Community Focus

Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM #1
HolmesBalla
thefifty

has been a member for 10 years
HolmesBalla plays in the PSP
HolmesBalla plays in the APPA D4 division
DM11, Can't reach 300 FPS

My DM11 cannot reach 300FPS, or higher. It is stuck at around 280-290, and then the HPR screw stops because it is backed out all the way. I have cleaned and re-lubed the entire gun. Tried a HP and medium pressure tank. Have tried many different dwell settings. I will be trying someone else's HPR on my gun tomorrow to figure out if the problem lies within the HPR.

My question is, does anyone know of any other causes for a problem like this besides the HPR? Maybe something I haven't tried or thought of.

If it does turn out being the HPR, how would I go about fixing that?

Thank you, any help is appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2012, 10:54 PM #2
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
Maybe missing some shims from the Hyper 3?
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 PM #3
HolmesBalla
thefifty

That was the consensus today between me and a few people trying to figure it out, either missing shims or a problem with the shim stack. I feel like the velocity should not be capping at 280 when the adjustment screw its backed out till it stops.

Does anyone know off hand the correct amount of shims in a Hyper 3?

Last edited by HolmesBalla : 09-29-2012 at 11:47 PM.
HolmesBalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:41 AM #4
georgek

georgek is playing at Living Legends VI
georgek has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
it comes with 12 shims stacked ()()()()()()...
I have had the same issue but i wasn't able to go above 260-270 fps..
the real problem was the ball size.. I was using the stock .688 barrel shooting GI * , ** and *** and those balls down here are tiny.. to understand haw much tiny, ti * I am shooting now just fits in the .678 eigenbarrel I have and it blows out without even putting my mouth on the barrel but just blowing fro 1 inch away from the barrel..
But i saw an increase of 30-40 fps..

When I used some BT munition with the stock .688 barrel I was getting 315-320 fps without changing any settings..

also be sure to lube the shim stack as well.. when talking to dye tech on the phone they told me that ()()()()()() work best in their regs and to make sure i lube each shim well... I guess that is why my dm10 came with lots of lube on the shim stack from the factory!
georgek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 AM #5
jojo750
shocktech DM5

Annual Supporting Member
jojo750 donated to help Peyton Trent
jojo750 supports Team VICIOUS
do you have access to a reg tester?
i would reset the reg.

there comes a point when adjusting the reg that you would be shooting 300fps, then if you keep turning it up, velocity would go down.

and i have to agree with georgek. with paint getting smaller and smaller, alot of air is lost if you arent sizing the paint and barrel.

good luck. hope its something simple to fix.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 AM #6
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
Paint/bore size makes a big difference, but if you turn your reg all the way out and it has the proper shims you will still probably have enough pressure to shoot paint over 300fps and blow out your tophat o-ring.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:06 PM #7
HolmesBalla
thefifty

I threw a practically new Hyper 3 on it today and it went right up to 330 FPS easily. So I've come to the conclusion that it is my reg.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:18 PM #8
georgek

with a pressure tester you will understand what is going on... regs dont go out like this.. at a point your old reg was shooting fine and now it is not..
it is not the solution to buy a new reg every time your velocity can go up..

a good clean, relube, oring and seat change and check of the pressure with tester will solve the problem.. if the pressure after that does not go up then your shim stack may be crashed..

I prefer the 10 dollar fix over the 80 dollar new purchase..

I right now have in front of me my dm10, fully maintained and it shoots 320 fps.. I also have the same exact marker of a team mate who gave it to me to set his trigger like mine.. He never cleaned the regs from the time he bought it back at 2010, with the exact same parameters as mine it shoot 250 and the same turns out on the hpr..
Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 PM #9
grss429
Gun Tech! & Field owner

grss429 plays in the PSP
grss429 posts videos on PbNation
grss429 plays in the APPA D4 division
grss429 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
grss429 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Yes, its most likely you're missing a shim.. or your reg has go moist and the lube has dried up, and or you have dirt in it.

My advice.. check shim stack stated as above... change your reg seat, relube and bam

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY FACEBOOK PAGE! WEBSITE COMING SOON www.facebook.com/bfinpbt

Owner/home field.
Come play at Nature of the game paintball in hampstead North Carolina (910) 270 2163
grss429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM #10
HolmesBalla
thefifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgek View Post
with a pressure tester you will understand what is going on... regs dont go out like this.. at a point your old reg was shooting fine and now it is not..
it is not the solution to buy a new reg every time your velocity can go up..

a good clean, relube, oring and seat change and check of the pressure with tester will solve the problem.. if the pressure after that does not go up then your shim stack may be crashed..
I didn't buy a Hyper 3, just tested one from another gun. My reg seat was changed, reg has been cleaned thoroughly and o-rings have been changed prior to this. I maintain my guns well, unfortunately I am not in control of what the person who owned it before me did (or didn't do).

You say it is possible for a shim stack to "crash"? At this point I feel that this is the only possibility left. Is there a place to buy new shims, or is that only through Dye directly?

I took a look at my Shims and there are 12 total. They are in this order ()()()()()(). When looking at Dye's website, I see that they are showing a shim stack in a Hyper 3 with 13 total shims, in this order ()()()()()()( .

EDIT: My problem with purchasing a pressure tester is that it will cost me $30 to figure out that I cannot get the reg higher than a certain PSI, I will need replacement parts, be it shims or whatever then in this case so that will be another X ($2/shim through Dye) amount of money. At that point I will be pretty close to just being able to buy a used or new Hyper 3 that works.

Last edited by HolmesBalla : 09-30-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:44 PM #11
WMine

WMine plays in the PSP
WMine plays in the MiLP
WMine plays in the APPA D3 division
Hey dude. Here is the problem man for 100%. It is your reg. Some reg's because of the shim stack get over 300 and some don't. I had the same problem with my DM 11. All you have to do is put 1/2 or 1 extra shim in the stack. My local shop did this for me and it was an instant fix. They put 1/2 of a shim (peelable) in the stack and it has worked perfectly from then out. You could do this yourself too by using the hyper 3 manual. Just get the same size shims that are already in there or have DYE send you some. It is an easy fix.
WMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM #12
HotxRod

Annual Supporting Member
HotxRod has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolmesBalla View Post
I didn't buy a Hyper 3, just tested one from another gun. My reg seat was changed, reg has been cleaned thoroughly and o-rings have been changed prior to this. I maintain my guns well, unfortunately I am not in control of what the person who owned it before me did (or didn't do).

You say it is possible for a shim stack to "crash"? At this point I feel that this is the only possibility left. Is there a place to buy new shims, or is that only through Dye directly?

I took a look at my Shims and there are 12 total. They are in this order ()()()()()(). When looking at Dye's website, I see that they are showing a shim stack in a Hyper 3 with 13 total shims, in this order ()()()()()()( .

EDIT: My problem with purchasing a pressure tester is that it will cost me $30 to figure out that I cannot get the reg higher than a certain PSI, I will need replacement parts, be it shims or whatever then in this case so that will be another X ($2/shim through Dye) amount of money. At that point I will be pretty close to just being able to buy a used or new Hyper 3 that works.

You dont need a whole new reg. If you want the cheap route, just add one shim. That should bring it up to where you need it. My recommendation though is to replace all the shims. And bring the total up 13 as well. Its never a bad idea to have a reg tester for future issues either.
HotxRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM #13
HotxRod

Annual Supporting Member
And please dont lube your shims..... -_-
Old 10-01-2012, 04:34 PM #14
HolmesBalla
thefifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotxRod View Post
And please dont lube your shims..... -_-
Yeah I was actually pretty curious about this because that guy was saying a Dye Tech told him to lube his shims. I was trying to figure out what benefit this would have? Wouldn't that be like lubing a spring?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM #15
grss429
Gun Tech! & Field owner

grss429 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Yeah I was actually pretty curious about this because that guy was saying a Dye Tech told him to lube his shims. I was trying to figure out what benefit this would have? Wouldn't that be like lubing a spring?
Hotrod is a dye tech along with my self, only difference is he works there I work at my field, lol anyways lubing shims is just pointless it makes them stick together, and just isn't a good idea.

like i said best advice is replacing all shims or just get one shim, replacing all is always better,

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY FACEBOOK PAGE! WEBSITE COMING SOON www.facebook.com/bfinpbt

Owner/home field.
Come play at Nature of the game paintball in hampstead North Carolina (910) 270 2163

Last edited by grss429 : 10-01-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 PM #16
HotxRod

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by grss429 View Post
Yes, its most likely you're missing a shim.. or your reg has go moist and the lube has dried up, and or you have dirt in it.

My advice.. check shim stack stated as above... change your reg seat, relube and bam
Bam
Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 PM #17
HotxRod

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
lol exactly
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM #18
georgek

I think that the dye tech I was talking to was right (no offense to anyone here)

''A most important aid to efficient and extended life of disc springs is the provision of some form of lubrication. For relatively low-duty disc spring applications, i.e. small numbers of deflection cycles, a liberal application of suitable solid lubricant, (e.g. molybdenum-disulphide grease), to the contact points and locating surfaces of the spring, is adequate.

For more severe applications of a dynamic or highly corrosive nature, the disc springs will benefit from maintained lubrication, and are often housed in an oil or grease filled chamber.''

source: http://www.bellevillesprings.com/dis...nstalling.html

Just make a search on belleville spring stack lubrication, you will find tons of proofs.. And also, there is friction between the shims, it is not like lubricating a spring..
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 PM #19
HotxRod

Annual Supporting Member
For this particular situation... lubing the shims just doesnt apply as a solution. Doesnt mean its not right to take care of them obviously. And I was simply trying to keep the mood light...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 PM #20
HotxRod

Annual Supporting Member
They come from the factory with a sufficient amount, throwing more on wont increase the velocity to where we need it. I laugh when I get guns in that look like they were dunked in a bucket of Dow... that was the motivation behind my comment.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 PM #21
grss429
Gun Tech! & Field owner

grss429 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotxRod View Post
They come from the factory with a sufficient amount, throwing more on wont increase the velocity to where we need it. I laugh when I get guns in that look like they were dunked in a bucket of Dow... that was the motivation behind my comment.
lol what do you have to say about this..? it was a customers gun i was working on having issues...

Owner/home field.