Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 PM #274
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie
 
Featherlite 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Honey Badger University
 has been a member for 10 years
Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
The fact that it can't put the power down is not subjective, its fact. The fact that it will further magnify torque steer is not subjective. You want to put $8000 into a car that is worth like $2000 based on what I can gather from your own posts. You cannot think of ANY other platform you might like for 10k or less? Really?
__________________
Team Aircraft Carrier - Admiral

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Featherlite 07 is online now  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM #275
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.
 
Supra_MKIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Not what you think
I think I might be talking to a brick wall.

The fact that it can't put power down as well as other platforms doesn't mean I don't like it. I don't give a **** what other people like. I do what I want to do for whatever reasons I want to do them. I happen to like Saabs.

Other platforms for ~$3k + parts are gonna have downfalls as well. What do you care what I like? I don't say you made an objectively wrong decision for buying the car that you bought instead of buying something economical and moving out of your parents' house.
__________________
ST:Tech- We write Haikus. Also, THE PLAGUE

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:00 PM #276
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.
 
Supra_MKIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Not what you think
It just occurred to me that I'm discussing practicality with someone who once owned a Ford Lightning...
__________________
ST:Tech- We write Haikus. Also, THE PLAGUE

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM #277
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie
 
Featherlite 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Honey Badger University
 has been a member for 10 years
Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I am trying to understand. I give you $10k cash to get any car you want. Your number 1 choice is 2k saab and 8k worth of mods? If I give you $20k will it be $2k saab and 18k worth of mods? At what point would you trade up to a different platform, if ever?

I like my Audi but I would not spend $160K on mods for it, or 4 times the approximate value of the car as you stated.
__________________
Team Aircraft Carrier - Admiral

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Featherlite 07 is online now  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 PM #278
Alan777
Tree Fitty
 
Alan777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
e46 m3 is sweet with eisenmann exhaust. uhhhhhh
__________________
Premier Detailing LLC
Instagram: @premierdetailingllc
1991 Corvette
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 PM #279
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.
 
Supra_MKIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Not what you think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
I am trying to understand. I give you $10k cash to get any car you want. Your number 1 choice is 2k saab and 8k worth of mods? If I give you $20k will it be $2k saab and 18k worth of mods? At what point would you trade up to a different platform, if ever?

I like my Audi but I would not spend $160K on mods for it, or 4 times the approximate value of the car as you stated.
Whenever I damn well pleased. If you gave me 20k, I'd probably put a few grand into the Saab and then spend the rest getting something else and modding it.

Take the "buying the saab" part out of it. I wouldn't go out of my way to find a viggen to build. This is purely situational -- I already have the car, it's not going to be a very good DD in a few years, and it's not going to be worth selling because I'll get close to nothing for it.
__________________
ST:Tech- We write Haikus. Also, THE PLAGUE

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM #280
lowbudgethero
Boomer
 
lowbudgethero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 908/570
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
I am trying to understand. I give you $10k cash to get any car you want. Your number 1 choice is 2k saab and 8k worth of mods? If I give you $20k will it be $2k saab and 18k worth of mods? At what point would you trade up to a different platform, if ever?

I like my Audi but I would not spend $160K on mods for it, or 4 times the approximate value of the car as you stated.
Ignore the fact that he has a floppy vert and find me a $10K car that is around 3000lbs and has 280ish whp and has the space of a station wagon. Saabs are not $2000, esp not viggens.

Edit:
That being said i didn't spend anything close to 10K all together with mods either with the price of the car.
lowbudgethero is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:33 PM #281
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie
 
Featherlite 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Honey Badger University
 has been a member for 10 years
Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Supra is taking about his car + 3k + another 5k. That's about 10k. More importantly that's $8000 cash into a car that costs $2000 or whatever. For what purpose? If you want to make the car faster, why not get another car with a better chassis?
__________________
Team Aircraft Carrier - Admiral

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Featherlite 07 is online now  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM #282
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie
 
Featherlite 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Honey Badger University
 has been a member for 10 years
Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
ps he said it was worth something like 2k, but edmunds says its worth like 7k. idk what it is actually worth, was just going by what he said. Said car is a convertible, and therefore does not have the space of a station wagon, either. Not that you would care. I'd rather get an E36 M3 or S2000 or something along those lines that would be a much better base to mod. It may not be as easy as simply turning up the boost to get horsepower out of, but what good is horsepower if you can't put it to the ground.
__________________
Team Aircraft Carrier - Admiral

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson

Last edited by Featherlite 07 : 10-04-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Featherlite 07 is online now  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM #283
lowbudgethero
Boomer
 
lowbudgethero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 908/570
 has been a member for 10 years
Got ya, 8 grand is pretty steep, over 2 grand is just to get a limited slip... which I def agree is why i think over 260-280 esp in a vert is wasteful. E36 would probably be another 5 grandish just to get a supercharger or maybe 2-3 grand to get about 260hp N/A. S2000 you have to go supercharger.


