DaytonLax14 helped look for balloons
where in the world did you read that
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2012, 06:23 AM #128
procyonwarrior

procyonwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
procyonwarrior has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Some article or book I had to read for seminary, after awhile you just forget which is which. To me it makes sense with Halloween and everything else. I believe in spiritual warfare and Halloween is flat out a pagan ritual. The history behind it is very disturbing and some of those practices are still going on today. What is interesting is that "they" mentioned that Thanksgiving and even Christmas can cause issues with many Christians because people can become very selfish with certain things. The article commented that with all the food and the environment that is had people want to just spend time with family and not go to church and with Christmas the desire to get the "best gift ever" can plague anybody at any age.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 AM #129
RLN

RLN donated to help Peyton Trent
RLN owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RLN has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RLN has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I disagree with Halloween being flat out pagan. It began as a Christian event and very little evidence can support the whole pagan roots idea. In fact the whole Winter solstice or harvest that some churches replace Halloween with is more in line with pagan roots....how ironic. However, the Halloween today in particular the US is very different from how it was celebrated hundreds of years ago. Like other Christian Holidays most notably Christmas it has become secularized and commercialized and meanings of these events are distorted or lost altogether.

As for the lack of attendence around October I see the opposite affect. Its around June or summer when I see a decline in church attendance.
Christ Krew#291Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=383004
RLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM #130
DaytonLax14
Corey Stevens

DaytonLax14 donated to help Peyton Trent
DaytonLax14 helped look for balloons
does anyone know where that christian team, fireproof, is based out of? I know they're somewhere in Ohio but I don't know what region. I'm thinking about getting back into tournament paintball and lookin for dudes to play with
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM #131
markcheb
surrender...don't move

I dunno this guy, on MCB (i had just seen a post of his) but he has that name in his sig. Maybe he has the same screenname here?
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM #132
procyonwarrior

procyonwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
procyonwarrior has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLN View Post
I disagree with Halloween being flat out pagan. It began as a Christian event and very little evidence can support the whole pagan roots idea. In fact the whole Winter solstice or harvest that some churches replace Halloween with is more in line with pagan roots....how ironic. However, the Halloween today in particular the US is very different from how it was celebrated hundreds of years ago. Like other Christian Holidays most notably Christmas it has become secularized and commercialized and meanings of these events are distorted or lost altogether.

As for the lack of attendence around October I see the opposite affect. Its around June or summer when I see a decline in church attendance.
This is from the Encyclopaedia Britannica "In ancient Britain and Ireland, the Celtic Festival of Samhain was observed on October 31, at the end of summer…. The souls of the dead were supposed to revisit their homes on this day and the autumnal festival acquired sinister significance, with ghosts, witches, goblins, black cats, fairies and demons of all kinds said to be roaming about. It was the time to placate the supernatural powers controlling the processes of nature. In addition, Halloween was thought to be the most favorable time for divinations concerning marriage, luck, health, and death. It was the only day on which the help of the devil was invoked for such purposes." Brother I have witnessed several practices that happens around Halloween time that involves witchcraft and the likes of them. There is a deeper aspect to Halloween then most think. I do agree that the summer time attendance drop but I think that is influenced by other things.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM #133
RLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by procyonwarrior View Post
This is from the Encyclopaedia Britannica "In ancient Britain and Ireland, the Celtic Festival of Samhain was observed on October 31, at the end of summer…. The souls of the dead were supposed to revisit their homes on this day and the autumnal festival acquired sinister significance, with ghosts, witches, goblins, black cats, fairies and demons of all kinds said to be roaming about. It was the time to placate the supernatural powers controlling the processes of nature. In addition, Halloween was thought to be the most favorable time for divinations concerning marriage, luck, health, and death. It was the only day on which the help of the devil was invoked for such purposes." Brother I have witnessed several practices that happens around Halloween time that involves witchcraft and the likes of them. There is a deeper aspect to Halloween then most think. I do agree that the summer time attendance drop but I think that is influenced by other things.
Halloween is really only practiced in the US today. Here: http://www.crossroadsinitiative.com/...Halloween.html
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM #134
RLN

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/hal...-Halloween.htm

Above is another link with resources cited at the bottom. I do not doubt that all this satanic stuff happens during Halloween by people practicing satanic rituals but we should not confuse facts and truth from what everyone else believes.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM #135
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Personally I don't think a day of the year can have any power in itself. If we decide to celebrate something on Halloween (reformed churches celebrate reformation day) then that will soon enough replace the meaning for us and therefore the power, same as what happened with both Christmas and Easter. So rather than refusing to celebrate Halloween I say we hijack it. Send your kids out in costume, whatever, just make sure that *you* are celebrating what you want to celebrate, even if it's just for a laugh. I'm happy to eat food sacrificed to idols after all.

In many ways this is the same thing that has happened to Christmas. Commercial interests have effectively stripped it of its Christian meaning outside the church. I don't see why the same thing can't happen to Halloween (it already has to some extent).

When we get worked up about it we are mostly just reinforcing the original meaning.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM #136
xDarkk
Cool enough

xDarkk has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Personally I don't think a day of the year can have any power in itself. If we decide to celebrate something on Halloween (reformed churches celebrate reformation day) then that will soon enough replace the meaning for us and therefore the power, same as what happened with both Christmas and Easter. So rather than refusing to celebrate Halloween I say we hijack it. Send your kids out in costume, whatever, just make sure that *you* are celebrating what you want to celebrate, even if it's just for a laugh. I'm happy to eat food sacrificed to idols after all.

In many ways this is the same thing that has happened to Christmas. Commercial interests have effectively stripped it of its Christian meaning outside the church. I don't see why the same thing can't happen to Halloween (it already has to some extent).

