PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-25-2014, 12:13 PM #1072
Kindred
Be Strong (1 Kings 2:1-3)

has been a member for 10 years
Glad to help out if possible. I think the mistake a lot of men do is they try to walk this path alone and tough it out. Problem is we don't live in a vacumn no matter how much we try.

Yeah Ive been in going on 9 years and for the most part I love it. Our Squadron Commander just got fired which is making my life SO much better. Now the people who deserve promotions/work will be rewarded not just the people who have been on base the longest.

As for the outside stuff: Eliminate distractions, focus on the goal(or make one if you don't have one) and make it happen. If it's not positive or helpin you reach your goal nix it.

I write for a men's group over at www.blogofmanly.com Check us out sometime as well we discuss all sorts of good things

Romans 10:9-10

Integrity.Service.Excellence
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 PM #1073
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
I have a lot of respect for my current cc, but I feel he's not getting the whole story about his squadron's current climate. Morale is very low, rewards are on the buddy system, and punishments are sweeping and unjust.

There are a few good leaders in my squadron though, but they aren't getting the credit they deserve for the work they do. As such, I constantly feel less than adequate because it's all I hear. I know I carry a good chunk of our work load, yet I get no credit for it.

I'm trying to figure out what my goal is, I've had so many for so long. Whatever gets me out of this squadron into a better work environment is my ultimate goal, but it's so broad.

I'm flipping through the site, some good stuff
OSTT GURU
Gaming PC Part Out
akward silence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM #1074
excope
Legacy of 806

Annual Supporting Member
excope is BST Legit
excope owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
excope is for the Gunfight
excope has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
excope supports DLX Technology
excope supports Empire
I have a question for you more versed members. After the past few services at Church I have done some deep thinking. Pastor has touched on our callings and what God has planned for us. I have been having a sudden want/need to get into Ministry but I have no idea in what area or how to start. Thought about talking to my Pastor about it when I get a chance. My biggest reserve is my general lack of Bible knowledge. Here again, Pastor had shot that excuse down, with Scripture of course. I don't have any problems speaking to people or crowds either.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:39 PM #1075
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by excope View Post
I have a question for you more versed members. After the past few services at Church I have done some deep thinking. Pastor has touched on our callings and what God has planned for us. I have been having a sudden want/need to get into Ministry but I have no idea in what area or how to start. Thought about talking to my Pastor about it when I get a chance. My biggest reserve is my general lack of Bible knowledge. Here again, Pastor had shot that excuse down, with Scripture of course. I don't have any problems speaking to people or crowds either.

I'm not sure how old you are, but get more involved with your church's youth group. I went to this church in high school that would do a wednesday jr. high/high school service. After the main sermon you would break off into smaller groups. I volunteered to lead a jr high group, and it was great. I miss that period of my life so much.

It goes without saying the life of a minister is not an easy one. I come from a family of ministers/leaders/etc, my father and I live much easier lives because we broke from the Church to join the military.
OSTT GURU
Gaming PC Part Out
Old 02-25-2014, 02:13 PM #1076
Kindred

Quote:

While you don't "need" formal training I highly encourage it. Sit under your Pastor, learn your Bible, learn Apologetics (if you don't know what that is time to crack the books) get involved at church and start serving/working. Going to college isn't a necessity especially with how much it costs but I did love going. I went to Liberty University and they have an awesome online program.

I will also echo what silence said and say the role of a Pastor is a painful one. I have never been more hurt by people then when I was a Pastor. I wrote about my experiences here. http://www.blogofmanly.com/2013/08/1...uld-go-anyway/

PS: I swear I am not here trying to advertise I just feel its relevant. Last time for awhile!

Old 02-25-2014, 02:31 PM #1077
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

That's a very depressing story, but sadly it doesn't surprise me.
OSTT GURU
Gaming PC Part Out
Old 02-25-2014, 04:28 PM #1078
stickin2j
Good clean family fun

stickin2j has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
stickin2j has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'd like to add that you don't have to be a pastor to be in ministry. My dad was always a worship leader, as well as deacon, usher, Sunday school/small group teacher, and almost any other position you could fill at one time or another. He mentored a number of guys outside of the walls of the church, too. At his funeral last month, we had at least 25 ordained pastors in attendance, including 6 that were honored to participate in the various parts of the service. Each gave a story of how he was one of, if not the best, representations of Christ on earth. He never attended any formal classes on how to be a minister, rather, he did his best to live as he thought Christ would live. Don't worry too much about your lack of knowledge in the scripture. Read the Bible, but more importantly, live the Bible, especially Matt. 22:37-39. Pray without ceasing. This doesn't mean that you should always be on your knees at the altar, but constantly be in communication with God, even if it's a simple thanks for a ray of sunshine, or each drop of rain.

