Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM #1
Lazerwolf

Horrible Refs

I was out at a field the other weekend and had the same Ref the entire time I was there, he refused to get off his *** and check players or for that matter do anything. Then at the end of the day he had the nerve to rattle the tip jar. Anyone else had a ****ty ref?
Lazerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 AM #2
iiDangerCloseBK
EAT MY SHORTS!

iiDangerCloseBK owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
iiDangerCloseBK supports Team VICIOUS
iiDangerCloseBK is an NCPA player
iiDangerCloseBK is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
iiDangerCloseBK is Legendary
iiDangerCloseBK supports DLX Technology
Yeah, I had one who thought he was the best ref ever. He was fine with checked player for paint and all but it was his game making skills that sucked. This was when I used to play woods balls. So he wanted to do a game of capture the flag. He put the flag on a tree and said we had to get to the flag and hang it at the castle. He then started a team at the castle and put our team a good 1500 feet away from the flag. The other team had to go 100 ft grab the flag and go back. The game was over in literally 30 seconds. He then wondered why I was complaining. Then he decided to do a trench war type thing where one team was on the side of a hill and we were on flat ground with no cover but trees. We couldn't cross at all and we were in the open. He was a horrible Ref and probably still works there since his dad is the owner

Axe User's Club | | Rotor Mafia | | Ninja User's Club | | Headband Ballers | | E-Flex Army | | World Ballas Club
iiDangerCloseBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM #3
reshafer

reshafer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
reshafer is attending Decay of Nations VII
I had a kinda meh ref once at fox out by Chicago. Playing woodsball and my team swept the field basically because we flanked well, there was only one or two people left on other team, and they were shooting at our team from behind the people who were already out. We couldnt shoot at them, but the ref wouldnt stop them from shooting at us.
reshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM #4
byarosh201

Quote:
Originally Posted by reshafer
I had a kinda meh ref once at fox out by Chicago. Playing woodsball and my team swept the field basically because we flanked well, there was only one or two people left on other team, and they were shooting at our team from behind the people who were already out. We couldnt shoot at them, but the ref wouldnt stop them from shooting at us.
I woulda just shot at them if they wanna stand in a line of fire they're gonna get hit.
byarosh201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM #5
reshafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byarosh201 View Post
I woulda just shot at them if they wanna stand in a line of fire they're gonna get hit.
Yeah...about that.... I definately did. Ref didnt like that either, We both got hot headed, I left for the day
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM #6
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

has been a member for 10 years
He might of been trolling you. Some ref bragged that he was a colonel in the delta force, but when I called for a paintcheck on myself, because I couldn't see where I was hit, he just sat there looking at me stupid. I knew all that special forces gear he was wearing was a farce because the delta force are tasked to the rangers.

The refs decided that they needed to be all on one team to demonstrate their skills on the newbies. My angel kept locking up on me every shot,[forcing me to take the barrel off and clear it] but I still won against the refs [we had almost equal teams, but I was the only adult on my team with a bunch of kids.] After this happened, one heavyset ref would constantly say I was a cheater for the rest of the day, although I didn't cheat.

Some refs will call me out before I bunker someone[without getting hit] and leave the person that would of been bunkered in the game. Other refs will say there is a 10 foot bunker rule; but not enforce it. Some refs will let the other team know my location or how far I penetrated up the field.

Sometimes I am so hyped up on adrenaline that when a ref comes into my peripheral vision I flip out and shoot him accidentally. Every shot that I fire always lands on him perfectly when I flip out and I didn't even think about where I was shooting. It's funny because it feels like it all happens in half a second. I'll be shooting forward at someone in the distance, then this guy runs a little bit to my right and I just rip him apart without thinking. I usually apologize profusely when that happens.
"Why did you do that?"
"I'm sorry my reflexes. "

Last edited by Subterfuge : 10-10-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 PM #7
reshafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
He might of been trolling you. Some ref bragged that he was a colonel in the delta force, but when I called for a paintcheck on myself, because I couldn't see where I was hit, he just sat there looking at me stupid. I knew all that special forces gear he was wearing was a farce because the delta force are tasked to the rangers.

The refs decided that they needed to be all on one team to demonstrate their skills on the newbies. My angel kept locking up on me every shot,[forcing me to take the barrel off and clear it] but I still won against the refs [we had almost equal teams, but I was the only adult on my team with a bunch of kids.] After this happened, one heavyset ref would constantly say I was a cheater for the rest of the day, although I didn't cheat.

