PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:38 PM #295
binaryterror
Static?

binaryterror is a Supporting Member
Exactly. If you plan on any amount of highway riding, do NOT get the 250. They really suck on the highway.

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2012, 12:39 PM #296
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballler2269 View Post
Figured this would be a solid time to ask since it doesn't look like anything else is being discussed. I'm going to purchase a bike next spring. I've already came to the conclusion that my first bike isn't going to be a gixxer750 or an R1. So basically:

Ninja 250r vs SV650S for your first bike?

I think the SV650 will be a great 2nd bike for you after you've spent a year or 2 on a smaller bike like a Ninja 250. In my opinion, the SV650 is a bit much for a beginner bike.

IMO, you should start on a bike like a Ninja 250/300, CBR250 or GS500. All of those bikes are quick but not really fast. They are all cheap to buy and own. And, they all hold their resale value so you should be able to sell them for about what you paid even a few years later. I sold my Ninja 250 for $300 more than I paid for it after riding it for 3 years and putting 14K miles on it. And to be honest, I often miss it.

While those bikes aren't "fast" they are quick enough to make you faster than most traffic on 4 wheels. And because they aren't stupid fast they are very forgiving of stupid mistakes that new riders made. And there are a lot of them. And because they are easy to ride, they inspire confidence which is important to learning to ride properly. You're much more likely to push a bike that you aren't afraid is going to try and kill you if you screw up.

Even though I had ridden for several years as a teenager (1988-91, when I started riding again in 2008 I purchased a 2007 Ninja 250. I rode it for 3 years and don't regret a second of it. There is an old saying that "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." There's a lot of fun to be had riding the **** out of a small bike. If I were to ride my current bike like that I'd probably be dead or in jail. That's why I miss my little 250.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Last edited by tonybhall : 10-21-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:18 PM #297
dj8565
FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
The 250 outright lacks the ability to quickly and safely pass cars. That's the only thing I don't like about it. It does alright around 40 and 50, but when someone is doing 50 and I want to be doing 65 you really need the same amount of space that a car does, and you need to plan carefully. You can't just zip around people like a bigger bike could.

I took mine out on 57 last night. Throttle cracked wide open, in a full tuck, nearly bouncing off the rev limiter and I was doing like 95.

I agree, the pull in 5th & 6th isn't there. So trying to pass at highway + speeds just isn't fun.

Got mine up to 106 today and was slowly climbing at ~11k.

I bought a 250 as my first and still have it. I'd recommend it to anyone getting into motorcycles. The only situation where a bigger bike might be more "desirable" would be if you're going to be commuting daily at 70+.

PSN- dj8565
Old 10-21-2012, 01:54 PM #298
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I should have mentioned though, when you start out riding you should not be passing people on double yellow or "zipping" between anyone. You should focus on riding properly and safely.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:14 PM #299
pballler2269

pballler2269 helped look for balloons
Totally surprised by the quick responses I've been reading up for a while and everyone seems to say the same thing. My neighbor actually has GSXR750 and a CBR250. If I could get a good deal on the CBR i'd jump on it. He hasn't even moved it since last February? I believe. If not, I will probably end up going with the SV650 just for the fact that i'll be doing a lot of highway riding.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 PM #300
binaryterror
Static?

If you are doing a lot of highway riding then I definitely recommend the SV. On the 250 you get blown all over by wind and the thing is buzzing at 75. Hated mine on the highway.

I just don't want you to end up parking the thing because you don't enjoy riding it.

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM #301
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Put a K&N oil filter on my bike yesterday.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM #302
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

]
You shouldn't ever put yourself in a position that you have to zip around cars using the bikes power. there is always another, better way out. i know 62hp isn't a lot at all, but to someone who has zero motorcycling experience, yes, that's a lot. mine doesn't suck on the highway either, i ride it all over the place at a regular 80-100 MPH, for hours on end and hundreds of miles at a time. passing is never an issue, even at the top end. i'm still passing faster than the majority of cars out there. just because you can't rocket by in the blink of an eye doesn't mean it lacks passing power. the ninja 250 is just as capable as any other motorcycle. y'all are just spoiled by your displacement. and blown over by the wind? that has never been an issue on my 250. hell, it's so much less of an issue compared to my cb450. my cb450 was all over the place. the ninja is so stable and smooth compared to my cb. sounds to me like more of you need to take a ride on some humbling machines more often.

however, this is a question of if you have prior street experience, or any 2 wheeled motorized racing experience. if you've piloted a motorcycle before and spent enough time riding to be familiar with how they operate and ride, i'd choose the sv 650 over the ninja 250 every time. fresh out of the MSF course with ZERO experience on anything with 2 wheels other than a bicycle? the 250 will suit you better.

adam, mine can get to 105.