I'd rather have my car than a stock e36 M3 hands down. That being said I'm scooping up a e36 m roadster, when the owner gets his 335i. Pretty much combined a s2000 and an m3 together. If I was building a track car I'd choose the M3 everytime, but I'm not.

edit:
for a viggen it would literally cost 200 bucks to get 260hp crank, and maybe 1500 tops plus a little work to get 310hp crank. That's cheap power, with less than factory lag.

To get it to handle like a close to a stock m3 would be less than a grand.

Last edited by lowbudgethero : 10-04-2012 at 03:09 PM.
lowbudgethero is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM #284
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-
 
Rampager2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Texas
Feather, when your argument can become something other than power numbers and speed, speak up again.

The fact of the matter is, for the price you spent for your car, you could get some domestic muscle cars that are faster. Why didn't you? Does the S4 handle better? Does it look better? Does it drive better? These were questions you asked yourself when you bought your car.

However, personally, if I had 25k to spend on a car, I probably wouldn't go buy a brand new WRX or Focus ST. I'd go find some 15k car and drop 10k in mods to make it how I want it. Got a problem with it? Sorry.
__________________
Steam: N-Ur-Face
I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.
Maktub

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM #285
visualx
Raise Your Weapon
 
visualx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
sup. bout to pack up. then closing party, then pass out, then wake up to catch my 4:30 am transportation for the 7:25 flight

doesn't matter; it's ****ing over!
__________________
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
"Making money is art." -Warhol
Odi et amo.
visualx is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 PM #286
Matt H
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Annual Supporting Member
Matt H is a Supporting Member
Matt H is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Matt H is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Just picked up my dog from getting his junk cut off. He be sad.
Matt H is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM #287
lowbudgethero
Boomer
 
lowbudgethero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 908/570
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
Feather, when your argument can become something other than power numbers and speed, speak up again.

The fact of the matter is, for the price you spent for your car, you could get some domestic muscle cars that are faster. Why didn't you? Does the S4 handle better? Does it look better? Does it drive better? These were questions you asked yourself when you bought your car.

However, personally, if I had 25k to spend on a car, I probably wouldn't go buy a brand new WRX or Focus ST. I'd go find some 15k car and drop 10k in mods to make it how I want it. Got a problem with it? Sorry.
Exactly why would I buy a 25 grand car when it's marginally better than my 5-6K car (including mods)
lowbudgethero is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM #288
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie
 
Featherlite 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Honey Badger University
 has been a member for 10 years
Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
FWD, vert saab chassis can only make use of so much power. Why spend $8000 on additional power mods on the car when the car can barely put down the power it has?

I bought my car for a variety of reasons. But if I want more power I will get a different car because spending lots of money on my car to make it fast would be a losing battle. The same with a saab.
__________________
Team Aircraft Carrier - Admiral

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Featherlite 07 is online now  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM #289
Matt H
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Annual Supporting Member
Matt H is a Supporting Member
Matt H is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Matt H is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Shoulda got a Subaru.
Matt H is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 PM #290
lowbudgethero
Boomer
 
lowbudgethero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 908/570
 has been a member for 10 years
04 Subaru STI < stage 3+ 9-3 after 35 mph

price difference $10,000
lowbudgethero is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:23 PM #291
Alan777
Tree Fitty
 
Alan777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Exactly why would I buy a 25 grand car when it's marginally better than my 5-6K car (including mods)
not front wheel drive, better looking, better handling, not a 4 cylinder.
__________________
Premier Detailing LLC
Instagram: @premierdetailingllc
1991 Corvette
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM #292
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie
 
Featherlite 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Honey Badger University
 has been a member for 10 years
Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan777 View Post
not front wheel drive, better looking, better handling, not a 4 cylinder.
+ has warranty, has more life left in it, more reliable
__________________
Team Aircraft Carrier - Admiral

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Featherlite 07 is online now  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 PM #293
lowbudgethero
Boomer
 
lowbudgethero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 908/570
 has been a member for 10 years
Payments > maintenance on my car and it's the biggest reason I keep them.

Handling: diminishing returns, I spank my friends lowered a4 3.6 quattro on back roads that he knows better than me. If it handled any better I would take it to the track on weekends (which i plan to do with the roadster)

FWD: for DD it's fine it's why subrau sti has the same whp as me

better looking : ok maybe
lowbudgethero is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 PM #294
Matt H
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Annual Supporting Member
Matt H is a Supporting Member
Matt H is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Matt H is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
04 Subaru STI < stage 3+ 9-3 after 35 mph

price difference $10,000
Poor people buy used.
Matt H is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump