PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM #1
In-Hoc

In-Hoc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
In-Hoc plays in the APPA D5 division
Your thoughts about these markers?

I took my Brother-in-law with me last weekend to play and he fell in love. He quickly realized that he was outgunned and immediately started looking for a new (used) marker. He found four that he is looking at and I have not had experience with 3 or the 4 markers so I wanted everybody's thoughts (Good, Bad, or indifferent).

Ion: (Only marker that I know anything about on his list)
Worrgames MG-7
Shocker SFT
Proto SLG

He is on a tight budget and found all of these within his price range. Now I told him to look at a Spyder Fenix and Azodin Blitz (like mine) for the ease of maintaince, accessable parts, and low cost but he couldn't find a good deal on a used package like I did so he found package deals with all the above markers.

What's your thoughts?!?!?!?!?!?

By the way his budget is $150 - $175 for everything (Mask, Hopper, Marker, Tank (most likley a steel HPA), )

It's not the WILL to WIN, but rather the WILL to PREPARE to WIN that will make the difference!

In-Hoc Signo Vinces!
In-Hoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM #2
tlmiller

tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Hoc View Post
Ion: (Only marker that I know anything about on his list)
Garbage. They shoot fine, but having to tear an entire marker apart just to relube orings is, IMO, the worst design in the industry. I can never recommend an Ion that doesn't have bolt-out-back for this reason, it's just a superbly bad design choice.
Quote:
Worrgames MG-7
I know almost nothing about these, except there never was an aftermarket, and there's basically no support anymore, so I'd avoid it.
Quote:
Shocker SFT
Old, but not a bad choice. Still tons of parts out there for them for now, and once set up correctly they shoot quite nicely.
Quote:
Proto SLG
Low end sear tripper that wanted to be an automag but was nowhere near as nice. I'd definitely skip this.

2014 Vapor for sale only

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM #3
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I agree, the sft is about the only gun on there that I could genuinely not advise against. If you can give us your budget and what he need within that budget (I am assuming he needs a head to toe setup so thats what I would operate off of) then we can be of a lot more help. As it is, those choices are not the best.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 PM #4
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Ion: The only one worth looking at is the Ion XE. As said above, the standard Ion is a pain to work on. That all being said, you can find Ion XE's with upgrades for dirt cheap. So this might not be a bad option, especially if you can find one with a board, bolt upgrade, on/off asa and trigger and feednecks(two of the worst things about ions is the trigger and feedneck)

Worrgames MG-7: As said above, i know nothing about this marker... but that should also tell you they arent a popular choice. The feedneck looks terrible, the trigger looks terrible, the placement of the guage on the reg and the macro line looks like it'd be horrible to grab with your other hand. This would be the first gun i skip out of the lot.

Shocker SFT: Probably the best choice of them all. But it is old and lacks firing modes. Can be solved with aftermarket board. Personally, i'd look for a NXT shocker, you can get a 2009 one for around 200$ nowadays.

Proto SLG: Honestly, not a terrible gun, i remember mike at ****** reviewing this and the PMR and he said they were some of the best guns out for the price at the entry level bracket. That being said, i'd just look for a PMR, has a bolt clamping feedneck, better reg. You can find 08'ish PMRs for $100 these days... you cant go wrong at the price. I was just saying in another thread i took my PMR out to the field yesterday and it saw more playing time than my DM10 did (this was my first use of the PMR, so i had to give it some serious play before i could give a serious opinion on it). It never chopped, and with the right hopper (i was using a rotor), it can easily do 17+ BPS.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 PM #5
In-Hoc

As stated above his budget is minimal at best. $175 is what he was looking to spend.

"By the way his budget is $150 - $175 for everything (Mask, Hopper, Marker, Tank (most likley a steel HPA), )"

It's not the WILL to WIN, but rather the WILL to PREPARE to WIN that will make the difference!

In-Hoc Signo Vinces!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM #6
peacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Hoc View Post
As stated above his budget is minimal at best. $175 is what he was looking to spend.

"By the way his budget is $150 - $175 for everything (Mask, Hopper, Marker, Tank (most likley a steel HPA), )"
If thats his pricerange for everything, then yeah hes looking at 100-110 for a gun max ( reason i say that is because he should still get a good mask, i personally think thats one of the most important things to buy).

In the 100$ range, i'd say his best bet is a 2007/8 PMR.
Mask, he can probably get a decent one for 30$ used here
Hopper: Find a used halo
Tank: Find a used steel HPA

If he can muster up another 25$ and get his budget to 200$ it would greatly help him. I still think he should stick with a used PMR and then spend a couple extra bucks on a aluminum HPA tank or a Halo too hopper.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM #7
peacob

Now that i think about it more.... you're friend really does need to step up his budget a little more if he wants an electric setup. Any budget under $250 for everything just isnt going to cut it unless you have mad patience and can piece this setup together over a period of time and are a smart shopper.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:23 PM #8
In-Hoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
Now that i think about it more.... you're friend really does need to step up his budget a little more if he wants an electric setup. Any budget under $250 for everything just isnt going to cut it unless you have mad patience and can piece this setup together over a period of time and are a smart shopper.

That is why I told him to look for a used Blitz or a used Fenix. You can pick them up cheap and spend your money on the extra's. Not only that, both of them are very easy to work on. My Brother-in-law doesn't listen very well, and from time to time he has a tendency to make rash choices.

In-Hoc Signo Vinces!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:48 PM #9
Zippin35

well a good mask is 65+, a steelie is around 50+ so that leaves him with about $60 for a marker. He is either going to cut corners on quality or up his price. Might be a good idea to get him setup with a good mask and half decent hopper, then have him rent until he can save up.
New England Crusade #35
Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 PM #10
peacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35 View Post
well a good mask is 65+, a steelie is around 50+ so that leaves him with about $60 for a marker. He is either going to cut corners on quality or up his price. Might be a good idea to get him setup with a good mask and half decent hopper, then have him rent until he can save up.
You can definitely find a used profiler for 30-40$, steelies new are 50$ too, so finding a used steelie hpa tank for 30$ isnt unheard of. And then i've seen halo's and eggy3's go for 30$ pretty often.

Regardless even at bare minimums hes already at around 100$ for those three things leaving him 75$ for a marker.

I still stand by my suggestion that a PMR will be a good starter marker for him.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:24 PM #11
Zippin35

Agreed, but on a mask I find it is better to buy new for your first time. Same goes for generally all your gear when you first buy. Get stuff that you absolutely will not need to repair and get the full life out of it, all backed by warranties, not feedback.
New England Crusade #35
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 PM #12
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Darko9989 is playing at Living Legends V
Darko9989 is for the Gunfight
Darko9989 supports Pev's Paintball
Darko9989 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Darko9989 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Shocker. End of story. With the right upgrades and care it can easily out-shoot many of the high end guns of today. I never was a Smart Parts fan but I have to say I think the SFT/NXT Shockers are some of the best guns ever made.
Darko9989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 PM #13
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Hmmm.... I would also suggest a PMR on that budget. The gun shoots great for what it is. Its very easy to maintain as well. I dont want to get infractions for this but, pm me. I got a PMR that is black w/ blue on/off buttons, blue eye covers, blue clamping feedneck, blue virtue eyes, medium repair kit,owners manual, small thing of dye lube, halo v35, empire e-vents mask. The only thing he would need is a tank