Talk to your pastor and find out where he/the church needs help. If he says nothing needs to be done, talk to the youth pastor, then the Sunday school leader, and so on and so on, until you find a ministry that does need help. Don't be afraid to clean a few toilets instead of standing on the stage. Instead of starting a whole paintball ministry, invite the one guy that's kind of new to the town/church. If he doesn't want to play paintball, find some other way to invest your life into his. I can promise that living like Christ will speak louder than any sermon ever spoken.

I know this song is a little older, so I don't know how many of you have heard it, but I can truly imagine it being my dad, and there still being a line after 7 weeks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFrdJ2V3r7Y
Christ Krew #293
stickin2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 PM #1079
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

I'm sorry for your loss, friend. It appears he was a blessing on this earth.
OSTT GURU
Gaming PC Part Out
Old 02-25-2014, 05:16 PM #1080
markcheb
surrender...don't move

Indeed it does and stickin2j (sorry brother the older I get the worse I am with names ) you're right about ministry in different terms as your father seems to have exemplified. Thanks for sharing.

Colin -
Quote:
Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
It goes without saying the life of a minister is not an easy one. I come from a family of ministers/leaders/etc, my father and I live much easier lives because we broke from the Church to join the military.
While I could see myself agreeing with the first sentence, I'm a bit confused by this statement in light of your most recent postings. It doesn't sound like life is easy for you in the military. Not trying to be critical or saying you should have gone into the pastorate but just thought it might needed to be pointed out.

Also to goals, I believe trying to figure out what those are can be a huge step to a beginning but I believe your goal of getting into another squadron is setting the bar kinda low. I would rate that more as a desire than a goal, at least in the sense that I would encourage you in setting goals. It sounds like you have a good work ethic and take pride in your work which are good but I doubt that these came about just because of your desire to be in another squadron, I hope that makes sense. I wouldn't want to see you sell yourself short by limiting yourself to short term goals that may or may not bring satisfaction.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 PM #1081
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

My life, compared to my uncle (a minister), is a walk in the park.
OSTT GURU
Gaming PC Part Out
Old 02-25-2014, 05:54 PM #1082
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
GhostJedai is BST Trusted
GhostJedai has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai is Legendary
GhostJedai is attending Decay of Nations VII
GhostJedai supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
My life, compared to my uncle (a minister), is a walk in the park.
My life compared to my parents is similarly "easy". My dad has been self-employed for the past 25-odd years, and two or three Christmases resulted in IOUs for gifts.

Currently, I'm working for a Fortune 500 company and working on my Master's, married to a woman who also has a full time job, with benefits, etc. (I should mention that we almost never had health insurance growing up).

While this isn't to say that my problems were "easier" than my parents, but they were different and required a completely different set of skills/traits to overcome.

So, I'm just saying, don't shortchange yourself (or your problems) just because they're different than those of someone else.

Now, if your problems are "I don't know if I should get the GSL or a DM14", then yes, shortchange your problems.... and give me the DM14
Christ Krew #17

GhostJedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:33 PM #1083
RLN

RLN donated to help Peyton Trent
RLN owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RLN has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RLN has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hey vijil did you see the new Tippmann TCR?
http://paintball.tippmann.com/blog/b...-from-Tippmann

Loving the discussions brothers. God bless.
Christ Krew#291Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=383004
RLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:53 PM #1084
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostJedai View Post
My life compared to my parents is similarly "easy". My dad has been self-employed for the past 25-odd years, and two or three Christmases resulted in IOUs for gifts.

Currently, I'm working for a Fortune 500 company and working on my Master's, married to a woman who also has a full time job, with benefits, etc. (I should mention that we almost never had health insurance growing up).

While this isn't to say that my problems were "easier" than my parents, but they were different and required a completely different set of skills/traits to overcome.

So, I'm just saying, don't shortchange yourself (or your problems) just because they're different than those of someone else.

Now, if your problems are "I don't know if I should get the GSL or a DM14", then yes, shortchange your problems.... and give me the DM14
It's tough to see the struggle he constantly endures and to not be thankful for what I have. He has 5 children, a wife finishing her masters, and no lucrative employment.

