PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 PM #1
scuzzy

has been a member for 10 years
sprung bolt and settings/expectations

Hey all. I have a v3 stinger with rhino spring installed in my nxt. it has the tadao dynasty board as well. The dwell is set at 10, I'm underboring my paint with a .675 freak insert and my input pressure is at 200psi. I'm shooting around 280fps. I am still getting FSDO even with the ABS at 8. The orings/bolt do not appear to be gummed up at all. They have just a fine layer of sleek lube on them. I am getting great consistency at around +/-3 at the chrono and the marker is shooting very smooth.

What is the problem with the FSDO? Any and all tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

darq marq
EMPIRE SNIPER
Old Feedback Found Here
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 PM #2
rolo223

have you toleranced the orings? could be one slightly oversized causing it to stick.
rolo223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 PM #3
1mg_virus

1mg_virus owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
1mg_virus supports DLX Technology
opps for another thread my bad

Last edited by 1mg_virus : 10-04-2012 at 10:01 PM.
1mg_virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 AM #4
scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mg_virus View Post
long story short on this meet a guy who had it was sitting in a closet forever. Mint pretty much only wear is wear barrel connects.
what is a good price to sell it at. has delrin sleeve and bolt I dont think this thing seen the field more then once.
thanks for hijacking the thread....

I have checked the rings and they also appear to be alright, but admittedly, I'm not very good at judging sizes. will poorly fitting o-rings case fsdo but function flawlessly after that?

darq marq
EMPIRE SNIPER
Old Feedback Found Here
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM #5
fishballer06
ShockerRepair.com

Annual Supporting Member
fishballer06 is BST Legit
fishballer06 plays in the PSP
fishballer06 donated to help Peyton Trent
fishballer06 supports our troops
fishballer06 supports DLX Technology
Put your dwell at 12 and size the paint to the insert. Then report back.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 AM #6
rolo223

sizing orings by sight isnt the best way. to really get some great fits you'll need at least a couple rebuild kits, or better is a whole bag of each size oring. the main size used is 17/70, you can get a bag of 100 from places like mcmaster.com, oringsusa, and some others for $3 or so

how to tolerance your orings: (taken from the spring mod v2 thread)

To test your tolerances, take the entire bolt assembly out of the gun. Then remove the sleeve and guide. At this point you will want to move the bolt back and forth in the can (while it is lubed). If the two pieces don't slide very easily your o-rings tolerances are too tight. It’s a good rule of thumb that if you pick up the can while the bolt is in it and tip it so the bolt is facing up, the bolt should slide down inside the can by the force of gravity. The same rule applies to the guide in the bolt and the bolt in the sleeve. Also if the parts don't slide smoothly, I.E. there is some stick or vibration then the tolerances could be better. If your tolerances aren’t like this you should find the o-rings that are the cause of the excess friction and replace them. Even though o-rings are listed as say 17/70 they are all a little different. The best way to find a good o-ring is to take all of your 17/70s and place them on a dowel rod or something similar that they can hang off and if you look very closely while they are hanging side by side you will see that some are slightly larger than the others. Take the larger ones and place them in the can. Then repeat the tolerance test. Do this until you find the best fitting o-rings you have. For the guide and bolt sail o-rings you will want to use the smaller o-rings. It is possible that the tolerances will be too loose and cause a leak or pneumatic lockout, so keep that in mind. Doing this in conjunction with the spring mod is the best way to reduce dwell and pressure while increasing efficiency.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:44 AM #7
Shooter28
PEACE

Shooter28 plays in the PSP
Shooter28 plays in the APPA D3 division
Shooter28 supports DLX Technology
Shooter28 supports Empire
I like my tolerances a bit tighter than described there^
Usually how I explain it to people, the oring should hold the weight of the part, but should feel smooth when sliding the bolt through them. and each oring should be isolated when testing.
ΞΞ

R.I.P. Rob Kerr 2/1/91 - 3/15/10 & {HSP}
Gun Sale Thread | SHOCKER PARTS!!! | My gun collection | D00M.
Shooter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM #8
scuzzy

i picked out the best fitting ones I could find from a 7x rebuild kit. I thought they felt pretty nice, but maybe it needs broken down, checked, and re-lubed. for the moment, I bumped up my abs.

darq marq
EMPIRE SNIPER
Old Feedback Found Here
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 PM #9
rolo223

on a side note, i feel you can get good or bad ndz bolts. my brother has an old v3m/rhino thats money, but when i bought mine, it was on sale on ebay for about half price, and a month later they came out with the pooty/speed bolt. the one i got has never performed worth a crap for me. despite going thru 300+ orings for fit, i didnt find any thatll let it run right. it wont run below 220 psi, 14 dwell, and thats with a rhino spring, and it still gets fsdo. after going thru the same orings for fitting, the techt bolt that was in my shocker when i got it runs at 185psi and 9 dwell, no fsdo, with the weakass techt spring! i havent measured it for spec, but ive got a feeling the ndz is probably almost out of tolerances on the large size..so..sometimes you can do everything and still have problems with some parts, ya know?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM #10
scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo223 View Post
on a side note, i feel you can get good or bad ndz bolts. my brother has an old v3m/rhino thats money, but when i bought mine, it was on sale on ebay for about half price, and a month later they came out with the pooty/speed bolt. the one i got has never performed worth a crap for me. despite going thru 300+ orings for fit, i didnt find any thatll let it run right. it wont run below 220 psi, 14 dwell, and thats with a rhino spring, and it still gets fsdo. after going thru the same orings for fitting, the techt bolt that was in my shocker when i got it runs at 185psi and 9 dwell, no fsdo, with the weakass techt spring! i havent measured it for spec, but ive got a feeling the ndz is probably almost out of tolerances on the large size..so..sometimes you can do everything and still have problems with some parts, ya know?
it's possible it could be the bolt, but i think it's mostly just a fsdo problem. are my settings bad enough to consider it a bigger problem?

darq marq
EMPIRE SNIPER
Old Feedback Found Here
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 PM #11
1mg_virus

1mg_virus owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
1mg_virus supports DLX Technology
LMAO so sorry for posting in this thread was trying to put it someone else I was wondering why I got emails for this thread. again really sorry
1mg_virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 PM #12
rolo223

na i dont think your settings are bad at all, definitely still down from stock stuff. maybe up your dwell a couple ms like fish suggested, see what that does now that you've sized a few orings out.

even tho it was sprung, that bolt i have wont run without settings that are comparable to an unsprung stock bolt. horrible.