Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-21-2012, 10:23 AM #1
loneassassin
A Grim and...

How do you get around FPO rules? Or do you?

Hey guys,

I've got an event (big recball game on large constructed fields) coming up next weekend where it's going to be field paint only. Yesterday, I shot the paint that I'll be using for that event through my E-Cocker. Suffice it to say, it's less than spectacular. Not a problem with a semi, obviously, but I was planning on using my pump at least part of the time for this event. If I have to shoot crappy paint, I'm not sure that's a good idea.

What are your thoughts on the situation? Do you still use your pump even if you have to use ****ty paint? I did use my pump yesterday and my 2-year-old Marballizers (not joking) were much better than the BRAND NEW paint I shot. On these fields, a pump player has to work HARD to get eliminations, as they are tire and pallet bunkers with lots of gaps and holes for players to shoot out of. It's difficult to get angles on people because there's so much cover, and they don't necessarily have to come out to shoot at you...

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2012, 11:22 AM #2
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
FPO is a (incredibly frustrating) part of paintball. Live with it, play with it, or stay home. Bringing in outside paint is scarcely a step away from stealing from a field.

If improvements in paint quality or storage at a field need to be made, figure out a way to suggest that or even help. The thing about customer service is that customers' opinions need to be voiced in order to be considered.

Last, consider that many, if not most players of paintball don't even consider paint quality when buying, and have PLENTY of fun. Maybe instead of switching to a nice pump, find a crappy semi to experience things on the rental level again.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 AM #3
shredxcam

When fpo was bad here I just shot ultra left overs.
Now I have a small amount of evil from decay but it's green and will stick out

If I buy field paint I always try and buy the best stuff.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 AM #4
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
FPO is a (incredibly frustrating) part of paintball. Live with it, play with it, or stay home. Bringing in outside paint is scarcely a step away from stealing from a field.

If improvements in paint quality or storage at a field need to be made, figure out a way to suggest that or even help. The thing about customer service is that customers' opinions need to be voiced in order to be considered.

Last, consider that many, if not most players of paintball don't even consider paint quality when buying, and have PLENTY of fun. Maybe instead of switching to a nice pump, find a crappy semi to experience things on the rental level again.
I wasn't implying that I would try to bend the rules. I was just wondering if people have made arrangements with field owners. I'd gladly pay a little more just to be able to use premium paint with my pump gun -- but he never has premium paint at the field.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:23 PM #5
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
I wasn't implying that I would try to bend the rules. I was just wondering if people have made arrangements with field owners. I'd gladly pay a little more just to be able to use premium paint with my pump gun -- but he never has premium paint at the field.
It's possible, but not for this upcoming event. It takes time. For example, local players were able to convince one local field to carry First Strikes at his field, but it took an entire season of players asking about it to convince him there was a demand.

So mention that you'd like a more premium paint for events available, and that you'd pay more for it. Have other like minded players mention it as well. Mention it often.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 PM #6
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
It's possible, but not for this upcoming event. It takes time. For example, local players were able to convince one local field to carry First Strikes at his field, but it took an entire season of players asking about it to convince him there was a demand.

So mention that you'd like a more premium paint for events available, and that you'd pay more for it. Have other like minded players mention it as well. Mention it often.
I'll have to work on that. There's just no demand for high-end paint from his standard clientele. We've had a complete turnover in players over the past few years and there are hardly any experienced players that go to this field. There is nowhere else to play. On normal days, this field does not require you to use field paint, so I rely on my stash of Marbalizers for pump applications.

Castro is right; many, if not most players are satisfied with whatever paint is available. But as a pump player for quite a number of years, it's hard for me to play with anything but the best. A newer player yesterday asked me why my pump was so accurate, and my response was that it is largely the quality of the paint I use in it; ALL of my guns are just as accurate with the same paint. It's a concept that is hard sold on many beginning players...

Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 PM #7
drgonzo
Half-cocked

has been a member for 10 years
if you have your hands on it in advance, tumble it maybe?
also perhaps you could get dispensation to buy FPO but use your own paint.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 PM #8
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
I've made some questionable paint work over the years, and all I play is pump, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 AM #9
mymutter
I crack myself up!

mymutter supports Team VICIOUS
mymutter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
If your a regular, talk to the field owner, and have him write you a note. Just make sure if their fill is white, yours is to. But make sure the owner/manager knows. Otherwise, not worth getting kicked off the field and/or banned.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 PM #10
NkdMangina
Brandon Doyle

NkdMangina plays in the PSP
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends III
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends V
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends VI
NkdMangina posts videos on PbNation
If you enjoy having fields in your area, you'll use their field paint. It is what keeps them in business, if you're unsatisfied with what they have to offer, let them know. Be prepared to offer more $ for a better ball, some places will offer a better ball at a premium.

but yes, I agree crappy paint can be very challenging when playing pump. when in doubt, just get closer
3rd Place - UWL 5-Man Chicago 2013 (Chicago Underground)
1st Place - UWL 10-Man Nebraska 2013 (Chicago Underground)
NkdMangina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 PM #11
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
At all the fields I go to, I am great friends with the owners, they have no problems letting me bring in all star or evil.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 AM #12
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Talk to the owner and throw them a little cash if you plan on bringing your own paint. As long as they are making money from it, I can't see why they would be opposed to you bring your own paint. Just explain the situation to them and they'll see your reasoning.
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:46 PM #13
Pyrate Jim

I always buy paint from the field I'm playing at, even if I don't need to ~ for several reasons.
First, it's my way of helping the field stay in business. If I want to continue playing at a field I like then paying that little bit extra is my way of showing my appreciation.

Many fields base the number of refs on the field by how many refs they can afford to pay. The paint I buy there might be enough for them to hire another ref for that day - helping keep my day safe & organised.

The paint at the field is likely to be "fresher" than what I could buy off the shelf at a big box mart or have left over from the last game.

I play a lot of scenario, which means I go to a lot of different fields. Some have special colors of paint. Like EMR where they have changed brands several times over the years, but always using a blue fill. Any color other than blue paint is a warning flag to the refs.
This can have the advantage of "leveling the playing field".
Meaning if everybody is shooting the same paint, nobody can claim that their paint was better or worse than someone else's and that's why they hit or missed the target or why it bounced or broke.
You can't blame a win or loss on the paint if both sides are using the same brand.

I will agree that sometimes it's hit-or-miss that I will be able to buy really good paint the day I play. Being a stock player for the most part, there are days I suffer through watching balls go wild - spiralling through the woods - and other days I get a good barrel match with decent paint.

But I still think it's better to buy field paint from the field.
I can use the leftovers (and there's a lot being a pump player) when I go to private stock games in between scenarios.
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote