM #17
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
I will still stand by the Vice. Others seem to agree with me.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM #18
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Vice really a good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko9989 View Post
I will still stand by the Vice. Others seem to agree with me.
Macro line version of G6R basically. Great efficiency. Used price around 300 to 400. One problem BUY IT WITH the Low Pressure Tester you will need it and nearly impossible to find separately. Trust me on this

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 AM #19
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pipes

Macro line version of G6R basically. Great efficiency. Used price around 300 to 400. One problem BUY IT WITH the Low Pressure Tester you will need it and nearly impossible to find separately. Trust me on this
You can get a pressure tester from BLAST for around $25. Also many pro shops carry them. My local one has 4 in stock.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 AM #20
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pipes View Post
I found one within 10 minutes of trying. There is also a plenty easy way to set the regs without a tester (sent to me by a timmy tech):

Quote:
zero out both regs, shoot it so there's no air... Then turn in the 1 turn past when you hear air rush into the gun

Then turn in the LPR until the gun will cycle. Then turn it 1/8-1/4 turns past that point.

Then chrono using the HPR.

If your gun is inconsistent, turn up the lpr 1/16 of a turn.