PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 AM #1
ALLCAPS (Banned)
that recipe

what do

So I have a public speaking class that I am taking in college. Tomorrow I have to give my "final speech" (counts for a good amount of my grade). Now I am good at writing, in fact I am really good at writing (essays, speeches, etc. but not books, **** writing books I'm no author). BUT I suck *** at speaking in front of groups of people.

I chose to do my speech on world hunger and why it shouldn't be a problem but still is. I have graphics and statistics and whatnot, but I got to write the speech tonight after class. But I'm scared I'm going to **** up when I get in front of everyone. I gave another speech for my midterm and it was horrible. I got super nervous and the only time I spoke fluently was when I wasn't going off my speech/note cards, and was talking off the top of my head (if I try to memorize a speech, the second I get nervous I will forget it).

So what steps should I take in order to be more confident/comfortable? I mean I can talk to people fine, but standing in front of them and giving a speech while I have to stand perfectly straight, maintain eye contact, and not read from the cards, I get ****ed.

Anyone else have this problem?
ALLCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 AM #2
Not AzaTuR
Wax On Wax Off

xanax

/thread

XBLAzaTuR
Not AzaTuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 AM #3
ProtoBaller1991
The Grippiest Grip

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent

I do tv show things

ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM #4
iiDangerCloseBK
EAT MY SHORTS!

Annual Supporting Member
iiDangerCloseBK owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
iiDangerCloseBK supports Team VICIOUS
iiDangerCloseBK is an NCPA player
iiDangerCloseBK is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
iiDangerCloseBK is Legendary
iiDangerCloseBK supports DLX Technology
Imagine everyone naked. If that doesn't work, get naked.

Edit: Xanax

Axe User's Club | | Rotor Mafia | | Ninja User's Club | | Headband Ballers | | E-Flex Army | | World Ballas Club
iiDangerCloseBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM #5
ProtoBaller1991
The Grippiest Grip

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLCAPS View Post
So I have a public speaking class that I am taking in college. Tomorrow I have to give my "final speech" (counts for a good amount of my grade). Now I am good at writing, in fact I am really good at writing (essays, speeches, etc. but not books, **** writing books I'm no author). BUT I suck *** at speaking in front of groups of people.

So what steps should I take in order to be more confident/comfortable? I mean I can talk to people fine, but standing in front of them and giving a speech while I have to stand perfectly straight, maintain eye contact, and not read from the cards, I get ****ed.

Anyone else have this problem?
If I can pass a speech class, anyone can. I get nervous as hell talking in front of groups of random people. Just go up and do it.

I do tv show things

ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM #6
Totodile

do a couple shots before your speech
Totodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM #7
ALLCAPS (Banned)
that recipe

Xanax sounds like a good solution.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 AM #8
smeat
rolo tony

Zanex*
Braggin' about how you had it all dialed
Well what's up now
When your **** is
smeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 AM #9
incobWTF
Skywalkin' like Anakin

depending on the length of the speech you could try to do it off the top of your head with just a idea flowchart on a card, if you know the material well enough it shouldn't be much of a problem
incobWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM #10
fock0
Don't Tread On Me.

fock0 helped look for balloons
buy a tape recorder. then hit play and lip sync the ****. ya douche
Old 10-01-2012, 11:42 AM #11
dualimpact
I'm A Hypocrite

Annual Supporting Member
dualimpact helped look for balloons
Lots of Xanax and a few shots.
dualimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 AM #12
aimeagle21
I'm kind of a big deal!

Annual Supporting Member
aimeagle21 is a Supporting Member
aimeagle21 posts videos on PbNation
aimeagle21 plays in the APPA D4 division
aimeagle21 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
LMFAO^

naw man dont think to much about it, know your **** and know what you need to say, get up there and get **** done!
Fierce Photography!

