PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 PM #1
paintballer929 (Banned)
Face Mower

The job thread

Whew, my first sticky!! I have compiled a list of jobs that would be suitable for teens (like me!) that need a job to make some cash on the side. Remember, only you can choose which job fits your lifestyle.

Soccer ref:the best in my opinion. You get paid quite a bit and it doesn't interfere with school, as it's only on the weekends.

Pay:$15-$50 (depending on whether you're head or assistant as well as age group)

Hours: Weekends

Picking up phone at restaurant: I have two friends who actually do this job part-time. They sit at a Domino's and pick up the phone. It's pretty boring and it doesn't pay as much per hour as reffing, but if you have more time to work this would be a good job.

Pay: Most likely minimum wage in your state

Hours: Depends on the restaurant

Construction Site Helper:Somebody recommended this, just go to your local construction company and ask if they need any miscellaneous help.

Pay: depends, $5-$25 per hour.

Hours: Depends on local labor laws

Lawn mower: You simply mow lawns for neighbours and do whatever other yard work they need done. This is a great way to start as you are making money and managing a business.

Pay: Depends on what you charge, normally $15-40 per lawn

Hours: You choose, you're the business owner

Bus boy at restaurant: You pick up after guests and clean the tables for the next guest. Check state labor laws as some states may allow if you're under 18, some may not.

Pay: Going to be minimum wage, if not, a hair above it. One member reports around $10 per hour including tips, $4 per hour as base pay.

Hours: Weekends, and sometimes during the week. You can work out details with your employer

Newspaper/Magazine Subscription Salesperson: You go door-to-door selling magazines and newspaper subscriptions. Call your local newspaper or magazine to see if they can give you a job.

Pay: Really depends on the paper, generally you get base pay and a commission based on how many magazines and newspapers you sell.

Hours: Depends largely on the magazine

Lifeguard: You work at a pool and rescue people who need rescuing, and enforce any rules they might have. You need to take an exam and become CPR certified before hand.

Pay:Around $10 per hour

Hours: The hours that the pool are open, depends on whether its full-time or part-time.

Stocking at a Store:
You take all the new goods and put them on shelves, not a very tough job

Pay:
Around/slightly above minimum wage, one poster gets $7 per hour, another get $7.15 per hour

Hours:Depends

Golf Caddy:
You carry around gold clubs from course to course. Some people say it is tough on a hot day.

Pay:
Depends on course, one person says about $50 per bag

Hours:Depends

Cleaning Cars as your own business:You clean cars. You can be as simple as soaping/rinsing the exterior or you can go all the way to cleaning the leather and de-fogging the windshield.

Pay: You choose, check at competitors

Hours:
Again, you choose

Gun Whoring:You sell markers, hoppers, masks, jerseys, whatever here on PBN. You can be very profitable and you build a rep here.

Pay: Easily possible to make $500 per week

Hours:
You run the business....

Office Assistant:
You help out an office by filing papers and doing other odd jobs, normally a full-time job so you might want to look for another school-year job, although this makes a fine summer job. Office experience looks good on a resume, though.

Pay: Varies, one reports $8-$9 per hour

Hours: Full work days, normally about 8 hours

Help make pizzas: Some restaurants (Dominoes being one of them) allow you to pick up the phone or help make pizzas for them

Pay:Minimum wage or close to it

Hours:Normally part-time, after school

Pumping Gas at a Marina: You pump gas for boats at a marina

Pay: One person reports $10 per hour plus tips

Hours: Mostly a summer job

Washing dishes: You wash dishes and silverware at a restaurant

Pay: One person reports $8 per hour

Hours: Depends

I can' think of anymore. If you have a job, then feel free to post or PM!!

Last edited by paintballer929 : 04-19-2007 at 02:17 PM.
paintballer929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2007, 04:49 PM #2
tbird267

construction. the best way to build a work ethic and a list of good contacts.
1990 dead sexay Mustang LX w/ Flowmaster exhaust, BBK H-pipe, underdrive pulley kit, Cervini ram air hood w/ k&n filter, BBK equal length shorties headers, rear brake disk conversion kit, full hotchkis suspension and camber plates, etc, etc, blah blah.

So, so loud.

02 Mini Cooper S- too many mods to list.
ST:A FTW

Edited for content
tbird267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:50 PM #3
paintballer929 (Banned)
Face Mower

Do you have any more info about it? (hours, pay, are you helping the architects, or what exactly are you doing?)
Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM #4
tbird267

you would be, depending on your age and your states labor laws, cleaning, helping out, just random stuff. in my state, i cant go above ten feet, use certain power tools, etc, but i work for my dads company so he doesnt care.

id just go down to a local construction project and ask about it. i get paid 150 a day, but they are 10 hour days, and ive been working for 4 years. and my wage isnt a family wage, i started out at like 50 a day other workers get 250/day.
1990 dead sexay Mustang LX w/ Flowmaster exhaust, BBK H-pipe, underdrive pulley kit, Cervini ram air hood w/ k&n filter, BBK equal length shorties headers, rear brake disk conversion kit, full hotchkis suspension and camber plates, etc, etc, blah blah.