I have a diverse retirement portfolio, 2 rather expensive vehicles, a very stable income, a wife with a stable income, and PLENTY of money to burn. Sure, I feel lonely all the time, but money does buy happiness in Hawaii.
OSTT GURU
Gaming PC Part Out
Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 PM #1085
excope
Legacy of 806

Annual Supporting Member
excope is BST Legit
excope owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
excope is for the Gunfight
excope has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
excope supports DLX Technology
excope supports Empire
Thanks for the input fellas. I don't really have any idea how/when I may try to do something in the field of Ministry. My work keeps on the road a lot so I miss more than I would like. On a plus side though, it does allow me loads of time for study.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 AM #1086
Kindred

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Indeed it does and stickin2j (sorry brother the older I get the worse I am with names ) you're right about ministry in different terms as your father seems to have exemplified. Thanks for sharing.

Colin -

While I could see myself agreeing with the first sentence, I'm a bit confused by this statement in light of your most recent postings. It doesn't sound like life is easy for you in the military. Not trying to be critical or saying you should have gone into the pastorate but just thought it might needed to be pointed out.

Also to goals, I believe trying to figure out what those are can be a huge step to a beginning but I believe your goal of getting into another squadron is setting the bar kinda low. I would rate that more as a desire than a goal, at least in the sense that I would encourage you in setting goals. It sounds like you have a good work ethic and take pride in your work which are good but I doubt that these came about just because of your desire to be in another squadron, I hope that makes sense. I wouldn't want to see you sell yourself short by limiting yourself to short term goals that may or may not bring satisfaction.
What he said.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM #1087
stickin2j
Good clean family fun

stickin2j has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
stickin2j has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Indeed it does and stickin2j (sorry brother the older I get the worse I am with names )

And thank you for the condolences, gentlemen.
Christ Krew #293
stickin2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM #1088
procyonwarrior

procyonwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
procyonwarrior has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

First of all, this is awesome!!!!!!! that you have felt challenged in your church...a lot of churches lack this and you feel convicted, not quilted into serving the Body...again I applauded this. First thing is first though, realize that there will always be another person you can quote more Bible verses than you. Secondly, when you start doing ministry you don't have to lead it!
So many people feel they have a calling to serve and so they go into seminary before they have a clue on what capacity this "calling" is. Sometimes those people ge burned out and overwhelmed by the sheer responsibility and they can even get bitter to God and the church. Your calling may only be for a season or could be stepping stones to becoming fully involved in your church. Take the time to pray and pray BOLDLY about this. Shorter prayers I find are the best in times like this. Such as, "God, if you are calling me to serve show me where and give me no excuses for not doing what you are calling me to do." Say that prayer or something like it honestly and I'm sure, no, I promise God will show you wear. It could something as simple as working in the nursery, youth group, or hey (don't know how old you are and how involved you are) but volunteering to watch some kids of parents who haven't been on a date for years, I do that in my church to help the parents out. Third, never doubt your impact. God has called us and equipped us to serve in some aspect of the church. When we doubt this we doubt the very aspect of salvation and bringing God glory through the gifts he has already blessed us with. 1 Peter 4:7-11 shows this to be true. Baby steps brother, baby steps.

Last edited by procyonwarrior : 02-26-2014 at 10:01 AM.
procyonwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:10 PM #1089
duos_scythe
Luke 12: 4-6

duos_scythe owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
duos_scythe posts videos on PbNation
duos_scythe has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
duos_scythe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
duos_scythe is Legendary
I'm looking at youth ministry for middle and high school. Wouldn't mind adding young adult to the scope either.

If you are thinking about ministry go for it! God doesn't always get the most qualified person to do the job, He calls the one who He is able to work through the most.

I had a couple young kids in Honduras as about my tattoo on my forearm (it's the Icthus) and then my 8 gauge plugs. And it was a great teaching moment to tell them, it doesn't matter what you look like as long as you have Jesus in your heart.

To all of you guys in the military, Thank you! I was not able to join due to the amount of dependants I had. Too bad because I had a great ASVAB.
Christ Krew Member #46 / Matthew 10:32-33
Kryptonice 3.1 / Spire / Ninja 68 - Not F/S!
TC Paintball / CRU Paintball
duos_scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:27 PM #1090
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

I've got a bit of ink as well, it's all glorifying the Lord actually. Well, minus my flags. USA & Texas on my ribs to keep me humble.

It's good you didn't join. This stuff sucks. I can't believe I had to approach a senior leader about his bad choices. What the heck?!
OSTT GURU
Gaming PC Part Out
Old 03-01-2014, 07:36 AM #1091
procyonwarrior

procyonwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
procyonwarrior has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't like it when I have the day to play its cloudy and cold and when I can't play its sunny and warm, why does God curse me like that :/ jk
Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 AM #1092
mason_98
Team Fokai

Just dropping in to say, "What's Up Christ Krew?" Haven't been on here since ever since! I've missed all of you. Thanks for keeping this thread alive and kicking! Talk to you all later.
mason_98 is offline   Reply With Quote