Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 AM #442
RLN
 
 
RLN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Guam
RLN donated to help Peyton Trent
RLN owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RLN has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RLN has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Never really thought about it. I don't believe in being cruel to animals. But I love to eat meat and I hope to learn how to hunt one day so people may say I am cruel and a hypocrite. By the way I like my veggies too.
__________________
Christ Krew#291Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=383004
RLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 AM #443
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot
 
vijil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
We are called to be good stewards of creation, and it's clear that biblical characters (including Jesus) ate meat.

As such there is no biblical mandate for veganism or vegetarianism on a moral level, though I would argue that there is a mandate not to overfish or hunt to extinction as this constitutes bad stewardship. Animal rights and liberation are not found in scripture beyond this.

That's the strictly Christian point of view, which I follow. I don't think there's anything *wrong* with veganism, though it certainly is unhealthy if not done carefully - and we're not supposed to abuse ourselves.

Back to rights and liberation - biblically, humans are dominant, and we have been given dominion over nature. In that sense it is a non issue so long as stewardship is observed.

However rights/liberation types are normally more interested in animal suffering and alleviating it. The fact is however that the vast majority of fauna do not "feel" pain in the sense that we do - they have a certain response to a pain input, but are not capable of being aware of the fact they are feeling pain because they are not self aware in the first place. In all likelihood there are less than ten animals that can actually do this as we do. As such, pain for them is not the same as pain for us. Our empathic response (which can be very strong depending on the fluffy cuteness of the animal in question) is largely irrelevant.

The level at which an animal feels pain varies depending on the animal. Humans *experience* pain, and appear to be the only creatures (besides maybe dolphins and whales and one or two apes) that actually do so. It goes on a scale all the way down to insects, which don't feel pain any more than a computer program "feels" like saying "hello world". It's just pure input>output, stimulus>response. You cannot torture a snail even in theory - they are programmed to squirm and try to get away, but they feel no pain. A dog feels a version of pain that is closer to us, but is still *very* different - we empathise, but our empathy is based on false assumptions. A dolphin or whale can on the other hand be genuinely tortured.

The main reason to be nice to animals is actually because cruelty harms us psychologically. I mean just thinking about it sucks . I definitely don't support it.

Last edited by vijil : 03-01-2013 at 12:19 AM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM #444
automagsrule
LOIC
 
automagsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Monkey Island
what is your opinion of the Christian Vegetarian movement? they assert there was no death or suffering before the fall and there is no death or suffering in heaven so they choose not to perpetuate it here on earth. Also they often quote 1 Cor 6:9 and the like "your body is a temple" and then link many of the health benefits of a vegan Mediterranean diet.

Also what is your opinion regarding those who oppose veg*nism based on 1 Timothy 4:1-5 which says abstaining from food provided by God (expressly meat in some translations, I haven't read the original Greek text to discern which is more accurate) is to be led astray.

edit: also pigs are on the short list of self aware animals, yet factory farming practices mutilate and kill them by the millions each year. How do you feel about that?
__________________

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:45 PM #445
procyonwarrior
 
 
procyonwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Smithfiled Va
procyonwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
procyonwarrior has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
All I know is God made me with teeth to chew meat, a stomach to digest it and a tongue that loves it!

We are called to be setwards of the earth and even our bodies. Can you over do it with eating meat and not enough vegs. SURE YOU CAN but your body can also loose the ability to digest foods by taking supplements. I know too many vegan people who have no energy at all, and I know too many meat eaters that have limited energy as well. Eat well, stay active, live long.
__________________
procyonwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:45 PM #446
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot
 
vijil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
I have no problem with Christians who are vegetarians, but when they assert that vegetarianism is more holy or better or whatever (and thereby subtly assert that eating meat is less holy) they are stepping well outside the bounds of both biblical and rational authority.

The lack of death and suffering before the fall is completely irrelevant. It's a massive and unjustified theological stretch to get from that to preaching vegetarianism. If God meant us to take it that way, Jesus or one of the apostles would have preached it as they had exactly the same information. They didn't, nor were they vegetarian. They showed no signs of even beginning to think that way.

I don't have problems with killing self aware animals, done sustainably. Our primary moral duty is towards humans and God.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 PM #447
xDarkk
Cool enough
 
xDarkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rock Hill, SC
xDarkk has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
We are called to be good stewards of creation, and it's clear that biblical characters (including Jesus) ate meat.

As such there is no biblical mandate for veganism or vegetarianism on a moral level, though I would argue that there is a mandate not to overfish or hunt to extinction as this constitutes bad stewardship. Animal rights and liberation are not found in scripture beyond this.

That's the strictly Christian point of view, which I follow. I don't think there's anything *wrong* with veganism, though it certainly is unhealthy if not done carefully - and we're not supposed to abuse ourselves.

Back to rights and liberation - biblically, humans are dominant, and we have been given dominion over nature. In that sense it is a non issue so long as stewardship is observed.

However rights/liberation types are normally more interested in animal suffering and alleviating it. The fact is however that the vast majority of fauna do not "feel" pain in the sense that we do - they have a certain response to a pain input, but are not capable of being aware of the fact they are feeling pain because they are not self aware in the first place. In all likelihood there are less than ten animals that can actually do this as we do. As such, pain for them is not the same as pain for us. Our empathic response (which can be very strong depending on the fluffy cuteness of the animal in question) is largely irrelevant.

The level at which an animal feels pain varies depending on the animal. Humans *experience* pain, and appear to be the only creatures (besides maybe dolphins and whales and one or two apes) that actually do so. It goes on a scale all the way down to insects, which don't feel pain any more than a computer program "feels" like saying "hello world". It's just pure input>output, stimulus>response. You cannot torture a snail even in theory - they are programmed to squirm and try to get away, but they feel no pain. A dog feels a version of pain that is closer to us, but is still *very* different - we empathise, but our empathy is based on false assumptions. A dolphin or whale can on the other hand be genuinely tortured.

The main reason to be nice to animals is actually because cruelty harms us psychologically. I mean just thinking about it sucks . I definitely don't support it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procyonwarrior View Post
All I know is God made me with teeth to chew meat, a stomach to digest it and a tongue that loves it!

We are called to be setwards of the earth and even our bodies. Can you over do it with eating meat and not enough vegs. SURE YOU CAN but your body can also loose the ability to digest foods by taking supplements. I know too many vegan people who have no energy at all, and I know too many meat eaters that have limited energy as well. Eat well, stay active, live long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
I have no problem with Christians who are vegetarians, but when they assert that vegetarianism is more holy or better or whatever (and thereby subtly assert that eating meat is less holy) they are stepping well outside the bounds of both biblical and rational authority.

The lack of death and suffering before the fall is completely irrelevant. It's a massive and unjustified theological stretch to get from that to preaching vegetarianism. If God meant us to take it that way, Jesus or one of the apostles would have preached it as they had exactly the same information. They didn't, nor were they vegetarian. They showed no signs of even beginning to think that way.

I don't have problems with killing self aware animals, done sustainably. Our primary moral duty is towards humans and God.



Good question automags

I have to agree with what is being said here. I really don't have much to contribute...other than the fact that I LOVE a good steak cooked medium rare
xDarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 PM #448
duos_scythe
Luke 12: 4-6
 
duos_scythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alanson, MI.
duos_scythe owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
duos_scythe posts videos on PbNation
duos_scythe has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
duos_scythe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
duos_scythe is Legendary
There is a place for all of God's creatures, on my dinner plate next to my mashed potatoes.

Genesis 1:28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

We are stewards of God's creation, including human life.
I have no problem when people chose not to eat this or that based on health, or preference. But when they say it is for religious reasons I get a big red flag. I did a 21 day Daniel Fast (no meat, dairy, sugars etc.) and it really opened my eyes to how food can become a block to our spiritual walk. Most of us (Americans) do not ever really have the feeling of hunger, we stuff our faces full of whatever we can pop a lid on or zap in the microwave. If we took the time we stuff are faces and start feeding ourselves with The Living Word we would be better off in our faith and our waistlines would more than likely be smaller.


I also love a good medium rare Delmonico marbled steak on a charcoal grill, with some asparagus on the side.




So I'm thinking about selling off the pump cocker I just finished less than a month ago to fund getting a tablet. Going to be amping up my Biblical training and thinking about taking some classes. So if you know anyone looking for a cocker pump.... let me know. Still on the fence though.
__________________

Follow BASIC on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
Christ Krew Member #46
1 John 4:19 We love Him, because He first loved us.
duos_scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM #449
xDarkk
Cool enough
 
xDarkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rock Hill, SC
xDarkk has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by duos_scythe View Post
There is a place for all of God's creatures, on my dinner plate next to my mashed potatoes.

Lol

I also love a good medium rare Delmonico marbled steak on a charcoal grill, with some asparagus on the side.

Well I just ate breakfast and now I am hungry again...


So I'm thinking about selling off the pump cocker I just finished less than a month ago to fund getting a tablet. Going to be amping up my Biblical training and thinking about taking some classes. So if you know anyone looking for a cocker pump.... let me know. Still on the fence though.

