Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Gun Maintenance: How Often? How Much?

More info on my website (look under my username as I can't plug it here *ahem*)

I'm using this as a reference thread to link to anyone with any maintenance related questions.

Now, to start things off, EVERY GUN REQUIRES MAINTENANCE! EVERY MOVING PART REQUIRES MAINTENANCE! JUST LIKE EVERYTHING IN LIFE, IF YOU REFUSE TO CARE FOR IT, IT WILL REFUSE TO WORK FOR YOU. Remember that.

Now, there are 2 main kinds of guns on the market currently: Spool Valve and Poppet Valve.

This is what you need to look for and do on poppet valve markers.

Regulators:

High Pressure/Inline Regulator:
Every 15-20 cases I advise opening up the regulator and going over the guts. Rub everything down with a microfiber and then apply a Dow33 or synthetic based lubricant on ALL the Orings and some on the regulator spring and piston body itself. Do not be afraid to put too much, but don't glop **** on everywhere. Keeping this maintained will make sure you can shoot as accurately/consistently as possible as well as preventing any spikes that can blow your solenoid, break paint, etc. If you own a Bob Long gun, use dow55. Unless the regulator is some after market crap, then use the normal routine.

Low Pressure/Horizontal Regulator:
Every 7-10 cases, do what you'd normally do to the High Pressure reg, but to the low pressure reg. Keeping this maintained will cut down on your chance of inconsistent shots and ball choppings. If you own a Bob Long Gun, dow55 it up.

Lower Tube (Marqs and Empire EP guns, ignore this):

Ram: Every 3-5 cases, remove and completely wipe down with microfiber, if it's an Angel, I'd dip it in rubbing alcohol if there happens to be a lot of grease in the ram body/chamber, if not, just a fiber and a shake before lubing. Now that the ram's clean, apply oil to the whole thing, especially Orings, and then apply a light coat (until you can see some residue, but not the color of the lube in patches) of the dow33 or synthetic based grease on the ram. If you own a Bob Long gun, use dow55 for new Orings, then go with the typical options stated perviously.

Valve/poppet: you almost NEVER need to touch this unless you own a marq, mini, axe or guns of the like. For those guns, use what's in the manual.

Valve and Poppet v2: some grease on the valve stem and spring, then drip oil into the valve.

Solenoid (It's usually between the frame and lower tube, but whatever):
Every 40-50 cases of paint cycled, put gun oil in it. Or you can crack it open and do the gun oil/grease mixture, but go VERY LIGHTLY on it. AVOID DOW55 AT ALL COSTS)

Upper Tube:

Bolt:
After every day of play, clean with fiber and rubbing alcohol, then either use a synthetic grease (lightly, get some in the Oring grooves and get it to the point where there's a little residue on the Orings and bolt, but not a full on layer) or dow33 based grease and some gun oil. Again, use the stuff lightly here. You just want an air seal, not to cause so much friction that the gun will explode (It won't, but that would be cool ) For Bob Long gun owners, go the dow55 route on new Orings, then just triflow or some gun oil afterwards until the bolt loses its friction with the breech.

Breech:
After every day of play, take a barrel swab, dip in rubbing alcohol (shake off so it's not soaking with it) and push all the way through the breech. Any that'll come off should clean the eyes and detents up as well. Then, dry out and rub some oil on the breech before putting the bolt in.

Eyes and Detents:
Rubbing alcohol, microfibers, slap back into place. Do this after every day if possible. Keeps **** going smoothly.

Now for the Spool Valves:

Main/Upper Body:
After every day of play (or 2 cases of paint, whichever comes first) take out the whole bolt engine, give it a douse of rubbing alcohol and then rub down with a towel until dry. Replace any loose or awkward Orings if so, then apply either a synthetic grease or a dow33 based grease. ONLY APPLY THE GREASE UNTIL THE BOLT AND ORINGS LOOK WET, you DO NOT want to see ANY of the grease's color unless it's being globbed on the bolt guide Orings. If you're ok with performing maintenance more often, get a thick lube like Kila Ice Cream and mix it with Gun oil. Does wonders, keeps **** slick, but it'll come off much faster. For sprung bolts, you have a bigger window of a "quality lube job" because there's no FSDO to happen unless you squeeze the whole ****ing tube of grease down the breech at once before a game (oh, please do it, just for fun, and record it for me too )

Solenoid Inserts (If it has ones that are to be removed and maintained):
Every 20 cases, remove, clean gently with microfiber, then apply grease. You can go hard on da paint here, but don't clog the filter or you fail.

Solenoid:
Every 40-50 cases, crack open (not literally) and drop some gun oil in there. should do the trick, make sure everything's working alright

Regulators:
Treat them like you would the poppet valve marker regulators (same **** anyways, right? )

Breech/eyes/detents:
Treat as you would the Poppet valve marker breeches. Just remove the eye covers and have at it with some Cotton pads and isopropyl/rubbing alcohol. Drop some Oil into the detents to prevent any potential sticking and push them a bit to get the oil behind the detent itself if they are sprung and not nubbins (like Shockers and Ions).

Bazam, there you go.

Lubes of choice:
MacDev Militia, Lurker Lube, Kila Ice Cream, TechT GunSav, Exalt Grease, Violent Grease, Superlube

Oils of choice:
AKALMP Extreme Lube, Violent Oil, Angel Love Juice, Exalt Oil, Air Tool Oil

DO NOT USE PETROLEUM BASED (anything "organic" as well) OILS/LUBRICANTS. IT WILL **** YOUR **** UP. Thank you.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!
LNIB PE HDEs - CHEAP - Need em gone!
It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"

Last edited by YeloSno : 10-14-2012 at 01:57 AM.
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 AM #2
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
reserved for videos and pics of random guns for examples.

BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
Old 03-29-2012, 04:13 AM #3
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
On Bob Long guns, (not sure about later models) you want to use triflow, or gun oil on the bolt. Not grease. I've also always been told to use 55 on the Bob Long torps as well.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 AM #4
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
For brand new guns (spoolie), I was told do bolt every 2-3 cases until you do this 5 times, then every day of play. Was this good advice? Got it from the owner of my local shop; but people tend to disagree. I've shot about 5 cases through it at this point, and haven't noticed a change in quality.

Great guide though
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM #5
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
If your a new player I suggest you read your manual and perform the maintenance as described. For most markers you can find videos on youtube of guys going through it step by step. The above post has sweeping generalizations that may or may not apply to your gun.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 AM #6
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
great thread, sticky?
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM #7
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
I know people should read manuals and whatnot, but this is what I typically do for guns when I don't have a manual, and even when I do, some of this tends to work a bit better than the manual suggests.

I don't understand the whole "never lubricate a plastic part" bull****. They wear out even faster if you don't. then you have some REAL problems and of course, dem chillens can't figure it out, sooo....

BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar

Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 AM #8
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
It's kinda like the WGP manual telling you to lube the bolt with Vaseline...not good to do, as it rapidly turns to black, paint-coated goo!
For poppets, I would mention oiling the striker (or rear bolt on a Tippmann). Just makes everything last longer and reduces wear.
Noah

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM #9
ActionExpress
Alex Williams

ActionExpress plays in the PSP
ActionExpress plays in the APPA Pro division
Good thread. I would just think about the solenoid maintenance part, you dont really have to touch the solenoid ever.
Dye Precision
Santa Clara Paintball
ActionExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 PM #10
Pyrate Jim

I play a lot of pump. If I waited to put 15-20 cases of paint through a marker, it wouldn't get rebuilt once a decade.
I tear down my markers anytime, the more often the better. Especially the ones I think I might be using soon.
It can't hurt, and the better I know how to put it together the better I can pinpoint and either repair or upgrade any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
I don't understand the whole "never lubricate a plastic part" bull****. They wear out even faster if you don't. then you have some REAL problems and of course, dem chillens can't figure it out, sooo....
I don't know about "never"...
But I know the plastic-on-plastic of a Splatmaster is best left dry. Any oil or grease just slows it down.
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 PM #11
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate Jim View Post
I play a lot of pump. If I waited to put 15-20 cases of paint through a marker, it wouldn't get rebuilt once a decade.
I tear down my markers anytime, the more often the better. Especially the ones I think I might be using soon.
It can't hurt, and the better I know how to put it together the better I can pinpoint and either repair or upgrade any issues.
I do too, even if it sits away for a long while, just to make sure everything is in perfect condition, but this info is for the people who aren't exactly... as much into the game, if you know what I mean. This is like what the minimum to keep things worth owning should be.

BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar

Old 03-30-2012, 01:50 AM #12
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionExpress View Post
Good thread. I would just think about the solenoid maintenance part, you dont really have to touch the solenoid ever.
I've had to lube plenty of spoolie noids. Some solenoids, like Timmys, can't be serviced, as they're magnetically sealed and tampering with it ruins them.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:31 AM #13
Trey A
TreyA

Annual Supporting Member
Trey A plays in the PSP
Trey A supports Team VICIOUS
Trey A supports Team VICIOUS
Trey A supports DLX Technology
wow, I didnt think you needed to do that much maintenance. This is a great thread i can see this being stickied when you get all the picture links to videos etc Thanks for the info
Trey A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:08 AM #14
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Very little maintenance actually.

20 cases is usually like half a year of playtime for many/most.

BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar

Last edited by YeloSno : 04-01-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 AM #15
GivenRandy

Annual Supporting Member
Depends on the type of gun. My DM12 needs more attention that an Ego11 would.
GivenRandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 PM #16
punkyfunky

good thread, thanks
punkyfunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 PM #17
JGARRIGUES0001

lube lightly but often... that's what i do. just make o-rings look wet
JGARRIGUES0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 PM #18
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenRandy View Post
Depends on the type of gun. My DM12 needs more attention that an Ego11 would.
Well, that's why, as you see, I've put up general info for spools separately from the poppets.

That begin said, of course some guns require more attention than others even in their respective categories, but these pointers are what should work universally. Not the best, but no where at all near the worst you can do.

BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar

Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 PM #19
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector View Post
For brand new guns (spoolie), I was told do bolt every 2-3 cases until you do this 5 times, then every day of play. Was this good advice? Got it from the owner of my local shop; but people tend to disagree. I've shot about 5 cases through it at this point, and haven't noticed a change in quality.

Great guide though
5 is quite a bit for a spoolie. If anything, you're kind of pushing the limit, I'd say another case and you will notice what a dry engine will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
If your a new player I suggest you read your manual and perform the maintenance as described. For most markers you can find videos on youtube of guys going through it step by step. The above post has sweeping generalizations that may or may not apply to your gun.
Pretty much. Well, they can apply to your gun, but you should take the info with a grain of salt. Depending on the lube or engine type, you may need a bit more or a bit less attention.

BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar

Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 AM #20
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
cleaned some stuff up, expanded on this on my website.

BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar

Old 08-11-2012, 01:09 AM #21
JD9940
Forever an AA's Fan

JD9940 supports Cereal Killerz 2
JD9940 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
JD9940 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
JD9940 plays in the APPA D4 division
JD9940 supports DLX Technology
no way you need to lube a noid that often
maybe once every 100 cases