Last edited by Milky Spore : 10-21-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:41 PM #303
pballler2269

Just hopped my neighbors fence to grab a basketball. I'm going to say he actually has a GSXR1k thats stretched, the CBR is probably a 600, and he has a wrecked gixxer sitting in the grass. I guess i'll just talk to him when he gets home tonight.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:04 PM #304
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

i saw some dude on a stretched busa with some blindingly chrome rims and the brightest white and purple paint i've ever seen. of course he had his ho with him too. can't ride your busa without your ho.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:18 PM #305
SA_4_LIFE
#EndProhibition2012

SA_4_LIFE has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
I think the SV650 will be a great 2nd bike for you after you've spent a year or 2 on a smaller bike like a Ninja 250. In my opinion, the SV650 is a bit much for a beginner bike.

IMO, you should start on a bike like a Ninja 250/300, CBR250 or GS500. All of those bikes are quick but not really fast. They are all cheap to buy and own. And, they all hold their resale value so you should be able to sell them for about what you paid even a few years later. I sold my Ninja 250 for $300 more than I paid for it after riding it for 3 years and putting 14K miles on it. And to be honest, I often miss it.

While those bikes aren't "fast" they are quick enough to make you faster than most traffic on 4 wheels. And because they aren't stupid fast they are very forgiving of stupid mistakes that new riders made. And there are a lot of them. And because they are easy to ride, they inspire confidence which is important to learning to ride properly. You're much more likely to push a bike that you aren't afraid is going to try and kill you if you screw up.

Even though I had ridden for several years as a teenager (1988-91, when I started riding again in 2008 I purchased a 2007 Ninja 250. I rode it for 3 years and don't regret a second of it. There is an old saying that "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." There's a lot of fun to be had riding the **** out of a small bike. If I were to ride my current bike like that I'd probably be dead or in jail. That's why I miss my little 250.
this right here. my first bike was a ninja 500 and i loved that bike so much and it got 55mpg. and after riding it for a year i could keep up to gsxr's through the twisties

ST:A where station wagons are still racecars

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Domestics
Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 PM #306
pballler2269

Katana 600? Thoughts?
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3338654811.html
Old 10-21-2012, 06:02 PM #307
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Spore View Post
]
You shouldn't ever put yourself in a position that you have to zip around cars using the bikes power.
Going faster is the easist and safest way to avoid like 75% of all situations.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:08 PM #308
zoink
cats cats cats

zoink is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post

kevin, i will probably be headed up into VA a bit this sunday.
ya saw your message...busy unfortunately.

there's a skydiving place about 2 hours from both of us...we should do it next weekend.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM #309
adgergewh

i was talking to a friend of a friend on friday. she was trashed during a bachelorette party and she said she saw this "beautiful new white gixxer" and she got on it and happened to hit the kickstand and it tipped over on her. she had to call over to some random guys to get her out from underneath. during this whole story she is laughing and i was like "did you find the guy? how bad was the damage?" "hahaha no i got the hell out of there. i looked for damage though and there wasn't even a scratch".

i want to punch people in the face who even think about sitting on a random persons bike. this girl gets on, tips it over, and is joking about it right afterwards. i'm willing to bet the fairing got scratched, the mirror got scuffed/broken, and the clutch or shift lever is bent or broken. stupid *****.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 PM #310
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

I'm scary looking enough that people leave my motorcycle alone. Not that I dress like a pirate or anything... just the way it is.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 PM #311
xXinpayneXx
MW

I think a sv650 will be my next bike for the street. Already owned one on the track.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM #312
binaryterror
Static?

i'd still like a super motard first

Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 PM #313
Flyersfan707
Bo$$ hog

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgergewh View Post
i was talking to a friend of a friend on friday. she was trashed during a bachelorette party and she said she saw this "beautiful new white gixxer" and she got on it and happened to hit the kickstand and it tipped over on her. she had to call over to some random guys to get her out from underneath. during this whole story she is laughing and i was like "did you find the guy? how bad was the damage?" "hahaha no i got the hell out of there. i looked for damage though and there wasn't even a scratch".

i want to punch people in the face who even think about sitting on a random persons bike. this girl gets on, tips it over, and is joking about it right afterwards. i'm willing to bet the fairing got scratched, the mirror got scuffed/broken, and the clutch or shift lever is bent or broken. stupid *****.
Dumb **** needs to get mollywhopped.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 PM #314
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
IMO, brand new riders probably shouldn't be on the interstate or making 90+ mph passes.

I rode my 250 on the interstate 44 miles a day. I wouldn't want to take it on a really long interstate trip. But it was fine for my commute. I was able to pass on the interstate on it better than I could in either of my cars. I think it just depends on the average speed people in your area drive. People tend to run about 75-80 around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgergewh View Post

i want to punch people in the face who even think about sitting on a random persons bike. this girl gets on, tips it over, and is joking about it right afterwards. i'm willing to bet the fairing got scratched, the mirror got scuffed/broken, and the clutch or shift lever is bent or broken. stupid <del>*****</del>.
You should have told your friends friend that she was a ***** and deserved to have her *** beat.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 AM #315
SA_4_LIFE
#EndProhibition2012

SA_4_LIFE has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballler2269 View Post
there ok, i had a geared katana as my last bike and honestly i prefered my ninja 500, only difference really was the katana had more of a top end than the ninja, but the ninja could at least get a wheel off the ground

ST:A where station wagons are still racecars

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Domestics
Closed Thread