When we get worked up about it we are mostly just reinforcing the original meaning.

xDarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 PM #137
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

So I'm not sure, but I may be missing out on jobs because one of my referees is telling prospective employers that I'm a homophobe (since I don't agree with gay marriage as they already have equal rights here via civil unions and it's just a semantic change). I have a few reasons to believe this is the case.

Apparently this makes me a bad person and my career should therefore be sabotaged. Needless to say I've removed his name from my CV. He used to be a good friend who simply disagreed on a few things.

If true (and I can't really confirm it yet) then this would be the first time I've experienced honest to goodness discrimination due to my political and religious position. I've been called names and such for it before, but never actually suffered for it.

Has anyone else here been persecuted in one way or another for their beliefs or ideas?

Last edited by vijil : 11-18-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 PM #138
RLN

@Vijil - Stay strong brother. Christ did tell us this will happen to his followers. Personally I never really felt persecuted directly because of my beliefs. I feel it more indirectly due to the political climate which challenges my religious beliefs by making legal what I believe to not be moral according to God's law.

Of course I've been attacked by other "christians" or "quasi-Christian" groups because of my beliefs but that is more on an intellectual level that I can easily have a discussion on. I've never been outright persecuted for my beliefs like you are going through. I'll pray for you brother and all our fellow Christians who are being persecuted in this world that rejects Christ and so rejects us.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM #139
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Indeed it will only get worse, that much is prophecy. It certainly wont get better any time soon.

While Christians may disagree on many things, we'll soon have far bigger problems to deal with.

[edit] I've done some digging and looks like this recent job issue wasn't caused by what I thought. More to do with the company having issues. That's a relief really.

Last edited by vijil : 11-19-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 AM #140
xDarkk
Cool enough

I saw this on facebook, whether or not it is real or not, it is an interesting read.

"Apparently the White House referred to Christmas Trees as “Holiday Trees” for the first time this year which prompted CBS presenter, Ben Stein, to present this piece which I would like to share with you. I think it applies just as much to many countries as it does to America . . .

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.

My confession:

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejewelled trees, Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are, Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, “Merry Christmas” to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a crib, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where these celebrities came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her: “How could God let something like this happen?” (regarding Hurricane Katrina). Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said: “I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?”

In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbour as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said okay.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing yet?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit.

If not, then just discard it.... no one will know you did. But if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in.

My Best Regards, Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein"
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM #141
markcheb
surrender...don't move

^^ dawt.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 PM #142
KREYZEE
A GOOD OLE GUY w/ an Axe!

What up peeps!!! It's been a long while since I have been on here.. Most prob dont even remember me lol!! Just wanted to say hi and God bless!!!
†††Christ†Krew#283†††
NO JESUS NO PEACE KNOW JESUS KNOW PEACE
GO MICHIGAN
KREYZEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 AM #143
RLN

Holiday Trees....haha...pretty soon the word "Holiday" will also be removed given it's origins.

But seriously what do Christians expect? If we Christians elect politicians who are against are very own Christian morality we shouldn't expect them to act any other way.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 AM #144
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Fighting politically against laws we don't agree with is too little, too late - getting such laws turned down is a bandaid on a broken leg. The problem is that society got this way in the first place, and we let it.

That said, it was gonna happen.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:21 AM #145
RLN

In the US which includes Guam the reality is Christians have slowly given up on their faith and have replaced zeal for the faith with complacency and a Christian faith content without stepping outside of comfort zones and becoming more and more liberal. If America is predominantly Christian and yet our elected politicians are anti-Christian in their policies and actions than the blame is on Christians themselves who vote not based on the criteria of their Christian morals but on what is "popular."

The actions of the US government is merely a reflection of the weakness of American Christianity.

Europe is no different.

Christianity has influenced Western Civilization for the past 2000+ years. It has contributed to the growth of Western Society. As Christianity goes on a decline we see the West becoming weaker as well. It was Christianity that kept opposite beliefs/idealogies at bay such as communism and islamic radicalism. I wonder how far will western society fall before the realization that Christianity has always been a good thing.

Our role is to believe as Scripture shows that God loves all of us and that He wins in the end. We just remain faithful to our calling and continue to fight the good fight doing our part in God's salvation of humanity.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:31 AM #146
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

I have a friend here from the states at the moment.

He made the point the other day that here in NZ very few people will actually call themselves Christians in conversations. He contrasted that to his experience in the states where everyone is basically Christian by default. Funny thing is there's probably about the same percentage of active Christians in both countries.

In a way it makes our job here in NZ easier since we're not witnessing to people who already consider themselves "Christian", so we don't have to first convince them that they're not!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:36 PM #147
xDarkk
Cool enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
I have a friend here from the states at the moment.

He made the point the other day that here in NZ very few people will actually call themselves Christians in conversations. He contrasted that to his experience in the states where everyone is basically Christian by default. Funny thing is there's probably about the same percentage of active Christians in both countries.

In a way it makes our job here in NZ easier since we're not witnessing to people who already consider themselves "Christian", so we don't have to first convince them that they're not!
I agree. Almost everyone I know will claim to be Christian but very few are active Christians. I think that a lot of people here in the states claim that so that they don't have to hear about Christianity. It also doesn't help how much of a rush our entire culture is in. But Christianity has become just so washed out in our culture that people just thinking living here and being nice people on a daily basis makes them a Christian. It's sad really.

Every time I hear a politician talk about God this...God that I find myself scoffing and wandering just what they believe. Usually it's just to say what people want to here. They can say God this, and people just snap to the reaction of "oh he is a Christian, he must be the good/right guy." /rant

Hope you all have a blessed thanksgiving! Eat lots! No regrets lol