Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 AM #1
Kenny_McCormick

YUGO, but not stop or idle, cheapass resto thread

1988 Yugo GV $450, no brakes, wont idle, needs a CV boot and a few structural areas patched(very solid for a Yugo) driver side rear strut tower being the worst of it. Car has new rotors, calipers, pads, shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware. For some reason it has a VW grill and no timing belt cover or spare tire, kinda important in this car, the spare is part of the crumple zone. I plan to have it on the street long before fall. I should have well under $1000 in the project, including the car itself, when you can find them, parts for these are dirt cheap.

The tow rig, surprisingly enough the Chrysler product with 200k on it didnt give me any ****.

We didn't get the straps tight enough or something and it fell off the trailer after 1/2 a mile in town, this is the result, not sure what to do about it, if anything. After some random guys stopped and helped us pick it up and put it back on, followed by tightening the straps as tight as I could get them, the trip went smoothly.

It felt like it had some brakes, but it turns out there were none, when I rolled it off the hauler I learned how to drive a yugo in reverse quickly. This is where it stopped.

A couple undercarriage shots.

Decent interior with factory AM FM Cassette deck.

Most of the clutter will be removed.

Picked up these tires on the way home for $60, they are new 145r13 off a Diahatsu minitruck, made in Japan, no dot number(just a DOT style date code) as they are JDM truck tires, but whatever.

Fired it up and drove it carefully into this shady parking spot closer to the garage, this is where it will spend most of its time for the next month or two.

PLAN in roughly chronological order:
-Get yard driveable
-Remove interior, dash, heater, fenders and bumpers, treat all rust, weld in patches on structural ****, fiberglass everything else. Fix dings and dents, mostly with bondo. Rattlecan over my repairs. Clean interior and fix any issues there.
-Go through suspension, replace bushings and ****.
-Address powertrain concerns, timing belt, coolant flush, tranaxle fluid, CVs, carb, etc. Rip out all the emissions ****(AIR pump, EGR, EVAP) and build custom exhaust system from manifold back.
-Collect odds and ends needed, spare wheel, complete speedo cable assembly(the gear and **** that sticks in the trans is gone, just a plug in the hole), timing cover and hatch struts being the important ones. Some weatherstripping should probably be replaced.
-Assemble and put on road, use as ratty looking summer DD, maybe run it at the Woodward dream cruise(will really pop out in a sea of 69 camaros, mustangs, and 57 chevys).
-Park in fall.
-Paint properly next spring.

Tl;DR: My trolling car, 1800 pounds of Yugoslavian steel, the most useless thing I have ever bought.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.

Last edited by Kenny_McCormick : 05-21-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 AM #2
lowbudgethero
Boomer

has been a member for 10 years
that's probably the nicest yugo I've ever seen lol good luck

i've bought much better cars for less though
lowbudgethero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 PM #3
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Interesting car. Interested to see final product.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM #4
DrobertsPB
You rebel scum

JDM as ****.

Seriously though looks fun
DrobertsPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 PM #5
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
I'm looking forward to this

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 PM #6
razz

does it use one set of leaf springs. like are the front wheels using the same spring? lol

also nice hood scoop
Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 PM #7
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

I thought the hood scoop was especially funny. Really adds to the overall goofy, but funny (in a good way), image.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:01 AM #8
Ti_G
Wait, what ?

Ti_G owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Do not disapoint.

DO NOT DI SA POINT.
Ti_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 AM #9
Kenny_McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz View Post
does it use one set of leaf springs. like are the front wheels using the same spring? lol

also nice hood scoop
Front end is like a super bug, coil spring struts with the sway bar playing the roll of half the control arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
I thought the hood scoop was especially funny. Really adds to the overall goofy, but funny (in a good way), image.
The hood scoop is the heater air inlet.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:20 AM #10
cynicalrider
robert paulson

cynicalrider owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cynicalrider owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
cynicalrider is for the Gunfight
cynicalrider supports Pev's Paintball

All I ever think of when I hear YUGO.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"

ST:A - Not your Myspace Blog.
cynicalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:36 AM #11
TeamLeadersAccount

TeamLeadersAccount owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Lola's when u learned how to drive it backwards
TeamLeadersAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 PM #12
Kenny_McCormick

It gets better, I figured if the brakes were totally gone I would put it in reverse and use the engine to slow the car down. Me not being used to carbed cars and their single on position ignition cylinders(the Yugo has locking column), I ended up bump starting the car, making by backwards trip even faster.

Does anybody know if a fiat 128 timing belt tensioner bearing will fit? Yugo spec ones are really hard to find.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 PM #13
A Contract Killer

A Contract Killer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If I were you I'd want that thing to be a Yugo in name and appearance once. Basically what I'm getting at is swap out the entire engine for something that didn't have its supply chain ****ed up when a civil war broke out and caused suppliers to suddenly be located in different countries.

Last edited by A Contract Killer : 05-22-2012 at 03:56 PM.
A Contract Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM #14
Kenny_McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Contract Killer View Post
If I were you I'd want that thing to be a Yugo in name and appearance once. Basically what I'm getting at is swap out the entire engine for something that didn't have its supply chain ****ed up when a civil war broke out and caused suppliers to suddenly be located in different countries.
The powertrain and suspension is a mostly direct copy of a Fiat 128(so this car is, indirectly, approved by Enzo Ferrari), the parts ARE NOT that hard to find in most cases.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM #15
A Contract Killer

Learned something new today. Were any of them made by Fiat/under license? Or are they just a knock off of the engine?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:21 PM #16
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

congrats on getting the golden year of the yugo.
Quote:
Many mechanics and even Zastava factory workers agree that the "best" yugos ever built were built between 1988 and early 1991. Quality control was good, high standards were set in terms of plastic quality, seat cloth, and "well screwed together" interior. Paint and rust coating was also done very well during that period, as evidenced by many cars still showing no signs of rust and tear of the seats, or major engine issues, after more than twenty years later. 1989 was considered a "golden year" for yugos because almost 200.000 were built that year, and many can still be seen on the road today. Also cars were usually branded Yugo instead of Zastava during that period, because the company was taking pride in its (at the time) good sales and reputation established in the export markets, especially in the USA. With political problems starting in 1991, quality dropped significantly, coming to such low standards such as plastic parts of the dashboard not fitting correctly.

for performance, get rid of the emissions carb, try to find some old webbers or something to replace it. Apparently thats good for 10 or so hp.
kfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 PM #17
Alan777
Tree Fitty

lol'd at "well screwed together"
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 PM #18
A Contract Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan777 View Post
lol'd at "well screwed together"
Because the Balkans.

Seriously though, not a Yugo but part of me really wants an old Lada Riva. Just about no chance I'll ever come across one in the US though.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 PM #19
NinJaaaaaaaaaah
It's joe dirte brah

i can't believe i'm the first to say this.

LS1 SWAP!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:34 PM #20
Kenny_McCormick

Bled the brakes, it now stops, upped the idle adjustment and got it idling poorly. Took it maybe half a mile down the road, goes through all gears, with typical yugo ultra vague shifting, nice synchros though. ****ty cell phone vids to come around 3am when I get out of work and have time to get them off my phone.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM #21
Kenny_McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJaaaaaaaaaah View Post
i can't believe i'm the first to say this.

LS1 SWAP!
Replacing the powertrain with something good would detract from the cars inherent ****tyness. Its like a honda vtec swapped mini, its fast, but has it any other point?