So, so loud.

02 Mini Cooper S- too many mods to list.
ST:A FTW

Edited for content
tbird267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:55 PM #5
Powner911
Powner911

I mow lawns. I make better money than most of my friends and still go out every night. It takes me an hour and a half to mow, bag, weed eat, edge, and blow off a lawn and I get about 40 bucks for that. so I'm making 26.666666 dollars an hour, pretty good for still being in high school.

We can't have flip floppers like these in our forums."
Powner911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:53 PM #6
jacksonblue
Most Legendary.

jacksonblue donated to help Peyton Trent
jacksonblue helped look for balloons
jacksonblue is playing at Living Legends III
jacksonblue owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
What age do you have to be to work as a phone-picker-upper?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 PM #7
GrimXtk
Smiles McGee

GrimXtk owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GrimXtk owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GrimXtk is an NCPA player
I doubt there is an age limit to pick up the phone.

Just be old enough to be able to work
Old 04-13-2007, 02:57 PM #8
paintballer929 (Banned)
Face Mower

My friend whose 15 does it...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:23 PM #9
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

A guy I know has been coaching a baseball team since he was 17-18. Not sure if he gets paid, but looks good for when looking for a job.
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
ISmokeIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:39 PM #10
debo08080

has been a member for 10 years
I used to bus tables at a restaurant..it was decent work, and decent pay, but the hours suck.

Pay: after tips I made $10/hour (tips aren't taxed either). thats not bad considering my base pay was $4.00/hr.

Hours: lots of weekends, and sometimes during the week. Its during the evening/night mostly, so kiss your going out from 6-11:30 or 12 hours good by. but you can go out after that.

Also, I used to sell newspaper subscription door to door. Just call your local paper and ask about it.

Pay: depends on the paper, you normally get paid per sale and a small base pay.

Hours: Hours aren't bad, because you can't work after dark. So your home by like 8-9 every night you work. Best job i've ever had.
debo08080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:00 PM #11
paintballer929 (Banned)
Face Mower

Added that to the list, do you think I should PM a mod to ask to get this stickied?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:33 PM #12
spyder_dude
shred

has been a member for 10 years
Lifegaurding is a good job for a teen, you can do it at the beach or your local public pool.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 PM #13
skelaw (Banned)
Official German ST'er

This should be stickied
skelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:20 PM #14
paintballer929 (Banned)
Face Mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_dude View Post
Lifegaurding is a good job for a teen, you can do it at the beach or your local public pool.
Added^^
Old 04-13-2007, 11:19 PM #15
DontSkuffMyKicks7695

DontSkuffMyKicks7695 helped look for balloons
stock at a department store or somethin, i work at k mart and make 7 an hour, which isnt too bad because its above min and its easy as balls
Old 04-13-2007, 11:25 PM #16
drummerman9421

caddy=mad dough like 50 bucks a bag+free golf
Old 04-14-2007, 01:20 AM #17
spitfire1390

Thumbs up umpire or referee

Be a ref or umpire for some sport. i am in an organization and get paid 40 from them and then watever the league pays.(normally 15-25)so you make like 55+ for an hour and a half of work. i ump baaseball.
spitfire1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:49 PM #18
oonothing
Dirty D

Cook at resturant. I make pizzas and im 15.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 M6

417whp/386wtq
oonothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:53 PM #19
atomix1010
t3h own3ge

sell stuff
atomix1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:21 PM #20
skelaw (Banned)
Official German ST'er

Well what I do is a very tough job but it makes AWESOME money.Here it is

CAR WASH AND DETAILING!

I first do a normal car wash,do the tires ,wash the windows and etc...
Then I use some hand clay and knead it and do it all over the car.
Then I do a thorough washing again of just water to wipe it out again
then I get some liquid was and wipe down the car with it in CIRCULAR motion
Do the hood then move onto another part of the car but come back to the hood RIGHT AFTER it and wipe it down with a towel.You do NOT want it to stick to the car.
After that you just give it just a quick wash down of water then your done on the outside
If you want to go even farther you can get some leather cleaner and use it on there and just do that and if you want to go EVEN FARTHER you can use some rain-x and do that.

I ususally charge about 75 dollars for sedans and tiny cars but for SUVs and trucks I usualy charge 125.I make several thousand a summer and all this takes is 4 hours for one car.You can even do it do 2 cars a day and still have hours to mess around at night.I love this and you manage your own hours!I say this is one of the best....but I also live near alot of old people who love me so I guess they just give me work
skelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:55 PM #21
Paint and Air

Gun whoring, possible to make a good $500+ per week.
Paint and Air is offline   Reply With Quote