Some refs will call me out before I bunker someone[without getting hit] and leave the person that would of been bunkered in the game. Other refs will say there is a 10 foot bunker rule; but not enforce it. Some refs will let the other team know my location or how far I penetrated up the field.
I hate the 10 foot rule. Same game I was running up one side of the field and ended up at the same bunker as the other team and I didnt know it. Ref yelled at me saying to move ten feet away, wouldnt let me surrender them, so I just backed up 10ish feet and shot them in the ankles.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:54 PM #8
byarosh201

10 ft rule is bull because you don't force them to surrender. It always feels like an option. And most people decide to shoot at you instead.
byarosh201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:38 PM #9
Jedihippie
My backpack's got jets

Annual Supporting Member
Jedihippie is playing at Living Legends VI
Jedihippie is playing at Living Legends VII
Jedihippie has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jedihippie has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Jedihippie has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i help ref at a field and i hear stories about this kind of stuff and it makes me very angry.

If I'm in a game and someone snapshoots me... i know it was an accident unless it happens a 2nd time after he knows i'm there.

if i get shot because i see something about to go down and i know i have to be there to call it off in a hurry so i run into a firefight... thats part of the job.

if someone supermans over and snake and accidently throws a ball or 2 at me... oh well

just because youre a ref DOES NOT MEAN you will not get shot and i dont see why some refs cant get this through their head.

usually I joke about it and go "hey, this guy shot me last game. make sure someone shoots him in the ~insert part of body i got shot it~ next game"

make it known you got hit and make sure they know you noticed. a stern look and showing them the paint splot on you is usually enough.

in refference to the 10 foot rule. if you have the drop on someone where there is no way for them shoot back... then its uncalled for. but if you are about to bunker someone and as a ref you see the person has a fighting chance. let it play out but you have to be prepared to stop in and make yourself heard.

its not about enforcing the rules to the letter its about making sure everyone has fun SAFELY. both the people getting shot and the ones doing the shooting.

some rules are more like guidelines anyways
"Reminds me of the kids that bolt on exhausts, wings and vinyl cutouts onto their rice mobiles and then hate on a ground up resto rodded 69 Camaro" -OPBN
"Due to the Berzerkers rep and knowledge of Mag awesomeness, the opposing team dropped their markers and are actually out of the frame curled up in fetal positions" -OPBN... Again
Jedihippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM #10
inferno2inferno

I had this one ref who split me and a friend between two birthday groups since we were the only owners there. That I did not have a problem with. But, when we hit the field the kids went wild and did not follow any rules; overall just being generally unsafe. When i go to the ref, I find him texting on his phone with a cardboard box to protect it off in a corner. I ask him to give me a hand with the situation and he tells me to get lost. I was so pissed and have never been back to that field since.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM #11
gospeedgo1

i tend to shoot the refs when they are not paying attention and i need them to paint check or wake up. i also try to tell them to ref better or pay attention if they are not doing their job. you could always go to the field manager and complain.
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 AM #12
HrdCorPntballa
Drew Crew

HrdCorPntballa owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
HrdCorPntballa supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeedgo1 View Post
i tend to shoot the refs when they are not paying attention and i need them to paint check or wake up. i also try to tell them to ref better or pay attention if they are not doing their job. you could always go to the field manager and complain.
Oh yes, that solves everything. Yes there are bad refs and good refs but you could also be taking off of paintball to ref too you know... think before you speak.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 AM #13
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Luckily all of the refs are awesome at Fox4 where I play. Some are a little more awkward than others, but all of them are clearly passionate about the sport and take it seriously.
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM #14
sledneckforlife
EastCoastAngel

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrdCorPntballa

Oh yes, that solves everything. Yes there are bad refs and good refs but you could also be taking off of paintball to ref too you know... think before you speak.
Agree^^^^^^^^^

For all your angel repair needs

978-530-6747
sledneckforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM #15
gospeedgo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrdCorPntballa View Post
what the hell are you talking about. when i yell for a couple minutes for a paint check, and a noobie ref is in la-la land, i fire a shot at him to get his attention. i have had to do it on a few occasions. giving feedback to the ref is called constructive criticism. you may know how to play, but not how to ref. it usually happens when newer refs are reffing, and do not shadow other refs for the first day or two. refs not knowing what to do puts people at risk for injury and a poor experience (getting lit up unnecessarily, too close range shot, lopsided teams, wiping, etc.).