Old style trust
aimeagle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 PM #13
dualimpact
I'm A Hypocrite

Annual Supporting Member
Yeah man don't be such a **** just ***** the **** so when you give your speech the **** is wi h the *****.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 PM #14
Maverick 44
|l|l|l|l|l|l|

Maverick 44 donated to help Peyton Trent
Maverick 44 supports our troops
Maverick 44 plays in the APPA D5 division
I used to be a nervous public speaker years ago. I have totally conquered that fear now, and am completely fine with speaking now. One thing that may seem obvious, but hey it may help, is that 99.9% of the time, your typical college kid audience does not really care about what you have to say (but in a good way. read on). They are, for the vast majority of the time, thinking about other things, worrying about their own speech, wondering how many times they should *** on their girlfriend that night , etc etc you get it. So get up there and be aware that even if you dont sound like the most confident chap ever...no one really cares how you do. (in a good way lol)

Now you don't have to worry about messing up b/c nobody will be judging you, their minds are elsewhere while you're speaking, even if they look like they are paying attention. Give a grand total of zero ****s while you're up there and just talk like a champ. Idk maybe this helps loosen you up some.
Maverick 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM #15
Strange1130
FTW

Strange1130 supports Team VICIOUS
my post got deleted wtf

a post about marijuana gets deleted but the xanax comments are allowed to stay? Makes sense mod.

"Originally posted by parkrats: Telling me to leave this thread is like telling a bear to leave the woods, it's my home."

"Originally posted by Rampager2000: I only wear them with questionable girls. Like, I won't not have sex with a whore. I'll just wrap it."

"Originally posted by IncobWTF: When idiots chirp with nothing to back it up i throw it right back at em, obviously."
Strange1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM #16
Not AzaTuR
Wax On Wax Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange1130 View Post
my post got deleted wtf

a post about marijuana gets deleted but the xanax comments are allowed to stay? Makes sense mod.
Mrarijuana is an illegel substance. Xanax is legal a prescription medication for those suffering from anxiety. noob.

XBLAzaTuR
Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 PM #17
Way2scary4u
I AM SCARY......MEOW

Way2scary4u is playing at Living Legends VI
Way2scary4u is playing at Living Legends VII
Way2scary4u supports Team VICIOUS
Way2scary4u supports Team VICIOUS
Way2scary4u supports Empire
Best thing to do is to look on top of every bodies head. Don't look at anyone directly. It looks like your looking at everybody when your not.

Also, are you allowed to have little note cards because those will help a lot. If you get nervous no one cares at all. Write bullets because if you get lost you can look at a bullet and go on from there. If you mess up just say stuff off the top of your head because no one actually knows what you wrote.

Go first if you can because if someone does better than you, the teacher will grade you according to how everybody else did.

Hope this helped and hopefully you do well on that speech
Way2scary4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM #18
Not AzaTuR
Wax On Wax Off

Just FYI... If you get nervous EVERYONE will notice. And you will be the one in the class that EVERYONE will remember. So don't **** up OP. I took a college speech class. You better not get nervous because once the butterflys come it will get WORSE AND WORSE!!! You will eventually begin to shiver and then shake vigorously. Your mumbling will turn into suttering. Evetually you will freeze up!! So try not to get any butterflys!! GOOD LUCK!!!

XBLAzaTuR
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM #19
dualimpact
I'm A Hypocrite

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange1130 View Post
my post got deleted wtf

We here at Pbnation do not advocate marijuana or allow discussion of its use. If you would like to discuss illegal substances please use another website. Thank you for your time and enjoy your 4 point infraction

-generic pbn post regarding drugs.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM #20
heedonkey

grow some balls.

/thread
heedonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 AM #21
ALLCAPS (Banned)
that recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick 44 View Post
I used to be a nervous public speaker years ago. I have totally conquered that fear now, and am completely fine with speaking now. One thing that may seem obvious, but hey it may help, is that 99.9% of the time, your typical college kid audience does not really care about what you have to say (but in a good way. read on). They are, for the vast majority of the time, thinking about other things, worrying about their own speech, wondering how many times they should *** on their girlfriend that night , etc etc you get it. So get up there and be aware that even if you dont sound like the most confident chap ever...no one really cares how you do. (in a good way lol)

Now you don't have to worry about messing up b/c nobody will be judging you, their minds are elsewhere while you're speaking, even if they look like they are paying attention. Give a grand total of zero ****s while you're up there and just talk like a champ. Idk maybe this helps loosen you up some.
Honestly that's what I usually try to think in order to get more confidence. I know that mainly only the teacher is paying attention. But either way generally I will **** up. I have the speech typed out but I'm worried it won't be 5-7 minutes like it needs to be.

But I do have Xanax (not much, 2.25mg) that I will take about 30 minutes before class. I'm hoping the Xanax will calm me down enough to read slowly. But the **** part is my speech is on world hunger and includes a bunch of statistics that I will suck at remembering. So we'll see how that goes.