PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 AM #1
veets13
Dirty Jerzey

Axe very inconsistent

So......

I played last night for the 2nd time with my Axe. I've personally put a case through it myself. Not sure about the previou owner, due to the state of the gun i don't wanna say alot. I went to chrono and I saw a jump between 250fps-301fps... why such the really bad inconsistency?? isn't it cause it's still breaking in? If I lube the poppit will it help?

thanks for any input...

Vito
Ninja 68/45

Dynasty Fan Club #554
veets13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2013, 10:09 AM #2
minimag03

has been a member for 10 years
minimag03 is an NCPA player
To solve a problem like this, you're going to need to tell us a lot, dunno why the state of the gun would be stopping you from doing that.

What type of paint were you using? How fresh was it? What type of barrel? What was the bore size of the barrel? What was the bore size of the paint? We will need more details to really tell ya what might be happening.

And yes, lubing the poppet oring is very important. It's the most important oring to lube on the entire gun.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:09 AM #3
side-effects

Lubing the poppit may help, but that is a really big swing in velocity.

What barrel were you using and how big and what condition was the paint you were shooting. I have seen football shaped paintballs give swings like that.
Does the reg pressure stay constant at 200ish, not drop drastically, and return to 200 every shot?
Barring that, is there another chrono you can try?
side-effects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 AM #4
side-effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
To solve a problem like this, you're going to need to tell us a lot, dunno why the state of the gun would be stopping you from doing that.
I think he meant that seeing as the gun was in good shape it had not had a lot of paint shot through it before he got it.
side-effects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 AM #5
veets13
Dirty Jerzey

it was Marbalizer we were using. I have a freak kit, i used the bore so that that ball fit through but didnt just roll right out the other end. I stated the condition of the gun because it is used so idk how broken it is, I only shot a case through it. So idk how broken in the gun is. gun is stock besides that. i lubed it (not the poppit) last time i played with it.
Ninja 68/45

Dynasty Fan Club #554
Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 AM #6
veets13
Dirty Jerzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by side-effects View Post
Lubing the poppit may help, but that is a really big swing in velocity.

What barrel were you using and how big and what condition was the paint you were shooting. I have seen football shaped paintballs give swings like that.
Does the reg pressure stay constant at 200ish, not drop drastically, and return to 200 every shot?
Barring that, is there another chrono you can try?
i didnt check reg pressure... it's just a little below 200 psi.
Ninja 68/45

Dynasty Fan Club #554
Old 10-04-2013, 01:52 PM #7
got wake?

got wake? supports Empire
Reset the board to make sure it's at stock dwell and nothing else funky is going on from it. Replace the bolt guide and poppet o-rings, lube, and tune it like the sticky recommends. That should take care of most things that are causing that big of a swing.
got wake? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:53 PM #8
got wake?

Replace the bolt tip o-ring too. Forgot about that one.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 PM #9
veets13
Dirty Jerzey

how do i reset the board?? also... should i wait till i shoot a couple more cases through it to fully break the gun in. I've only put about 2 cases thru it?? i was planning on tuning it once i shot another case or 2 thru it.
Ninja 68/45

Dynasty Fan Club #554
Old 10-04-2013, 01:57 PM #10
veets13
Dirty Jerzey

i don't see why i should be replacing o-rings on an axe that has maybe 3 cases thru it.. its practically a brand new gun.. i can't see that being the problem.
Ninja 68/45

Dynasty Fan Club #554
Old 10-04-2013, 02:08 PM #11
grss429
Gun Tech! & Field owner

grss429 plays in the PSP
grss429 posts videos on PbNation
grss429 plays in the APPA D4 division
grss429 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
grss429 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by veets13 View Post
i don't see why i should be replacing o-rings on an axe that has maybe 3 cases thru it.. its practically a brand new gun.. i can't see that being the problem.
reguardless if it's new or not i've seen many guns straight out the box leak, and or have bad fitted orings.

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY FACEBOOK PAGE! WEBSITE COMING SOON www.facebook.com/bfinpbt

Owner/home field.
Come play at Nature of the game paintball in hampstead North Carolina (910) 270 2163
grss429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:10 PM #12
veets13
Dirty Jerzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by grss429 View Post
reguardless if it's new or not i've seen many guns straight out the box leak, and or have bad fitted orings.
interesting. Maybe i'll replace them tonight. I played last night so the gun needs to be cleaned/lubed anyway. so ill replace those orings tonight.
Ninja 68/45

Dynasty Fan Club #554
Old 10-04-2013, 02:38 PM #13
got wake?

Start with resetting the board. If that doesn't fix it, then it's limited to bad o-ring(s) or other damage to cause a swing like that, assuming it's reasonably tuned. It doesn't matter if its brand new or has 100 cases through it, what you've described will most likely be fixed by what I suggested. A brand new Axe won't have swings like that unless there is a bad o-ring or other issue. You need to problem solve the issues from easiest to hardest. Resetting the board and swapping a few o-rings is easy.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 PM #14
got wake?

If what I suggested doesn't work, you'll be taking it apart to check internal o-rings and the check valve.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:37 PM #15
veets13
Dirty Jerzey

ok no problem. i will start by doing that tonight. unfortunately i do not have a hand held chrono to test it, so it'll have to wait until i'm at the field next. hopefully that will fix it tho. appreicate it. maybe i'll take a ride to the field tonight and work on it.
Ninja 68/45

Dynasty Fan Club #554
Old 10-04-2013, 07:05 PM #16
got wake?

Having your own chrono is one of the best tech tools you can invest in. I picked mine up used for $65 and I'd gladly pay full price if I ever need to replace it. Then make sure you've got a full tank when you leave the field and you can tech almost any problem at home, assuming you have a yard you can shoot in.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:46 PM #17
ChaseJax

ChaseJax is attending Decay of Nations VII
ChaseJax supports Empire
I bought a yellow handheld chrono and put it next to the grey rectangle handheld version and the big yellow and red chronos they typically use at the field . There wwsnt a single time out of roughly 30 shots where any of the chronos displayed the same FPS on the same shot.
I would use two chronos for the same shot trying to gauge how accurate mine was.. haha what a joke. All 3 eould spit out different readings sometimes off by as much as 15. I couldnt find a pattern either.
And yes I held and used the chronos correctly. Even the field owner was there.
His thoughts were that the chronos can be very delicate and if one is dropped that the internals can be screwed up very easily. So who knows whos was really messed up. Got mine for dirt cheap but claims was never ever used and I believe it. Either way I can still use it to get rough estimates. It was never further off than 15 from chronos. Still I was dissapointed at how much they varied. Anyone else ever use theres side by side a different chrono and got such varied readings Or is one of ours be messed up?

Last edited by ChaseJax : 10-04-2013 at 07:50 PM.
ChaseJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:34 PM #18
got wake?

Mine is within 5 of my field chrono. Both equally consistent in their readings, so my handheld serves its purpose of insuring proper operation before I get to the field. I'll get a Clock one of these days and compare to the big red and my X-radar.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:23 AM #19
veets13
Dirty Jerzey

yeah eventually ill get around to buying one..... but i can always just go 5 mins away to my local field and do what i gotta do
Ninja 68/45

Dynasty Fan Club #554
Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 AM #20
got wake?

Must be nice! The field I bought is the closest to me and that's a 35 minute drive Anyways, let us know what you find out with your gun.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 AM #21
veets13
Dirty Jerzey

How do I reset the board though? Lol
Ninja 68/45

Dynasty Fan Club #554