as a regular, i do help out the refs with reffing, paint checks, making sure masks are down, barrel sleeves are on, explaining what the rules are, tips, and other stuff.
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM #16
htownseanthomas
R.I.P. SPACEBAT :'(

htownseanthomas is playing at Living Legends V
htownseanthomas is for the Gunfight
htownseanthomas has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
htownseanthomas has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
htownseanthomas is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeedgo1
what the hell are you talking about. when i yell for a couple minutes for a paint check, and a noobie ref is in la-la land, i fire a shot at him to get his attention. i have had to do it on a few occasions. giving feedback to the ref is called constructive criticism. you may know how to play, but not how to ref. it usually happens when newer refs are reffing, and do not shadow other refs for the first day or two. refs not knowing what to do puts people at risk for injury and a poor experience (getting lit up unnecessarily, too close range shot, lopsided teams, wiping, etc.).

as a regular, i do help out the refs with reffing, paint checks, making sure masks are down, barrel sleeves are on, explaining what the rules are, tips, and other stuff.
It's probably the way you said your original post, but I pictured a little kid screaming about paint checks and hiding behind a bunker for several "minutes" while staring at the ref and not actually playing the game. Your second post made more of a relatable and reasonable point. Although, you can't expect people to take you for an adult with your typing skills and lack of punctuation.

The refs at my local field are great guys. I mess around with them a lot but they know when to get serious. I've been playing for years and I still do walk-ons with renters. They always favor the teams in the way of beginners so they become more confident. Which I believe is the best way to coach new players. After they have a good feel for the game, they start dividing teams more evenly and showing them it can be far more of a struggle to win each game. Paint checks are really only used in the more serious games, and not so much with renters and beginners.
http://tinyurl.com/GearbagSale702

VegasXtremePaintBall, be there.

"Originally posted by "pbmink": You better dodgy that **** RIGHT ****ING NOW"
htownseanthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 AM #17
gunslinger84

gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownseanthomas View Post
It's probably the way you said your original post, but I pictured a little kid screaming about paint checks and hiding behind a bunker for several "minutes" while staring at the ref and not actually playing the game. Your second post made more of a relatable and reasonable point. Although, you can't expect people to take you for an adult with your typing skills and lack of punctuation.

The refs at my local field are great guys. I mess around with them a lot but they know when to get serious. I've been playing for years and I still do walk-ons with renters. They always favor the teams in the way of beginners so they become more confident. Which I believe is the best way to coach new players. After they have a good feel for the game, they start dividing teams more evenly and showing them it can be far more of a struggle to win each game. Paint checks are really only used in the more serious games, and not so much with renters and beginners.
My thinking was that the ref may have been staring at the player in question. I tried to never stare directly at anyone to prevent bird dogging. Been plenty of times I've been told to paint check people I was staring at. You hit the bunker son. He's not hit.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 PM #18
TheHoneyBadger
Front player SHPK sting

TheHoneyBadger supports Team VICIOUS
TheHoneyBadger supports Pev's Paintball
TheHoneyBadger has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
this was purley my fault, but i still blame it on the reff. i tripped over a reff abd lost all my paint

Party in the front, buisness in the back. Exactly why I play front.
Make sure to subscribe to me on youtube: Sean60001
TheHoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 PM #19
bowgster
RSK

Annual Supporting Member
bowgster is playing at Living Legends V
bowgster is playing at Living Legends VI
bowgster owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bowgster posts videos on PbNation
bowgster has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
bowgster has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
most of the time my group doesnt even get a ref...
bowgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 AM #20
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
What are these refs you speak of? Are they the mythical employees I've heard are found somewhere at fields?
I only know of them through myths and folklore.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 PM #21
venarius

has been a member for 10 years
Last time out, I shot a guy out shooting him from ~20 feet away, and the ref let him stay in and called me out for not giving him the 15 foot surrender option AND lighting him up.

I went with the Ref's call. It's just respect for the field...

But I also had it on video, counted paces to where the guy was (over 20) and even talked to the guy (said I was further than 15 feet, and only shot him twice not "lit him up")....

Even with all that on my side I still shook the refs hand after game and said I respect his call.

Refs can sometimes make some questionable calls in the heat of battle...

But even if I know I'm right doesn't change the fact that we're out there to have fun...

If you have a real problem with the ref, talk to the field owner... chances are he will put them in line...
Autococker (built from scratch myself back in the day!)
venarius is offline   Reply With Quote