Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 AM #253
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
never buy a vert that wasn't build from scratch to be a vert
I never wanted a vert in the first place.

But I wanted a 9-3/ng900 and I found a cheap Viggen that was like a mile away from my house. It drove well so I bit.

Was a mistake in more ways than one, and I have a feeling I'm pretty much stuck with it for quite some time.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM #254
lowbudgethero
Boomer

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
I never wanted a vert in the first place.

But I wanted a 9-3/ng900 and I found a cheap Viggen that was like a mile away from my house. It drove well so I bit.

Was a mistake in more ways than one, and I have a feeling I'm pretty much stuck with it for quite some time.
it's ok man, at least you have a sweet motor once it runs right
Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 AM #255
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

I don't even know what's done to your cars.

Also I have T5 cams and I got it boosting correctly again so I should have a decent powerband now. I need to figure out whether this idle issue is a misfire, or what, though. I felt what seemed like a couple of misses high up today when I was merging onto the highway.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM #256
lowbudgethero
Boomer

They are stage 3 and 3+ by JZW, one has a lot of chassis modifications.

The other one just has a steering rack brace and thicker rear anti roll bar.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM #257
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Both TD04? I wish I could get ahold of a 19t 6cm and stuff. Would be so easy to make more power.

Someone I know has a new GT2871r that they'd sell me for $500. Wish I could afford it/supporting mods. Would be epic.

I have a feeling that what's gonna happen is I'm gonna beat this dead horse of a car until I'm out of school. At which point, I'll buy something newer/more reliable and more economical. But I won't sell the Viggen cause it'll be worth almost nothing. So I'll try to do some suspension and motor work and make a fun little sleeper out of it.

Last edited by Supra_MKIII : 10-04-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 PM #258
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Both TD04? I wish I could get ahold of a 19t 6cm and stuff. Would be so easy to make more power.

Someone I know has a new GT2871r that they'd sell me for $500. Wish I could afford it/supporting mods. Would be epic.

I have a feeling that what's gonna happen is I'm gonna beat this dead horse of a car until I'm out of school. At which point, I'll buy something newer/more reliable and more economical. But I won't sell the Viggen cause it'll be worth almost nothing. So I'll try to do some suspension and motor work and make a fun little sleeper out of it.
Nope, didn't see the point in getting and installing a TD-04 for 15-20 more hp when the chassis can't handle stage 3, and yeah I don't sell my cars because they aren't worth much.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 PM #259
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

If I had ~$3k to put into my car it would be a good weekend car.

If I had another $5k on top of that, it would be a great weekend car.

So I guess that's the plan.

But how do you figure that you'd make more power than me above 3k rpm with a t25?

Edit: Oh, you edited your post

Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM #260
A Contract Killer

A Contract Killer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Stop talking about Saabs.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM #261
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

never

Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 PM #262
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
If I had ~$3k to put into my car it would be a good weekend car.

If I had another $5k on top of that, it would be a great weekend car.

So I guess that's the plan.

But how do you figure that you'd make more power than me above 3k rpm with a t25?

Edit: Oh, you edited your post
lol, i forgot you were tuned.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM #263
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Ahh.

Yeah. I dunno. Damned car is weird sometimes. If I end up having it as a weekend car, with a reliable DD, I'd like to tune it myself.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 PM #264
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Ahh.

Yeah. I dunno. Damned car is weird sometimes. If I end up having it as a weekend car, with a reliable DD, I'd like to tune it myself.
To me the 9-3 is perfect with 260ish hp and 280ish ft/lbs torque. Anymore and it ruins the balance of the car (unless you live in the middle of nowhere and it's going to be purely a highway/straight backroad star). You could gain more hp after you added a LSD, but 1000 bucks for an LSD + 1000 to get it installed is absurd on a $3000 car. Once you get good tires, some stiffer shocks, bushings, and a few braces it feels really nice.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 PM #265
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Setting it back to stock, driving a couple hundred miles, and deleting the codes that tell the dealership that anything changed in the ECU sure sounds like it would do the trick...

Edit: ^^ I've already had two cars that can't comfortably sit 4 people. Do not want to do it again.
don't believe any of that. Looks like its from a forum or the Tuner's FAQ. I think the factory can see far more than people think they can. I know this is the case with certain makes (porsche/Audi) and I assume its the case with BMW as well.

