PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 AM #1
holson72

holson72 posts videos on PbNation
holson72 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Some good, and some confusing comments about Angels this weekend?

So...this weekend at the local field was a big scenario game. It was fairly cold outside, and my cockers were breaking paint (small Freak insert to prevent rollouts); so I switched to my recently acquired brown velvet A1 Fly.

I was shocked at the number of positive comments I got from it. I figured it'd just blend in with all the other guns (but I am known as the odd gun/gun whore at the field, so maybe folks just pay attention to what I pull out, cause it's never "normal"). Anyway - I got many compliments on how pretty it was, and let one ref who's a modern gun whore shoot it. He tried to buy it. One guy (younger, probaby late teens) said I made his year, because he never thought he'd see an Angel in person. (I am relatively new to this field...but apparently nobody shoots an Angel).

But - there were two comments that caught me a little off guard. Two people commented that it was cool to see a working Angel. Now, like I said in a previous thread, I have not had an Angel long (but I used to play back in the day where it was pretty much Automag, Autococker, or Angel...so I've seen PLENTLY of Angels along my career, and very few broken ones). So my question is...do Angels have a reputation of not working well? Where did they get this rep? I would speculate it's people messing with things they know nothing about (similar to autocockers).

Anyway, I was surprised by how much attention the gun drew; but also surprised that some people were shocked mine worked?
holson72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM #2
trancer23
Angel Collector

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
trancer23 is playing at Living Legends VII
trancer23 has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
trancer23 is Legendary
the "working angel" comment, i have found, is this

Normal user breaks their gun couple times a year. Angels are a few years old. Therefore, it should be broken. Its the basic "i have to upgrade every year" theory.

35 angels and counting......
Blue Black Impact Angel LCD, Doodoo Brown Dark Angel LCD, Dark IR3 & Ripper angel
94 Tippmann Pro-lite (old reliable)
Old Feedback - New Feedback
trancer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:36 AM #3
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by holson72 View Post
So...this weekend at the local field was a big scenario game. It was fairly cold outside, and my cockers were breaking paint (small Freak insert to prevent rollouts); so I switched to my recently acquired brown velvet A1 Fly.

I was shocked at the number of positive comments I got from it. I figured it'd just blend in with all the other guns (but I am known as the odd gun/gun whore at the field, so maybe folks just pay attention to what I pull out, cause it's never "normal"). Anyway - I got many compliments on how pretty it was, and let one ref who's a modern gun whore shoot it. He tried to buy it. One guy (younger, probaby late teens) said I made his year, because he never thought he'd see an Angel in person. (I am relatively new to this field...but apparently nobody shoots an Angel).

But - there were two comments that caught me a little off guard. Two people commented that it was cool to see a working Angel. Now, like I said in a previous thread, I have not had an Angel long (but I used to play back in the day where it was pretty much Automag, Autococker, or Angel...so I've seen PLENTLY of Angels along my career, and very few broken ones). So my question is...do Angels have a reputation of not working well? Where did they get this rep? I would speculate it's people messing with things they know nothing about (similar to autocockers).

Anyway, I was surprised by how much attention the gun drew; but also surprised that some people were shocked mine worked?
I think Trancer has a point. Of all the angels I've owned, which is a bunch, I've never had issues with them unless it was my dumb *** doing something wrong. Angels are tanks and, as long as the user isn't dumb, will work every time.

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 AM #4
delnmelb

The design of the angel is awesome. A solid body delivering gas without using barbs or micro line with separated components for hammer/bolt/solenoid make this marker amazing.

The angel 2k lcd is still a viable design in today's paintball world. On average it might weigh 1lb or so more. The only issues these older markers have had are there boards/batteries. With the PMR board upgrade/mod I contend that your "old school" or "retro" marker will play just as well as any other on the field.

Whatever the design of the marker the two factors are: Delivering enough air to accelerate a paintball to the required velocity and dependability. Disregard all the crap about which gun shoots faster or further (ie the old great debate about cockers shooting longer and straighter which is ridiculous for anyone who has taken a highschool physics class). The design of the angel is very modular and dependable and the marker definitely has the ability to push the paintball to the required velocity at a decent cycle rate.
delnmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 AM #5
sledneckforlife
EastCoastAngel

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by delnmelb
The design of the angel is awesome. A solid body delivering gas without using barbs or micro line with separated components for hammer/bolt/solenoid make this marker amazing.

The angel 2k lcd is still a viable design in today's paintball world. On average it might weigh 1lb or so more. The only issues these older markers have had are there boards/batteries. With the PMR board upgrade/mod I contend that your "old school" or "retro" marker will play just as well as any other on the field.

Whatever the design of the marker the two factors are: Delivering enough air to accelerate a paintball to the required velocity and dependability. Disregard all the crap about which gun shoots faster or further (ie the old great debate about cockers shooting longer and straighter which is ridiculous for anyone who has taken a highschool physics class). The design of the angel is very modular and dependable and the marker definitely has the ability to push the paintball to the required velocity at a decent cycle rate.
Aka: angels kick azz

For all your angel repair needs

978-530-6747
sledneckforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:54 AM #6
holson72

I like my A1 Fly...but I've only had it for 2 weeks; so I can't beat the Angel drum just yet.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 PM #7
sledneckforlife
EastCoastAngel

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by holson72
I like my A1 Fly...but I've only had it for 2 weeks; so I can't beat the Angel drum just yet.
Beat that son of a ***** man- you won't regret it.

978-530-6747
Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM #8
Methodcaptain

I've heard the same thing for years.