I can post in pump OT and see if any of the guys there are interested. If you make a thread for it pm me
I don't have class until 2 today! boom.
xDarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 PM #450
duos_scythe
Luke 12: 4-6
 
duos_scythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alanson, MI.
duos_scythe owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
duos_scythe posts videos on PbNation
duos_scythe has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
duos_scythe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
duos_scythe is Legendary
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3946076
__________________

Follow BASIC on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
Christ Krew Member #46
1 John 4:19 We love Him, because He first loved us.
duos_scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:34 AM #451
UM_Midman87
 
 
UM_Midman87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mobile, AL
UM_Midman87 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
UM_Midman87 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Good morning, brothers. What is the criteria to join this group?
__________________
OMNES OBSERVATE, NULLIUM TEMETE
UM_Midman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM #452
procyonwarrior
 
 
procyonwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Smithfiled Va
procyonwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
procyonwarrior has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
Ive been meaning to pose this question for a while. I originally considered making this its own thread but decided not to because
1. I don't know if there is enough substance in this discussion to carry a thread
2. The answer can be greatly influenced by one's faith

So I figured Id just pose the question within the thread. Anyways enough blathering:

What is everyone's opinion in this thread regarding animal rights, animal liberation and veganism?

So I'm late to the question and I might repeat what others have said. But, animals don't have rights, they don't vote. I'm not trying to make a joke but I fail to see how animals have "rights" to me rights are things established for people by people. Some rights are of course God give, which almost every single founding father believed in. However, a people who does respect life should respect all matters of life, whether it is a human life or animal or even a thing that does not think, such as a tree. As some, I'm sure have mentioned, we are called to be stewards of God's creation and God has given us dominion over such creation. The problem is when people claim animals have more rights then humans or treat animals better then they treat other people. When that happens we have come to a place when human life is not valued and yet it was "man" that was created in the image of God, not a dog or some other animal. And so there is a distinction between humans and other animals. To say that mankind is just another living animal on earth is great depreciation of the very image of God.
__________________
procyonwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM #453
automagsrule
LOIC
 
automagsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Monkey Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by procyonwarrior View Post
So I'm late to the question and I might repeat what others have said. But, animals don't have rights, they don't vote. I'm not trying to make a joke but I fail to see how animals have "rights" to me rights are things established for people by people. Some rights are of course God give, which almost every single founding father believed in. However, a people who does respect life should respect all matters of life, whether it is a human life or animal or even a thing that does not think, such as a tree. As some, I'm sure have mentioned, we are called to be stewards of God's creation and God has given us dominion over such creation. The problem is when people claim animals have more rights then humans or treat animals better then they treat other people. When that happens we have come to a place when human life is not valued and yet it was "man" that was created in the image of God, not a dog or some other animal. And so there is a distinction between humans and other animals. To say that mankind is just another living animal on earth is great depreciation of the very image of God.
Animals clearly have rights, such as the right to not be subjected to unnecessary cruelty. People claiming animal rights activists want to put animals above humans are setting up straw man arguments.

Also I'll assert that because livestock farming is so inefficient and wasteful, good stewardship of the planet would be a vegan diet.
__________________

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton

Last edited by automagsrule : 03-07-2013 at 12:39 PM.
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 PM #454
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot
 
vijil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Animals clearly have rights, such as the right to not be subjected to unnecessary cruelty.
You need to qualify this statement. There is nothing clear about it. There is no biblical basis for it, nor is there any obvious rational basis (unless we consider the UN position to be gospel). If anything it's not even possible to be "cruel" to most animals given that only a very few can suffer in any real sense. Chickens certainly can't, nor can fish. Pigs may be able to, but the jury is out on that one. Heck that might be part of why the Jews weren't meant to eat pork!

Many animal rights activists genuinely do want to put animals above humans - PETA leaders have specifically stated that they consider animal lives more valuable than human lives. There is nothing strawman about it.

As for livestock farming being inefficient, it's true that animals must normally be fed with plants thus adding an extra step. However that comes down to how you define stewardship. Is the goal to minimise human impact on nature? There is no reason to think so. Is it to maximise the utility we humans get from nature in a sustainable way? Probably, yes. Is enjoying the food we eat and having variety part of that utility? No reason to think not.

Here's the thing: there is no good reason to be an animal rights person slash vegan from a Christian perspective. None. If you want to go that way it'll be for other reasons, which in my experience are great at sidetracking people from their faith. Don't get me wrong I do the same sometimes, but we need to be careful what we get passionate or self righteous about.

Last edited by vijil : 03-07-2013 at 04:51 PM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM #455
xDarkk
Cool enough
 
xDarkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rock Hill, SC
xDarkk has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
You need to qualify this statement. There is nothing clear about it. There is no biblical basis for it, nor is there any obvious rational basis (unless we consider the UN position to be gospel). If anything it's not even possible to be "cruel" to most animals given that only a very few can suffer in any real sense. Chickens certainly can't, nor can fish. Pigs may be able to, but the jury is out on that one. Heck that might be part of why the Jews weren't meant to eat pork!

Many animal rights activists genuinely do want to put animals above humans - PETA leaders have specifically stated that they consider animal lives more valuable than human lives. There is nothing strawman about it.