Too often people cite things that don't really prove anything one way or the other. "My friend took his car in with the JB4 on it and they fixed it for free."
Ok, but that doesn't prove that they even looked for it, or cared to look. The issue for me is "If they want to find it, can they find it?" And that answer I believe is yes. Sure there are many instances where they did not care enough to look or found it and still did not care. Plus a lot of these reports would be covered under magnusson moss anyway. "My friend got his suspension fixed under warranty with JB4" proves nothing since Magnusson Moss would prohibit them from voiding warranty on the suspension. Or minor things that don't cost much to repair. What concerns me is if the car has a major problem, which is when you're really at risk financially, and its worth the effort for BMW to care...then what?

There are a whole slew of tuners that state their tunes are invisible or the porsche audi can't detect it, or they don't care. Its all lies. I don't doubt that that is the case for BMW as well.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 PM #266
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Yeah. I'm a geek at heart though, I love tinkering with things. Being able to tune myself and run different maps is attractive to me.

Also, my wish list is something like this:

GT28 or similar, externally wastegated
nice intercooler
A/C delete, as well as pretty much everything else that you can delete from a t7 car without making the car freak out
enough fuel to support e85
possibly water/meth
probably t5 cams still, I wouldn't want anything as aggressive as the enams on a car like that
injectors, 3.5bar fpr, etc
no idea what I'd do about intake, but I'd have to figure something out
built bottom end
LSD
motor/trans mounts
boxster S brakes up front, 308mm in the rear
chassis bracing up front, better sway bar out back
shocks/springs, full poly bushings everywhere
more stereo **** wouldn't hurt even though it's already "okay" by my standards

Edit: ^^ I haven't seen anything to suggest that it's visible in any way, and I see that they've covered most of the ways that people get "caught" flashing ECUs. I'm no expert but I tend to believe that one more than most.

Last edited by Supra_MKIII : 10-04-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM #267
A Contract Killer

A Contract Killer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
don't believe any of that. Looks like its from a forum or the Tuner's FAQ. I think the factory can see far more than people think they can. I know this is the case with certain makes (porsche/Audi) and I assume its the case with BMW as well.

Too often people cite things that don't really prove anything one way or the other. "My friend took his car in with the JB4 on it and they fixed it for free."
Ok, but that doesn't prove that they even looked for it, or cared to look. The issue for me is "If they want to find it, can they find it?" And that answer I believe is yes. Sure there are many instances where they did not care enough to look or found it and still did not care. Plus a lot of these reports would be covered under magnusson moss anyway. "My friend got his suspension fixed under warranty with JB4" proves nothing since Magnusson Moss would prohibit them from voiding warranty on the suspension. Or minor things that don't cost much to repair. What concerns me is if the car has a major problem, which is when you're really at risk financially, and its worth the effort for BMW to care...then what?

There are a whole slew of tuners that state their tunes are invisible or the porsche audi can't detect it, or they don't care. Its all lies. I don't doubt that that is the case for BMW as well.
Why I wouldn't modify an N54 or N55. Right here.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM #268
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

why do you want to put so much money into a poor platform?

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM #269
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Not everything is about numbers.

I like driving my car. If I was just going for numbers, I'd slap a giant turbo on a DSM, do three dyno runs hoping it didn't explode, and never drive it again, but keep the dyno slip in my pocket.

It's what I like. I'd rather take something I like and make it better than take something I don't like and make it better just because other people like it better.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM #270
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

You say its not about numbers, but that stuff sure looks like you're chasing horsepower to me.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM #271
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

I said "not everything is about numbers."

I would like to improve on my car to make it something I enjoy driving more. You can do that to any car. I picked a platform I like because numbers aren't the first thing to come to mind.

If I was to totally pull the car apart and build it, it wouldn't be for numbers. It would be for the satisfaction of having built it.

When my head gasket blew this summer, could I have had a mechanic repair it? Yes. Would it have gotten done faster? I sure hope so. Would it have been much easier on me? Of course.

But I didn't. Because I like building things.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 PM #272
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

At some point the chassis is inadequate for a certain level of horsepower and or performance. Has nothing to do with whether or not you replaced your own head gasket.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM #273
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

The chassis isn't going to implode on itself just because you added power to it. It's going to roast a ton of tire at low speeds. That doesn't mean it's not drivable. There are plenty of Saabs running way more power than I would ever want to. But honestly, I don't care about that, I rarely beat on my car anyway. You're arguing something that's completely subjective. Why would I pick a platform I don't like and mod it into something I still won't like? I pick something I like. What I do with it is up to me.

When I'm thinking about cars, I look at the things that most affect me while I own the car. How many Gs it pulls around a turn is not something I'm going to encounter the limit of very often. In fact, probably never. So who cares? People who go for numbers seem to just like to brag. I'm not that type of person at all.

Closed Thread