Unfortunately the average paintballer lacks that knowledge/skillset to properly maintain any marker, not just an angel. Most people don't take the time to tune their markers, and just don't want to. This is evident by the posts we get in this forum every day from people who don't want to buy guages or the proper tools to work on their angels. (I don't know how many times we've had to answer someone asking how many shims should be in their LPR)

This isn't limited to angels, its all paintball markers/equipment in general. There are a large amount of people who don't know, or care to know how to properly maintain their gear. They just sell it and get new.

WANTED: Blue angel A1 grips
Wanted - Angel A1/SB/AR:K parts and markers broken or working
Methodcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM #9
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Yes, it is not limited to Angels. For the longest time I had lots of issues with the Timmy I had until I sat down and read through everything I could find.

I came from angels so I was used to not really having to do much of anything.

WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM #10
delnmelb

Of all angels there is little excuse to have the inability to maintain an angel though. I used to just put 4 drops of oil in my macro line (before the reg) before or after a day of play... cycle some air through and then wipe off the oil residue from the bolt/breach/barrel and it will almost never go down.

Now they all have this dow 55/or dow like lube that requires you to take the entire marker apart and lube each oring. Everyone knows that the more times you take a marker apart the more times you have a chance to mess something up and/or lose a piece. I would say second to un-oiled orings, pinched orings are the number one cause for them going bad.
delnmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 PM #11
holson72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodcaptain View Post

Unfortunately the average paintballer lacks that knowledge/skillset to properly maintain any marker, not just an angel. Most people don't take the time to tune their markers, and just don't want to. This is evident by the posts we get in this forum every day from people who don't want to buy guages or the proper tools to work on their angels. (I don't know how many times we've had to answer someone asking how many shims should be in their LPR)

This isn't limited to angels, its all paintball markers/equipment in general. There are a large amount of people who don't know, or care to know how to properly maintain their gear. They just sell it and get new.
I shoot cockers. I know exactly what you mean. Granted cockers are more trial and error than Angels (if using the gauges), but the end result is often the same.

Back in '03 I bought a very nice "broken" STO for $150. I turned the bolt over, then adjust the regulators (HPR had been turned WAY up since it couldn't reach velocity with the bolt upside down) and used it without issue for a year before selling it.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 PM #12
sledneckforlife
EastCoastAngel

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodcaptain

Hallelujah brother!! I live my angels, I'm just always looking toward the next one. I have four in rotation right now including this cocker:

It's my baby.

978-530-6747
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM #13
Schnell_MS
OG Angel's 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodcaptain View Post

This is your real issue with reliability... They are a little more complicated than your average toy that they produce nowadays but its a tried and true design that changed the sport forever. It may take some time to dial them in properly, especially me being up here a mile high nothing works perfect out of the box, even my car projects lol...

Welcome to the family one way or another! I've never owned anything but an Angel and some kickass cockers/Palmers, but once you go Angel you never go back
Ripper LCD #7832***Dark LCD 2.1 Polished/Black #18634
Cobra Mamba A4 Fly Black/Blue #5668***A4 Fly Rasta/Chrome #4650
WANT2BUY
***AKA Excalibur & Viking Unmilled W/Eyes***
**Spanky Fishbone & Cobra Autococker's Sandridge & Mechanical**
Schnell_MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM #14
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell_MS View Post
This is your real issue with reliability... They are a little more complicated than your average toy that they produce nowadays but its a tried and true design that changed the sport forever. It may take some time to dial them in properly, especially me being up here a mile high nothing works perfect out of the box, even my car projects lol...

Welcome to the family one way or another! I've never owned anything but an Angel and some kickass cockers/Palmers, but once you go Angel you never go back
Once you go Angel, you may have a lapse in judgement and leave. And then you'll come crawling back apologizing profusely.

WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 PM #15
Trevor

I feel as though the broken Angel comments stem from back in the day when chopping was always an issue. Angels were way ahead of their time and no hopper was able to feed it fast enough until the Halos started coming out.

That's my two cents.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM #16
holson72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I feel as though the broken Angel comments stem from back in the day when chopping was always an issue. Angels were way ahead of their time and no hopper was able to feed it fast enough until the Halos started coming out.

That's my two cents.
That's probably a good point...but, I was playing then - and many of the "new fast" guns were chopping. But I wonder if that's where it stems from?

My idea is still like others have posted...issues similar to the cockers. People who don't know how to tune the Angel try anyway...mess it up...blame the gun.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM #17
gunhero5
Aim High - Don't Die

Annual Supporting Member
gunhero5 is a Moderator
gunhero5 is a Supporting Member
gunhero5 is BST Legit
gunhero5 supports Bob Gurnsey
gunhero5 supports our troops
gunhero5 is Immortal
I think the idea stemmed from the failure rate of the LCD boards/screens and people actually forgetting to charge their batteries before a game day. If you forgot to charge your battery, you told your friends you'd have to use a different gun because the angel is "dead", and other people hearing that could translate that to anything. Granted I have no prior use of any angels post 03 speeds.

Last edited by gunhero5 : 10-10-2012 at 04:23 PM.
gunhero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:52 PM #18
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Man forgetting to charge your angel was like forgetting to bring your hopper.

WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM #19
gunhero5
Aim High - Don't Die

Annual Supporting Member
gunhero5 is a Moderator
gunhero5 is a Supporting Member
gunhero5 is BST Legit
gunhero5 supports Bob Gurnsey
gunhero5 supports our troops
gunhero5 is Immortal
Stuff like that happens to teams when they're inebriated the night before. I've seen it happen many times.

It was a huge pain for us techs.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 PM #20
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Luckily I've never done it before a tourney, but there were a few open/rec play days where I had forgotten. Kinda screws up your plans.

WISCONSIN NAVARONE