As for livestock farming being inefficient, it's true that animals must normally be fed with plants thus adding an extra step. However that comes down to how you define stewardship. Is the goal to minimise human impact on nature? There is no reason to think so. Is it to maximise the utility we humans get from nature in a sustainable way? Probably, yes. Is enjoying the food we eat and having variety part of that utility? No reason to think not.

Here's the thing: there is no good reason to be an animal rights person slash vegan from a Christian perspective. None. If you want to go that way it'll be for other reasons, which in my experience are great at sidetracking people from their faith. Don't get me wrong I do the same sometimes, but we need to be careful what we get passionate or self righteous about.
preach.
xDarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 PM #456
automagsrule
LOIC
 
automagsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Monkey Island
I was mostly alluding to animal cruelty laws. And animal farming as we know it is not currently sustainable.

I also do think there are biblical reasons for Veganism. Not necessarily for ethical reasons, but for health and environmental reasons.
__________________

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 PM #457
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot
 
vijil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
If it can be demonstrated that Veganism is in fact healthier, then that's a possible argument in favour, but it certainly doesn't justify any assertion that Christians should be vegan.

Apparently our current farming system doesn't work, yup. That doesn't necessarily support full veganism as it would support things like rethinking how we do said farming and maybe trying to cut meat back to once a week or so - which is apparently healthier than both extremes anyway. We are omnomnomnivores after all.

Regarding farming, my Mom used to work as a research scientist on a 100% automated dairy farm. Robot milking machines that milked the cows just whenever they felt like it, automatic irrigation etc. etc. - you could leave it unattended for months and it was incredibly good in terms of land area, resource consumption and animal happiness (as well as these things can be measured). Mom said that as far as they could tell the cows as happy as any cow ever. That sort of thing is the way to go, not dropping animal farming altogether.

Last edited by vijil : 03-07-2013 at 07:51 PM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM #458
duos_scythe
Luke 12: 4-6
 
duos_scythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alanson, MI.
duos_scythe owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
duos_scythe posts videos on PbNation
duos_scythe has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
duos_scythe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
duos_scythe is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by UM_Midman87 View Post
Good morning, brothers. What is the criteria to join this group?
The real question is based on your location... Roll Tide or War Eagle? (Roll Tide for me)
Was in Mobile Christmas of 2011. Love it there!

To join just read the, first posts on the thread, that will get you started.
__________________

Follow BASIC on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
Christ Krew Member #46
1 John 4:19 We love Him, because He first loved us.
duos_scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 AM #459
UM_Midman87
 
 
UM_Midman87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mobile, AL
UM_Midman87 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
UM_Midman87 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by duos_scythe View Post
The real question is based on your location... Roll Tide or War Eagle? (Roll Tide for me)
Was in Mobile Christmas of 2011. Love it there!

To join just read the, first posts on the thread, that will get you started.
Yeah, it's pretty nice here. Definitely a War Eagle on my end!

I have read and agreed to the conduct post.
__________________
OMNES OBSERVATE, NULLIUM TEMETE
UM_Midman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 AM #460
duos_scythe
Luke 12: 4-6
 
duos_scythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alanson, MI.
duos_scythe owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
duos_scythe posts videos on PbNation
duos_scythe has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
duos_scythe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
duos_scythe is Legendary
Well we can agree to disagree on sports but know that Christ is Lord of all no matter what.
What church do you go to? My wife's "adopted" father is the pastor of Anchor
Assembly in Bayou La Batre
And her friend and friend's husband does Teen Challenge in the area.
__________________

Follow BASIC on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
Christ Krew Member #46
1 John 4:19 We love Him, because He first loved us.
duos_scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 AM #461
UM_Midman87
 
 
UM_Midman87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mobile, AL
UM_Midman87 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
UM_Midman87 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by duos_scythe View Post
Well we can agree to disagree on sports but know that Christ is Lord of all no matter what.
What church do you go to? My wife's "adopted" father is the pastor of Anchor
Assembly in Bayou La Batre And her friend and friend's husband does Teen Challenge in the area.
I can live with that compromise, and I wholeheartedly agree. I am the Children's pastor at Parkway Southern Baptist in Mobile.
__________________
OMNES OBSERVATE, NULLIUM TEMETE
UM_Midman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM #462
procyonwarrior
 
 
procyonwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Smithfiled Va
procyonwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
procyonwarrior has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
Also I'll assert that because livestock farming is so inefficient and wasteful, good stewardship of the planet would be a vegan diet.
I agree what else has been stated about this statement. It is very vague and only Western in thought. People in African give no adherence to this. We have to be very clear with what we are talking about regarding rights. Within the Christian perspective, there are certain rights that are given by God that are not simply an American viewpoint but universal. That is not the same for any animal because they are not made in the image of God.
__________________
procyonwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump