Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM #1933
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

Naumoff42 plays in the MiLP
Naumoff42 donated to help Peyton Trent
Naumoff42 supports DLX Technology
I found a brand new 2011 ninja 250 for $2900 but I feel like i'm getting ahead of myself right now. I know there would be no possible way for me to ride for a good couple of months anyway and I don't even have any gear yet.

Would getting an Arai helmet be overkill for basic road commuting? I know everyone says to pay what you feel your head is worth and I do want to be safe so I don't have an issue with paying so much for a helmet. I just want to know if I should be going a cheaper route instead.

Let me buy your Philly Luxe

DaLuxe Mob

Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM #1934
B-RADD
Sassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballblk13 View Post
Congrats!! It looks good! Gotten a chance to ride it yet?
Not yet, as I don't have my motorcycle licence yet lol. But I was able to watch him ride it and my buddy is riding it home for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post
brings back memories.

let me know if you want some parts to make that thing a knee dragging machine
The only parts I plan to get are new tires come spring and maybe a two brothers slip on, but prices for those new are outrageous and I can't find any used that are reasonable.

Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up, I close my eyes

Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM #1935
paintballblk13
►Kyle◄

paintballblk13 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
paintballblk13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paintballblk13 supports Bob Gurnsey
paintballblk13 posts videos on PbNation
paintballblk13 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RADD View Post

Not yet, as I don't have my motorcycle licence yet lol. But I was able to watch him ride it and my buddy is riding it home for me.
Nice, that's barely any miles on it! Sounds like fun, be safe.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM #1936
teen
[]D [] []v[] []D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naumoff42 View Post
I found a brand new 2011 ninja 250 for $2900 but I feel like i'm getting ahead of myself right now. I know there would be no possible way for me to ride for a good couple of months anyway and I don't even have any gear yet.

Would getting an Arai helmet be overkill for basic road commuting? I know everyone says to pay what you feel your head is worth and I do want to be safe so I don't have an issue with paying so much for a helmet. I just want to know if I should be going a cheaper route instead.
definitely not overkill. riding in an arai; imo, is like driving in a mercedes lol.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM #1937
automagwarrior

has been a member for 10 years
automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

You can get a scorpion exo 700 for 1/5 the price that will last you a solid two seasons and still be useful as a backup lid afte that.

I love my Arai lid but I only paid 200$ on it. I say wait for an end or begining of season deal to scoop up an Arai lid, instead of paying full pice for it right from the get go.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM #1938
teen
[]D [] []v[] []D

this is the perfect season to be buying motorcycle gear.. after the holidays and still brutally cold across most of the nation
Old 01-03-2013, 05:11 PM #1939
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
You can get a scorpion exo 700 for 1/5 the price that will last you a solid two seasons and still be useful as a backup lid afte that.

I love my Arai lid but I only paid 200$ on it. I say wait for an end or begining of season deal to scoop up an Arai lid, instead of paying full pice for it right from the get go.
I'm in no rush so ill probably just wait to get the arai since everyone seems to have such positive reviews on them. Where is a good place to look for deals on them though? I don't know any of the big name shops that would have stuff.

DaLuxe Mob

Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM #1940
teen
[]D [] []v[] []D

motorcyclesuperstore
kneedraggers
motomummy

those are my top 3 for online purchases
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM #1941
B-RADD
Sassy

So far my immediate plans for the Ninja are:
change oil
dump tank and fill with fresh gas (it sat for 3 months or so)
new air filter
new spark plugs
carb rebuild kit (very very slight leak, might as well)

Spring plans:
new tires, thinking pirelli sport demons from reviews
maybe two brothers slip on

What octane gas do you fellas recommend running? Any specific kind of oil aside from what the manual calls for? Anything else I should do that I'm forgetting?

Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up, I close my eyes

Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM #1942
automagwarrior

87 will be fine. Keep an eye on tire pressure throughout the season. It's 10x more important on a bike than it is in your car.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM #1943
xXinpayneXx
MW

My Arai is going on it's 3rd year, fits perfect, and feels amazing on your head, plus the aerodynamics that lower priced helmets simply don't have.

I won't replace it with anything else.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 PM #1944
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post

I want that lid so badly lol it fits my head perfectly.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 PM #1945
automagwarrior

Mine too
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 PM #1946
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

:jealous:

Ill just have to purchase mine at full price. I haven't tried on every helmet in the world, or even a tiny fraction of them, but I am confident that vector 2 is made for my noggin.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM #1947
automagwarrior

Try my shoei. I think I'm going to ride with my vector next season.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM #1948
4literranger485
xtreme noob

4literranger485 supports Team VICIOUS
4literranger485 supports Empire
i went from exo-400, to exo-700, to shoei rf-1000. Yes the EXO's are very good for the money.....but still the shoei's are leaps and bounds better.

Better aero, less buffeting, MUCH quieter, visor half-click (love that option here in the hot desert). come's with removable breath gaurd and chin gaurd. ventilation works much better IMO
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM #1949
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
I currently wear an HJC FS10. Thinking about picking up a Scorpion EXO 1100 for my next helmet this spring. Anyone here have any experience with them?

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM #1950
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

I know i've been asking a ton of questions lately but what are the most important pieces of riding gear i should spend the most on or buy first?

I plan to get an arai helmet first and then I know I need a good pair of gloves. After that i'd probably get some kind of back protector and a jacket (or would I be better to just get a jacket with some protection in it? How necessary are pants and boots though? I wouldn't be doing anything more than recreational riding around town and slight highway riding.

DaLuxe Mob

Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 AM #1951
tyler151

tyler151 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tyler151 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hey i just stumbled across this thread, i work in the moto industry at a moto shop so if you all want/need anything hit me up .

the exo 11 is a pretty awesome helmet, scorpions first carbon kevlar blend helmet comes with a flip down visor, id suggest trying one on before you buy, as they (scorpion brand) tend to run a lil small.

as for the most important gear , spend as much as you possibly can

helmet
jacket
gloves

in that order.
if you have an idea on what you want hit me up with models and sizes, and ill see what kind of price i can get you,
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM #1952
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
I know i've been asking a ton of questions lately but what are the most important pieces of riding gear i should spend the most on or buy first?

I plan to get an arai helmet first and then I know I need a good pair of gloves. After that i'd probably get some kind of back protector and a jacket (or would I be better to just get a jacket with some protection in it? How necessary are pants and boots though? I wouldn't be doing anything more than recreational riding around town and slight highway riding.
Obviously if you go down you want to have on all the gear you can get your hands on. But it all comes down to what you're willing to wear when you ride.

IMO, boots are a must. I'd never ride without a full face helmet, gloves and boots. I rarely ride without a jacket and know that I shouldn't when I do.

And while I know I should wear some pants designed for riding with crash protection, I don't and only know 1 person that wears riding pants on a regular basis. For me they just aren't practical.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM #1953
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler151 View Post
hey i just stumbled across this thread, i work in the moto industry at a moto shop so if you all want/need anything hit me up .

the exo 11 is a pretty awesome helmet, scorpions first carbon kevlar blend helmet comes with a flip down visor, id suggest trying one on before you buy, as they (scorpion brand) tend to run a lil small.

as for the most important gear , spend as much as you possibly can

helmet
jacket
gloves

in that order.
if you have an idea on what you want hit me up with models and sizes, and ill see what kind of price i can get you,
Welcome to the thread Tyler. I just might hit you up on that EXO 1100 before long. I'll try one on at the local dealership and see how it fits.

Closed Thread